• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
This should probably get it's own thread.

A few members of the old crew talked about some issues with the old company in one of their latest videos, citing examples of heavy crunch. One of the members was forced to complete Final Fantasy 7 Remake in two days. Skip to the April section of the video below.

After this, a post was made about it on the official GameXplain subreddit. This wound up being deleted by a mod who was an unknown member of the team (NOT GoodVibesGaming) and the subreddit wound up being locked. It was restored to normal after the head mod kicked the GameXplain mod out.

In response to one of the comments on the post, Steve's wife mentioned how he only made a dollar or two an hour while working for the company.
Lol at manipulated by "their women", like we're property.

I'll say this- if Steve was treated like a person instead of a machine and paid fairly for the amount of work he was expected to put out, I would have fully supported him staying on at GX. However for what worked out to be around $1-2 an hour between playing through games, writing and producing videos, maintaining and growing relationships with developers, working to get code for games, etc., I would have been a terrible partner NOT to encourage him to find a way to continue doing what he loves in a healthy way.

As far as him being workphobic? He also maintains (and has since before GX) a corporate 9-5 career... while also helping to raise four children. Trust me, he's extremely hard working.

old.reddit.com

Ash, Derrick and Steve have finally commented more on why they left GameXplain, and its horrible working conditions they had to face.

(Warning: This thread may show a perspective of Gamexplain, and gaming journalism in general, that may be hard for some of you to swallow and may...

This situation is still developing. Explains why a lot of the members left.

New: Statements from Steve and Derrick:

Alright, y'all. I've been trying to keep my distance from this, but I see a lot of questions that I feel deserve some context, and I don't want to remain silent when I feel the community deserves answers.

Everything I'm going to say is rooted in fact. I won't be offering my opinions of GX, or of Andre, just things I know to be true, because they happened to me.

I joined GameXplain in December 2018. Andre started paying me for my work in September 2019. We discussed a fee of $550. I had no idea if my videos were even worth the amount I had asked for, and I didn't know what anybody else at the channel was paid at the time.

That $550 was a flat fee per-month, not per-video and without any additional performance-based incentives. That means if I did a couple of news updates or discussions, I got that $550.

Conversely, it also means if I was reviewing TLOU2 while playing through Paper Mario TTYD and participating in Game Club, I still got just $550.

Every month I also maintained GX's email server and worked with publishers and developers to secure review copies for the entire team.

If I brought in a sponsorship deal, meaning I negotiated the deal, wrote, recorded, edited and posted the video, I would receive 33% of the proceeds, with the remaining 67% going to the channel, but those were few and far between.

I didn't consider what my hourly rate was until my wife showed me the math; she was right.

After Derrick left, Andre offered me a full-time position for $50k annually, with 25% of sponsorships I brought in being offered. This was far lower than Andre was aware I was making at my full-time job at the time, and I couldn't accept it while supporting my family. I had concerns after seeing an employment contract offered to somebody else; there were clauses contained therein that would have brought a negative impact to my career.

We're not asking people to unfollow GX and we definitely don't want to undermine the work the new staff there has done and continues to do. They deserve the same consideration and love that you've all shown us over the years and all of us are unanimously agreed that we don't want this to undermine or reflect negatively on their efforts.

Regardless of your own opinion of Andre or GX, I'd like to ask that nobody engage in harassment of any kind. That isn't what GVG is about, and we don't condone that type of behavior, period.

I hope this sheds some light on my experience with GX. I appreciate all the messages of support I've received over the past 24 hours. I hope I've answered your questions!

And that's all I have to say about that. I love you all.
Hi everyone! Derrick has prepared a statement regarding this situation, but he doesn't have an Era account so I'm posting it on his behalf. I am also preparing my own statement which I will post later, but for now all I'll say is that I fully back everything Steve and now Derrick have said about the situation. It's all true.

That said, I would like to echo Derrick and Steve's reminders that it has never been our intention to have Good Vibes Gaming compete with or undermine GX. The new crew of Joey, Tris, and Chris (as well as my good friend Tom, who remains at GX) deserve the same love and consideration you all have graciously shown us over the years and we are NOT asking you to unsubscribe from GX or pull support from their Patreon. We'd also like to remind you that while we understand your desire for Andre to make a statement, we strongly ask that you don't harass him; we appreciate your sympathy and support, but we categorically do not want this to turn into a witch hunt.

