• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a silly argument.

I probably would have seen Captain Marvel even if it wasn't Marvel.

Wonder Woman was my first DC film in the cinema, I went to see it because it looked good, it had nothing to do with DC.

Alita looked cringe with the anime CGI and Tomb Raider is a video game movie, it's not rocket science why they are less successful.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why? It's explained in the movie why she looks like that

I don't think you understand how people work. I don't care about the way it's justified in universe, for me also the anime look, and a large part of anime culture especially online is so toxic it's put me off it just by association. I don't know or care if the movie is good or bad, I'm not going to see all of the movies I want anyway so why force myself to watch one that is off putting to me just because it's justified in film why I am put off by it?

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I saw Captain Marvel because of how fantastic it looked. And it was fantastic.

I saw Wonder Woman because of my girl friend being in love with the character. Came out plesantly surprised, but I was holding back from seeing it because of Batman v Superman. Thankfully it was good, because I was scared to death to go see it(I also havent seen Aquaman because of the DCU trend, and I love Jason)

Didn't see Tomb Raider because I'm a huge fan of the rebooted games(except Shadow), and the movie just didn't look all that good. Plus I was particulary upset that Daisy Ridley didn't get the job. Plus the whole video game movie trend and word of mouth wasn't great.

Alita just isn't my thing. I'm not an anime/manga guy, outside of Devil May Cry(which is a lot of why I was hoping for a DmC2 over DMCV, but I am happy either way) so it just straight up never appealed to me. I'll check it out once it hits home release due to the word of mouth, but I barely have time to go see the movies I WANT to see right now, let alone a movie I don't.

Edit: Also, I was there day 1 to see Ghostbusters and also purchased it in 4K when it hit home release. Reys the best thing to hit Star Wars in a long time. I'm 100% in on female led films, but Tomb Raider and Alita are poor examples. One just wasn't good and one does not have a wide appeal to people.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Forbes Contributor" strikes again.

Please don't click that link, people.

He's also a white male, so I find it very annoying and problematic that he's preaching to me that I should watch every diverse movies just to support diversity.

I mean is he going to pay for my cinema ticket? Is he going to help me in ensuring that the cinema offers subtitles?

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
But even while (correctly) arguing that it's okay that Captain Marvel is merely okay, we turn our noses at the likes of equally "just okay" female-led actioners like Alita (which, love it or hate it, plays a lot like Wonder Woman) or Mortal Engines. We'll obsess over the notion of a female Indiana Jones or a female James Bond and yet ignore Tomb Raider and Atomic Blonde.

Not sure why the article writer is making the assumption that everyone knows these films are "merely ok" before they go see the movies. Most people who go see movies get sold on a film from the trailers and commercials, not "It's merely ok" reviews that they probably don't know exist/choose to ignore. Captain Marvel had people hyped from it's trailers the moment she crashed into a Blockbuster, even without it being a Marvel film. None of these other films listed had that level of excitement, with Alita killing it's own hype with those stupid eyes. Mortal Engines trailers had many people online discussing how badly it was going to flop.

ANOMOLIE

Oct 28, 2017
Tomb Raider was boring but it would've helped if actress had a bigger name. I'm familiar with her work but vast majority did not recognize her. I plan on seeing Alita this weekend. Did enjoy Captain Marvel.. solid 7/10 type movie.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't see any of them, so I guess I'm doing the best.

Though if I were to pick one it would probably be Alita.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I don't think you understand how people work. I don't care about the way it's justified in universe, for me also the anime look, and a large part of anime culture especially online is so toxic it's put me off it just by association. I don't know or care if the movie is good or bad, I'm not going to see all of the movies I want anyway so why force myself to watch one that is off putting to me just because it's justified in film why I am put off by it?
I was just saying, I don't care if you see it or not

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
My wifes 2 favorite comic characters are wonder woman and captain marvel, so we're going to go see those, bonus that the reviews are good

we aren't going to get a babysitter to go watch a fuckin video game or anime movie

same reason we'll watch a star war but we aren't going to go through the effort to see jupiter ascending or valerian

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I saw Alita. It's probably the only movie I'll see this year.
I just don't watch movies

flexicon

Nov 5, 2018
People can smell the stink of video game and anime writing a mile away. Also Wonder Woman had everything going against it as a DC movie so it's not exactly brand recognition either

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how the new TR was a failure (yes it made less domestic compared to the previous entries but look at that total #) it made 63k less than the first TR.

3aed0QN.png

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm not sure I see his point. An Uncharted movie wouldn't have done any better than Tomb Raider in the big picture. Hollywood has hella problems with protagonist diversity but this isn't the theme behind them.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Because we live in a world where everyone sees whatever franchise superhero movie just came out regardless of content, and the success or failure of everything else is up to the whims of fate.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Alita is definitely a bummer since it's a really fun movie.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
I saw both Alita and CM and Alita was sooooo much better than CM it's crazy. I wish it had better success.

The GRIM TRUTH is that people see movies they're interested in seeing
That's really all there is to it. Sure, Marvel is a lot better with regards to marketing their films, but something like Ghost in the Shell having that same level of marketing wouldn't have saved it from flopping. You would think being nearly a year removed from Solo: A Star Wars Story would have clued folks into that, but here we are again...

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
I don't get how the new TR was a failure (yes it made less domestic compared to the previous entries but look at that total #) it made 63k less than the first TR.

3aed0QN.png

You're discounting 20 years of inflation. Jolie Raider did about 400 million in 2019 dollars.

Also, companies get a much bigger slice of domestic gross vs foreign, so the fact the original Tomb Raider had a bigger portion of its' box office in North America is another reason it was viewed as a financial success, while the new one is deemed a flop.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Captain Marvel because it was part of the MCU which I am deeply invested in. It's the movie before Endgame jeeeeez.

I rented Wonder Woman because it was part of the DCEU and they had a bad track record. I was interested, but not that interested.

I want to see Alita, but I've just spent a lot of money on anime recently... so it got the cut. It's still in theaters here where I live so maybe I'll check it out since some of you liked it.

And I never wanted to watch Tomb Raider. The trailers cemented that fact.

Last edited:

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
I've only seen Alita, and it was an enjoyable ride overall. Haven't seen Captain Marvel but I'll catch it eventually.

Zero interest in the other 2 movies.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alita was the best of the 4 movies (captain marvel and Wonder Woman were also great, and tomb raider was bad).

It's a shame that Alita was a flop and almost certainly won't have a sequel.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I didn't watch Capt Marvel because it was "safe", I watched it because I needed to for A:E and because I consistently find the MCU entertaining. I watched Wonder Woman because it was getting really good word of mouth and to date it is still the only DC movie I've seen. In fact, I watched it twice in theaters.

I have seen no such thing that would draw me in for either Alita or TR. The article tries to say Capt Marvel is "okay" and Alita is "okay" but CM has a 79% on RT and Alita has a 60%. Knowing nothing else, and lacking noticeably good buzz about it, I'm not going to watch Alita just based on that.

Also I had no idea this was even so widespread, but yeah Alita's face bugged me out!!

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're discounting 20 years of inflation. Jolie Raider did about 400 million in 2019 dollars.

Also, companies get a much bigger slice of domestic gross vs foreign, so the fact the original Tomb Raider had a bigger portion of its' box office in North America is another reason it was viewed as a financial success, while the new one is deemed a flop.

I completely understand the differences earned in domestic vs overseas but shouldn't have the huge difference make up for the lack of domestic? Do they only really count what a movie makes domestic and not so much foreign since the pay cut is huge?

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Never cared for tomb raider and I despise anime so I have no interest in either one. I still need to rent Wonder Woman lol. Enjoyed captain marvel.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Alita not doing well is a shame. But Tomb Raider was DTV/Netflix tier. It's just not a good movie.

A better example to pair with Alita is Annihilation 2018. Annihilation had four female protagonists and nobody saw it (with no help from the studio).

Alita not doing well is a shame. But Tomb Raider was DTV/Netflix tier. It's just not a good movie.

A better example to pair with Alita is Annihilation 2018. Annihilation had four female protagonists and nobody saw it (with no help from the studio).
Annihilation is a really tough sale for folks that want their movies more action-packed and less talky. I can't imagine a universe where that would have done better with an all-male cast.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
People didn't see Tomb Raider because it was a bad videogame movie. Compare to Assassin's Creed. People didn't see Alita because it was a weird looking anime/manga western adaptation the general public didn't recognize or know what to do with. Compare to Edge of Tomorrow.

Comparing either of these films to huge tentpole releases starring Marvel and DC superheroes is honestly bizarre.

Oct 28, 2017
Alita was far better than Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman. It was also deeply flawed and underdeveloped. None of the movies were amazing. But Alita was the most interesting.

The best and most likeable superheroine I've seen on screen in the past couple of years is Elastigirl by a country mile. But then that happens to fall within the article's point of being part of something established.

Atomic Blonde had some nice action choreography, but was a pretty trashy film.

Hell no Alita wasn't far better than Wonder Woman.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I saw all the movies the article mentioned, in theaters, and the commonality between them all is that they were all just mediocre. Atomic Blonde was maybe a tad bit better but also suffers from a complexity and "better on a second watch" that made it better to watch at home. Mortal Engines is another movie that was aggressively bad and did poorly at the box office, just like similar male lead movies.

The big difference is that going to the theaters is now "an event" for most people and it needs something that draws buzz, whether its a MCU movie, Aquaman, A Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody, the upcoming Us, etc. Movies that are just generic or have bad word of mouth are gonna struggle harder. Aladdin and Dumbo are going to be interesting test cases.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no Alita wasn't far better than Wonder Woman.

Sure it was. And please don't read that as me thinking Alita was amazing. Alita had a lot of story problems and underdeveloped characters, but at least the action was on point and it was visually exhilirating.

Wonder Woman becomes this bland, ugly, boring mess of a film as soon as she leaves the island. I actually enjoyed all the stuff on the island, because it felt fresh and was visually interesting.

Oct 28, 2017
Sure it was. And please don't read that as me thinking Alita was amazing. Alita had a lot of story problems and underdeveloped characters, but at least the action was on point and it was visually exhilirating.

Wonder Woman becomes this bland, ugly, boring mess of a film as soon as she leaves the island. I actually enjoyed all the stuff on the island, because it felt fresh and was visually interesting.
Meh, both movies are basically love stories and the one in Wonder Woman works a million times better. There is no comparison on that front.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
For any anime adaptation of an anime I've never seen, my reaction is usually "I should probably watch the anime instead" and then I don't end up even doing that.

Still waiting for the original Ghost in the Shell to hit Netflix.

I wanted to watch TR until I heard it wasn't good.