Formula One - Post Season Discussion Thread!

Oct 27, 2017
Day 2 done and dusted!

1) Charles Leclerc, Ferrari, 1:18.247, 144 laps
2) Lando Norris, McLaren, 1:18.553, 102 laps
3) Kevin Magnussen, Haas, 1:19.206, 59 laps
4) Alex Albon, Toro Rosso, 1:19.301, 131 laps
5) Antonio Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo, 1:19.312, 99 laps
6) Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 1:19.535, 89 laps
7) Pierre Gasly, Red Bull, 1:19.814, 92 laps
8) Nico Hulkenberg, Renault, 1:19.837, 95 laps
9) Daniel Ricciardo, Renault, 1:19.886, 28 laps
10) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:19.928, 74 laps
11) Lance Stroll, Racing Point, 1:20.382, 79 laps
12) Pietro Fittipaldi, Haas, 1:21.849, 13 laps
Likelyhood Renault is going to a delta given how close the times are between Hulkardo? I panicked this morning when they said on the radio (admittedly, non-sports station) that Ricciardo was near the bottom of the timesheet, but failed to mention that it was ABOVE A FUCKING MERCEDES, YOU TWATS.

I'm slightly more relieved now.

Oct 25, 2017
Likelyhood Renault is going to a delta given how close the times are between Hulkardo? I panicked this morning when they said on the radio (admittedly, non-sports station) that Ricciardo was near the bottom of the timesheet, but failed to mention that it was ABOVE A FUCKING MERCEDES, YOU TWATS.

I'm slightly more relieved now.
Danny Ric seemed super chilled when he was being interviewed today. I don't think theres any major issues except maybe the rear wing with the DRS failure today. The engine certainly seems fine.

Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me that anyone bothers looking at the lap times at all.

This is really where you start to get an idea of reliability more than anything.
All it seems to do is tell you where you are reliability wise and even after running like clockwork some random gremlin could still fuck you like with a 10 cent rubber part fucking Hamilton out of a win in Australia 2014.

Oct 25, 2017

This is really where you start to get an idea of reliability more than anything.
Truth, really. We'll only see the real situation at the end of Qualifying at Albert Park. But it's still fun to see the new cars, their liveries, their new drivers and to speculate at their programs.

Apr 13, 2018
Single lap pace is obviously meaningless however, stint timings do give one at least some information on tyre wear and consistency. When stint times are metronomic one can then extrapolate and gain some insight based on the number of laps completed, the tyre compound utilised and the mean laptime. Of course one still has to speculate based on the fuel load, fuel dropoff and engine power mode however, the speculation is then, at least, not completely baseless. It's basically an easy indicator of a poor car but not so much, or not an accurate indicator, of a good/great one as the team then has the luxury of being able to mask their ultimate pace better.