• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Labo isn't actually a uniquely Nintendo idea – in fact, they're a bit late to the party. Tech startup Piper, for example, creates a kit employing a Raspberry Pi and a Minecraft-like game to teach young kids how to build a computer. The company is growing quickly, with funding hitting $10 million last fall and over 1,000 schools using its kits to teach engineering and coding. (Its cofounder Mark Pavlyukovskyy was featured on this year's 30 Under 30 in Education.)

It's an obvious niche for Nintendo, who will certainly be one of the biggest players in the space and who can provide significant scaling to this concept.

Compared to say Piper, Labo is more simplified, though not necessarily to a fault. It should still be able to put children in the mind space to think like a programmer. Nintendo reps showed further possibilities of Garage, like repurposing the motorbike wheel to instead move the RC car, or to create a touchscreen guitar the player can strum, or to create a vending machine that spits out soft drinks. It's not a stretch to imagine this in a classroom. Suffice it to say, unlike previous accessories from Nintendo's GameCube and Wii days, Labo seems far more expandable and adaptable, and that should be a winning combo when it hits store shelves.

The company has followed a few key philosophies during this resurgent period. For one, the Switch is a versatile yet easy-to-understand piece of tech; its more idiosyncratic elements never overwhelm its sleek design. Secondly, Nintendo has stuck by its promise to provide a consistent library of games to its users, which hints at a third key indicator for the Switch's strength in the marketplace: its software attach rates. Back in December, during an interview with Forbes' Dave Ewalt, President and Chief Operating Officer of Nintendo of America Reggie Fils-Aimé said, "If you're able to get a game to attach to one out of every five systems, you're doing pretty well." Meanwhile at Nintendo:

Here are some cool stats about Nintendo Switch software.

61% of Nintendo Switch owners have a copy of Super Mario Odyssey.
The attach rates for Mario Kart 8 and Zelda are just under 50%.
Splatoon 2 is selling to around 1 in 3 owners.

These attach rates are extremely high. pic.twitter.com/siJfKOPUzz

— Daniel Ahmad (@ZhugeEX) January 31, 2018

These same winning philosophies – the multitudinous use, the accessibility, the dedicated user base – can be seen in Labo. It seems like a decent bet Nintendo will be able to continue its hot streak heading into its next fiscal year with the launch of Labo. It's a product parents will no doubt grab for the Switch, and if it garners significant buy-in, it can continue mining it for revenue through new kits and perhaps live-service updates, an area of desired growth for Nintendo.

Basically, Nintendo is probably going to make a bunch of money, to the shock of no one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...endo-labo-looks-like-a-sure-hit/#161e460f6ab4

It's going to shock quite a few people who live exclusively a gamer lifestyle.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It will, but I still think the real goldmine will only surface when they figure out the way to get a mainstream killer app for it.

Like, say, a Wii Sports esque game where you make your tennis racket, baseball bat, golf club, etc. out of cardboard.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I think this is a given yeah. I think the hardest part for Nintendo would be to have consumers keep interest in the product over a longer period of time with constantly new applications and new cardboard designs.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because families might need to get a second Switch if they dont want have their system be occupied non-stop as a labo test kit by the children lol.

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It will, but I still think the real goldmine will only surface when they figure out the way to get a mainstream killer app for it.

Like, say, a Wii Sports esque game where you make your tennis racket, baseball bat, golf club, etc. out of cardboard.
Labo in of itself is a killer app. What's important is ensuring there is as little hindrance for a community to develop around it.

Nintendo controlling who can talk about it post launch on YouTube will hurt it.

The customization software will heavily influence how much people can get out of the prebuilt projects.

If schools don't see enough value in it and engineering competitions don't alllow labo bots that will limit its reach beyond conventional sales methods for games.

If 3rd party toy companies and peripheral makers don't see a way to leverage or emulate labo innovation will slow down and there will be less talk about these type of projects in general.

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
gvEUIKp.gif
gvEUIKp.gifv

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Hey, look, a ZhugeEX quote in a Forbes article!

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with the article. There's also a solid chance Nintendo is going to pull in a lot of tablet-friendly edutainment software for kids which could position it as the obvious tablet device to buy for your children in lieu of something like an iPad. Wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of school districts ordering Switches and Labo kits in bulk.

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
by who?

I think this is a given yeah. I think the hardest part for Nintendo would be to have consumers keep interest in the product over a longer period of time with constantly new applications and new cardboard designs.
someone mention the game has a basic code like function "if - Then" so maybe they can release an eventual mode that let people make their one mini programs or stuff.

Funny Face

Dec 5, 2017

Yeah, a Labo Sports pack would do really well if the motion controls were significantly improved.

Nintendo already has a guitar accessory ready to go, so a Rock Band or Recording Studio game would be pretty straightforward.

And with how accurate GameXplain said the robot game was courtesy of its pulley system, dance and fitness games with better fidelity would be great fits.

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
What was impressive from listening to the game explain video was that compared to Wii music labo can account for how you strike piano keys like a real analog system.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about the initial kits, but if it's a success they can keep making and selling these.
Maybe make a deal with schools so they can use it for some classes.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017

Those things don't fit with the DIY and STEM appeal of Labo. I don't think they would be killer apps at all.