• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

The former 343 employee uploaded another video. Watch it on your own to get a better understanding of the context, in short though, he's not happy with the rough translation posted here and what the media made out of that. He regrets to make the first video, he says that working at 343 was an "happy experience" for him and he does not agree what the made made out of that for clicks.

- "Were there rough days? Sure. Most game jobs have rough days. People I know work really hard on the game. Because we care."
- "Slipspace is getting better every day. People are working really hard. You can achieve amazing graphical results. More features are getting added, performance is getting better, I'm sure it has improved even more after I left."
- He never once was forced to crunch. "Many of us just want to go the extra mile to do the best we can (...) because we care"
- He also says the new working-from-home environment does not always allow people to work within their usual schedule (kids at home etc.)
- in general he often says "people here care (for Halo)"
- He's especially mad about the media taking one sentence of a 15min video. He says there is no studio-wide crunch culture at 343 and once again says he never was forced to crunch once. If you crunched or went hard because you wanted to or needed to reach a deadline, "you are allowed to take a day off to decompress"
- He's very genuine in the way he expresses the things above, the videos he creates are meant to be positive

I hope he's fine with me trying to summarise it like that in a better way, but at the end of the day, if you want the full context, watch the video. The video is good and honest and is also a big blow towards click-bait media sites.
I posted this in the 343 thread, if anyone didn't have the chance to watch the video (which you should):

He hasn't been able to sleep or eat because of the stress of news sites and channels miss-attributing quotes and publishing partial/misleading forum quotes to him. He's worried that people at 343 are going to think he's smearing them because of this misreporting, while also being worried about what his future employers might think about it.

Direct video quotes:
"All because people took a few sentences out of the contexts of a 15mins long video, wrote about an article about it for clicks."

Clarifying the video :
"So I wanted to make this video, to clarify some of the things in other video I shared. To bring some actual context to the things people partially translated and quoted on. So the very first things I need to say and I said it in my last video, is that I do not represent 343. Everything is my own opinion, I shared my own experience working at 343 and it was overall a very happy experience. I am not and shouldn't be a Halo news source , I repeat I am not and should not be a Halo news source. I am one employee in this big development team, my experience does not represent everyones experience there. I live in Washington state, I love it here. But my experience with Washington state is not going to be the same as my experience next door. The same thing applies here, some people might have better experience than I do and some people might have it worse I don't know. I can't speak for everyone at 343, secondly my knowledge of the project is limited. Even though I work on this game, I don't know everything about it. I can share with you my overall experience, but that is not going to be the full story. I don't even know everyone in the studio, either way no one should take a single experience from a single former employee to judge the whole studio and their game. That's not fair and genuine, I was genuinely happy when I was at 343. If it was that bad I wouldn't stay for 8 years, where there rough days? sure most job have rough days. I stated in the video, that I was very grateful to do what I do. People I know work very hard for the game because we care, I left 343 because it was time for me to move on. The 343 "baggage" I was talking about, is the fact that I will not be able to work on any other IP as long as I'm at 343. I want to try new things, and with 343 I can't and thats fair because Halo is the only IP they're working on. I left 343 in a good term, there was no bad blood. I mentioned in the video that I all most cried on my last walk in the studio because I'm really... really going to miss the place and the people there.

On project ambition/content cutting :
The articles also mentions that I said the game is overly ambitious and stuff, do I think the game was overly ambitious? yes. But that is my opinion, was I sad that some of the work I did got cut? sure, but that happens to almost every form of entertainment, movies, tv shows, events and video games you name it. We watch the deleted scene from good movies all the time, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. While I didn't make any of the decisions, we can all agree that is better to have a good solid game without fillers. I remember watching a deleted scene from Revenge of the Sith, that scene is about Yoda arriving at Dagoba. In the DVD the person who work on the shot felt really sad that this shot got cut from the final movie, he said he actually begged George Lucas to put that in the movie but it got cut. It's the same thing here, the contents being cut in the game. This does not mean they do it on purpose to upset the artist, this happens all the time in video games and movies and television shows and so on.

On the "masterpiece" comment :
The forum and the press mentioned don't expect it to be a masterpiece and the reason I say that is because we are in the age of games that can get hyped up so much and fans starting to have unrealistic expectation about it. It does not mean it's not going to be a good game,
I said it in the video I still look froward to play it and I will always support game because I know how hard people worked on it. We got good writers working on it, the story is going to be great. Semi- open world is going to be fun, in my video I just suggest that the audience should have an open mind going into this video game after all it is the very first time Halo in a semi-open world form. it might not check all the checkboxes that you have for the game, but it can still be a good game.

On the engine (SlipSpace) comments :
And about the engine, some article says I said the engine is defective. This is a misleading way to saying this, what I said is that engine still needs updates. There are still improvements to be made and again that happens to every game engine. Unreal 4 still have updates and patches despite them already announcing unreal 5 already and that is an engine thats been here for decades. I stated in the video that the Halo engine is getting better every day, everybody is working really hard on it. It can achieve amazing graphical result, everyone is working hard to implement new features in it. Performance is getting better, I'm certain it will improve even more after I left.

