• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
"I think it is clear when the internet decides to cancel someone it is quite difficult to even put something out."

This is a pretty rough take, my man. It makes it sound like, on a whim, people have simply chosen to "cancel" Andre and his YouTube channel. The reason Andre is under fire is because the way he acted hurt a number of people. Now that the audience is aware of his abusive behavior, they are understandably upset.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
Your wording is absolutely terrible and is clearly making it sound as if you think Andre is a victim. Bringing up 'cancel culture', how he's 'backed into a corner' etc. Pretty disgraceful post tbh.

This is a pretty rough take, my man. It makes it sound like, on a whim, people have simply chosen to "cancel" Andre and his YouTube channel. The reason Andre is under fire is because the way he acted hurt a number of people. Now that the audience is aware of his abusive behavior, they are understandably upset.

I get that. As mentioned before I worded it wrongly and as English isn't my main language. I can see why it seems as controversial or disgraceful. I just meant to say it is normal it can take while before he answers on it due to the situation he is in now. Or be an ostrich and just ignore it. Again, what happened is bad but I can imagine when you get critisised like this it is harder to come with some sort of statement right away. We don't know his story yet and that doesn't make the situation better but his story is as important as the others so we know a full story.

I am happy that people fight for crunch. Bad management is terrible, look at Cyberpunk for example. Crunch is just bad and I am happy that we call it out. Cause this shouldn't be the norm at all. Which, it seems reading books like Blood, Sweat and Pixels or just looking in to the INDIE-scene in the past and I guess present seems to be so normal. Shit like the Ubisoft issues or the IGN issue with that plagiarism stuff is terrible when that happens.

I used to work in the indie gaming scene and what I loved about it is how it was so open to a lot of groups. I don't like it when I see a certain type of management taking advantage or destroying what it can and should be. This is both in development and in journalism within gaming (and anything else).

I hope he will say something soon and he either apologises and is going to be better and we don't get a typical sob sob video about how he is a victim. Cause he aint that at all :).

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The phone thing was clearly a personal gift to Steve that Andre then demanded under the false argument that it was actually given to the company. Super petty.

Let's not do this. Seen a bunch of posts about Microsoft sending out a phone.

This would have been a Galaxy Note 20. Microsoft sent a Galaxy Note 20 + controller out to select media outlets and influencers as a promotional freebie to promote xCloud going live in the US.

No one is going to consider this a "personal gift". Anyone working a corporate job isn't going to accept such a gift. Most companies won't let individuals accept gifts over $50 or $100 for ethical reasons.

If anything, it should have been accepted by the outlet and used for coverage, or returned. Someone just keeping it for personal use isn't the intended point.

Yes, sending out a ~$1200 device for xCloud streaming is overkill. Yes, Microsoft knows that. They do it because they're hoping to influence the person that receives it. The multiple posts saying that it should be a gift for a specific reporter kinda glosses over all of that.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Poor guys at GVG. It really feels like a toxic situation they were in. I remember Ash talking a lot in the podcasts about the pay not being enough or that he has to focus on his main job. It felt like wining at the time but now it makes so much sense. I already unsubscribed to Gamexplain and subscribed to GVG before this came to light. I can only hope they will treat each other well and don't end up in such a situation again. I'm shocked about Andre's behaviour. It must sting to see him going on trips all the time or not having to put as much effort compared to the rest. How out of touch can you be to not notice their struggles and being so controlling for more underpaid work?!

There is one thing I am puzzled about though. Is being paid 50k a year considered little in America? Here the minimum wage is 1600 euros a month. That is about 20k a year. Can someone explain this?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Holy shit I had no idea Brandon was behind the editing of the game club videos. They were always so well edited and I likely like many others just assumed it was Derrick or something since there was never a mention of it in the videos. Wow

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
There is one thing I am puzzled about though. Is being paid 50k a year considered little in America? Here the minimum wage is 1600 euros a month. That is about 20k a year. Can someone explain this?

The answer is "it depends".

In most of the US, 50k/year as an individual salary is good. Median household income (typically two incomes) was ~65k last year.

Now, if you live in LA or SF, it's going to be hard to get by on 50k/year.

If you live elsewhere, where cost of living is much cheaper, 50k/year will have you sorted just fine.

Another thing to consider is that salary in the US usually includes benefits for full time workers (vacation days, medical insurance, equity shares, etc.). That makes up what is called "total comp". Total comp isn't usually reflected in salary figures. If that part is missing, than salary can be less than it seems.

