• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I think the best thing would be Andre stepping out of Gamexplain. Now the new crew also gets shit upon and they dont deserve that afaik.

The second statement of Andre was a big meh.

Hope the new crew doesn't get too much shit and stress. Same goes for the old one. Hope they are doing fine.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the best thing would be Andre stepping out of Gamexplain. Now the new crew also gets shit upon and they dont deserve that afaik.

The second statement of Andre was a big meh.

Hope the new crew doesn't get too much shit and stress. Same goes for the old one. Hope they are doing fine.
He's not going to "step out" of GameXplain, he IS GameXplain. From everything I've gathered, it's a sole proprietorship entirely under his control. Honestly, I think now that everyone has made their statement, things are just going to kind of move on, with better conditions for the new guys, and probably a big mark against GX's reputation, but still everyone will just put it behind them.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Second still not perfect, but at least he goes into some detail, and adresses some of the points.
Late pay not excusable: check
to little compensation: check
unreasonable deadlines: check

he mentions that he has worked on improving on those, now its on the current team to keep him to his words,
and hope that it changed.

If in the end this was there to remind him of some aspects, get him into place, and improve the working conditions of the current team, then it was worth it, and could lead to 2 healthy channels that maybe have regular cooperations. (GVG & new GX)

But thats to be seen. Its partially on the current team to hold him to his words, since they are the only
ones that have insight if he keeps the promisses.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The story, honestly, could be a hell of a lot worse. I had a boss take his own life after the nonprofit he ran fell into financial difficulties and he fell behind on invoices and started falsifying reports, and ... God, it was a really ugly story. He left behind a wife and four kids. He was undoubtedly in the wrong, and some of the shit he did was considerably more ethically and legally questionable than anything Andre has been accused of, but he was afraid of the personal humiliation and bad press that would accompany his mistakes coming to light, and ... Christ, situations like this really, honestly scare me. I've been critical of GX in my past posts on this thread and elsewhere, but ... losing track of the humanity of the person who screwed up can have real, horrifying consequences too.

First off, this must have been a horrifying experience to live through and I'm very sorry you had to. I hope you've been able to process and move on from it in a healthy way.

That said, thank you for sharing this experience and I want to make sure other people here see it. This is the perfect encapsulation of why I don't want this situation to keep being dragged out and made any uglier than it already is.

Yes, we were all wronged and that probably won't ever be fully addressed or rectified. That's a painful thought to live with and it's not right, no doubt about it, and we all deserved a lot better. But I still wouldn't wish an internet hate mob (not saying you all here on Era are guilty of being that) on my worst enemy, and despite our many and well-documented grievances with him, I've been through a lot with Andre and there are positive memories of us that I treasure despite how everything sadly turned out. I couldn't bear it if all the vitriol he's being subjected to eventually drove him to hurt himself or worse. It just doesn't bear thinking about, and that's one reason why I and we have endeavored from the onset to condemn any abusive behavior and harassment toward Andre over this. (Again, not that I'm accusing anyone here of engaging in such behavior.)

What happened to us at GX isn't okay or defensible and frankly it won't ever be, but it is done; there's no changing it, no erasing it, and no going back from it, so it's better we all focus on the future for the sake of everyone involved and move on as best we can from the past. If all this has in any way helped ensure GX's new crew is treated more fairly, equally, and honestly than we were, then at least some good came out of it and I'm thankful for that.

Thank you for respecting our wishes and for your incredibly gracious and earnest support of GVG in light of this situation. Good vibes, everyone. 💗

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
First off, this must have been a horrifying experience to live through and I'm very sorry you had to. I hope you've been able to process and move on from it in a healthy way.

That said, thank you for sharing this experience and I want to make sure other people here see it. This is the perfect encapsulation of why I don't want this situation to keep being dragged out and made any uglier than it already is.

Yes, we were all wronged and that probably won't ever be fully addressed or rectified. That's a painful thought to live with and it's not right, no doubt about it, and we all deserved a lot better. But I still wouldn't wish an internet hate mob (not saying you all here on Era are guilty of being that) on my worst enemy, and despite our many and well-documented grievances with him, I've been through a lot with Andre and there are positive memories of us that I treasure despite how everything sadly turned out. I couldn't bear it if all the vitriol he's being subjected to eventually drove him to hurt himself or worse. It just doesn't bear thinking about, and that's one reason why I and we have endeavored from the onset to condemn any abusive behavior and harassment toward Andre over this. (Again, not that I'm accusing anyone here of engaging in such behavior.)

