• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I love this trope and the hilarious scenarios it leads to, where awful murderers can just chill out with the good guys like nothing happened. The sunny naivety of it all is appealing somehow. Maybe just for the contrast to more grounded stories.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Western media is fairly guilty of this too, Darth Vader being the most famous example. One good act doesn't undo all the genocide he did because he had a spooky dream

Kakyoin was mind controlled and Bruno only killed/hurt other gangsters. Funny af, but hardly unforgivable. What people have been talking about here would be the equivalent of forgiving Dio and Kira. In fact, Jojo is probably the most vindictive outlier of shonen that comes to mind
Dio and Kira get fuuuuucked up super hard lol

It's funny because Jonathan keeps trying to forgive DIO but he keeps being more and more of a dick until
his great great grandson punches him so hard that he explodes

Part 4 is the best for this trope. With the exception of Kira, like every enemy stand user becomes their friend after getting the shit kicked out of them

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's often purely used as a way to showcase the moral "power" of the main character, completely ignoring how actual rehabilitation or redemption would work, in turn giving a strong immoral or amoral tint to the whole.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's often purely used as a way to showcase the moral "power" of the main character, completely ignoring how actual rehabilitation or redemption would work, in turn giving a strong immoral or amoral tint to the whole.

You You Hakusho did this well with Elder Toguro. He was a cold hearted villain, slowly revealed to be more grey and sympathetic who paid for his crimes and didn't get the easy way out of redemption.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I hate MOST about the fogiveness trope is that you have a show of how many random guards/soldiers/security guards/grunts etc. the main characters are willing to dispose of, but when it comes to the leader? Forgive them or you'll be as bad as them!

Dec 4, 2017
What's worse than the forgiveness is straight up not punishing them.

If you want to rage hard at an anime, look no further than Freezing.
All I have are three words: Louis El Bridget
Then again, Freezing was pretty meh even for a titty anime. As titty animes go, I'd definitely rank it below stuff like Seikon no Qwaser, Sekirei or even Manyuu Hikenchou.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
許す is to allow, permit, say it's okay, etc.

This is not okay, this will not do, I will not stand for this, this cannot be, etc, all could be proper interpretations for 許されない.
Heh. I'm trying to imagine an angry scream version of "This is not ok!" and the results are amusing.

I believe it is a concept of Asian tales that no one is truly good or evil just different and that unless the act is completely harmful, you can be forgiven. That said I think there certain media that may misunderstand where the line is to forgive (The Freezing example).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it is a concept of Asian tales that no one is truly good or evil just different and that unless the act is completely harmful, you can be forgiven. That said I think there certain media that may misunderstand where the line is to forgive (The Freezing example).

I mean, yes it's a long-standing storytelling trope. Look at Journey to the West.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Western media is fairly guilty of this too, Darth Vader being the most famous example. One good act doesn't undo all the genocide he did because he had a spooky dream.

Wasn't it just Luke/ the force that forgave him? Leia and the universe as a whole didn't forgive Vader.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The thing I hate MOST about the fogiveness trope is that you have a show of how many random guards/soldiers/security guards/grunts etc. the main characters are willing to dispose of, but when it comes to the leader? Forgive them or you'll be as bad as them!

This is the real question. Like, who's worse, the guy following orders or giving them? Especially when you're forgiving the latter?

Oct 28, 2017
It's similar in Japanese games, where you fight some villain (often repeatedly throughout the game), and after you win, they just walk away with the heroes just standing and looking after them. When you lose, it's game over because it was a fight to the death.

Drives me nuts

Re: Star Wars: Vader dies for his sins btw. there is a difference...

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Examples like Darth Vader are less "forgiveness" and more "redemption"

And generally redemption on the scale of something like Vader did requires the character's death while attempting to make correcting the mistakes their former villainy.

If Vader had survived betraying the Emperor and everyone forgave him and he just joined up with the crew, nobody would have considered his redemption "earned"

The mom who plotted with the enemies and was responsible for the death of all of her coworkers as well as probably hundreds of thousands at least in cities around the world, if she had a change of heart and was just able to escape on a helicopter with her family it would have been an act of forgiveness that would feel unearned, but since she sacrificed herself to stop what she started, it was an earned act of redemption.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why the ending of GunXSword was so great for me because it completely turned this trope on its head

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
uh... didn't knew it was something you don't say in english... i've seen it a lot in french and not from japanese media
It's definitely something you can say, but it really only makes sense if you're talking to someone who... cares about you I guess? Like in a sense you're withdrawing any chance at reconciling but that wouldn't matter if you were never friends in the first place.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
It was refreshing when I started watching like Miyazaki stuff when I was a kid compared to always kill the baddies in US stuff. It felt to me like reflection of post WWII Japan itself. But now it just feel like a giant trope. I don't by this higher honor and spiritual ascendance bs.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Re:Godzilla Spoilers
The mom who plotted with the enemies and was responsible for the death of all of her coworkers as well as probably hundreds of thousands at least in cities around the world, if she had a change of heart and was just able to escape on a helicopter with her family it would have been an act of forgiveness that would feel unearned, but since she sacrificed herself to stop what she started, it was an earned act of redemption.
I understand the usage of the redemption instead of forgiveness as the intended trope but much like the complaints in this thread, what she does to redeem herself is not even close to sufficient to feel earned.