• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
TR was horrendous. Alita's lack of success is a real shame, it's a fantastic movie.

I thought so as well. I loved it! I'm really hoping a second one gets made, but in the mean time I'm thinking about picking up the Alita Battle Angel manga. I don't know how faithful at all the adaptation is from that angle, but overall the movie character for Alita was amazing, her growth into learning about herself and past, etc. I also saw this too which is pretty cool thing they did for that girl, it would be awesome if one day prosthetic implants are really as advanced as we imagine them to be in stuff like Alita or GiTS.

Last edited:

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I really wanted to see Alita, but it snuck under the radar for me and only had time/ money to go see one movie last week. Plus my friends already got tickets for me for CM in advance.

Never cared for TR (even though I saw the ones with Angelina Jolie), because it looked like dogshit

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Pretty sure I saw 3 of the 4 and enjoyed them. The only one I didn't see was Tomb Raider because I didn't even know about it.

Hope Alita can get a sequel.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Wait, so the article wants to the people who didn't went to see Alita or Tomb Raider to feel bad? That people don't go to the theaters to see every single female-leading movie or somewhat? What? Like forcing people to go watch even mediocre or bad movies because if not, they need to feel ashamed if those movies bomb ?

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
TWIST!

I saw Captain Marvel and Alita and not Wonder Woman and Tomb Raider

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i didnt see Alita Battle angel cause the previews made it look like a shit movie and alita looked weird as fuck.

i didnt see Tomb Raider cause the preview was meh.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I saw both WW and CM cause I wanted too. Both were good movies that had female leads of strong, capable women. I don't mean physically strong either. I mean women that have their own agency, like Ripely or Sarah Connor. Female action leads that have that quality are too few and far between.

Allita just came out at the wrong time- every weekend we wanted to see it, we were busy. It now out of most theaters around here or relegated to the small one. We'll either catch it streams or when one of our friends gets it. I have decent memories of liking the manga back in the day.

TR, I've never seen the movies. The tits and ass fan service of the first game have always stuck with me. She may be smart, but she was made for men's eyes- gameplay required she had a brain for puzzle solving. I don't hate Tomb Raider, I know I was never part of the intended audience.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I can't be the only one that saw all four of them. And I keep all my movie stubs too. My first was the first Harry Potter.
jgc6kPK.jpg

Forbes Link

from Scott Mendelson

Excerpts from the article:
This article falls in line with something I was thinking about recently, as I've kept all of my movie ticket stubs going back over 20 years. As soon as I was old enough to drive I saw lots of movies in theaters throughout the 90s and early 00s, but these days when you look at my stubs you'll see franchise after franchise with the occasional outlier like Alita. I'm less likely to take a chance on a movie that's unfamiliar now, and the studios know it.

Heh. I keep all my stubs, too. Going back over 25 years at this point.

I actually choose to go to some theaters over others since some have stopped providing a ticket and only print out a receipt instead. LAME!

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Why would an in-universe explanation be of any help in making you look the look of a character more? What a weird point to make.

You have to see it in order to understand.

Hated the look in the trailer...

Fell in love about 5 minutes into the movie...

Got some cool context about halfway thru.

And seeing the rest of the characters in the world doesnt make Alita stand out of place as much as the main character focused trailer does.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
LOL

I imagine Monster getting the Alita trailer treatment with people walking away from it describing the movie as "that one about the up and coming doctor" and not about what it really is about.

Didnt want to go too in on the descrip because I didn't want to derail. Though, to stay on point, I have no desire to watch Alita because I didn't like the comics.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see Wonder Woman until it was out on Blu Ray and I'm planning on seeing Captain Marvel next week. I did see Happy Death Day 2U because I liked the first.

Comparing Alita and Tomb Raider to Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman seems weird. That's like saying "You saw Fast & Furious and Return of the King but you skipped out on It Follows and Need for Speed" (granted Alita is probably better than all of those)

Last edited:

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
How many people even noticed it in that one scene though?
There were 2 visual scenes and 2 exposition scenes explaining that she was "different"

2 Flashbacks and 1 scene where they find out her age and one scene where they tell her the type of soldier she is

but to answer your question not a lot.

I only noticed it because the chick talking didn't look like Michelle Rodriquez lol

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You have to see it in order to understand.

Hated the look in the trailer...

Fell in love about 5 minutes into the movie...

Got some cool context about halfway thru.

And seeing the rest of the characters in the world doesnt make Alita stand out of place as much as the main character focused trailer does.