On the crunch comments :
And finally the crunch, this is what upset me the most. It is one sentence in a 15 mins long video, which wasn't even a point of the video and that got brought out to be the headline of these articles. I really need to clarify that I never said that there was a constant crunch, nor did I say I was forced to crunch in the video.
Everyone crunch for a different reason, some could be the deadline sure. But many of us just want to go the extra mile to do the best we can, sometime an artist like me got into a zone and they just want to continue. I some time got really into what I was working on and I forgot to eat and I was eager to finish while I had the momentum going. I didn't want to stop creative juices from flowing, when ever that happens an artist could easily loose their sense of time and keep in mind we have been working from home for over a year now. Lots of time I wasn't able to focus on work during the day fully because kids are running around, I have to do tech support because they're doing remote learning. Sometime I need to go help out in the kitchen because dinning out wasn't really safe. So often I start to focus on after the kids are asleep, which is around 9pm so I work through midnight very easily. Either way I really need to clarify that I wasn't forced to crunch and It's definitely not a constant thing. But the press make it look like 343 has a crunch culture and that really made me mad because everyone have different experience. some people do crunch a little bit more than the other, but that is not across the studio and that is not happen constantly. People who work in 343 including myself are allowed to take a personal day off to decompress and spend time with family. Think about it if I really crunch for a project every single day how in the world do I have time to keep this Youtube channel running and another channel on BilliBilli? The purpose I said my colleague and I had experienced working over midnight is because I want to show people that we care about this project, we are passionate about it. Maybe sometime we do need to hit the deadline, but that is a very rare thing for me for the past eight years I was there. once again I can only speaK for my self, I don't speak for other employee or their schedule. So don't just take what I said in my personal experience and apply it to the whole studio. It doesn't work like that.

Press/channel coverage of the partially translated and misleading forum post/translation :
So, I understand that big game websites and channels need content to run, you want to get more clicks. I understand as I am running a youtube channel myself, but to take a partially translated forum post and run a full article on it is not responsible and honestly is pretty lazy because things I shared in that video nobody, no press, no creator reached out to me personally to get more context. I actually sent email message to some of the websites and the youtube creators wanting to offer more context for what I said and neither of them got back to me. Why is that? it really made me upset
that my video which was intended for positivity and encouragement, somehow turned into this. If you're working with the press or running a game news channel please be responsible with your source. And if you're a halo fan take my word with a pinch of salt because as I can not talk for everyone in a huge project in a studio like this."

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
- He's especially mad about the media taking one sentence of a 15min video. He says t

gaming media reporting nothing but clickbait news?

absolutely not shocking

--------

crunch is crunch, no matter how "forced" it is

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
working into the morning hours is a sign of a bad culture at a workplace, whether its forced or not. i'm saying this as someone who pulled some all-nighters myself when working on my phd and yes i'm well aware that 343 is far from the only crunching developer in the business

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Crunch is crunch though. Just because it's not "forced", doesn't mean the pressure to crunch isn't there. It's the same at Naughty Dog..

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Is this not forced in the same way no ND employee were forced to crunch?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I hate how cynical I've become with some of this stuff that my first thought was, "Dude realises he's made it easy for 343/his company to know who he is, and this is damage control".

Crunch is crunch.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
working into the morning hours is a sign of a bad culture at a workplace, whether its forced or not. i'm saying this as someone who pulled some all-nighters myself when working on my phd and yes i'm well aware that 343 is far from the only crunching developer in the business
Yeah. No matter how passionate you're about work, crunch like that is never okay.

But I feel sorry for the dev for having to make this video at all.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Forced crunch is worse than voluntary crunch. But crunch is bad regardless. If you allow your employees to work themselves to death, no matter how passionate they are about their work, that's a problem. And it's bad management. I get that he's unhappy how the media twisted his words, but we don't need to celebrate the fact that crunch in 343 is voluntary.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I dont think 'forced crunch' is a thing anywhere. But everyone knows how that works out in an office environment.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The culture of crunch is the problem, whether it is forced or not. This is the video game industry, and a developer with a wealthy publisher so they could easily afford to staff up if they were under that amount of pressure.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Feel sorry for him and I apologize for jumping to conclusion on the crunch part in the other thread. I'll be more careful with rough translations in the future.

Also, I suggest to actually watch the video, rather than focusing again on a couple key points. The video does a really good job.

