• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...gers-a-third-person-co-opetition-shooter.aspx

Despite being a new studio, Midwinter Entertainment knows a thing or two about making multiplayer games. Staffed with former 343 Industries talent and veterans who have worked on the likes of Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Halo, the studio leadership has been experimenting with how players interact and compete with each other for years. Most notably, as one of the architects behind Halo 5's Warzone mode, Josh Holmes is no stranger to mixing up player-on-player action with objectives that can let anyone contribute to their team. With its first game, Scavengers, Midwinter and Holmes hope to further blur the line between cooperation and competition.

Speaking with me at Midwinter's office located in Kirkland, Washington, Holmes bills Scavengers as a third-person "survival shooter co-opetition," set in a near-future apocalypse in which a massive asteroid collides with the moon, shattering it and causing a new ice age. Years after the collision, you take control one of eight teenagers (across four classes, each with a male and female character to match), left to forage for weapons and resources.

Announcement1.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

There is a lot more at the link above including screenshots and an announcement video.

I loved what Josh Holmes did with the MP in Halo 5 so I'll be keeping a really close eye on this one.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Please stop trying to create buzz words by mashing two words together.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Scourge is a mysterious, parasitic disease ravaging the planet, ripping apart docile wildlife and turning it into horrifying, undead monsters.

Flood never dies.

PC first is surprising. Guess don't bite off more than you can chew.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I wish The Scavengers was a Marvel short where all the heroes are chilling and listening to Ghost Town by the Specials

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Oh shit, I didn't know Holmes left 343i (haven't really been keeping up since being disappointed with Halo 5's campaign). Hope this goes well for them, especially since I'm digging the art style from the concepts.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
These people are trying a little too hard.

"You have to be crrAAzzZyy to make video games"

"making games is really hard"

"Co-opertition shooter!"

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
That gave me very Halo-Destiny vibes, if you were to ask 343 to make a Destiny like.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wish this would be a PvE Coop game only without PvP :/

Basicly sounds like the game Crytek is currently doing. Hunt or whatever its called

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the title, came in here to find out whether that meant Halo 1-3 or Halo 4-5.

It's Halo 4-5. Interest is on hold until gameplay reveal, I guess. From the guy who brought you Halo 4 is not a particularly exciting selling point. Premise sounds cool, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Mildly curious.

Between Halo 5 not quite being what I wanted and Destiny being... Destiny, hope they get to make something cool. The ViDoc was alright, though would've been better with a snippet of gameplay. Also, less "making games are hard" bits next time.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an interesting concept that is pretty far away with a small team, shall see what pops up a year or so down the line.

That video seems to be aimed and investors rather than players though.

Pepin

Oct 27, 2017
London
Josh Holmes, no buy.

I respectfully disagree - I think maybe having the freedom of being away from 343, the idea of 'legacy' and all that is really going to unshackle him.

343 was pushing against a mold and I think it dampened the end result to a large degree with Halo 4/5.

Keen to see where this goes. Hoping for hands-on at E3.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Wish this would be a PvE Coop game only without PvP :/

Basicly sounds like the game Crytek is currently doing. Hunt or whatever its called

yeah, got division (darkzone) mixed with hunt vibes when they described the game. Which is okay, just I'd be more interested in pve only... but obviously, still super interested and look forward to more info.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was interested untill i seen Josh Holmes name attached. I wish them all the luck but his input to Halo really left a sour taste in my mouth.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this will be timed or full exclusive to Xbox. Even though they say PC is the focus platform.

There's just a vibe the game gives off from how they talk about it.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I like the SpatialOS slide.... as if other companies are running everything on one server nowadays ;)

Anyway... I like the vibe of the game. Pity there is no gameplay yet.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So much talking and yet they told us nothing. Two minutes of game would do much better job than this dev talk (for n announcement trailer).

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like we are years out from even a beta. Sounds at least interesting in concept.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I know it doesn't tell us anything about the game itself, but I like the Concept Art. I could look at Concept Art like this all day. lol

Don't know what to think about the game yet, though. They didn't show much and the information in the article is also pretty scarce. Lets see where this will go.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Shit. I was so hyped due to the environments and "third-person" shooter, but then... "co-opetition?" Tsk. Gimme a third-person shooter game set in this environment without the need to interact with any other player, be it cooperatively or competitively, instead please. I'll still keep an eye out for this, though, I suppose...

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds interesting, good to see there are companies using "the power of the cloud" to create things that weren't possible before.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Cooperative, competitive, 3rd person, winter, disease etc. Destiny/Division combo? If it were first person i'd be all over it. Will give a casual play mostly likely with it only being 3rd person.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
co-opertition is the metroidvania of word mashups

how they're describing the game feels like what i expected destiny 1 to be