What happened to us at GX isn't okay or defensible and frankly it won't ever be, but it is done; there's no changing it, no erasing it, and no going back from it, so it's better we all focus on the future for the sake of everyone involved and move on as best we can from the past. If all this has in any way helped ensure GX's new crew is treated more fairly, equally, and honestly than we were, then at least some good came out of it and I'm thankful for that.

Thank you for respecting our wishes and for your incredibly gracious and earnest support of GVG in light of this situation. Good vibes, everyone. 💗
Amen.
There are situations where lingering on something does more harm than it helps, and this seems like one of those.
Not saying everything should be forgotten, but for now we can only sit and watch if he stands behind his words that he will improve.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Andre. I hate shitty bosses. I've had a few. He needs to give them back pay. I've been with GX since the beginning but now I'm going to subscribe to GVG.

Ash and Derrick, have you both spoken to a lawyer? Just you explore your options.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I used to follow GX a lot back in the Wii U era, but felt most of their content gradually shifted away from my interest. With the exception of Brainchilds fantastic tech vids!

Still, even as a churned viewer, it's very saddening to hear how poorly the staff was treated. I'll definitely check out Good Vibes Gaming, and wish the affected people the best in their current and future endeavours!

I always had a feeling GX outgrew themselves for the worse, and it seems there may be some truth to that. Still being ran as a small hobby outfit, when they'd become a larger business.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Andre. I hate shitty bosses. I've had a few. He needs to give them back pay. I've been with GX since the beginning but now I'm going to subscribe to GVG.

Ash and Derrick, have you both spoken to a lawyer? Just you explore your options.
Ash posted above and he wants to move on. Based on all their previous statements it's quite clear they don't want to make this into a big ordeal, especially not any bigger than it already is. Which is both admirable and understandable.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I don't ever want to be famous

Everything you do or say gets scrutinized, and you get the whole internet gang up on you
I mean, generally when people in charge of a company do things wrong or bad to their employees/coworkers, that is different to "famous people being scrutinized".
Because this is not a party.
Late to the party is an expression, literally just meaning being late to something at all.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Ash posted above and he wants to move on. Based on all their previous statements it's quite clear they don't want to make this into a big ordeal, especially not any bigger than it already is. Which is both admirable and understandable.

Maybe thread should be closed for further replies considering the story is pretty much exhausted at this point and all parties simply want to move on

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe thread should be closed for further replies considering the story is pretty much exhausted at this point and all parties simply want to move on
(Most of)Era has not really been the problem here, there has not really been any harassment, mostly concern. If anything, this thread should stay up to help continue to spread the word. The most that we want is better working conditions for those at GX, and to spread the word of GVG/Nintendo LIfe. And it has been working. There are still people not aware, and I still think it is our responsibility for those to be aware of the situation(and then make a decision based off of that).

TLDR: Yes we have pretty much run through the entire story, and it is done. We should keep this thread here for those who have not had a chance to get this information yet, and to spread positive words and support for the current crew at GVG. We owe all parties involved that much.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
(Most of)Era has not really been the problem here, there has not really been any harassment, mostly concern. If anything, this thread should stay up to help continue to spread the word. The most that we want is better working conditions for those at GX, and to spread the word of GVG/Nintendo LIfe. And it has been working. There are still people not aware, and I still think it is our responsibility for those to be aware of the situation(and then make a decision based off of that).

TLDR: Yes we have pretty much run through the entire story, and it is done. We should keep this thread here for those who have not had a chance to get this information yet, and to spread positive words and support for the current crew at GVG. We owe all parties involved that much.
Does the thread need to remain open in order to "spread the word"? Everything that could have been said has been said, and more.

All parties involved just want to move on. Make your statement with your wallet (subscribe button) and respect GVG.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe Ash should be the one who decides if a mod wants to PM him

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
For those of you that are surprised by Andre's behavior, remember that you never really knew what he was like. All you saw was a person that spoke about video games. How can you tell from that, that he was a good person?

I did feel uncomfortable about the way he had disagreements with other people when their opinions differed. I remember he once had to apologize for it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The views and dislikes and comments are all getting worse every new video at this point, so it seems like the point of no return anyway.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018

Thanks for the kind words. It was a terrible experience, yes, but I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to get therapy and I'm in a much better place now. It's his wife and (especially) his kids who my heart goes out to though. I can't even imagine the hell they've been through.

