• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This also showed what happened alot this week in the Anthem threads with Destiny comparisons. I mean i get it. Destiny is the most well known out there atm of the looter shooters.
So it easy for that quick remark. Until you look abit further.

Yes, you could draw a few comparisons to say, Destiny's Warlock, but honestly, Anthem feels like it's going someplace entirely different than Destiny with its third-person, action oriented gameplay. I couldn't help but feel like I was watching some futuristic version of Diablo 3's Wizard in action, spamming elemental abilities while warping around the battlefield.

All in all, Anthem probably reminds me the most of Warframe, another third person loot shooter that rarely relies on hiding behind cover, and is all about fast movement and big damage combos. But even that doesn't seem entirely accurate, and Anthem really does feel like it may have managed to carve out its own niche that is unlike anything else in the increasingly crowded loot shooter landscape, and that's impressive

I don't know if this necessarily means that Anthem will be better than Destiny, but it's definitely going to be going after its audience hard come February. I think one advantage that isn't talked about all that often is that Anthem may have an advantage over much of its competition as it has zero focus on PvP play, which simply doesn't exist in the game. That's why I keep comparing it to Diablo, where you can make these combo-heavy synergy builds that are able to just tear through PvE enemies, blowing up everything onscreen, while clearly that's a concept that wouldn't work at all in a PvP setting. And for PvE focused players, that's an incredibly attractive prospect.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...absolutely-nothing-like-destiny/#7235014d2d82

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Its just EA Warframe but slower and with a less interesting artstyle but there are alot of things this game shares with Destiny.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, interesting. I've largely been apathetic toward Anthem, but the Warframe and Diablo comparisons have me intrigued.

Also, unrelated to the game but this sentence threw my mind into a tailspin trying to read it
I think one advantage that isn't talked about all that often is that Anthem may have an advantage over much of its competition as it has zero focus on PvP play, which simply doesn't exist in the game.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very few have been saying the combat looks like Destiny? Which seems to be the focus of the article.

People making destiny comparisons are talking about the overall structure of the game. And I don't really see any argument that one could seriously make against that claim based on current information about the game. Like, which of the two games am I describing here - The game is set in a futuristic world, taking place among the ruins and relics of a once greater civilization. One of the overarching mysterious of the game is - "what happened to cause this". The gameplay itself is focused mostly around doing various activities, this can include story missions and more pve focused "endgame" types of content. These can be done solo of in small groups. Combat involves a good amount of mobility, as well as using various weapons and abilities to defeat the enemies. Progression is tied to levels and loot upgrades for gear slots

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Considering that Warframe and Destiny are often compared to each other, this doesn't exactly bolster confidence that the games are different. The intent is that this is still a shooter with semi-/open-worlds that are meant to be explored with friends. Loot will likely play a big part of it. The story experience is limited to the main player.

I get that the feel of the gameplay of Destiny and Warframe are different, having played both, but ignoring the huge amount of videos that have compared those two games that came out both in 2018 and in 2017 ignores the amount of discussion that has been showing how similar they are.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Loot shooters are a relatively new genre still, so it makes sense that people don't quite have the context to see something on its own terms. I remember Destiny being described similarly as an amalgam of certain other parts of games until it was released.

Hopefully the same will happen with Anthem, where once released we can start using it to innaccurately describe other future game releases.

Nov 23, 2017
Love destiny pvp, but this is exactly what I've been saying and no one listens. It's not a FPS, it's a TPS, it has dialogue choices, and no pvp which I do for half my destiny game time. It will be a completely different experience.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But they're all similar because they're class-based looter shooters. Warframe, Destiny, and Anthem even more-so due to them being sci-fi.

What sets Destiny apart is its raids in my opinion. I haven't seen anything from Anthem that suggests it'll try anything similar to those.

Also, Warframe just feels unpolished as hell most of the time. Last time I tried getting back into it, I couldn't progress past a main mission, because a year or so ago they changed how the AI works, which broke a boss fight they haven't bothered fixing.

Also, unrelated to the game but this sentence threw my mind into a tailspin trying to read it
I think I just had a stroke.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think most can determine Anthem and Destiny obviously play differently. All of the online looter shooters are different in their minute-to-minute gameplay involving combat. That much is obvious. The comparisons are being made because they're all within the same genre and all have a pretty similar gameplay loop and structure. Which is more than fair to compare in that regard.

