crimzonflame

Never happen in the FGC

6. Maximo

Maximo

*gasp* im shocked.

7. Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde
    Member OP

So now, gaming has inadvertently become a tool for the alt-right and neo-nazi.

8. Jessie

Jessie

Hell, look at controversial threads about women and minorities on ResetEra/OldGAF. They lure you in with "just asking questions" rhetoric.

9. NoName999

NoName999

For the record: ISIS recruit in a similar fashion.

10. Yazzees

Yazzees

I doubt this is happening on a large scale. Mostly because it doesnt even need to. Multiplayer PvP gaming communities are already toxic as fuck completely on their own.

11. Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Wow. How shocking. This is my shocked face.

12. Fat4all

Fat4all
    Community Resettler Member

no wonder gamergate meshed so well into that cauldron of piss

13. Minishdriveby

Minishdriveby

I was just thinking, like seconds ago, how Milo Yiannopoulos really came into being in 2014 during GamerGate. Like many of the players associated with this fascist regime have roots in GamerGate. It shouldn't be surprising at all post-2014 (and hell even prior that; 2014 was just the powder keg moment) that online video games were being used by white nationalists to congregate and for recruitment.

14. Skelepuzzle

Skelepuzzle

No shit.

15. i-Lo

i-Lo

When I see ex-bigots and racists turn to the other side for the betterment of humanity, I am filled with some semblance of hope. Growing up in a somewhat racist family, I became one too, although not to the extent of the person being discussed in the OP. It's a fucking mind trap and one that requires time and exposure to people outside the bubble for rectification. I am glad that he is now sharing info on how the vulnerable people are being taken advantage of.

16. Isn't this the rest of what GamerGate was outside of treating women like crap? Doesn't sound surprising.

17. MaximumSpider

MaximumSpider
    Self-Requested Ban Member

Not very surprised

18. TelluricTokoro

TelluricTokoro
    Banned Member

No wonder white kids call me a nigga on mic all day long.

19. mugwhump

mugwhump

Wait, foreign recruiters from eastern Europe? Do they actually pay these people?

20. Ganransu

Ganransu

But at least we have confirmation now, so the naysayers can ignore this as well when we throw it at their face.

I mean, there's just no proof that white supremacists use video games to recruit members. Nope, none at all.

21. Lurkyseas

Lurkyseas
    Banned Member

This shit is unreal.

22. requiem

requiem

Not surprising at all. Seems like the perfect place for recruitment.

23. R dott B

R dott B

I'm not surprised.

Most gamers are trash humans.

24. Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde
    Member OP

Exactly. Now we need to figure out how to stop it or prevent this.

25. Recruiting people from depression and mental health forums. What the fuck.

26. Deleted member 42221

Deleted member 42221
    User requested account closure Member

I mean I'm not surprised, given the normalisation of slurs and toxic attitudes in online gaming.

I just straight up quit playing games online, and I'm glad to do it. I can get through my day easier with less people yelling at me calling me a faggot or a tranny.

27. If anyone is shocked by this, I wonder what kind of bubble they’re living in.

28. Nanashrew

Nanashrew

Not surprised in the least. I do remember getting into arguments back on gaf back in the day trying to talk about this. Nazis have invaded a ton of spaces and they're most prevalent on chan boards and reddit. They've entered gaming forums and multiplayer gaming et al because it's easy to convert young people. So many people kept trying to explain this and no one wanted to listen for the longest time.

29. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

These neo-Nazis are a fucking cancer.

30. TheDkmariolink

TheDkmariolink
    Banned Member

Recruiting young people (kids) into things is scummy as fuck, they are super impressionable and will follow anything if it seems fun, rewarding, or if they want to fit in somewhere to be part of something.

Resorting to this shows how shit and pathetic their group is.

31. Chaos2Frozen

Chaos2Frozen

Well, time to go back to just Single Player games.

32. Bhonar

Bhonar

lol what is “paradise”?

33. HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Pretends to be shocked.

34. Maxina

Maxina

If no one does anything to fight back against these people, they'll just continue doing it. Ignoring it won't solve the problem.

35. Don Fluffles

Don Fluffles

Fantastic interview.
    My favorite parts are about how random acts of kindness by the people he hated over time helped wake him up.

36. Tagyhag

Tagyhag

Probably the stuff that they spewed at Charlottesville

37. Ohto

Ohto

Absolutely every political group does the same. Every progressive group too.

I agree though, it is pathetic no matter who does it.

And does this come as a surprise to anyone? Really? I mean, what would be the best place to attract young, often introvert and depressed or in other ways fucked up males to your group?

One reason neo-nazis attract people is that young men feel lost. There is nothing for them in society (or at least they feel like that). Best way to combat far right cunts is to make young people feel welcome and appreciated. Being a hostile asshole doesn't work, even though it seems to be the basic response to everything these days.

38. Nanashrew

Nanashrew

Yep. anyone who followed the GamerGate stuff predicted this. Nazis were already moving into that movement, many GGers welcomed them with open arms because they shared a single enemy, women and feminism. Plenty of conservatives and right wing politicians saw GG as a way to get their interest too, because again they all shared the same enemy. It's why plenty of GGers are also Trump supporters.

It's all been connected and no one would listen to those who watched the movement closely.

39. AR Starts

AR Starts

I've heard all sorts of strange things while playing online games over the past two decades but have never had anyone ask me to be a part of their racist group.

40. spman2099

spman2099

Ethics in game journalism?

41. Fat4all

Fat4all
    Community Resettler Member

thats probably because you werent being racist online

42. Dankir

Dankir

Lol paradise... stupid ass kids.

43. ~Fake

~Fake

Now? Xbox live Brazil have a history of racism, neo-nazi and others. I lost the count how times I reported there.

44. Bakercat

Bakercat

People when down on their luck or feel hopeless will turn to anyone willing to stick out a hand. Sometimes that hand belongs to vile manipulators and abusers. Same thing happens to kids with gangs and those in bad relationships.

45. MattWilsonCSS

MattWilsonCSS
    Banned Member

This seems just a tad steeped in "both sides" boogie bullshit. There's a reason people are hostile to the alt-right/nazis and it's because there is more at stake and more on the line for them than the average person. Their continued existence is threatened by these assholes.

46. Don Fluffles

Don Fluffles

"Today they are using nefarious tactics like going to depression and mental health forums and in multiplayer gaming to recruit those same people."
    They're being manipulated. Attacking them will just be pushing them away from us.

47. Doggg

Doggg

I find it more disturbing that they preyed on the depressed and mentally ill.

48. Ogodei

Ogodei

Aye, this is extremists in general and not Nazis in particular.

49. Bung Hole

Bung Hole

Can we consider racist groups as terrorist groups now?

50. Doof

Doof

FGC's not a white boy's club, that's why. We've got our own problems, though.