I agree with what you're saying here, but wonder if this could be better accomplished with a thread dedicated to discussion of the GVG channel. Maybe there could be a little bit about the struggles at GX in the OP, but conversation could be limited to positive discussion of their content (that would fit the "good vibes" theme, no?). That might be a good way to shift this topic towards something uplifting and productive.

Could do the same with Nintendo Life too, I guess, but I don't think they need help raising their profile. (NL is probably my absolute favorite gaming youtube channel at the moment, but they've got over half a million subscribers, so I don't think there's any concern about whether Jon will land on his feet.)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. It was a terrible experience, yes, but I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to get therapy and I'm in a much better place now. It's his wife and (especially) his kids who my heart goes out to though. I can't even imagine the hell they've been through.

I agree with what you're saying here, but wonder if this could be better accomplished with a thread dedicated to discussion of the GVG channel. Maybe there could be a little bit about the struggles at GX in the OP, but conversation could be limited to positive discussion of their content (that would fit the "good vibes" theme, no?). That might be a good way to shift this topic towards something uplifting and productive.

Could do the same with Nintendo Life too, I guess, but I don't think they need help raising their profile. (NL is probably my absolute favorite gaming youtube channel at the moment, but they've got over half a million subscribers, so I don't think there's any concern about whether Jon will land on his feet.)
There is a GVG thread, but almost no posts in it right now.

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Has anyone posted Andres longer, more reflective response yet?

Nevermind. I found it. It should be threadmarked for those following.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
He probably should seek another avenue of making money. He's likely gonna get dragged through the mud for a while now.

And what about the current GX crew? This whole thing would be counterproductive (to put it gently) if they end up unemployed.

There is a GVG thread, but almost no posts in it right now.

That sucks. I wonder if the mods would be willing to pin it for a few weeks or something as a way to get more eyes on it and help something positive come from all of this.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe Ash should be the one who decides if a mod wants to PM him
I am completely down for that.

I also think its important to understand that Derrick, Ash, and Steve were not the only ones affected by this though.
From the Reddit Community who got their community locked, to other "independent contractors" like Brainchild. Everyone likely has an idea going forward on how to move on. But getting
Does the thread need to remain open in order to "spread the word"? Everything that could have been said has been said, and more.

All parties involved just want to move on. Make your statement with your wallet (subscribe button) and respect GVG.
I am going to quote my previous post here.
There is a huge problem here, in that several things are either unaddressed, or completely set to the side.

1. People literally working for GX for months, and not being paid a cent for it. There is also no mention of backpay for those that worked with the channel. This is still a big fucking deal, even more so than the $1-2 per hour.

2. The $1-2 per hour being a complete "surprise". In the month of April, Steve reviewed a 40 hour game for work, appeared in 4 podcasts, and did several discussions, and tons of news segments. Andre literally knew what he was doing. Andre would literally coax Steve to working for GX on his lunch breaks.

3. The phone thing, like seriously what the fuck.

4. The way he handled this with his community. Shutting down a whole community, goading his staff and "contractors" to make up good statements for him.

Overall, I don't think there will be any more information. Or any further apologies so it's probably best to move on.

Subscribe to Good Vibes Gaming and Nintendo Life. Thats where all of the talent of GX left to. I don't think without any more news, that Andre is worth our time or our mindshare. There are much better people, and channels to be thinking about now than GX. So yeah. Peace.
I think I am completely done with this situation, and I think the best outcome is to move on. I just think (personally) that locking this thread is a little unnecessary. This thread will naturally die soon anyway, as people move on to bigger and better things.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
My favorite meme from this. This is about the first statement I realise there is a second one now but the video is still funny.

Last edited:

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I think I am completely done with this situation, and I think the best outcome is to move on. I just think (personally) that locking this thread is a little unnecessary. This thread will naturally die soon anyway, as people move on to bigger and better things.

Good point. Think this will be my last post here as well.

As one last aside, I think I said this before, but the rapport between the new Jon-inclusive Nintendo Life crew is so good. I'm constantly cracking up at the (sometimes awkward) banter in their discussion videos.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks a lot Ash. It's important to recognize that while there was harm done, us strangers on the internet need to be respectful for the people involved. Sometimes moving on is the best thing to do.