Note: This is in the abstract, and assumes a standard 40hr/wk job. It isn't a comment on if pay was fair or not for the GX team.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The answer is "it depends".

In most of the US, 50k/year as an individual salary is good. Median household income (typically two incomes) was ~65k last year.

Now, if you live in LA or SF, it's going to be hard to get by on 50k/year.

If you live elsewhere, where cost of living is much cheaper, 50k/year will have you sorted just fine.

Do things like health insurance get taken out of the wage each month as well?

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on where you live in the US. It's a decent wage in a place like Alabama, but a low wage in California, for example.

It's also a low wage anywhere if you're working potential 60+ hour weeks with little sleep and you're on call 24/7. So, in the case of GX, it's not a good salary, period.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Do things like health insurance get taken out of the wage each month as well?

Typically (and this is in the abstract, varies from company to company) employees will have a few options for health insurance. Some companies offer better plans than others (ex. certain companies may include spouse for free, etc.).

It's not unusual for a company to offer a HMO plan as super cheap or free to the employee (with the company picking up the full tab) and a PPO plan as one that the employee has to contribute $$$ each paycheck to.

If you have a spouse or kids, that is usually an extra $$$ contribution each month.

The employer usually pays the bulk of the monthly premiums.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
What immediately jumped out to me based on these statements is that Andre probably expanded the company too quickly and doesn't know how to manage it effectively. Too many people, not enough money to go around (assuming he isn't taking a huge cut for himself). Nonsense like a non-compete clause shows he is just inserting random things into his contracts based on google searches of "what should be included in an employment contract?" Now, I should point out that such a clause would be pretty much unenforceable if Andre tried to enforce it.

Dec 5, 2017
What immediately jumped out to me based on these statements is that Andre probably expanded the company too quickly and doesn't know how to manage it effectively. Too many people, not enough money to go around (assuming he isn't taking a huge cut for himself). Nonsense like a non-compete clause shows he is just inserting random things into his contracts based on google searches of "what should be included in an employment contract?" Now, I should point out that such a clause would be pretty much unenforceable if Andre tried to enforce it.

Yeah, I'm not defending andre here but everything about this screams "not prepared to be the leader of an organization." Peoples paycheck is their safety, if it's not consistent, you've failed. I always wondered how they had so many employees based off their views/patreon.

Should've never had more than 2 employees, and utilized freelancers/part timers.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Yeah, I'm not defending andre here but everything about this screams "not prepared to be the leader of an organization." Peoples paycheck is their safety, if it's not consistent, you've failed. I always wondered how they had so many employees based off their views/patreon.

Should've never had more than 2 employees, and utilized freelancers/part timers.

The channel made tens of thousands of dollars a month. Income may have been over 400k a year.

Dec 5, 2017
The channel made tens of thousands of dollars a month. Income may have been over 400k a year.

400k in revenue does not translate to everyone getting that money split evenly though. There are taxes, corporation stuff, operating expenses, etc.

if you can't pay full time "salary" folks 60k+ each and healthy insurance, you can't afford to have a full time salary employee.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
400k in revenue does not translate to everyone getting that money split evenly though. There are taxes, corporation stuff, operating expenses, etc.

if you can't pay full time "salary" folks 60k+ each and healthy insurance, you can't afford to have a full time salary employee.

I'm not sure if you read the statements, but they were due to hire another full time employee on top of the old crew before they left.

Dec 5, 2017
I'm not sure if you read the statements, but they were due to hire another full time employee on top of the old crew before they left.

I did, that's why I'm saying this, if you can't pay a salary worker 60k+, health insurance, and operating expenses required for the job (plane tix, hotels, equipment) then you can't afford an employee. At 400k revenue, I can't imagine they could afford more than 3 employees.

Andre seems really unprepared for leadership and handling of money.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did, that's why I'm saying this, if you can't pay a salary worker 60k+, health insurance, and operating expenses required for the job (plane tix, hotels, equipment) then you can't afford an employee. At 400k revenue, I can't imagine they could afford more than 3 employees.

Andre seems really unprepared for leadership and handling of money.

You see someone really unprepared of leadership and handling money.

I see someone exploiting off the labour of other individuals. All these actions comes from greediness not incompetence.

Dec 5, 2017
You see someone really unprepared of leadership and handling money.

I see someone exploiting off the labour of other individuals. All these actions comes from greediness not incompetence.