He says this is largely due to WFH and having to manage the household, kids and etc. Additionally, he says that 343i devs can take days off, if everything gets too much. It sounds very genuine, to be honest.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unforced crunch is still setting the expectation you're going to stay late because it looks bad if you leave before everyone else. We've heard this defense before and it's always a poor one.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I would love for an independent standards body to come up with ethical labor standards and give a badge to games made with certified ethical labor standards.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Crunch is still crunch. The only difference I make is how excessive and how long the crunch period is, because short crunch is the lesser evil compared to very long and brutal crunch.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
I feel like people are once again just reading the summary instead of watching the video. He seems really genuine in what he's saying.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
"Forced" is such a misnomer when it comes to crunch. A boss might not come to you and say "You have to work 60hour weeks or you're fired" but if (almost) everyone at a developer is crunching then how volontary is it really?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
He never once was forced to crunch. "Many of us just want to go the extra mile to do the best we can (...) because we care"
- in general he often says "people here care (for Halo)"
- He's especially mad about the media taking one sentence of a 15min video. He says there is no studio-wide crunch culture at 343 and once again says he never was forced to crunch once. If you crunched or went hard because you wanted to or needed to reach a deadline, "you are allowed to take a day off to decompress"

what do you know... lol. click bait always drives traffic.

Anyways hyped for Halo Infinite and hope 343i knocks it out the park.😊

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Has anyone else listened to the original video and can give a more genuine translation than the one that was posted here earlier?

Sad to hear how he was negatively affected by comments taken out of context. I recommend everyone to watch the actual video, it's in english this time, instead of just taking the title and replying to it with "crunch is crunch".

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
- He never once was forced to crunch. "Many of us just want to go the extra mile to do the best we can (...) because we care"

This is the problem though lol. You can enjoy spending the extra mile and time crunching, and your co-workers who don't enjoy that would get pressured to do the same. Worse when it's the senior or lead position people who has this mentality.

And then the people way above who did the scheduling and funding who only see the result and think "hey this team finished this game on time, maybe they can do it faster next time"

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Crunch is still shit... It would probably be a good idea to do direct quotes this time, rather than the quoted summary bullet point list that put him in a bad position in the first place. Ideally 343 would have anti-crunch rules, whether people on the team want to crunch or not. The title is also not the best, you would probably be better of direct quoting "there is no studio wide crunch culture" otherwise you're going to have people fairly posting based off the title alone.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

No, Some of you may not care. While others will feel forced by pressure of how the rest of the team views you or knowing that if you dont also crunch some one else's work gets harder.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Unforced crunch is meaningless if it's built into the culture of the company.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
"Unforced crunch" is one of the saddest thing to hear about this industry work culture...

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
your voluntary crunch, basically becomes someone else's peer pressured forced crunch.
thats how all these companies take advantage of it.
cut the bullshit terminology, crunch is crunch.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
At least forced crunch doesn't make people feel guilty for wanting to have a healthy work-life balance or feel like a false choice where the other option is being let go. It's a manipulative and toxic characteristic of many work cultures (usually when it comes to using sick days).

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Unforced crunch is still crunch. It's hilarious how brainwashed by their company some people are. At the end of the day they don't care about you so why kill yourself for them. I fell for it too in the past but never again.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Now I feel like the title once again is taking a quote from the video which is out of context, a better title would have been something like "Former 343 Employee Uploads another video saying his earlier statements were taken out of context" and having a direct link to the video in the post instead of just a quote to Klobrilles (good) but not complete summary.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
nuAVDUe.gif

see I'm just wondering how much you really care about the Halo franchise

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So the industry defends itself by pointing out they are not working by literal slave labour.
Well, colour me convinced that everything is A OK, and there's nothing to see here. /s

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Former Employee: "I was taken out of context and I actually enjoyed my time at 343.
Era: "This is why you are wrong."

Not saying there aren't shades here but woof you guys.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Now I feel like the title once again is taking a quote from the video which is out of context, a better title would have been something like "Former 343 Employee Uploads another video saying his earlier statements were taken out of context" and having a direct link to the video in the post instead of just a quote to Klobrilles (good) but not complete summary.
Yup.

OP
OP
rrc1594

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

That's fair but people could read the OT it takes like 5 seconds lol

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Which is what he denies in the video.

If management is happy to let employees work late into the night and is not stepping in to make them go home, it's enforcing negative labour practices.

Companies are more than happy to leverage passion as a way to handwave people devoting more hours into a project than their work contract states.

Don't think that because there isn't a person cracking a whip or because employees are volunteering to do it that it isn't a exploitative practice.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Crunch is crunch though. Just because it's not "forced", doesn't mean the pressure to crunch isn't there. It's the same at Naughty Dog..
This is the nature of working to a deadline of any sort. I know that as I approach one I always end up working harder because I'm making extra tweaks or polish it changes towards whatever I put together. Nobody forces that on me. I'm just personally driven to do something the best I can .

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch. The. Video.

Also, that "2077" that flew across when he was talking about realistic expectations killed me 🤣

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If management is happy to let employees work late into the night and is not stepping in to make them go home, it's enforcing negative labour practices.
This is not what happened. He said essentially... when working from hom he sometimes had not much time to work (kids, meal, ...), so he decided on his own to do his work late and into the night.

Last edited: