• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Terranigma's art designer Kamui Fujiwara got quite active on Twitter earlier this year and got to even upload a compressed file with unseen concept art (covered in this thread back then).

Then, a few weeks ago he started uploading new illustrations depicting key scenes in the game in order to commemorate the game's 25th anniversary. Here's a sample, you can check the rest in his twitter feed.

But the piece of news that encouraged me to open this thread is that Japanese fans, backed by with Kamui Fujiwara himself and former composer Miyoko Takaoka, opened a Change.org petition to convince Square-Enix to rerelease in some form.

Link to the petition (in Japanese, may not work properly on some browsers).

And the plea in the petition (translated into English using DeepL):

I want to revive my favorite TV game of over 25 years, "Terranigma" (formerly Enix/Quintet), by distributing it as an archive!

Mr. Kamui Fujiwara, who worked on the art and character design of Terranigma, and Ms. Miyoko Kobayashi, who created many of the divine songs, are cooperating in this project. Let me tell you a little bit about why I, as a fan of the game, decided to join hands with Kamui Fujiwara and Miyoko Kobayashi.

"Terranigma" was released on October 20, 1995 by the former Enix Corporation (produced by Quintet Co., Ltd.), with a magnificent story based on "Genesis", an overwhelming world view created by Kamui Fujiwara, the art and character designer, and sound creators Miyoko Kobayashi and Masanori Hikiji. The many divine songs created by sound creators Miyoko Kobayashi and Masanori Hikiji further colored the world view and captivated many players. Even now, people are eagerly waiting for ports and remakes.

I am one of those people who were fascinated by "Terranigma". While many masterpieces called "retro games" that have been on the market for more than 20 years are being ported or remade one after another, all the users who have played "Terranigma" say that it is strange that the title, which was praised as a "divine game" and a "super masterpiece", has not been ported or remade for a long time. It's just not right. It is difficult to play on the current Super Nintendo Entertainment System (software is not available, the backup function of the game software is weakened, and saved data is easily lost, etc.). I am afraid that it will be a great loss for Japan's game cultural assets if it is not passed on to future generations. This is because "Terranigma" is a work that taught me many important and precious things to live by.

I have been holding an event called "Hero Resurrection Festival" on Twitter (Twitter) (HP) every year on October 20 since the 20th anniversary of the release of "Terranigma" with the faint hope that it might reach the production side if we raise excitement about it. The content of the event is to have fans connect with each other and tweet their thoughts on Terranigma and memories of playing the game with hashtags. And for the 20th anniversary, we collaborated with Miyoko Kobayashi and released the "Creation 20th Anniversary Video". And last year, for the 25th anniversary, we collaborated with Miyoko Kobayashi for the first time in five years and released the "25th Anniversary of Terranigma" video. After watching this video, Kamui Fujiwara stood up and generously showed the original setting pictures and high-resolution remade key visuals of "Terranigma" on Twitter, which excited the fans on Twitter. At that time, Miyoko Kobayashi and Kamui Fujiwara contacted me personally, and they drew me in, inspiring me to do what I could for the true revival of "The Creation". Miyoko Kobayashi started to compose a new song to accompany the picture. I, kisato, am playing a role to support their activities and get the fans excited.

I would like to see the game ported and remade, but first I would like to see it archived.

If we can achieve that, and if we can produce "results", then there may be a next step. The first thing you can do for the revival of the game is to participate in the signature campaign. And for those of you who loved "Terranigma" and don't know about this call, can you please help us? Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I was not aware of the following the game had in Japan, so I didn't imagine it had whole fests and conventions around it. Overall this is shaping to be the most promising thing that has happened to the game in a long time, and while I'm not optimistic Square-Enix will do anything, at least it will raise awareness about the game and invite more people to play it. Whether you have experienced Terranigma before or want to aid in its preservation efforts, please sign the petition! The dream would be a collection with the other pair of the "Soul Blazer Trilogy", Soul Blazer and Illusion of Time.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Terranigma is still probably my most favourite SNES game. Let's hope that SE will do something with Terranigma.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
The entire Soul Blazer trilogy + Actraiser should really get a re-release on modern consoles. They were truly unique games.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Now there's a game I want to see on NSO. Would also pay good money for a re-release or a Quintet collection. Hell, they could just crowdfund the thing.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SE: What's that? Mobile ports with completely redone art you say? You got it!

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
That would be so amazing. What are the chances of Square Enix actually doing this?

OP
OP

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
This was posted back in April but has become relevant again.

Regarding rights, I may have read somewhere that Nintendo may actually have distribution rights for Illusion of Time/Gaia and Terranigma in the US and Europe, so maybe there may be a slight chance of seeing them in the NSO. Maybe we should start tagging Nintendo of America, Japan and Europe in the twits to make them notice?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This was posted back in April but has become relevant again.

Regarding rights, I may have read somewhere that Nintendo may actually have distribution rights for Illusion of Time/Gaia and Terranigma in the US and Europe, so maybe there may be a slight chance of seeing them in the NSO. Maybe we should start tagging Nintendo of America, Japan and Europe in the twits to make them notice?

Looking at what they've been releasing on NSO this month, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to have some heavyweight games released if square want to.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
This is a divine game alright. It's not perfect (battle system is only adequate), but it's got so much soul.
A Quintet collection or some new kickstarter with the original devs is something I would totally get behind.

