• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The Japan Times said:
Foreign Minister Taro Kono said Tuesday he plans to ask overseas media outlets to write Japanese names with the family name first, as is customary in the country.

For example, Kono said that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's name should be written as "Abe Shinzo," in line with other Asian leaders such as Chinese President Xi Jinping and South Korean President Moon Jae-in.

Japanese names are usually written with the given name coming first when using a foreign language, a practice that began in the 19th to early 20th centuries amid the growing influence of Western culture.

"I plan to ask international media organizations to do this. Domestic media outlets that have English services should consider it, too," he said, citing a 2000 report by the education ministry's National Language Council that said it was desirable to write Japanese names with the family name first in all instances.

Source: The Japan Times

Pretty interesting. It seems like it would be quite difficult to have so many companies internationally adopt this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's for media outlets, not companies that employ Japanese or people of Japanese descent. Should be easy.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's respectful but there's a good reason for our ordering system in English language press. We need to know his first name and last name. I have never met a Japanese or Chinese person who cared because they know the why of it and it's fixed in social situations anyway. What's weirder and more easily solved is calling countries stuff they don't say themselves like Japan and Germany.

Miyamoto Shigeru?

hmmmm weird

The respectful address is "Shiggsy-Sama." Almost but not quite like that Weeaboo e3 journalist who invented the human cringe response in 2001.

Before that all we were able to achieve was mild embarrassment.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
In Japanese this will create more confusion. Typically you can tell the difference between the two names in Chinese or Korean so that it's harder to confuse them (the family name's the shorter of the two). In Japanese you wouldn't know unless you know other Japanese names, and even then I still get confused by historical figures like Minamoto Tametomo (in this case, family name first).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Japanese this will create more confusion. Typically you can tell the difference between the two names in Chinese or Korean so that it's harder to confuse them (the family name's the shorter of the two). In Japanese you wouldn't know unless you know other Japanese names, and even then I still get confused by historical figures like Minamoto Tametomo (in this case, family name first).

I think it's funny that Japanese first name phonetics are more easily understood by gender than a lot of other languages. I couldn't tell you what the rules aren't but I always understand it reflexively.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is good and way overdue.

No it wouldn't? Since when has anyone had Minamoto as a given name? It may be confusing during a transition period for romanised names but once everybody writes it surname-first it should be fine.

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yes, this is good and way overdue.

No it wouldn't? Since when has anyone had Minamoto as a given name?

If you absorb a lot of Japanese news or media you can intuit some of them, like how the "moto" term is rarely used in first names, so that may be a bad example, but it would only be a bad example if you know enough Japanese to say that this sounds like a last name.

Whereas I don't know a thing about Chinese or Korean and could probably make a game go at guessing given from family name.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's respectful but there's a good reason for our ordering system in English language press. We need to know his first name and last name. I have never met a Japanese or Chinese person who cared because they know the why of it and it's fixed in social situations anyway. What's weirder and more easily solved is calling countries stuff they don't say themselves like Japan and Germany.

The respectful address is "Shiggsy-Sama." Almost but not quite like that Weeaboo e3 journalist who invented the human cringe response in 2001.

oof

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I always thought it should be this way. In Japan, they don't switch western names around. John Smith doesn't become Smith John - they're taught about first and last names and know it's done differently over there. No reason we can't do the same.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only strange thing is that this wasn't already the case. I could never imagine saying Jingping Xi.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be gradually doable and it'd be nice to have some consistency between the East asian countries.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think that's unreasonable. Given Name/Family Name order is a convention of English. When you write in Japanese you can put it the other way around.

This is like the "too literal fan translation" of Japanese diplomacy. Languages are meant to convey meaning and this will break it for most English speakers.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be gradually doable and it'd be nice to have some consistency between the East asian countries.

It would take a century to have school kids learn the ordering for each country vs ten minutes once a decade of "hey if you're writing something formal to this person then remember to..."

Holden

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's unreasonable. First Name/Family Name order is a convention of English. When you write in Japanese you can put it the other way around.

This is like the "too literal fan translation" of Japanese diplomacy. Languages are meant to convey meaning and this will break it for most English speakers.

we literally already do it for Chinese and Korean names...

Chinese President Xi Jinping

Xi is his family name.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Western media have been doing this with Korean names for years, putting the family name before the given name.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
i don't know. is this supposed to be common knowledge?
Nope lol, the only reason I'm very familiar with some Japanese names and last names is that Peru has a large Japanese descendants' community, and I ended up studying in a Peruvian-Japanese elementary and high school for 7 years, so I studied with plenty of people who had Japanese names.
With that said, I believe it's only fair to allow this courtersy to Japan if it's already granted to Korea and China.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I always thought it should be this way. I work in media so I'll ask around and see what my co-workers think about implementing this. Pretty sure none of them would have a problem.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I always thought it should be this way. In Japan, they don't switch western names around. John Smith doesn't become Smith John - they're taught about first and last names and know it's done differently over there. No reason we can't do the same.
What do you mean?