Destiny is only compared to it more than other online looter shooters because it is the most popular one. The one that set the genre into motion, at that.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It's a huge advantage for me. Destiny PVP is so bad its existence makes the rest of the game worse, and they spend time and resources supporting it when lack of PVE content is their biggest problem. The Division at least did some interesting things with PVP, but I'd vastly prefer more PVE content to dark zone stuff.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It never was, for most here it was just another stick to try and beat Destiny with, just like Division before it and Warframe before that.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
It's a huge advantage for me. Destiny PVP is so bad its existence makes the rest of the game worse, and they spend time and resources supporting it when lack of PVE content is their biggest problem. The Division at least did some interesting things with PVP, but I'd vastly prefer more PVE content to dark zone stuff.
Oh I'm not arguing the content of the statement, it's just written in the worst way possible.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yeah because it's Warframe with ME Andromeda assets.

Considering in the first reveal they heavily promoted this for the single player, and now it looks just another of those ongoing games which is $60 instead of free to play? I'm a bit confused on that.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Considering in the first reveal they heavily promoted this for the single player, and now it looks just another of those ongoing games which is $60 instead of free to play? I'm a bit confused on that.

Uhh no. Like in the very first reveal the talk in the beginning already about the coop and playing with friends

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

There's so much wrong with this post.

Here's the game's description from the 2017 trailer:
In Anthem™, a new shared-world action-RPG from EA's BioWare studio, team up with friends as Freelancers—the bold few with the courage to leave civilization behind and explore a landscape of primeval beauty.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
When was that, as I don't remember it at all.

Just rewatched Anthem first gameplay reveal and yes, my bad, for some reason i thought it was single player probably because at the EA conference before that they talked only about how beautiful and open-world the game is, or maybe because it was heavily scripted.

Still, it looks a LOT like Warframe, with ME Andromeda assets and (even XCX in the world design) but it's 60 bucks on top of microtransactions/loot boxes.

Last edited:

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Reminded me more of The Division, honestly... except set in Hawaii, with a first person hub... with jetpacks and power rushes but no Dark Zone.

If it was meant to feel like Destiny, it didn't quite do it... although, that's not a bad thing. Maybe the Forbes contributor merely expected it to be.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forbes' contributors back at it again with an article that reads like one of my hot takes - Uninformed and addressing an argument that no one relevant has ever made.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Anthem is going to be the biggest disaster in entertainment history, there will be case studies on it for decades to come.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
a shooter with no PvP

Still interested in this, but that's a massive blow in my opinion.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
If it's like Diablo then good. But if it's like destiny where I finish the story, the strikes, and the raids in 2 weeks and then am just playing because the gameplay loop then, not good.

Probably my most curious game of early 2019.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
An interesting game target for no PvP. If the PvE is so good I'll likely not care there is no PvP. Destiny's gambit is hella fun but I prefer the matchmade or party based strikes/raids etc. Anthem is still on track for me.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I won't lie, I'll try the demo, but everything I saw so far was boring as fuck, Destiny or no Destiny.
I only hope it's fun to play, because it sure as shit isn't fun to watch.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
My worry with Anthem is not anything to do with Destiny, but the very samey looking environments thus far and the same problems that have plagued every looter shooter so far.

And since there's no PvP the PvE loop needs to be very satisfying but I'm worried it won't be.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Things that make Anthem different than destiny:

- Open World
- Third person
- Dialogue choices
- Matchmaking for everything
- Combo modifiers
- Aesthetic customization that doesnt affect stats
- Ability to switch between suits anytime

To name a few...

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I think it's hard to avoid Destiny being Bungie bunched around so many ideas like a rag doll in that game until it's celebrated, other games can use similar ideas.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
For my friends and I we are coming from Warframe and instead of frames we see Iron Man suits so we are pretty excited. I hope there is no equivalent to the bloody light level from Destiny, heck if it did not put a wall on progression and it gated everything from that point on, ugh.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was never looking like a Destiny-game besides the loot structure tbh. I tried that super secret alpha thing and I had my issues with it (technical, mainly) but I am looking forward to a smooth, polished demo to see how the actual gameplay loop feels. That makes or breaks the game for me, because I'm definitely into a third person Diablo 3 if that's what they managed to pull off. No PvP doesn't sound bad considering the dumpster fire Destiny PvP is.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't been so 'on the fence' about a game in years.
Can't wait for reviews to find out if it's rewarding as a solo player that doesn't want to voice chat with rando's.
Is the story going to be good?
I was super keen on Destiny at first but by the time The Taken King dropped I had no desire to continue playing. It was just an empty, directionless grind.