Not paying people on time isn't greediness. No one is going to "forget" their paycheck, you will never not have to pay it. Is it possible greediness is playing a role? Absolutely. But incompetence is a big driver too.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not paying people on time isn't greediness. No one is going to "forget" their paycheck, you will never not have to pay it. Is it possible greediness is playing a role? Absolutely. But incompetence is a big driver too.
It can be greediness, the idea that it can't be is just silly. It can also be incompetence. It can also be used as a position-of-power tactic, to show your employees you have control over them.

At the end of the day, it honestly doesn't matter what it is. If your employees have to come to you A SINGLE TIME asking for their promised paychecks, you colossally fucked up. If they have to ask you again, you're a genuinely bad person, period. When you control a person's livelihood, incompetence is never a valid excuse or even a valid reason for someone's failures. It just isn't.

Dec 5, 2017
Paying people well below the minimum wage for their work it kinda is, though.

This isn't a defense of the practice: sadly a lot of salary workers in the US are below minimum wage. Including many teachers and doctors (early career: intern/residency). The usa is a cesspool of these situations. I'm sure IGN often does as well. Not forgiving it, it's just not unique when comparing salaries to hours worked.

Dec 5, 2017
It can be greediness, the idea that it can't be is just silly. It can also be incompetence. It can also be used as a position-of-power tactic, to show your employees you have control over them.

At the end of the day, it honestly doesn't matter what it is. If your employees have to come to you A SINGLE TIME asking for their promised paychecks, you colossally fucked up. If they have to ask you again, you're a genuinely bad person, period.

Or you're incompetent. You're assigning intent, I'm simply suggesting he could be an idiot.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a defense of the practice: sadly a lot of salary workers in the US are below minimum wage. Including many teachers and doctors (early career: intern/residency). The usa is a cesspool of these situations. I'm sure IGN often does as well. Not forgiving it, it's just not unique when comparing salaries to hours worked.

Outside of the public sector, which is another different matter, when these situations comes from the private companies all of them comes with one objective: getting more profit.

If you pay 1 or 2 dollars/hour to your worker is not because you don't know how to run a business, if because you want more money for you at the expense of the people that works for you.

Also paying late your employess comes more from a mentality of "I'm legally binded to pay these people" rather than "these people deserves their money for their effort". Sounds to me that if he could had managed to avoid paying people, he would have.

Dec 5, 2017
The "idiot" defense really only works once. Dude clearly has a history of incredible negligence towards his employees. These are incredibly stand-up, decent people who were pretty clearly taken advantage of on a pretty large scale.

Idk I guess I'm placing too much value on the former employees saying they don't want it to be a witch hunt. There is the old saying don't assign malice what could be perfectly explained by ignorance.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Idk I guess I'm placing too much value on the former employees saying they don't want it to be a witch hunt. There is the old saying don't assign malice what could be perfectly explained by ignorance.
The paycheck transfer reminder thing is explainable by ignorance, if just barely so given the repetition. The loyalty slideshow breaks it for me. It's malice or insanity. A mere incompetent manager could have a similar request conveyed in completely down to earth terms.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they haven't posted any videos in 2 days is very interesting...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not do this. Seen a bunch of posts about Microsoft sending out a phone.

This would have been a Galaxy Note 20. Microsoft sent a Galaxy Note 20 + controller out to select media outlets and influencers as a promotional freebie to promote xCloud going live in the US.

No one is going to consider this a "personal gift". Anyone working a corporate job isn't going to accept such a gift. Most companies won't let individuals accept gifts over $50 or $100 for ethical reasons.

If anything, it should have been accepted by the outlet and used for coverage, or returned. Someone just keeping it for personal use isn't the intended point.

Yes, sending out a ~$1200 device for xCloud streaming is overkill. Yes, Microsoft knows that. They do it because they're hoping to influence the person that receives it. The multiple posts saying that it should be a gift for a specific reporter kinda glosses over all of that.
You are right but context matters. Steve was already paid next to nothing. Needed wanted a new phone. Was the one with the contacts and relationships to expand GX from N only to being multiplatform. Already was covering Xbox stuff which would include Gamepass.

It's not a big deal and Steves wife already said he got over it eventually. But it all adds up and pains a certain picture.

Already a rough year because of Corona, dude been killing himself get content up in time see Animal Crossing and the 7 Rename...then you have the option to pay it back in some way, while also making sure he can continue to cover and report on Gamepass/xCloud ...yet this happens.

Dec 5, 2017
The paycheck transfer reminder thing is explainable by ignorance, if just barely so given the repetition. The loyalty slideshow breaks it for me. It's malice or insanity. A mere incompetent manager could have a similar request conveyed in completely down to earth terms.

That's fair, my entire point in starting this dialogue is that when someone is so irresponsible and stupid as to not deliver paychecks on time (and if it must be delayed it must be clearly communicated EARLY), my level of what I "expect" from andre after that knowledge is so low.

Whether or not he's evil or a ghoul would require knowing his heart, but he's clearly incapable of running a business well, and is absolutely not a good leader, and he lacks the social skills needed if he thinks a presentation was the right move.

Or he's a ghoul.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah reading all of this is reminding me an awful lot of the Change the Channel stuff about various Content Creator's falling out with Channel Awesome.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow so GX already lost ~20k subs it looks like. They were at 1.28 and now they're at 1.26. And this news isn't even so widespread that a casual viewer would know. Andre is going to have to make a statement in the coming days.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Wow so GX already lost ~20k subs it looks like. They were at 1.28 and now they're at 1.26. And this news isn't even so widespread that a casual viewer would know. Andre is going to have to make a statement in the coming days.
He won't unless people keep it up. He'll act like it never happened.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He won't unless people keep it up. He'll act like it never happened.
For sure, but he's at the point where he can't just keep coasting if he's losing subscribers since it can eventually be an actual cut to his wallet.

Plus as I mentioned before, their official discord is a mess right now. No one knows what to think with most of the crew going silent.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
they upload like every day

I'm gonna cut them some slack given America just went through a literal coup. I don't know if the new faces do weekend content or not. And hopefully nobody is harassing them, but the comments on their recent video are going all in on this. This isn't isolated anymore.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Now most of you probably don't know I was even involved with GameXplain for as long as I was. That's because Andre made little to no effort to give me credit of any kind. The most blatant instance was when he asked me to edit the Super Mario 3D All Stars review.

I worked the entirety of the night up until 45 minutes before the embargo to get that video done. Andre's Twitter made it sound like he worked through the night when it was me. He didn't finish writing his review until that evening putting me into a corner and allowing him to coast through that night while I worked. I was furious. At this point I decided I was going to walk away. I was making no strides in my career because nobody knew I was doing the work. Steve thankfully would edit Andre's descriptions and add credits for me or tag me on Twitter himself.

Holy shit. Here's one of the tweets mentioned....

I don't really see what Andre could say or do at this point to redeem any of my interest in supporting GX, said as a 9 year long fan. Yes, there may be truth to his tweet and the work of a review goes beyond editing it, but to not celebrate your team at all for their hard work, let alone even mention them? This is truly disgusting behavior, especially coming from someone who is (admirably) outspoken politically both personally and as the owner of his company.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Here's one of the tweets mentioned....

I don't really see what Andre could say or do at this point to redeem any of my interest in supporting GX, said as a 9 year long fan. Yes, there may be truth to his tweet and the work of a review goes beyond editing it, but to not celebrate your team at all for their hard work, let alone even mention them? This is truly disgusting behavior, especially coming from someone who is (admirably) outspoken politically both personally and as the owner of his company.

Yeah, that's really disgusting. It's actively infuriating tbh

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Well fuck this shit. And here I thought the forced laughter was the worst part of GameXplain.

I hope these stories manage to reach the majority of the GameXplain viewers and subscribers, 'cause this shouldn't get to be swept under the rug.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
For sure, but he's at the point where he can't just keep coasting if he's losing subscribers since it can eventually be an actual cut to his wallet.

Plus as I mentioned before, their official discord is a mess right now. No one knows what to think with most of the crew going silent.

You mentioned he lost 20k which isn't a lot, under 2%. He's doing these practices to help his wallet so we'll have to see. I don't think the majority of people will honestly care about the issues though which is the standard in these industries.

Ash's Statement

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Hey everyone, here's my statement. I want nothing more than for us all to be able to put this situation behind us and focus on the future, so I appreciate your understanding in advance that I won't be engaging in dialogue here about the situation. I don't take the slightest bit of pleasure in any of this and just want us and GX to be able to move forward separately but amicably. Thanks, everyone.

---

I've been hesitant to speak up because the GVG brand means so much to me and I don't want us as individuals and/or our channel to be mired in internet drama, but Steve and Derrick have already (rightly) commented on the situation as it pertains to them and I recognize that things have reached a point that I would be remiss if I didn't speak up as well.