They definitely do switch the name order around to the Japanese way, unless you're a celebrity like Michael Jackson.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Kono is an odd fish. He's a rare pro immigration guy - but supports Abe in other nationalist stuff — but his dad is famous for defending "comfort women " and he's never rejected that speech.

Not sure what his intent here is beyond it being reasonable but hard to implement because it's become a convention in a way that Korean didn't.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't see the problem. Already do it for other countries, plus it's their request so what's really the point in disrespecting that?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
we literally already do it for Chinese and Korean names...

Chinese President Xi Jinping

Xi is his family name.
Imo, I don't think we should.

How do we figure out whether a Korean American wants it forwards or backwards? Do they want it the Korean style or do they want it the American style since they are American? Is it based on where their culture is originally from or where they live now? If it's based on where you live now, when Dave Smith moves to Japan does he become Smith Dave in our media?

We shouldn't have to figure out. The ordering rules are a matter of language syntax (in our case, English) and not place of cultural origin or place of residence.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, do they flip all American names in their press and movie posters? Pitt Brad?

Brad Pitt is so famous that they'd say "Brad Pitt" but if they wrote something formal in Japanese about him they might flip it. I think it's inconsistent for celebrities vs regular folks. They definitely sometimes reverse my name in written docs- correctly per Japanese.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Why do some Japanese companies put names in western order? I have always wondered this. Like 'Namie Amuro' is on her albums when Amuro is the family name.

And we say Hideo Kojima instead of "Kojima Hideo" because that's how Konami wrote it on the game box.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the order as important as just keeping it standard. Like, whenever I'm introduced to a Japanese person's name in English writing, I find myself wondering which order they're going to use.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't see the problem. Already do it for other countries, plus it's their request so what's really the point in disrespecting that?

It's not disrespectful at all. It's a simple convention. If Japan insists on it and we ignore it then eventually that becomes disrespectful but it isn't in etiquette or diplomacy.

The easy hybrid using a comma would help:

Abe, Shinzō.

The same device is used in English too.

Johnson, Samuel.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Why do Japanese companies put names in western order? I have always wondered this. Like 'Namie Amuro' is on her albums when Amuro is the family name.

And we say Hideo Kojima instead of "Kojima Hideo" because that's how Konami wrote it on the game box.
They might be trying to consider the audience.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would take a century to have school kids learn the ordering for each country vs ten minutes once a decade of "hey if you're writing something formal to this person then remember to..."
I think learning a little bit about other countries naming conventions would be nice in a world that's slowly becoming more inter-connected. We're talking just three countries at the moment where many people are already familiar with it - school is just one site of learning after all.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brad Pitt is so famous that they'd say "Brad Pitt" but if they wrote something formal in Japanese about him they might flip it. I think it's inconsistent for celebrities vs regular folks. They definitely reverse my name in written docs- correctly per Japanese.

I'm wondering because wouldn't you just hope to write it the way best understood by your audience? I'd assume if they write most American names flipped for ease of understanding, we would continue to flip their names for ease of understanding. I legitimately don't know if Taro Kono(Yoko Taro?) is flipped or not, and I could see someone mistaking Pitt for a first name if they were equally unfamilar with American names(in a less famous example).

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
God this name flipping BS still infuriating me. Lost 2 years waiting for USCIS edit the paperwork. This shit is especially bad for people with more than 3 words in their name (mine is 4). Just do what they ask, please.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do some Japanese companies put names in western order? I have always wondered this. Like 'Namie Amuro' is on her albums when Amuro is the family name.

For whatever reason, in Japan at least, it's been custom for the longest time to write one's name in [first name] [last name] order when using the Latin alphabet. It would take a momentous effort to change things now, even domestically.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Goddamn that video is a hard watch.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This has always confused me so much. So, for example, in Japan, he'd write his name as Miyamoto Shigeru, but go by Shigeru (first name) in conversation? And with this new proposition, Giant Bomb would in turn refer to him as Miyamoto Shigeru?

Not trying to sound flippant, I'm genuinely asking. It's always confused me, but I can be kind of dense at times.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Always felt weird that we do this with Chinese and Koreans, but not Japanese.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has always confused me so much. So, for example, in Japan, he'd write his name as Miyamoto Shigeru, but go by Shigeru (first name) in conversation? And with this new proposition, Giant Bomb would in turn refer to him as Miyamoto Shigeru?

Not trying to sound flippant, I'm genuinely asking. It's always confused me, but I can be kind of dense at times.

First names alone aren't really used all that often outside of close friends and family in Japan. There are exceptions, though, for example in workplaces where multiple people on a team have the same last name, sometimes one or more of them will go by their first name within the company, etc.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
How do they refer to Western names in Japanese media? Also if already done for Korean and Chinese names, I don't see the issue doing it for Japanese names