• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The flip thing seems like just speculation and not from real sources. It is a logical jump, but sources on the departure is one thing, sources on the fliping is a different beast, I think things are being conflated a bit here. Now a source from the firm or whatnot leading to this speculation, that would be juicy.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The flip thing seems like just speculation and not from real sources. It is a logical jump, but sources on the departure is one thing, sources on the fliping is a different beast, I think things are being conflated a bit here. Now a source from the firm or whatnot leading to this speculation, that would be juicy.

But why would Cohen's lawyers depart if Cohen isn't flipping? Do they see the case as not winnable and he's totally screwed?

Oct 25, 2017
vLH9AK8.gif

Oct 25, 2017
But why would Cohen's lawyers depart if Cohen isn't flipping? Do they see the case as not winnable and he's totally screwed?

I'm a former white collar prosecutor. I can't tell you how many times I've had defendants get new attorneys once the investigation hits the indictment phase. Often they are bled dry by attorneys making promises that they can't keep.

Money
Skills
Dishonesty

Probably all of the above.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking it's going to come out the abortion payment was verifiably for Trump.

It's going to be pretty amazing to see hardcore Christian Trump supporters suddenly claim that only Libtards would take away a woman's right to have an abortion, if this is the case. They'll have to claim they've always been pro-choice and only evil Libtards would be against abortion.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be pretty amazing to see hardcore Christian Trump supporters suddenly claim that only Libtards would take away a woman's right to have an abortion, if this is the case. They'll have to claim they've always been pro-choice and only evil Libtards would be against abortion.

Nah, they'll just paint Bechard as evil and turn up the cognitive dissonance to 11, while simultaneously screaming fake news at the top of their lungs.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. How does an individual end up being liable to such high expenses in lawyer fees to begin with? You can't be in need of 14 lawyers unless you were involved in some deep complicated and expensive shit to begin with.

Getting the 14 lawyers was a strategy to avoid getting a clean team to look at the documents or another cheaper alternative that would have exposed information to the Feds. However, there are cases were even regular people will be placed in similar situations.

For example, an engineer that is laid off and uses his non-compete time off to develop a new program or technology. That guy will for sure be sued by his original company and will need to hire lawyers to go through millions of pages of files, patents, emails, etc in order to prove he was not stealing company secrets. Those fees would rack up into the millions.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Changing attorney's because he is likely to be charged. Probably going to go the way Manafort's handled his situation.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
He's not going to testify, the Russian mob will take him out soon.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I will do what I always do:

1. Hope for this to end Trump's presidency sooner, rather than later.
2. Be prepared for nothing to happen and continue to be miserable about my country's leadership.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Always best to respond to threads like this once the initial euphoria is over.

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1006928433480421377?s=21

Not big news until I see him going to jail

Isn't it...dangerous to tweet something like this on Cohen's behalf?

No, it's federal.
NY will also need to pass some separate legislation in order to charge Cohen.
Not sure why it's taking so long.

The feds could also defer some charges to NYS if they felt they were appropriate, or if they felt that Trump was using his pardon power as a shield. They could do that to avoid NY's double jeopardy statute.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So, I have a question.

Can Trump get in trouble for communicating to people who have been or will be indicted that he will pardon them if they don't say anything about him to investigators?

How absolute is a presidential pardon? Can it be used, itself, as a way to obstruct an investigation by being offered as a reward to a criminal for not ratting the President's misdeeds out?

If the FBI somehow gets audio of Donald Trump himself talking to Manafort or Cohen and telling them that he will pardon them in exchange for their silence and denials under oath, can they use that to find the President himself in contempt of court or obstructing justice?

Because that's what this is all coming down to - Trump using a pardon as a means to squash indictments or convictions in order to protect himself.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
So, I have a question.

Can Trump get in trouble for communicating to people who have been or will be indicted that he will pardon them if they don't say anything about him to investigators?

How absolute is a presidential pardon? Can it be used, itself, as a way to obstruct an investigation by being offered as a reward to a criminal for not ratting the President's misdeeds out?

If the FBI somehow gets audio of Donald Trump himself talking to Manafort or Cohen and telling them that he will pardon them in exchange for their silence and denials under oath, can they use that to find the President himself in contempt of court or obstructing justice?

Because that's what this is all coming down to - Trump using a pardon as a means to squash indictments or convictions in order to protect himself.

Mueller's list of questions for the president include details on his conversations with potential witnesses (Flynn in particular) regarding pardons. It would be another paper on the stack building towards obstruction of justice. So yes, he can use it obstruct an investigation, but there are consequences for such an action.

Trump can use it to keep his cronies from ever suffering consequences for federal crimes, yes, but they lose the ability to plead the 5th after accepting the pardon. They can be compelled to testify, and failure to do so would still result in jail.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cohen hasnt flipped yet. He just got a new lawyer because he was contacted by SDNY that they were preparing paperwork to arrest him (charges).

My ideal scenario is he is arrested tomorrow. As a gift for a special someone.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, wouldn't counsel abandon him if he plans to fight the charges despite evidence? Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly but I would think the lawyers would have no problem staying on board for a plea bargain or a flip. I guess it would depend on if counsel departed or he dismissed them.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I would read this he is still committed to not cooperating despite his entire legal team telling him to. He's fucked either way but he's an idiot for not flipping basically, as he'd be far less fucked if he did.