First off, though, I would like to remind everyone that the new GX crew of Tris, Joey, and Chris – not to mention my dear friend Tom, who remains with the channel – have nothing to do with any of this and they deserve the same love and attention you all have graciously shown us over the years. I and we are categorically not asking anyone to boycott GX or pull support from their Patreon, and it is our genuine hope that the channel continues to flourish with its new crew. Also, I STRONGLY ask that you do not harass or otherwise send Andre abusive messages. Regardless of my and our grievances with him, Derrick, Steve, and I condemn in the harshest possible terms any and all harassment and abuse directed at Andre and we do NOT want this to be a witch hunt. I didn't want this to blow up at all, let alone the way it has, and I feel sick as I write this because I hate the thought of anyone at GX continuing to suffer over this situation and I just want us all to move on. Nonetheless, here we go.

Those of you who are longtime GX fans likely noticed that I started becoming less visible on and doing less work for the channel as the years wore on. The reasons for that have been widely speculated, but some folks connected the dots thanks to my occasional statements here and there that GX "didn't pay the bills." That's the long and short of it: pay was so low and inconsistent for so long relative to what the channel made (recall what Derrick and Steve have said about us being able to see the metrics while we were there) that I eventually stopped being able to justify all the work, time, and energy I put into the channel when I was getting so comparatively little compensation in return. There were no set, reliable content rates for freelancers (which – by my own choice – was what my relationship to the channel was considered to be for most of my time there even though I was a core staff member) despite my asking for set rates to be established many times, and Andre made it clear it was on me to invoice him for what I thought my work was worth and, essentially, come up with my own rates for him to approve or not.

Still, though, as poor and ultimately untenable as this relationship to the channel was as a freelancer, it was a million, billion times better – based on what I witnessed every day – than being one of its "full-time" employees and I was happy and relieved to mostly be able to maintain my own distance from GX in that respect. Let me be crystal clear about this: GX as you knew it and have known it simply would not exist, full stop, if not for Derrick and Jon. I will always give Andre all the credit in the world for creating GX and building it up the way he did, but over the years Derrick and later Jon did the absolute lion's share (and then some) of the actual work in maintaining the channel and putting out daily content – content they and we had little to no creative control over, might I add. Particularly later on, Andre gave the content orders, and we (mostly they) just carried them out. There was very little room for negotiation or compromise and, especially in the latter part of our time there, Andre maintained a very authoritarian, top-down staff structure with him as the sole decision-maker except in very rare circumstances.

The utterly mind-boggling number of work hours Derrick and Jon were expected to put in relative to their pay (especially in Jon's case) and at the expense of their quality of life was just… I've never seen anything like it, and I hope I never do again. Ultimately we were all utterly taken for granted and exploited – as Steve would also be when he joined later on – but none more so than Derrick and Jon, and even thinking about the backbreaking work they put into the channel pretty much every single day for comparatively microscopic recompense and basically zero credit fills me with an anger I can't describe. Without them, GX either would not exist today or would be far, *far* less successful than it has become, period, end of story. Accusations that any of us, but especially them, were work-averse or suffering from the "good problem" of too much work are patently false, unfounded, and ill-informed.

Now, it has been asked whether or not we requested better pay and/or working conditions before we left. Let me assure you beyond a shadow of any doubt that we did — more than once. I'm reminded, in particular, of a GX "team" (that's in quotes because by then, Andre had begun making it clear there was now an authoritarian split between him and the rest of us) meeting Derrick, Jon, and I called for while I was vacationing with my wife. I remember this meeting so clearly because I still, all these months and ultimately years later, really cannot believe Andre pushed back on and refused the arguably humble concessions we were asking for at the time. (For context, this was before Steve — whose accounts and grievances I totally back up, might I add — fully joined the team.)

So the three of us called for a meeting with Andre to ask that a couple things be formalized going forward, namely 1) on-time pay each month dictated by a Google Calendar reminder for Andre, because (as has been well documented by now) we very frequently had to chase down our pay by repeatedly reminding and almost begging Andre to just please remember to pay us for work that had already been done, and 2) a travel budget being set aside so we wouldn't incur personal debt flying to and working shows we were expected to cover, such as E3, PAX West, and PAX East. (In the interest of full disclosure and clarity, the E3 bit doesn't apply to me as I live in Los Angeles.)