And now, Derrick's statement:

Obviously, I've never posted to ResetEra before this, but I wanted to get some things out there that I've bottled up for some time now. I also want to provide some more context if possible, but these are just some of my experiences. First, none of us knew how much each other was making. All I knew was that I was making the most of all the employees as I had been there the longest. Each year, I would get a raise until I topped out at $5k/month in 2018. Despite asking for my yearly raise, Andre said that the channel couldn't afford it as by that point Jon had been brought on. I didn't mind though as having Jon on the team was a lifesaver. He was able to do updates and keep an eye on the channel, lightening my daily work load significantly. I felt expected to be on call at all times and would be nervous to even leave my home most days, fearing that some random Nintendo news would come out. This didn't really go away until Jon joined and Aimee pushed me to take time for myself. Rarely did Andre handle an update and when it was just him, he would wait until either Jon or myself was free again to actually handle it. Before then, it always had to be done ASAP. As for GameXplain's income, I was able to see the analytics for quite some time and the estimation is mostly on point though there were some months where it would dip below that estimation. But the high end always felt massive and I hoped that the rest of the team, especially Jon, was being compensated with that extra income. That said, I had to handle any work expenses myself for the most part, including consoles and equipment. The only part of my current setup provided by Andre is my mic. I paid for my flights to LA for E3 or trains to NY for Nintendo events while Andre would handle the cost of hotels if needed and meals if we were together. I never said anything as the expenses could be used as write-offs for my taxes and helped at the end of the year.

However, this year felt different as the team started talking more. I discovered that Jon was making less than half of what I did despite doing the same amount of work, Steve's income has already been brought up, and Ash had stepped back from the channel for only occasional work. He would send invoices that Andre would eventually get to, but Andre always had to be reminded to send our paychecks out. We tried to get a calendar started so he could be more consistent but he resisted the idea. One other thing to know is that despite a Discord where we all chatted and coordinated, Andre would often DM each of us to ask specific things. Ostensibly it was so we could see them better, but often it felt like a way to strongarm for videos he wanted. There were many times when he wanted an update on something that I didn't feel was worth the time as I was working on other things, but he would push until I relented. Sometimes he gave up, but that was rare. It got to a point where I would ignore or put off looking at his DMs if I was busy with something else or be more combative over the updates he wanted to put out. Andre was extremely controlling, seemingly timing things to directly disrupt plans. He gave Jon tons of work when his YouTube channel took off, making it difficult for him to make videos there. He also asked me to stop streaming to YouTube as he didn't like old game playthroughs mixed in with our current events style. As a side note, any money I earned from Superchat had to be totaled by me and invoiced at the end of the year as a "bonus." So leaving to Twitch served as a chance to earn money more immediately, especially with a baby on the way and Aimee still unable to work on her own projects due to the effects of COVID. I prepared people for the move for a while as I completed the final playthrough, but on the day of the final stream, Andre contacted me and asked that I stream to GameXplain's Twitch instead.

His reason was that he wouldn't be able to make me properly full-time if I streamed to my own Twitch, something he had been building toward through most of the year. If I streamed to my own Twitch, I would be considered a freelancer and immediately have my pay removed with rates estimated at $15-$20 per update and $100-$150 per feature or review. He said I could have full control of the GameXplain Twitch though so I felt strong-armed into taking the deal. I still got the money from subs and bits monthly but I had to go through him. It also felt like he dragged his feet to confirm Affiliate status because he thought me streaming would somehow turn people away from the new Game Club tier on the Patreon. Around September, he asked me to join a voice call where he wanted to discuss me at GameXplain going forward. I popped in at the appointed time and he asked to be on camera. It turns out he had prepared a PowerPoint where he ran down several things. How COVID had affected ad rates and lowered income, how he was still paying me the same despite this, how I was fighting him when updates had to be done, and ultimately, how I was bringing in less money for the channel then what I was being paid. It ended with a question of whether I was still loyal and still wanted an official full-time position. Again, with a baby on the way, I was scared to the point of meekness because I felt I couldn't put Aimee and the baby in that position.

When Andre finally presented me with the full-time contract, I was in the middle of a nightmare moving situation where I could barely focus on anything. He pushed the fact that I had to make a decision as soon as possible due to timing, but I could not change my income situation without messing up my loan application. Ultimately, he gave me the time I needed and talked to the loan officers as my boss to help me get my loan. But in the intervening time, I was able to take a closer look at the contract. There were no defined set hours, no increase in pay, no overtime, no health coverage (not enough full-time employees), and overtime would only translate to extra time off, not extra pay. In addition, he wanted to approve where I appeared and when I streamed, taking away the one bit of control I had with the Twitch. It felt like I had no say in my life, everything had to go through him if I wanted to earn money beyond GameXplain. But worst of all was an NDA included with the contract. Tucked in the many points listed was a non-compete clause. Basically if I signed the contract and left or was fired from GameXplain for any reason, I would not be able to work in the same space for a year. I took this to mean no YouTube, no games media, nothing. I talked to a lot of people around this time, trying to figure out what to do. After speaking with all of them, including Aimee, Ash, Steve, and Jon, I ultimately decided to leave with Ash and Steve coming with me so we could pursue Ash's idea of Good Vibes Gaming. It felt better to leave and attempt my own thing rather than deal with that contract and the general stress and pressure of GameXplain. Money is tight, but I am so much happier now.

