• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't spend money on movies that don't look good, or only look middling, unless I'm really bored. Most action movies also aren't that good, and Marvel is milking the shit out of these properties to varying degrees of quality.

I'll watch Captain Marvel one day, but I doubt I'll go see it in theatres. I don't feel like paying for or using one of my free passes on it. Alita looked dumb, so I didn't go see it, and wouldn't anyways. It looked like a big, action packed, dumb CGI fest.

Tomb Raider was obviously going to be bad. The trailers were atrocious. So I skipped it. I did watch it on Crave, and holy shit was it bad. So mindnumbingly boring. I had been looking forward to it, but wasn't holding my breath. Then I saw the trailers.

I did go see Wonder Woman for a birthday party, and it was good.

I don't care who stars in the movie, or if it's a woman or a man, nearly as much as I care if the movie is good. I'm not going to spend money to see movies just to support female leads. I've watched tons of movies with female leads, but a movie has to stand out for me to pay to see it.

I'll be going to see Us next

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Alita was dope. Best action sequences this decade, IMO, in western cinema.
Uh huh. Suuuurrrre.

tumblr_nooye94QUA1tjkd0ao1_500.gif

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These four movies don't have that much in common. Yes they have a female protagonist but so? They're four different genres for one, yes even Wonder Woman (WW2-era comic adaptation) and Captain Marvel (space/cosmic comic adaptation) .

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i watch many anime style shows and even i found Alita to be uncanny-valley territory. those big eyes look so off putting.
no idea why Cameron was so centered in having the eyes like that. you can do anime style with normal eyes pretty fine (i know only Alita has the big eyes but still. the trade off was too big)

i still plan to buy the Blu-ray eventually

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty poor hot take. Tomb Raider was not critically well-received, neither was Alita a critical favourite and both bore the hallmarks of many other action movies in the past few years that have not taken off, regardless of the lead's gender.

And in spite of that, quite a lot of people did show up to both these critically-meh'd movies. Tomb Raider made as much worldwide as the first Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movie. It's just that they're expensive movies that didn't make as much money as expensive superhero movies.

Oct 26, 2017
i watch many anime style shows and even i found Alita to be uncanny-valley territory. those big eyes look so off putting.
no idea why Cameron was so centered in having the eyes like that. you can do anime style with normal eyes pretty fine (i know only Alita has the big eyes but still. the trade off was too big)

Because technology allowed him to have the character look exactly like she does in the source material and it's explainable in-universe. As an added bonus, you don't get that disconnected feeling of 'that's an actress's head superimposed on a body that's doing something ridiculous' during action scenes if the entire character is CGI all the way through. Not saying it's right or wrong (that discussion's so boring at this point) but that's the reasons.

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Saw all 4.

Alita > WoWo > Marvel > Raider
I agree with this ranking. I just saw Marvel and was underwhelmed. I really enjoyed Alita best. Marvel seemed so one note the entire time and the humor fell so flat. Nobody laughed in my full theater tonight. Kinda disappointed but at least the 3rd act was pretty good and showed off her powers. The kid and the cat were pretty good lol.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed both of the Jolie films but didn't see the new Tomb Raider because it looked like the 2013 reboot game and I had no interest in seeing a cinematic version of that. Alita's trailers never sold me on it because I found the main character's animated head distracting. Wonder Woman I've had on blu-ray for several months, and unfortunately I haven't gotten around to watching it. Captain Marvel I plan to see because I always found the concept of Carol both fascinating and complicated. Plus, Avengers is soon. I was going to bring up Annihilation going against everything this article is saying and then I read it's actually considered a box office bomb??? I'm really surprised. It's a good film.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Well I have been watching and admiring female hero's (and Villains) for years in the Horror/Sci-Fi genre.

Heros

From Barbara to Carrie, from to Ripley to Sarah Connor (T2 & TV Series) and everything inbetween, Sidney Prescott, Laurie Strode, Buffy etc.

it's not my fault you aren't into Horror but your missing out and anyone who has ever said woman don't belong in Horror need their head seen too, Women Rule horror, you could argue that the men overshadow them but I don't believe that.

I don't view them as weak like some do neither but strong, the problem is the Scream Queens, we do need less of the Final girl was a Virgin trope though.

Villains and Monsters

Alien Queen, Bride of Frankenstein (she was not really a Villain) hell even the 1st Friday the 13th Killer was Mrs Vorhees and NOT Jason, Julia & the Female Cenobite ( it was really Julia who was the Monster) Sadako Yamamura, Regan (again was she really a Villain or a Victim?) and so on.

Sci-Fi
I saw Ghost in the Shell in the Cinema & I liked it despite the controversy, Princess Leia was a badass, Mamma was a great For Dredd and Even Dr Who's Assistants Ace and Bill Potts being two of my favourite.

But we Can do better in both Genres outside of Comic Books and we will get there with the likes of the Soska Sisters etc

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry

Yeah. The animation was quite offputting. I'm not into anime whatsoever, so that added to it. Maybe I'll watch it on TV one day, but I'm in no rush.

Because movies with male leads never flop?

Nope. Never.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
I saw all 4 and happy death day 2u and mortal engines and enjoyed them all mainly. Mortal engines was slightly underwhelming but fun enough. But a film with a female lead is just as good or bad as any male lead film.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody saw Alita because the title is Alita: battle angel.

That might sound like a small thing but to me it screamed "don't pay to see this at the movies, watch it on tv one day". If you are really confident in the whole thing, just call it Alita and make it seem like it isn't a cheap tv episode.

