• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So I'm on a retro PC binge at the moment. Been playing the old Commandos games. Thief, Soldier of Fortune and Deus Ex etc..but I consider these to be pretty high profile titles. Some are certainly more niche than others, but they all received lots of sequels. But I'm curious what games I might have missed back then that maybe didn't set the charts alight? I'm thinking the likes of Sin or Messiah, or Giants Citizen Kabuto etc.

So what's out there that you remember fondly but that no-one ever really talks about anymore? Bonus points if they're still fun to play today!

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YLAzfG5VWs_I_KLrQyw5_8irSp6zD62Z5t9xsnr1agrccqFa4zKPhh1ZdbG-h0_rMg=h900

JezzBall was the shit

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Fitting:
www.resetera.com

Do you remember the Wheel of Time PC game?

Over two decades ago, while Wheel of Time, still unfinished, was fairly popular in fantasy lit circles, a video game adaptation was made, for PC only. It was a first-person shooter. You played an Aes Sedai (a non-canon character invented for the game, IIRC) who fought Darkfriend/enemies with...

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Interstate '76 is an old favorite on mine, but even the GOG release is a bit busted on modern PCs without having to install a bunch of weird workarounds. Ironically, it works best in Linux on wine.

Fitting:
www.resetera.com

Do you remember the Wheel of Time PC game?

Over two decades ago, while Wheel of Time, still unfinished, was fairly popular in fantasy lit circles, a video game adaptation was made, for PC only. It was a first-person shooter. You played an Aes Sedai (a non-canon character invented for the game, IIRC) who fought Darkfriend/enemies with...
That was a good one too, I'm still bummed I lost the disc to it.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
This is definitely not what you are looking for, but I used to play a lot of Boxworld back in 98. I was only 6 back then, so I thought it was a lot of fun. I don't think I ever finished it though.

hqdefault.jpg

Mechwarrior 2 was also cool, but it's probably awful to play by today's standards:

61QWNF15KFL._AC_.jpg

EDIT: Apparently, there is a Mechwarrior 5 that released last year? Holy shit!

Last edited:

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Sacrifice was pretty cool back in the day and no one talks about it anymore. Didn't play it in a while, I wonder how it stacks up today (and Citizen Kabuto as well, for that matter.)

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it counts but just in case because it's one of faves nobody talks about anymore. Medal of Honor Allied Assault. Was such a great online experience.

Another was the C&C Renegade. A third person shooter in the world of C&C.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
The "A Game Of Robot" series. Robot 3 in particular.
I'm not sure there is anyone here that has ever heard of the (German-only) series though.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Older than the intended era, but this is the first one I think of whenever forgotten/old PC games come up.

Also, check out all the games from Dynamix (Stellar 7, Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China, etc.):

Dynamix - Wikipedia

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
do y'all remember Midtown Madness? I loved that game so much. it was literally the gateway drug to my love for games. I had played games before but Midtown Madness helped truly appreciate the art. I first learned about the game through a Microsoft Demo Disc but then we eventually bought the full game on PC. I credit that game even more knowing that that studio who made Midtown Madness (Angel Studios) went on to make Midnight Club and most of their driving mechanics became standard in Rockstar Games. only later did I realize that Angel then became Rockstar San Diego and made Red Dead Redemption later down the line.

It also paved the way for open world driving games too

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I was so fucking happy when this finally came to GOG.

ee843cc38b43576ceb3e701fe5a0b6c2.jpg

One of the coolest, and my first, strategy games.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely not what you are looking for, but I used to play a lot of Boxworld back in 98. I was only 6 back then, so I thought it was a lot of fun. I don't think I ever finished it though.

hqdefault.jpg

Mechwarrior 2 was also cool, but it's probably awful to play by today's standards:

61QWNF15KFL._AC_.jpg

Mechwarrior 4 I think will have aged better.
MechWarrior_4_-_Vengeance_Coverart.png

I think mechwarrior 3 is really hard to get working on a modern PC.

I really enjoy mechwarrior 5, and can recommend it though it doesn't belong in this thread.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Dark Colony

G-Nome

Dominion Storm over Gift 3

none of these are on GOG either...

