• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Developing the engine and the game at the same time is normal practice, unfortunately.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
I mean what he his definition of Masterpiece ?

He said the game will be great with big story improvement with much richer gameplay.

Halo Reach is not masterpiece but has Great Story, some gameplay change and lot content in his multiplayer and it have 91 MC.
Well Reach wouldn't get a 91 MC if it released today.
Masterpiece like GOTY material, genre defining game?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Schreier has an article on 343 ready to go I believe, but waiting for closer to HI launch I guess.

I would imagine dropping an expose about the troubles of Infinite's development right before it launches would not be received kindly by the people he would have to source the information from, 343, or Microsoft.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the video and ran it through Google Translate. The video is absolutely real, and the summary posted above is accurate (the translation mentioned the same things). At the end of the video the dude even had a clip of him walking out of 343's building. That's as legit as it gets.
Ah, thank you. I missed those details (context).

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So it's a video game being made in 2021?

Seems like this is the case across so many developers and publishers. When does it get better?
well it has always been like this way before 2021. every developer crunches, you just didn't hear about it much before, Its nothing new. every great blockbuster game you have played has been made with crunch. every.. single.. one.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
This hit very close.
If people could see AAA game development from the inside, they'd be surprised *any* game ships at all.

From reading about the odd bits of material about game development, it really does seem that games are literally made with black magic and it is a wonder they are ever made.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't recall 343 saying anything like that. But I've read on here a fair amount that the game was content complete around when it would have launched last year and I'd be very surprised if that's the case.
Content complete and Gold are very different, you can be content complete and still be a year out from release.
The crunch part sucks, especially after this interview with Bonnie Ross, where she said that they will try to prevent it after they already broke their promise with Halo 5: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/34...on-crunch-halo-infinite-career-microsoft-xbox
From what we know that was the case for the first few years, when they did the E3 2018 trailer breakdown they mentioned that they were proud to say they didn't crunch to make the trailer or have the engine features ready for the trailer. It seems since then things went off the rail.

Sad but true.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Well Reach wouldn't get a 91 MC if it released today.
Masterpiece like GOTY material, genre defining game?
I would say a Masterpiece is something that will be looked at as a povital game that moved the industry forward for all intents and purposes, like The last of us, Red dead Redemption, GTA 3, BOTW. Games that are still referenced years after they have left our collective concience.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with it not being a masterpiece. Honestly I just want a game at this point especially so they can stop being under crunch.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
User Banned (1 Week): Whataboutism, Community Sniping Over Multiple Posts and Threads

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Nothing that wasn't already known/assumed for the most part, all sounds pretty standard for a big AAA game in development.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
I think it being cross-gen removed any idea that this would be 343s Magnum Opus. I've only expected that its going to be a fantastic Halo game and a return to form akin to the Bungie days. As long as I get a great story with the Chief and classic Halo multiplayer, then this will be a win in my book. However, I may have higher expectations for a Series X/S/PC exclusive sequel.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, not to mention he/she is Chinese and specifically, a skybox artist. Either this is completely fake (most likely) or this person will be identified in absolutely no time.
he is real, he just doesnt give a fuck since he doesnt work there anymore.. you can find it brave or dumb, up to you

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Yeah not the smartest move to make if this is real
Apparently he shows his face on camera too, so something fishy is definitely going on here. Honestly, with his face being shown on camera, this makes me think this is more fake than believable (you'd have to think an actual employee would have an NDA of some sort before speaking so candidly about a game currently under development, especially one he is apparently still working on).

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why do people feel this is fake? Nothing he said is bad, besides crunch, and a lot of dev's do it unfortunately. Infinite having development issues could be seen by the demo last year.

Edit: He also was shown walking out of 343's office, plus his badge. It's obvious he worked there.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, not to mention he/she is Chinese and specifically, a skybox artist. Either this is completely fake (most likely) or this person will be identified in absolutely no time.

??????????????????????????????????????

The man literally showed his 343 ID. And what does his nationality have to do with anything, what the fuck is wrong with you???????

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The crunch part sucks, especially after this interview with Bonnie Ross, where she said that they will try to prevent it after they already broke their promise with Halo 5: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/34...on-crunch-halo-infinite-career-microsoft-xbox

As far as this persons work goes... Who know if it'll release some day. Game is supposed to be a platform for the next 10 years and I'm sure they'll need lots of content to have a steady stream of updates. Maybe his work will be part of it.

Gotta say... That news about PNW-biome (+ sub-biomes) is pretty disappointing and their reasoning is, too. Something about making Zeta Halo more believable, which I find mind boggling for a game like Halo. I can't help it, but I constantly get reminded of Cortana's "incelement weather" comment in Halo CE.

The news about snow storms and etc. coming post launch also give your post even more credit.
What is the source on one biome?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It appears there is an increased trend towards semi-open worlds among AAA games as an obvious way to make a sequel feel 'refreshing' and a clear improvement over their predecessors. Gears tried to do it and even though it wasn't a disaster, the more open areas are also the weakest parts of the game imo. ND tried to do it with both LL and TLOUSII but it was limited to essentially one area (still loads of fun) and the studio has been iterating over the same engine for decades.