Oct 27, 2017
What? Yes please. I didn't expect to read Terranigma related news in 2021 so felt quite shocked after reading the title, even if it's just a barebones re-release, more people need to experience Terranigma.

Bongodaddy

Oct 27, 2017
I did not expect to see anything Terranigma related in 2021. Petition signed! Would love to see a re-release, with or without any extra bells and whistles.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Hadn't known that Terranigma never released in the US until it was mentioned on one of the Easy Allies podcasts about 2 years ago or so. It's really, really good, one of my favorite SNES games. The gradual expansion of towns blew me away at the time.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Terranigma is part of the that rare breed of games that are still relevant 25 years after its release and will be relevant even after another 25 years from now.
That's because Quintet infused, upon a robust action RPG template, universal themes dear to the human condition and had the ambition to trascend what videogames with commercial purpose were supposed to talk about, to deliver a journey with a deeper meaning centered around the endless cycle of creation and destruction.
There is no other game like it.

It's really unfortunate how SquareEnix treats the Quintet's legacy.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
who even owns the rights?

Guessing Tomoyoshi Miyazaki has some of them

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Terranigma was absolutely fantastic. One of my favorites and most definitely one of the best on the system.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my. I had really given up hope for any kind of Terranigma rerelease, or even acknowledgment. Seemed like it was too far gone with no real backing even with how much I loved it. Not to mention how no one seems to know who even has the rights to it.

Don't give me hope.

Ohnooni

Oct 27, 2017
YES! Do it! Put the whole trilogy into a collection or what ever, sell them alone, I don't care, just gimme!

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
A re-released Quintet trilogy is easily my most desired port, and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

I know that the first Actraiser was on the Wii Virtual Console, but I think that's the only time that any of the Quintet games have been ever re-released. There must be a reason behind that as from memory the Wii Virtual Console had pretty much all of Squaresoft's 16-bit catalogue.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
IMO Terranigma is the greatest video game ever made.

Shame it never came to North America. Hope more people get a chance to play it. I love it so so so much.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
This would be great, I want to say this is the first game I ever pre-ordered because I was such a big fan of illusion of time

Culex85

Jul 13, 2021
Berlin, Germany
Oh boy! I loved this game as a kid. My #1 SNES game, no competition.

giphy.gif

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I signed it. Never played these games, but after watching videos of the three games that are apparently a trilogy, they look like more action-oriented Zelda games with unique stories. Color me very interested. The gameplay looks very fun.

www.youtube.com

Is Soul Blazer Worth Playing Today? - SNESdrunk

Unexpectedly addictive... New SNES-related video every Tuesday, and something else (Genesis, Game Boy, whatever) on ThursdaysSNESdrunk's Patreon page, if you...
www.youtube.com

Is Illusion of Gaia Worth Playing Today? - SNESdrunk

Comets! Suicidal pigs! Vampires! Incas! A golden ship! Russian roulette! Talking flutes! Mummies! Cannibals! Child slavery!New SNES-related video every Tuesd...
www.youtube.com

Terranigma: Why the Hype? - SNESdrunk

Mysteriously not released in North America, not even on the Virtual Console...New SNES-related video every Tuesday, and something else (Genesis, Game Boy, wh...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I signed it. Never played these games, but after watching videos of the three games that are apparently a trilogy, they look like more action-oriented Zelda games with unique stories. Color me very interested. The gameplay looks very fun.

www.youtube.com

Is Soul Blazer Worth Playing Today? - SNESdrunk

Unexpectedly addictive... New SNES-related video every Tuesday, and something else (Genesis, Game Boy, whatever) on ThursdaysSNESdrunk's Patreon page, if you...
www.youtube.com

Is Illusion of Gaia Worth Playing Today? - SNESdrunk

Comets! Suicidal pigs! Vampires! Incas! A golden ship! Russian roulette! Talking flutes! Mummies! Cannibals! Child slavery!New SNES-related video every Tuesd...
www.youtube.com

Terranigma: Why the Hype? - SNESdrunk

Mysteriously not released in North America, not even on the Virtual Console...New SNES-related video every Tuesday, and something else (Genesis, Game Boy, wh...
They're less a standard trilogy and more a set of three games that feature similar story motifs and gameplay, although there are references between the three.

They're more action oriented - although Illusion of Gaia has plenty of puzzles at least - but prominently they're more story-oriented. Illusion of Gaia in particular was written by a sci-fi novelist and has a lot of slow, non-action scenes which you'd expect more from a novel than a video game from that time.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm kinda surprised but hopeful this leads to something: Illusion of Gaia was Wii VC bound but stopped, likely due to the artist owning parts of the game and not wanting to license them back out. Soul Blazer was known for being doomed due to the composer never wanting to play ball, so that'd be the hardest, and IIRC Terranigma has a similar situation, but if some key staff are starting to get on board, that could mean the tide is changing...

Still, the legal nightmares to get this trilogy fully rereleases are pretty stunning, so I hope it ends up happening and defies the odds

Red

Oct 26, 2017
All three games deserve a second lease on life, but Terranigma especially. Being region locked, it never got its due.

In a perfect world, we'd get new translations as well. I can't speak to other languages, but out of the three English releases, only Soul Blazer comes out unscathed iirc. And the quality of translation steadily declines with each entry. Terranigma has the most interesting story of the three, and it's let down by the script.