I can only gratefully thank all of you who have supported Good Vibes Gaming so far whether as part of our Patreon, watching my streams, or subscribing to the channel. It means the world to me that I can happily pursue my ideas and I look forward to sharing them with our fans. Ultimately though, no matter what, I request that you don't harass any of the new hires, Tom, or Andre. I merely want to provide more context and shed light on the position I was coming from. Thank you all for your support and take care.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Reviewing 7 Remake in two days...just wow.
Man i feel sorry for the guys...that a way to kill your love and enthusiasm for games.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
GVG is awesome to listen to. I heard this earlier in the year and was kind of surprised (but at the same time not because of review deadlines). I hope everyone at GVG can find happiness there.

Disappointed that they were treated badly at GX.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait I thought GameXplain was just a youtube channel.

Who's making these decisions? The guys making the videos?

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
$1-2 an hour?!
That's absolutely fucked

youtube is an unforgiving grind that few make decent money on VS the amount of time it takes to produce content.

the ever-changing algorithm means you can easily spend 40 hours on a video that makes 4 dollars.

can't imagine how the splits would work for a whole company vs doing everything as an individual.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the person who run that group post here?

Guess he's gonna vanish for a while now...

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was thinking of unsubscribing after the exodus of talent

the reddit fiasco pretty much sealed the deal

Sep 9, 2020
I unsubscribed after Ash, Derrick, John, and Steve left, but this is just sad. It seems based on comment history that the moderator in question was in fact Andre (commenting frequently on Ring Fit Adventure). Sad to see him turn into this.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Disappointing to hear, since I've really enjoyed a lot of GameXplain content, although I have noticed a decline in quality since the GVG split off.

Of course, the reality is, both video game journalism and youTube often aren't very lucrative pursuits when you actually add up all the hours you put in on everything (writing, playing games, production, PR shmoozing, ect.) $1 to $2 per hour is particularly bad, nobody should be killing themselves for that kind of money, but people trying to "build something" do it. More telling to me is the Reddit being shut down, that says to me there's bad blood and butt-covering going on. Anyways -- will be making a point of watching more GVG stuff going forward.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Well, I never really watch them anymore. It's just not the same ever since Jon left.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Gamexplain got too big and needed to go into crunch mode to "keep up".

That story about FF VII Remake sucks.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Gamexplain got too big and needed to go into crunch mode to "keep up".

That story about FF VII Remake sucks.

I think it's the opposite. They have remained mostly the same size but it sounds like Youtube doesn't pay as much as it used to. Therefore, you need to generate more videos to get views. So now you have to do more with the same amount of people you had before.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I thought i spoiled myself by going through ff7r in 5-6 days but doing all that in just 2 days is insane

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
It needed better management and GameXplain got too big. I always thought it was a small youtube game review group.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Heard it mentioned that the boss didn't work as many hours as the crew and took home nearly all the money while they all slaved away, as he bought new apartment etc.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GameXplain don't really put out much content that interests me after the big exodus. It's a real shame what they've become and this news isn't surprising to me at least.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It needed better management and GameXplain got too big. I always thought it was a small youtube game review group.
Yeah it's tough when a fandom YT channel suddenly becomes big, and has a staff. It assumes the creator of the channel is also an effective boss and manager, which is almost never the case

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
As a fan of the channel... this all really needs some level of clarification from Andre. Specifically, what is his perspective on the matter, what has he learned from all of this, and what is different about how the site is now being run?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of the channel... this all really needs some level of clarification from Andre.

Apparently he was deleting posts on the subreddit himself, so should you expect an honest response from him if he even wants to talk about it here? He knows if it's here, other places will now start to cover it.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Listening to the actual podcast, and man, relating to all the talk about how it was their wives that finally insisted they quit. I'm in a good work-life balance place now, thank God, but I wasn't in the past, and I remember just staggering through life half-dead after writing millions of news posts, reviews, ect. and my wife being "you need to stop" and me coming up with a million excuses why I had to keep going. Bad times. The kind of bad times a lot of people hacking it out on the lower end up the video game writing spectrum experience I suspect.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
This is honestly sad to hear. I really enjoyed the best days of GameXplain. Being charitable, it sounds like producing all that coverage really strained people and created crunch. I wish they had either scaled back their content or expanded their team. Work life balance is a serious issue. I hope Andre responds and works to improve GameXplain work culture.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the opposite. They have remained mostly the same size but it sounds like Youtube doesn't pay as much as it used to. Therefore, you need to generate more videos to get views. So now you have to do more with the same amount of people you had before.

Interesting. I never understood why people thought they could make a career out of running a Youtube channel. It just didn't seem like a long term viable plan.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this is upsetting. Love GameXplain (although I have found myself not checking them out as much since so many of them left).

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Was wondering when I heard the episode if they blamed Square or Andre about the short amount of review time. Sad thing is that a review loses a lot of importance if it's late. Views wouldn't be nearly as high. It was Square that gave them the game two days before the embargo

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
From listening to the episode a few days ago I didn't really get the impression that they thought GameXplain was evil and forcing them to do things. In the video Steve said he offered to do the FF7 remake review. It seems clear they thought the situation was too much and too stressful work for too little pay, and so they left. But I'm not seeing a company abuse angle here, unless one of them clarifies.