• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
image.JPG

The matte finish makes it too orange.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Will reserve judgement until I see her on track. Saying that I've never been a fan of matte unless it's black. :P

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Mercedes W10 - Technical analysis by Craig Scarborough.
If you looked at the W10 in another colour scheme and analysed it, you'd say it wasn't a winning design when compared to any other car. But Mercedes have made their engineering approach and resulting counter-design decisions work so successfully, you start to wonder why another team hasn't yet tried Mercedes long wheelbase/low rake design.

Out first look at the new car shows these approaches are still in place. The W10 exhibits no obvious change in wheelbase, rake, nor radically different approach to its aero. But there remain some areas where its clear they have thought long and hard about new solutions.

Click for more.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why Mercedes is the only car with no funny stuff happening at the tip of its nose. Seems like a no-brainer to all teams besides them.
I'd imagine its because they've got years of working with the nose style they have. Nobody else even managed to make a nose like that did they? Early on it was proving difficult to get it through the crash tests.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
That Ferrari red is brighter than I expected. Maybe its down to the room lighting.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Marc Priestley's take on the concept behind the Alfa Romeo front wing design.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
From what I remember James Allison saying about nose designs, they make little difference to the overall aero performance and it's not worth the teams spending time/resources on them compared to other areas of the car. It's more about the nose working with the overall aero philosophy and this is why nearly all the teams (apart from McLaren) have stuck with the same design for the last few years

I still hate the thumbs though and can't wait until they are gone

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think Williams have bigger issues than their livery.

Actually acquiring enough parts to build the car is a major one.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017

It's like a racing game that has two modes. On the left, arcade/easy. On the right, sim/expert. F1 2018 cornering speeds are just incredible.

Don't follow Indy Car all that close, but I read they are returning to Laguna Seca. Now that would be great to see how a 2018 F1 car would fair against the Indy Car there!

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Ferrari and McLaren slowly converging in livery and aero.

Probably a bad sign for the boys from Maranello tbh.

(That matte red orange es no bueno)

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the FE race on a 10 minute delay.

That was... questionable.. by JEV.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Vandoorne is cursed. Gets fan boost and manages to convert it into a drive through penalty and a 5 second time penalty. Lmao.

Also, what an ending. Wehrlein probably fuming right now.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Holy shit that Formula E race was amazing. I saw the comments here and I waited for it to appear on iPlayer in the UK (it's live but there's issues watching from the start if it's part way through). Just finished the race, wow what a finish.

I only decided this week I'm gonna try following FE this year since I can't afford to see every F1 race love this year and iPlayer offers a great way to watch (live and on demand, NowTV for F1 is only live or you just can't watch it which is madness, they need on demand on NowTV).

I decided I'd support the Nissan boys, gotta love Nissan, I have no other greater allegiances so I'll go for them this year.. but boy what a race.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So I just downloaded the F1 TV iOS app. Not happy with it. Doesn't do full screen video, and it cannot AirPlay. So watching on the phone is far from desirable.

Need an Apple TV or Roku app ASAP.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

So the rumors of the car not even being finished were true?
Williams back of the pack for most of the year till the ROKiT money starts to actually make a difference.

Looking at the grid I have hope for all the teams to atleast make the racing interesting to watch, but then i look at Williams and filled with doubt, this car aint gonna make it is it.

It's that wonderful time of the year again, where hopes are kindled and dreams are shattered.

dzje82mw0aacgys_by_edmonddantes9285_dczyp3u-pre.jpg

If you can have both your driver why are some teams not testing both, if not both lead drivers then atleast both cars with a third seat doing work?
Is there any advantage to NOT running multiple drivers/cars during the testing days?

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I told you a few days ago that there were rumors about Williams missing the first day of testing. Not a good look.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
No one in the stands or watching tv really sees if a car is one second, or 5 seconds slower per lap. They do see when they're not overtaking.

Regarding testing and the amount of cars, often the factories only have one full car + spares available to test, so there's that.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Just watched the Gentleman Driver documentary on Netflix. Makes me want to get into karting tbh. Not that I can afford it lol. Also triggered my business senses again and I am going to try the thing I've been wanting for the last couple of years but just didn't get to it.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit that Formula E race was amazing. I saw the comments here and I waited for it to appear on iPlayer in the UK (it's live but there's issues watching from the start if it's part way through). Just finished the race, wow what a finish.

I only decided this week I'm gonna try following FE this year since I can't afford to see every F1 race love this year and iPlayer offers a great way to watch (live and on demand, NowTV for F1 is only live or you just can't watch it which is madness, they need on demand on NowTV).

I decided I'd support the Nissan boys, gotta love Nissan, I have no other greater allegiances so I'll go for them this year.. but boy what a race.

Just in case you aren't aware, if the BBC is showing Formula E live it will be on the red button (Freeview 601). If they are not showing it live the race will be available live on the Formula E YouTube channel.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Williams will even make it till the new regulations. Just painful to watch that team fade away.

Status
Not open for further replies.