His responses? For the first point, he outright refused to commit to a hard-locked payment date each month and suggested that it was unfair of us to hold him to such an expectation, as we had always gotten paid as long as we reminded him, so why wasn't that good enough? He did say he would try to do better going forward – and to his credit, for me at least he eventually mostly did – but he seemed almost offended that we would even think to demand such an "outrageous" (quotes are mine, not Andre's) thing as reliably on-time pay. As to the second point, his response to us was that we're technically "independent contractors" and thus not entitled to work-related travel being covered or compensated, so in a word: no, not happening.

Now, to be fair, he wasn't wrong in a legal sense: none of us had signed any sort of employment contract (thankfully, I would eventually come to realize) ratifying such terms and, as such, we were not legally entitled to any sort of travel coverage from Andre or the channel. In a moral sense, though? Considering how tirelessly we (especially Derrick and Jon) worked for the channel and how key we were to its growth and whole brand? Yeah… The end of that meeting was the first time I distinctly remember feeling deeply angry and resentful and thinking the writing was on the wall. And that was years before we finally left.

All this said, I don't want to make it seem like Andre never paid for or covered anything. While it was not usually offered outright, he would eventually reimburse me for most of my GX-related flights and all transit/rideshare/onsite food expenses as long as I did 100% of the legwork in invoicing everything and reminding him to pay me. He also paid for many post-show and post-event dinners and bar tabs, and he never pushed back on any of the invoices I sent him and almost never tried to lowball me any further than I was already lowballing myself. It's important to me that I highlight those exceptions where they exist, because it wasn't all bad and I'm not trying to claim it was.

I also want to remind folks that the kind of crunch conditions Andre has been accused of engendering at GX are not entirely his fault, and it was never our intention to imply they were during the GVG discussion this topic came up in; these crunch problems are, in many respects, endemic to game journalism/YouTube and, indeed, the game industry at large. Andre does bear some of the blame in that he rarely if ever put our mental and physical well-being above the non-negotiable mandate of getting news updates up immediately and having every single preview and review ready to go live the moment an embargo dropped, but he has no control over the time developers allow for review and preview periods. It was Square Enix's fault Steve had two days to fully play and write + produce a review of Final Fantasy VII Remake before release, not Andre's. It was Capcom's fault I had five or so days to fully play and write + produce a review of both Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 and 2 before release, not Andre's. But neither was there ever any effort on Andre's part that I can recall to question or soften the expectation that our content had to be ready right at embargo time, regardless of any extenuating circumstances.

In closing, there's one thing I can say with absolute certainty: Had it been tenable, I know without a doubt that all of us at GVG and, I think (though I won't speak for him), Jon would absolutely have been happy to stay at GX and reap the benefits of its continuing success together with Andre, as a team. We're incredibly proud of what we helped build on Andre's excellent foundation, and my first several years at GX – when, despite any problems I had with being underpaid, our team dynamic was more collaborative and "a bunch of friends covering games together" rather than the authoritarian "a boss and his underlings" setup it morphed into later on – remain some of the best of my career and, really, my life. Of course we would've loved to stay under better, fairer circumstances. But at the end of the day, GX fully belongs to Andre, it's his baby, and he just chose to run things in a way that sharply diverged from our needs and wants for too long. I want to express very clearly, though, that I was, still am, and will remain absolutely fucking heartbroken over the way things turned out because I think we, together, could've taken the channel to incredible new heights and reaped the benefits, together. In fact, I'm damn near certain we could've and maybe in an alternate universe, we did! But sadly that just wasn't in the cards for us, and we had to take a chance and move on.

Which, as you now know, we did – to Good Vibes Gaming! To those of you who have followed us to GVG and supported our new venture in any way, whether you have from the beginning or only are now in light of all of this, it can never be said enough: thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you for caring about the people behind the content you've loved over the years, and please rest assured that Steve, Derrick, and I are all much happier and healthier at GVG than ever before even as we remain hopeful that GX continues to be successful under the stewardship of its new team. Onward and upward!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You mentioned he lost 20k which isn't a lot, under 2%. He's doing these practices to help his wallet so we'll have to see. I don't think the majority of people will honestly care about the issues though which is the standard in these industries.
I also mentioned that this isn't a widespread controversy just yet, and most of the statements aren't even 24 hours old. Once time progresses and social media and other places start making this more widespread that number will continue to grow. Those losses were in a matter of hours and before larger channels/outlets picked this news up. And regardless of how far it goes, randomly losing tens of thousands of subscribers and dozens of patrons isn't something that's feasible to ignore perpetually. People will catch on.