• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Imagine a place where everything that is lost and forgotten goes; old toys, letters, single socks. The Forgotten Lands is a magical world inhabited by Forgotlings; creatures composed of mislaid objects longing to be remembered again.

Forgotton Anne is a seamless cinematic adventure with a focus on meaningful storytelling and light puzzle platforming. You are Anne, the enforcer who keeps order in the Forgotten Lands, as she sets out to squash a rebellion that might prevent her master, Bonku, and herself from returning to the human world…

Pricing:
$19.99 / €19.99 / £16.00 on PlayStation 4, $19.99 / €19.99 / £15.99 on Xbox One, and $19.99 / €19.99 / £15.49 on PC.

Source

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I have no idea if the game will be fun to play, but it's so incredibly beautiful that I must buy it.

The video was still unlisted when I shared it, and only had like 50 views. Wow.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Cutscenes are pretty, but the animation outside of the cutscenes seems very stiff and lacking frames.

Still, I'm glad to see more 2D games that look like this.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
So, what kind of game is it? A platformer? A cinematic platformer a la Flashback/Another World/Abe's Oddysee (you know, weighty precise controls vs the instant Mari-like response)? A point & click style game? Something else?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, looks beautiful.

So, what kind of game is it? A platformer? A cinematic platformer a la Flashback/Another World/Abe's Oddysee (you know, weighty precise controls vs the instant Mari-like response)? A point & click style game? Something else?
I mean, it's right in the OP: "Forgotton Anne is a seamless cinematic adventure with a focus on meaningful storytelling and light puzzle platforming."

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
After looking forward to this game ever since it was announced, i seemed to have missed the release date announcement until i checked the game's twitter page. Glad to see it's coming out soon now. Should be a day one purchase (depending on reviews). I'm curious if the gameplay will be compelling enough as it seems very light, if that makes sense.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Whew, looks beautiful.

I mean, it's right in the OP: "Forgotton Anne is a seamless cinematic adventure with a focus on meaningful storytelling and light puzzle platforming."
Which doesn't explain any of my questions about the gameplay other than not being point & click. Care to enlighten us?

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
"Cinematic" and "light puzzle platforming". But why not just check out the review thread from a few days ago:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/forgotton-anne-reviews-thread.41815/
Which review in particular explains that well then, none of the quotes in that thread do (also it's cinematic adventure in what you quote there, not cinematic platformer like you joined it together from different instances, so it doesn't necessarily imply weighty controls a la Abe's Oddysee, just that it has an emphasis on story telling, but even if it said cinematic platformer or similar that doesn't necessarily imply it would control like those games classic games in the coined genre term either). The closest I saw to a description of how it plays was a quote talking about "skillful platforming" which again could either be like Mario or Flashback or Prince of Persia or Braid or...

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Which review in particular explains that well then, none of the quotes in that thread do (also it's cinematic adventure in what you quote there, not cinematic platformer like you joined it together from different instances, so it doesn't necessarily imply weighty controls a la Abe's Oddysee, just that it has an emphasis on story telling, but even if it said cinematic platformer or similar that doesn't necessarily imply it would control like those games classic games in the coined genre term either, it could also be like Braid or something more contemporary). The closest I saw to a description of how it plays was a quote talking about "skillful platforming" which again could either be like Mario or Flashback or Prince of Persia or...
No clue about the weightiness specifically; you'll have to dig through some of the reviews. Maybe ask in the review thread.

EDIT: Going through the reviews I found these bits about the platforming:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to find a physical release of this game for a present. So far the only physical release I found is a Japanese version. Does anyone know if that will have english voice acting?

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Should they have called it Forgotanne?
Is there a reason they misspelled "forgotten?"
I wonder how many sales it'll miss by misspelling forgotten.

As far as title fuck-ups go, this one is absolutely up there with the legends, if not at the very tippy top.

I should say it's all the more baffling given this was published by a major publisher, but then that publisher is Square Enix of all publishers.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want the physical version of this game as a gift, but the only one left is Japanese import. Does anyone know if it has the English voice acting and subtitles still?