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Just looking at my GoG backlog...

Insane, an off-road driving game.

Throne of Darkness, Diablo clone with samurais.

Battle Realms, a really great RTS that at the time competed fairly well with Warcraft III, but it has been forgotten to the tides of time.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'd like to throw in Earth Siege and Heavy Gear 1+2, two series that aren't available anywhere either.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017
Some great suggestions, especially Wheel of Time and Shogo.

For me the first thing that springs to mind that really should get more love is Severance/Blade of Darkness (it had different names in different territories), released in 2001.

18z5n4lm8apqdjpg.jpg

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

61QWNF15KFL._AC_.jpg

if you think MW2 is forgotten, then I have a bridge to sell you. It's still fondly and widely remembered (it had its 25 year anniversary last month) and it is the second highest requested game on GOG.

It's also still very fun to play.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I remember staying up for the opportunity to download this off of a BBS. It had so much promise and was absolute dogshit!
Lol it was like impossible. I played it as a kid and was confused AF reading the booklets and stuff. At least it had some cool FMV

edit: I don't think that gameplay I posted is the CD ROM version. I remember it having FMV sequences when you launched off and stuff.

edit2: it did!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
do y'all remember Midtown Madness? I loved that game so much. it was literally the gateway drug to my love for games. I had played games before but Midtown Madness helped truly appreciate the art. I first learned about the game through a Microsoft Demo Disc but then we eventually bought the full game on PC. I credit that game even more knowing that that studio who made Midtown Madness (Angel Studios) went on to make Midnight Club and most of their driving mechanics became standard in Rockstar Games. only later did I realize that Angel then became Rockstar San Diego and made Red Dead Redemption later down the line.

It also paved the way for open world driving games too

It's one of those IPs that I'm surprised it just died. Midtown Madness 3 for the Xbox was great and it has such a unique style and humor. I loved it. Midnight Club goes full gangster and street racing and it just isn't as fun.

Forza Horizon is fun but... I want a game where I can just go crazy in a big city! FH4 edinburgh is so.... little.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
936476-cover.jpg

Probably not very good. I remember playing it with my dad at 4-6 FPS on our helpless family computer.

Earthsiege was great! I'll throw in another game that seemed fun, at least based on the demo that came with Earthsiege: Mission Force Cyberstorm

710c7b95b573891744bf2473acc8cda3e404214a127ea4bdabb8c02ed47b8472_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
RrAWHhS.png

Never heard anyone talk about this game ever. A pretty damn hard point and click adventure that's so fucking random and weird.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
F2XTiG5avmiINJzUTguuTZcwN-P_EJpCG-urYaTa0wFsZBazsQfD1pVBEaeaIkadbg=s1200

Why does no one remember Gruntz? It's even made by the same people who did FEAR and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.....

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017

61QWNF15KFL._AC_.jpg

Mechwarrior 4 I think will have aged better.
MechWarrior_4_-_Vengeance_Coverart.png

I think mechwarrior 3 is really hard to get working on a modern PC.

I really enjoy mechwarrior 5, and can recommend it though it doesn't belong in this thread.
Mechwarrior 2 is at least as fun now as it was when it released in 1995. It's still, without a doubt, one of the best games ever made and probably the best game in the "arcade sim" genre.

Getting Mechwarrior 3 (and Mech 2 Mercenaries) working on a modern PC is a bit challenging, but the community has made it much easier. For Mechwarrior 2, there's MechVM, which takes care of everything for you provided you feed it a version of Mechwarrior 2 that actually works on modern PCs (not all of them do). Mechwarrior 3 has something of a community release version that works just fine on modern PCs.

Nimmermehr

Oct 27, 2017
warlords-ii_6.gif

Warlords 2! We had such a great time with 4 people multiplayer.
Three people reading comics while one was playing..

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hunter Hunted, used to have a blast on this with my bro back in the day:

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin

hqdefault.jpg

61QWNF15KFL._AC_.jpg

Yeah, it's not what you think, but if you have game pass try it out