• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
The FE race was interesting, I haven't seen a race since season one really. The cars look nice and can actually follow closely and overtake. Wow.

The production is low budget or rough though. You couldnt understand the radios and commentators often didn't even know rules. Nice that it's on YouTube though.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The production is low budget or rough though. You couldnt understand the radios and commentators often didn't even know rules. Nice that it's on YouTube though.
Yeah, FE is still laughably amateurish in some respects, especially for something that is meant to be one of the FIA's big plays for the future.

It's sub-F2 standards of broadcasting.
  • Half the field got drive-through penalties and the commentators never really explained why, nor did we see most of the penalties being served.
  • The camera spent half the race lingering on the Attack Mode activation zone, yet we still mised 75% of the times drivers actually went through it.
  • When drivers were actually using their Attack Mode or Fan Boost the cameras weren't on them.
  • etc.
They really need to up their game.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, there's a lot more happening in a FE race than in a F1 one. Having said that, the production was rough in this one, significantly worse than it normally is. Don't know if there is a new director/production team, but hopefully it improves going forward.

The important thing to take away from this race is that the cars looked fast and the racing is still as close and exciting as ever. Everything else can be fixed easily.

PS: There's a test day today and the times are significantly faster than yesterday, so there's still a lot of improvement to come from these cars as well.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
To be fair, there's a lot more happening in a FE race than in a F1 one. Having said that, the production was rough in this one, significantly worse than it normally is. Don't know if there is a new director/production team, but hopefully it improves going forward.

The important thing to take away from this race is that the cars looked fast and the racing is still as close and exciting as ever. Everything else can be fixed easily.

PS: There's a test day today and the times are significantly faster than yesterday, so there's still a lot of improvement to come from these cars as well.
Production team is the same, but I think that TV director was new. Probably they wanted to test all the stuff / camera placements / zones of interest (overtaking zones, choke points) during free practices, but we know what happened.

I think that Marrakesh should be better, because it is half-permanent track and we had races there in previous seasons - TV director will have much easier job.

Testing went well, lots of laps and data all across the board. Da Costa said that he had a lot of juice left in the car at the end of the race, so we could see quicker cars as season progress.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was the worst transmission I've seen in a major event. I don't remember this being a problem on the previous seasons.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
In b4 Hamilton gets shit for his clothes at the BBC sports personality awards.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Formula E still has the problem that all their tracks still look like building sites.

Yup, that's my problem with it. The tracks are just so dull they may as well race at Valencia every time.

I get that running at Spa isn't currently an option , unless you want a 10 lap race!, but there must be a better solution. Can't they just run cut down versions of great tracks?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait for next season.

Imagine how McLaren will feel if Honda finally figures things out with Red Bull.

I think McLaren, and everyone else in F1, now know it wasn't Honda causing their issues. I honestly think that if they can get on top of their reliability issues RB can be genuine contenders next season.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without knowing the rules of FE, is BMW getting pole/ winning in their very first race any indication of their tech being superior? Didnt know Massa was driving in FE.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Without knowing the rules of FE, is BMW getting pole/ winning in their very first race any indication of their tech being superior? Didnt know Massa was driving in FE.

You should probably disregard the grid for the FE race, given the sessions before were wiped out. Wait until you see a weekend with no interruptions.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yup, that's my problem with it. The tracks are just so dull they may as well race at Valencia every time.

I get that running at Spa isn't currently an option , unless you want a 10 lap race!, but there must be a better solution. Can't they just run cut down versions of great tracks?
I suppose it's easier to get a ROI by hosting most of these races in city centres where it's much easier to fill the stands with casual fans who aren't willing to travel into the countryside.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017

They do that in Mexico, but the race isn't necessarily better because of that.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This first race was a complete shitshow that tells us very little.

Practice was washed out, half the grid got penalties in Qualifying, the other half got penalties in the Race. Da Costa fucked everything up and still won because he managed to avoid any penalties.

The one thing that could be picked out is that Techeetah look ominously strong, especially on the brakes they look a generation ahead of everyone else.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
For the simracing followers, Jimmy vs. Max vs. Lando

"I murdered Lando Norris"

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
It's great news to have a positive update about Schumacher's health, but I can't help but be confused as to what it actually means (other than the obvious) and how his overall condition is.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It's great news to have a positive update about Schumacher's health, but I can't help but be confused as to what it actually means (other than the obvious) and how his overall condition is.
An article republished from The S*n based on quotes from The Daily Mail. Don't bring this absolute fucking garbage in here.