OK, I'll take your word for it. I want to see it eventually.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't go see Alita because I thought it looked uninteresting?

Huh. I guess I learned something about myself today.

Thanks article for enlightening me!

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
What? No. The movie is still about her naively fawning over some total doofus when she's not striking "badass anime poses." Like the action and aesthetic are great, and the main actress does well with what she's got, but it's real fucking messily put together.

It's like baby's first puberty/classism metaphor.
And what was the major theme of captain marvel besides setting up the avengers sequel?
It was the worst first character movie since the Hulk.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Alita is a good action movie, better than CM.

Tomb Raider's problem is same as the Ass Creed movie. People don't want video game movies not even gamers.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep. Del Toro was at one time going to adapt it with HBO. Sad it never happened.

Yeah, I remember reading it after going on a Japanese horror binge once I read a bunch of Junji Ito stuff. Was looking for pretty much anything similar and that one was highly recommended. That was probably 6 or 7 years ago.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The true movie goer that sees female lead blockbusters sees none of those movies, but preordered tickets for Mortal Engines!

Reticon6

Banned
Oct 19, 2018
10,000m under surface level
Alita was such a disappointment. I was hoping for them to go with a darker tone just like in the manga. The messaging of what it means to be a human in an machine is almost nowhere to be found and it's become another Mary Sue to greatness story line.

At least Captain Marvel is entertaining. One of the few cases where the trailer matches the end product.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I think I'm the only person I know who enjoyed Atomic Blonde. Might have one the best fight scenes I've ever seen on film.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm disappointed that Alita was a "relative failure." That movie delivered. One of the best action movies in recent memory.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
What if I saw Captain Marvel and Alita but not Wonder Woman and Tomb Raider?
Then you should see Wonder Woman ASAP, because it's great.

Because TR and Alita looked bad and were bad.
Alita wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. The story, lead performance, art design, and above all, action, were so much better than the trailers made them out to be.

What's with Era and people calling really well made movies "bad"? Lumping Alita with Tomb Raider... Hold on while my eyes complete several full revolutions in my skull.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I saw all of them. Wonder Woman was a great movie. Alita was a good movie, and captain marvel was a good movie. Tomb raider was fucking horrible.

And I hate to be that guy but going to the movies is expensive. Back when I was younger I only worried about paying for me. Now I have a family and I'm buying 3 tickets. It's 40-50 bucks to go the movies now and I don't have nearly as much time as I used to so I typically wait for most films on Blu-ray or streaming. I can redbox a Blu-ray for 2 bucks. It makes a difference. Because of pricing we typically only go to stuff like Star Wars, marvel stuff, etc. I'm not gonna blow 40-50 bucks on a movie that looks iffy.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I know about Alita is pieces of shit online seem to love it, and somehow have weaponized it against women's rights with Captain Marvel as their surrogate target. Those assholes are enough to keep me away.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I dunno. I'm not sure if the majority of women want to necessarily see a film solely because it has a female lead. I would assume the trailers would have played a big deal in their decision, as not everyone is willing to take a chance on a random film that has horrible trailer(i.e. Miss Bala and Tomb Raider trailers, which looked like trash). At the end of the day people are going to vote with their wallets and they are going to vote on films they feel are safe.

Side note: I realize I've seen 4 of the 5 movies mentioned.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is the type of "feminism" only a white dude with no concept of what feminism is would write.

Feminist fight for representation in films isn't: everyone must see every female led film or you're not being feminist.

Feminist fight for representation is that we need more women in leads, and that they are allowed to succeed and fail as any one with a man lead would,. The real success isn't every woman lead film ever is a success and you aren't doing your part for the cause if you don;t see all of them. The success is in fact the opposite, the entire decoupling of success from the future existence of other movies with women leads. True success is when films with women leads are allowed to fail, and in some cases fail spectacularly without the future of women lead films being put at risk.

This article encourages the coupling to remain, outright reinforces it, fuck that.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
And that's one of the dumbest reasons I've heard for someone not going to a movie, it's not a valid form of criticism. It's focus group comments. Smh

This comment is ridiculous. How is it a dumb reason? If a visual aspect of a film is off putting, enough to make you not want to see it, that is a perfectly valid reason not to go watch.

I imagine, as highlighted enough already, it's probably down to the former films having decent to good reviews, and the latter having average to poor reviews. I think it's disingenuous to completely ignore that.