• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Comic book movies are in, anime movies aren't. Video game movies have that stigma of being shitty as well, so Tomb Raider was fighting against that perception. Don't regret seeing any of them, but Alita and Tomb Raider just so happen to be the weaker ones for me....particularly Alita. Just couldn't connect with the movie in any way, and that affected the action for me. It looked cool, but I just didn't care about anything happening, so it wasn't exciting.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It extends further than that though. The point seems to be that audiences want to see specific movies right now in droves (MCU/comic movies are hot) and some other female led films essentially fall into bombs like any other movie.

It's not super enlightening but there's a point.
i don't really see how that's any different from any other 'marvel movie bad' take but with some faux wokeness stapled on but ok

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i saw Annihilation in theaters, thats worth 5 woman-led movies, so im still covered for now

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I like superhero movies and thought Alita and Tomb Raider looked like shit.

Really cracked that code.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a poor test case because I see few movies in theaters. I did see Wonder Woman but none of the others in theaters. Would see Captain Marvel but I've got a baby now. Saw Tomb Raider on HBO. Thought it was a solid watch but not theater worthy.

We'll obsess over the notion of a female Indiana Jones or a female James Bond and yet ignore Tomb Raider and Atomic Blonde.

Atomic Blonde was fucking rad, but the title made me laugh at it until I saw some trailers and checked it out on a plane.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...I kinda saw them all besides Tomb Raider, though?

I didn't really want to see that because it was an unnecessary reboot that looked too similar to the game and I would've much preferred they kept Angelina Jolie around.

I don't get the point. 🤔

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Tomb Raider was a terrible movie (and looked like ot was going to be from the start). I didn't go see Alita because I hate her CGI face, it felt unnecessary. Captain Marvel I'm not super interested to see, but I'm mildly invested in the universe, so why not.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WW and CP did well Cos they are good movies with actors with eyes that are not fucked up.*

*Nick Fury aside.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
wonder woman was hardly part of that cinematic universe lol

if anything, being a part of the DCEU should have worked against it coming off those 3 garbage films

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tomb Raider and Alita weren't well reviewed. I don't have time to see everything. Captain Marvel was borderline whether I would see it or not... glad I did.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is a bit weird that a movie like Captain Marvel gets propped up as tentpole movie for films with female leads while Alita, a female led, 200 million dollar movie with an unproven IP kind of got ignored. That isn't to say that CM doesn't deserve that recognition, just that Alita's sure could have used it as well

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
have no interest on Tomb Raider, but im still gonna go see Alita, it was just not priority.

Brand recognition, who could have guessed it helps.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
All of these movies were good to great. I'd like to know how anyone could classify Tomb Raider as shit.

It is a bit weird that a movie like Captain Marvel gets propped up as tentpole movie for films with female leads while Alita, a female led, 200 million dollar movie with an unproven IP kind of got ignored.

Only superhero movies are important now.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
But Tomb Raider is the only one I didn't watch. Saw all three others in the theater.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
of the list I've only watched TR, and didn't think it was a good movie, had some good moments I guess, but even the old movie was better (and it wasn't great by any means...)
I'm also looking forward to watching Alita.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Alita's CGI model is nightmare fuel, everyone told them that after the first trailer dropped, and they doubled down. But sure, blame the audience.

Happy Death Day is a low budget sequel to a low budget horror movie that punched way above it weight because of the concept. Tomb Raider is a videogame film, which always bomb (until Pikachu).

Audiences turned out for Hunger Games, Gravity, Ocean's 8, Lucy (utter crap with nifty trailers), and Bird Box. Maybe there are female stars, and maybe audiences have the same standards for female action as they do for men?

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda curious if a movie like Ms. Marvel, with an Arab American, would do as well. As great as it is that Captain Marvel did well, its star is still a blonde white woman. Nothing wrong with that, but not really indicative of representation doing well, IMO. Same thing with Wonder Woman. It's still a petite white woman.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing marvel and dc movies against one that is near unanimously considered bad and one that is based on a property that's fairly niche and not particularly relevant even within the modern anime manga community is a pretty weird decision

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like that Scarlett Johansson vehicle Lucy kind of flies in the face of this premise. It did really well, not just for a female led action film but for what was clearly a mid-budget European film.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I saw both Captain Marvel and Alita. I loved both but Alita is dense, plot wise. Btw, my father (old man who loves sci fi but only mildly aware of anime cuz I was a fan as a kid) loved Alita, thought the FX deserved an Oscar, asked me who sang the song at the credits and was intrigued by all the Spanish. But if I hadn't dragged him, he would not have watched it.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda curious if a movie like Ms. Marvel, with an Arab American, would do as well. As great as it is that Captain Marvel did well, its star is still a blonde white woman. Nothing wrong with that, but not really indicative of representation doing well, IMO. Same thing with Wonder Woman. It's still a petite white woman.
Are Israelis considered white?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Alita's CGI model is nightmare fuel, everyone told them that after the first trailer dropped, and they doubled down. But sure, blame the audience.

Except they didn't? they in fact toned down the eyes after the initial backlash, not a perfect fix obviously, but absolutely the opposite of "doubling down".

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Except they didn't? they in fact toned down the eyes after the initial backlash, not a perfect fix obviously, but absolutely the opposite of "doubling down".
They made the eyes more like an anime puppy dog compared to the first trailer. Its a fix to make it less off putting but I wouldn't call what they did "toned down". Cameron wanted his aesthetic critics be damned.
alitabattleangel-sidebyside-eyesfixed-700x300.jpg

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really see how that's any different from any other 'marvel movie bad' take but with some faux wokeness stapled on but ok
I feel like they aren't saying Marvel movies are bad or claiming to be woke. It's a piece on the state of the industry and what audiences want. The audiences have shown interest in big budget movies within "shared universes" and the studios have followed through on that to absurd extents.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually for me it was more than that. I mean that was definitely a factor but it just looks like more of the same lethal killing/fighting thing/person/weapon looks like this unassuming thing because movie reasons. That and being based on an anime meant that it was very likely going to have some ridiculous plot.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider and Alita being poorly marketed and also bad movies probably has something to do with it.
Presumably because Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are parts of ongoing movie franchises and received significantly more marketing? As opposed to an adaptation of a manga that had low popular culture penetration in the West and a reboot video game movie.
?

There was a shitload of marketing for Alita. The real problems were indeed lack of familiarity with the property and people being put off by the anime/manga look for the title lead.
Why? It's explained in the movie why she looks like that
Irrelevant when audiences don't care to find out once already too repelled to even go see it, not to mention it being
In a blink and miss it moment that has no basis in the source.
That. The movie had to make up a reason to justify what was ultimately a misguided artistic decision that resulted from being entirely too literal in interpreting the source material.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Only saw Captain Marvel. Don't really care for the other 3. Maybe one day if I'm bored enough.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are Israelis considered white?
So Gal is not considered a minority? Are Israelis not middle eastern?
Without getting into a long debate over race and ethnicity, Israelis descended from a significant portion of European Jews are indeed white in an American lens of race.

The easiest way to explain this is nobody is going to tell Gal Gadot to go to the back of the bus in America circa 1950.