Let the man have the privacy and dignity he deserves, and don't give a moment's oxygen or attention to these disgusting rags.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be sure to vet any external contributions through Tygre in the future. Don't want to risk a ban from him.

Oct 25, 2017
Honda bringing some sort of fuel reforming ICE next season, working closely with Exxon on the new development.

Big increase in power and efficiency coming for 2019

in 2018 the direction of development was finally decided, towards 2019 I got the feet on the ground and I am planning to prepare a power unit that has been powered up more than ever for the next spring test.

ap-1x48j8gs11w11_newsz9ftt.jpg

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Honda bringing some sort of fuel reforming ICE next season, working closely with Exxon on the new development.

Big increase in power and efficiency coming for 2019

Just the fact that Red Bull now has an engine tuned to their fuel supplier is going to be a big upgrade. The amount of work they had to put in to get the Renault engines working with Exxon every upgrade is now a thing of the past.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fully expecting Red Bull to set/use reckless performance targets that result in unnecessary engine failures.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Just the fact that Red Bull now has an engine tuned to their fuel supplier is going to be a big upgrade. The amount of work they had to put in to get the Renault engines working with Exxon every upgrade is now a thing of the past.

Who did they have before the Mobile 1 deal?

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Who did they have before the Mobile 1 deal?

Well Renault (and McLaren) and their engines are running BP Castrol. Red Bull meanwhile had a contract with Exxon (and still has). What that meant was that for every engine spec Red Bull had to do their own lab testing and optimization of the fuel to run well with the engine.

A lot of people have been suggesting this has been a (major) factor to the reliability issues over the past seasons. Because by the time Renault would deliver the new engine specs, only then Red Bull could begin testing with the fuel. They could not rely on the data provided by Renault. So they were always behind on that front.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Well Renault (and McLaren) and their engines are running BP Castrol. Red Bull meanwhile had a contract with Exxon (and still has). What that meant was that for every engine spec Red Bull had to do their own lab testing and optimization of the fuel to run well with the engine.

A lot of people have been suggesting this has been a (major) factor to the reliability issues over the past seasons. Because by the time Renault would deliver the new engine specs, only then Red Bull could begin testing with the fuel. They could not rely on the data provided by Renault. So they were always behind on that front.

Interesting. Thanks FeD :)

sixclix

Nov 10, 2017
They'll probably be fast enough, as they already were with Renault. But the reliability still was very much below par last year. I'm not expecting any change to Honda's abysmal reliability. Every time they tune their engines up, they blow to bits. How many did the STR boys use last year? Eight EACH?

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I remember Honda losing an engine during a race was the last one in the back of Gasly's car. Were there any others?

sixclix

Nov 10, 2017
The only time I remember Honda losing an engine during a race was the last one in the back of Gasly's car. Were there any others?

Changing them in between FP's.... they mostly had 'new' engines when they performed well during races OR severly turned down engines when they didn't. You can clearly spot those moments when they were as bad as Williams :)

Oct 25, 2017

They didn't lose an engine in Abu Dhabi, in that race the oil connection point wasn't tightened enough causing a leak. Tanabe put it as a simple mistake. The only race where Honda had a failure was in the season opener where Gasly smashed over the kerb and broke the MGU-H.

They also had Gasly's high mileage Spec 1 PU (Bahrain) go in one of the Silverstone free practices.

Spec 1 and 2 covered 5 and 6 races a piece, the Spec 3 is untested, they had calibration issues with it until they ran the new software in Mexico FP1. With next season the power and reliability are only going to get better.

Red Bull have hit the jackpot.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
They didn't lose an engine in Abu Dhabi, in that race the oil connection point wasn't tightened enough causing a leak. Tanabe put it as a simple mistake. The only race where Honda had a failure was in the season opener where Gasly smashed over the kerb and broke the MGU-H.

Breaking news : when something break someone somewhere made a mistake

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking news : when something break someone somewhere made a mistake

But nothing broke. A mechanic didn't turn his spanner enough times:

There were no broken symptoms on the basic engine data, the PU itself is not broken.
The trouble itself is"what I can run if I tighten up (leaked connection points)

It was a simple mistake. There was not a problem at the core of the design, Tanabe Technical Director shouldered that it still remained a lost race.

https://members.f1-life.net/race/77362/

Status
Not open for further replies.