I recommend everyone to start following the Good Vibes Gaming OT! It's not too busy right now but hopefully we can get some Good Vibes going!

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Honestly, I still feel like people (not necessarily here) aren't respecting Ash and Steve's wishes.

GVG, GX and now NintendoLife videos are all flooded with YouTube comments making fun of Ash/Steve/Derrick, cussing out Andre or making fun of the current GX staffers for being paid so little. Again, Tris's videos were already getting awful transphobic bullshit but now they're also getting peppered with "lol did you get paid $1 or $2 for this?". I recognize that there's no controlling YouTube but it's clear to me that Steve, Ash and Derrick making a passing comment about their wives wanting them to leave wasn't designed to lead to this.

Ash, I hope you're getting more sleep these days, you've avoided the topic (understandably) on GVG but it's clear that it's been hell on you. I hope Jon is ok- he's such a sweet guy and he has been such a class act, I hope Steve is ok, I know he has a very supportive family. I hope Derrick is well, I hope the new kids at GX aren't getting any more shrapnel and I genuinely hope that Andre is safe and uses this experience to grow and better himself.

The way Andre treated the crew at GX isn't ok but I really hope he means what he says in his new statement and I hope everyone comes out of this better for it.

Y'all deserve the good vibes.

Last edited:

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Agreed that there's not much productive left to be said here. I'm glad his second response was more genuine, but was disappointed by it otherwise. Of course going through this scrutiny is hard and I'm not trying to take that away from him, but he hand-waived away some of the more serious allegations while instead focusing on how hurt he is. Plus, he claims to have wanted to "handle things privately" yet makes no mention of messaging people asking them to put out positive impressions of him, shutting down the subreddit, so on... I wish the new GX crew the best and hope he has really learned from this all, even if he has failed to demonstrate it thus far.

For those of you that are surprised by Andre's behavior, remember that you never really knew what he was like. All you saw was a person that spoke about video games. How can you tell from that, that he was a good person?

I did feel uncomfortable about the way he had disagreements with other people when their opinions differed. I remember he once had to apologize for it.
To be fair, he was very outspoken politically as well which has been brought up by many as reason for being caught so off guard. His treatment of his employees stands in strong contrast to the political values he portrayed. That said, I agree that his argumentative nature in discussions made me uncomfortable on numerous occasions over the years of watching.

Good point. Think this will be my last post here as well.

As one last aside, I think I said this before, but the rapport between the new Jon-inclusive Nintendo Life crew is so good. I'm constantly cracking up at the (sometimes awkward) banter in their discussion videos.
He really does fit in quite perfectly there!

Last edited:

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameXPlain...plain_has_censored_the_word_andre_from_their/

GameXplain apparently made the world "Andre" automatically show up as spam in their comments section

jn4qjb8olqg31.jpg

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
To be fair, he was very outspoken politically as well which has been brought up by many as reason for being caught so off guard. His treatment of his employees stands in strong contrast to the political values he portrayed.

You are right. But people forget that being a hypocrite is sometimes profitable. Either he never really believed in those things or he decided it didn't apply to his situation. A hypocrite either way.

I personally never allow someone's superficial political affiliation to give me a positive impression. You need to know more about a them before making a judgement.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I also think its important to understand that Derrick, Ash, and Steve were not the only ones affected by this though.
From the Reddit Community who got their community locked, to other "independent contractors" like Brainchild. Everyone likely has an idea going forward on how to move on.

This is definitely true. However, I fully support MaverickHunterAsh 's (and other GVG members') feelings on the matter, so out of respect and consideration for my friends' wishes, I will not be making a public statement in response to André's "apology". To be clear, I haven't been asked to refrain from commenting by anyone, but I don't want to give the internet mob any more ammunition than they already have. Thank you all for understanding.

Also, I really appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread. Many posts here have been right in sync with my own feelings on the matter so I'm glad the community was able to have this discussion.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
They mean the YouTube comment section; the word "Andre" is filtered now.
Referring to the YT channel, I think?
I'm stupid.

Didn't Jon and Derrick do most of the Patreon stuff? I wasn't a patron but Derrick pretty much ran the podcast and I believe Jon did quite a bit of Patreon exclusive videos.

Yeah Derrick was the host for I wanna say 80% or 90% of the time. Jon also did some exclusive content on Patreon.

Not to mention Game Club which they all participated in.