Still, it's honestly unthinkable to me how MS allowed the situation around Halo Infinite to unfold the way it did. On one hand, pretty much everything shown made it 100% clear to anyone that the game is not anywhere close to release. On the other hand, the whole Series promotional campaign was designed around this game meaning that either there was some serious miscommunication between parties or MS was fully aware from the beginning and they really needed the Halo name to drive sales.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
he is real, he just doesnt give a fuck since he doesnt work there anymore.. you can find it brave or dumb, up to you
Yeah that was a suicide move lol.
Not only you breached NDA and are legally liable, but no company will want to risk hiring you in the future.
Yeah, like I said above, the fact he unveiled his real identity actually makes me super suspicious of this overall. He either completely murdered his own career just now, or this is fake. Either outcome seems pretty goofy.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
AAA devs seem to really be struggling in this current and past generation

Honestly I would be cool with many of them going dark and taking their time over the next few years while they retool their pipelines and safeguard/take care of their talent

I feel like the bleed to the talent pool is going to really hurt the quality of games going forward and it is getting harder and harder for AAA games to live up to rising expectations especially now that the hardware is more powerful than ever before

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
689.jpg
haha lmao

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
They should have trusted the process and moved to UE a few years ago after the first internal reboot (you can find plenty of info on the topic) They got scared and kept pushing with their current setup and yeah, that's what happens when you are retrofitting and adding engine features at the same time

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
??????????????????????????????????????

The man literally showed his 343 ID. And what does his nationality have to do with anything, what the fuck is wrong with you???????
I'm not sure what part offended you, I just said his identity will be easy to narrow down with knowing that he is Chinese, worked for 343 then CA, and a skybox artist. Not sure what upset you, didn't say anything that crazy lol?

Then after posting that I learned he showed his face, and now you're saying his badge, so yes, his identity seems very confirmed. Relax.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Apparently he shows his face on camera too, so something fishy is definitely going on here. Honestly, with his face being shown on camera, this makes me think this is more fake than believable (you'd have to think an actual employee would have an NDA of some sort before speaking so candidly about a game currently under development, especially one he is apparently still working on).

how is anything he's talking about hard to believe?

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not a developer but sure doesn't seem normal for MS expecting to ship a game in the fall when the engine was barely finished a few months out.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly believe it would pay dividends to stop trying to expand the scope of games in this franchise, and makes something that's laser focused on doing fewer things really well.

that's the spiritual reboot they really needed.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda a trend with 343. They aim for the moon and it doesn't work out too well, they want to blow the doors off, but what this dev said doesn't sound too bad apart from the crunch so Infinite may be quite good.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
They should have trusted the process and moved to UE a few years ago after the first internal reboot (you can find plenty of info on the topic) They got scared and kept pushing with their current setup and yeah, that's what happens when you are retrofitting and adding engine features at the same time

Not sure why people think that would have made the process any easier.
You're trading a technology you have full control over with a list of known issues and needed improvements, for a new one you've never used and have no idea what issues might cause you, and that you need to deeply modify to suite your needs anyway.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well it has always been like this way before 2021. every developer crunches, you just didn't hear about it much before, Its nothing new. every great blockbuster game you have played has been made with crunch. every.. single.. one.
It's just unavoidable imo. The software I work on as nothing to do with games. Literally nothing, and I was up till maybe 2am last night watching over a hotfix release we were doing and making sure nothing catastrophic happened. That's on top of the late nights it took to find/fix the problem leading up to last night.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
how is anything he's talking about hard to believe?
Not what he's saying, but the fact that if this were a real employee, that they're so openly breaking NDA for a game currently in development. Something very suspicious about this story, which makes me lean fake, but this is pure speculation. Otherwise, why would an employee commit employment suicide?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what part offended you, I just said his identity will be easy to narrow down with knowing that he is Chinese, worked for 343 then CA, and a skybox artist. Not sure what upset you, didn't say anything that crazy lol?

Then after posting that I learned he showed his face, and now you're saying his badge, so yes, his identity seems very confirmed. Relax.

Your original message's wording is... unfortunate. I apologize for overreacting. But this is not fake, he's probably done with 343.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
While I believe the crunch stuff is real. I think this guy wasn't a 343 employee. He is purposefully damaging his career. These people have NDAS. If real, except a Microsoft lawyer to go after him.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Very unfortunate to hear about crunch again. It's the reason why I changed course and stopped pursing game development early on. Instead I make just as much as a data analyst and work less hours with better work-life balance.

Seems like he was a real 343 employee.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
While I believe the crunch stuff is real. I think this guy wasn't a 343 employee. He is purposefully damaging his career. These people have NDAS. If real, except a Microsoft lawyer to go after him.
I know for a fact he is a real employee. I know this specific artist, not in person but know of him

edit: and no I will not spread his information around.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, like I said above, the fact he unveiled his real identity actually makes me super suspicious of this overall. He either completely murdered his own career just now, or this is fake. Either outcome seems pretty goofy.
Murdered his career? He dosent work at MS anymore so he dosent care prob.
Why does it have too be fake? Nothing he said is unbelievable.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Your original message's wording is... unfortunate. I apologize for overreacting. But this is not fake, he's probably done with 343.
I said he was Chinese because the original article seems to be in Mandarin. And him being Chinese in addition to the other details would help narrow down his identity (this is before I even knew he fully revealed his identity). Merely saying he's Chinese literally had zero racist connotations if that's what you were implying, I was just concerned this person was outing their identity before knowing he openly did it anyway!

If this is real, I don't see how he didn't just compromise his whole career, but I'm ignorant on this subject and only speculating.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Not what he's saying, but the fact that if this were a real employee, that they're so openly breaking NDA for a game currently in development. Something very suspicious about this story, which makes me lean fake, but this is pure speculation. Otherwise, why would an employee commit employment suicide?

Yeah that's fair. I hope he's got his bases covered! That said I hope we hear more from this game's development. Something's gotta change in this industry, doesn't feel sustainable when you hear these stories from almost every studio