Not showing the entire damn movie in the trailer would be a great tip too.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen and enjoyed all of them besides Alita - haven't gotten around to watching that one yet. :/

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
While I loved Alita, I also thought it was terrible at the same time and would never actually recommend to anybody but a few select people who are into shlocky movies like me. And Tomb Raider simply looked boring and bland.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I still think that a John Wick movie with a woman as the lead (a lost sister of Mr. Wick) would make bank. It'd be like Atomic Blonde but cranked up to an absurd level of John Wick action / choreography.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, movies have to at least be interesting to me, and Tomb Raider and Atila didn't move the needle, neither did Wonder Woman. Marvel comics clicked with me at an early age in a way DC never did, so I am interested in seeing what they can do with beloved characters and stories of my youth.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Jolie's TR is still the goat, new one looked boring as fuck, just like the newer games

Anyway, watched 'em all, Wonder Woman felt the most competent and entertaining by far

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Tomb Raider was ok, Vikander was great and I wish she had another opportunity with a better script.

Alita's eyes just creep me out too much. Also not very interested in anime.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It's worth noting that Captain Marvel and Tomb Raider share an insane amount of similiarities because the same screenwriter wrote both. And with it, both share an amazing, oscar-winning actress who can do absolutely nothing with the stale, soap opera style drama and cheesy, non-hitting comedy lines. It all seems slightly wrong. If you watch both after each other, the problems they share with their screenplay are incredibly obvious.

CM certainly isn't a better movie than either of them. But yeah, it's a franchise. Article is on point in that regard.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That is grasping at straws.
CM and WW were good movies with a talented crew and heart behind them.
TR never looked good or appealing, where as Alita probably creeped out everyone with their awful design choice of her cringeworthy eyes.
Alita could've also been a moderate success if they hadn't blown an insane budget on it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I havent seen any

Tomb Raider looked bad and the new games have worst in class stories. Alita never appealed to me and the unique but poorly executed character design actually drew my attention, still never bothered. I don't see the rush to go see so so movies. Wonder Woman I caught on digital and Pike and Gadot had a lot of charisma but the formulaic 3rd act and paper thin supporting caricatures led to a decent but forgettable movie.

Havent seen captain marvel yet and havent been interested from the trailers but I like Larson a lot and wanna be caught up before Endgame so I'll probably see it in its last 2 weeks. Meh

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen any of those and don't plan to. Maaaaaybe I'll watch Alita one day since that's the most interesting looking one but it'll probably be years before I do.

As for Captain Marvel, I'll see her in Endgame.

Lucky241

Oct 31, 2017
the shores of Carcosa
Saw and loved them all. It sucks to see Alita won't get the sequel. Really would have liked to see where that story goes. (No, I'm not reading the manga)

Don't know why it came out so close to Captain Marvel. Absolutely stupid of them. They're both about young women discovering their identity, purpose and power. Spread it out over the year. No fucking need to come out so close together.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, one was the first good superheroine movie with good of mouth
One was a the next movie starring a superheroine in a popular movie franchise

Meanwhile, the others were either a video game movie or an anime movie that was co opted by Nazis.

I mean... it's not that hard to see why.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Tomb Raider never interested me, not the games, not the movies, so a movie reboot of a rebooted game wasn't gonna do it for me lol. Wanna see Alita though when it drops on home release.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Nobody saw Alita because the title is Alita: battle angel.

That might sound like a small thing but to me it screamed "don't pay to see this at the movies, watch it on tv one day". If you are really confident in the whole thing, just call it Alita and make it seem like it isn't a cheap tv episode.

Not showing the entire damn movie in the trailer would be a great tip too.
The title of the series is Battle Angel Alita... And then James Cameron changed it so that his movies would still be A or T names.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alita was actually better than Captain Marvel.

It's really not. I love Alita a lot, it was badass, with great characters, awesome fight scenes and lots of spectacle but it didn't make me feel anything. Captain Marvel was actually inspiring and Carol herself is much more relatable. Young women already look up to her the way I imagine young men look up to Rogers and I came out of the movie air punching like the guy from Breakfast Club.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Alita is going to be a cult classic 20 years down the road. Don't expect movies like that to be huge successes right away. Alita is on the same path as Blade Runner.

I mean, its the best movie of the ones listed, and I agree it has the potential to become a cult movie, despite som very real flaws.

But on the same path as Blade Runner? That's crazy talk right there. Sorry friend, you just might be crazy.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
God gods I am sick of all the commentary and controversy around Captain Marvel.
It wasn't even that good. It was pretty mid/low tier even amoung the Marvel movies.

But why can't movies stand on their own anymore? It always has to bring in feminism, sexism, everyone pick a side. I hate it.

It just a superhero movie. A distinctly average superhero movie.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
I saw all 4 of these films at the theatre and dare I say, Tomb Raider was more engaging than Captain Marvel.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, it shows you need to market a middling female-led action movie as some kind of cultural feminist touchstone if you want mega-success.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
You know what? I actually really hate this take. It suggests that it's on us as an audience to make sure that these diverse movies keep getting made. That we as an audience have to show up for every showing wasting hard earned money, just so that these Disney execs can keep filling their pockets. Nah, fuck that.

We are demanding more representation not because it's supposed to make them more money, but because it's the right thing to do. And if that's not happening we will keep criticising and calling them out for it.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seen all four, wouldn't say any are bad.

Personally: Captain Marvel > Tomb Raider > Alita > Wonder Woman.

Not that Wonder Woman isn't good but that beyond awful final act and the lack of interesting supporting characters killed it for me.