• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Getting word on Binotto's first speech to the staff....

"We can ill afford another klendathu"

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
So Binotto is in charge of everything, he was running the technical side. That seems like a lot of responsibility and pressure.

They built a great car but just weren't on the overall level of Hamilton with a methodical Mercedes team. Ferrari needed changes.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
So Binotto is in charge of everything, he was running the technical side. That seems like a lot of responsibility and pressure.

They built a great car but just weren't on the overall level of Hamilton with a methodical Mercedes team. Ferrari needed changes.

Its part team issues and part Vettel losing it. One or the other being fine would have secured them the WDC.

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
Getting word on Binotto's first speech to the staff....

"We can ill afford another klendathu"
i-understood-that-reference-gif-3.gif

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Its part team issues and part Vettel losing it. One or the other being fine would have secured them the WDC.
To me, this was almost entirely on Vettel this last season when it mattered most. Ferrari were generally comfortable and had the better car before Vettel choked in the rain repeatedly mid-season. He dominated at Spa and then disappeared into the background while he could still have fought back. The team stepped up to screw him at times in the second half but momentum had completely flipped by then and some of it was out of desperation. Sukuza being the climax of that stupidity. Vettel's apparent fetish with lap 1 contact sealed the deal. Kimi's win in Austin was proof the car was still competitive.

If I had to pin the season on one moment it was Germany when Vettel crashed in mixed conditions and Hamilton's inexplicable longshot strategy from the back somehow paid off. It was bonus karma after Vettel won at Silverstone thanks to Kimi t-boning Hamilton, then mocking Mercedes after.

Deleted member 8136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Binotto winning the power struggle has a certain irony, as he was the one responsible for not developing enough corner downforce on the car (and not Arrivabene) - but in the end only shows that Elkann's influence is the problem hampering the team the most. Without his interference regarding the handling of RAI's farewell and the LEC contract many of last seasons problems could have been easily avoided.

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Vettel was really far behind points wise in Suzuka, driving a conservative race wouldn't have made much progress from that grid position.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Saw today that F1 management wants to remove the race tires from the Friday practice after being inspired by the US GP. Can't say I disagree with the notion. It's all a bit overly calculated atm

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah ditching Friday would be fine. Give them all less time to perfect everything as frankly they are quite good at it.

In the meantime, only give them a tyre they can't use in the race wold be ok.

Hopefully F1 tests it with their gaming teams to see what it does

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The Power of Dreams going up in smoke

Dr. Helmut Marko anticipates Red Bull will not have a seamless first season with Honda.

"We are aware that it will probably be difficult with reliability," said Marko.

"Most probably we won't be able to get through the season on three engines. That will be the concept, that we consciously accept engine penalties if necessary."

Red Bull already planning for engine penalties before we even know when they're revealing their car.

Honda really are the gift that keeps on giving.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
The Power of Dreams going up in smoke

Red Bull already planning for engine penalties before we even know when they're revealing their car.

Honda really are the gift that keeps on giving.

To be competitive and bulletproof reliable in the first season would be a miracle, doubly so with Redbull's agressive packaging demands.

Not sure we can really blame Honda if there are some transitional issues.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
To be competitive and bulletproof reliable in the first season would be a miracle, doubly so with Redbull's agressive packaging demands.

It will be interesting to see the narrative that forms throughout this season, as last year Red Bull blamed a lot of their problems on the Renault engines.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Tag Huereureur are still making the engines I thought?
You're about 1 month to 1 year out of the loop.

Red Bull have switched to Honda engines for the 2019 season, after trialling them in their junior team Toro Rosso for the last year.

I feel like I've gone back in time to 2015, just scratch out "Red Bull" for "McLaren"

Honda ran out of time for these sort of excuses about 3 seasons ago.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
To be honest, it seems like a viable strategy if you can plan for taking penalties on tracks that don't suit you to begin with or if the end result wouldn't change (like in 2018 when Red Bull could finish right after Merc/Ferrari while starting way back because the midfield couldn't keep up), as long as that allows you to run your engines in better modes throughout the season.

But that's under the assumption that they can predict when the engine parts will fail. So yeah, let's see how well the composure of Horner, Marko and Verstappen can hold up this year.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
You're about 1 month to 1 year out of the loop.

Red Bull have switched to Honda engines for the 2019 season, after trialling them in their junior team Toro Rosso for the last year.

I know that lol. I'm sure I saw something that said Tag was going to be the name used though. Maybe I misremember.

Ahh they decided not to rebrand these. Lets see how that goes.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
I know that lol. I'm sure I saw something that said Tag was going to be the name used though. Maybe I misremember.

The engines will be branded as Honda. TAG will however remain as one of their main sponsors.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

No you heard correct....its just news from over a year ago.

On Topic.

SAY IT AINT SO!!!!!
Okay, I can reason with this....as long as on the engine can pull some good days on the right tracks im okay with them throwing in a few penalties where hey see fit.

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I'm kinda more interested to see what Renault's engine performance will look like.
They've said the next engine will be a big change and with the poor improvements it seemed like they had hit a wall with the original engine. Could mean they make a big step forward, or pull a Honda and have an overambitious engine with poor reliability.

Hopefully Renault's chassis will also improve. They seemed to have the fourth best chassis last year considering FI and Haas' engine advantage.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I'm kinda more interested to see what Renault's engine performance will look like.
They've said the next engine will be a big change and with the poor improvements it seemed like they had hit a wall with the original engine. Could mean they make a big step forward, or pull a Honda and have an overambitious engine with poor reliability.

Hopefully Renault's chassis will also improve. They seemed to have the fourth best chassis last year considering FI and Haas' engine advantage.
I always root for Renault partly because of the Alonso years and also because they seem to be able to improve and be competent when given time. They looked to be on the right track on 2011 with Kimi, then Lotus happened. Now they seem to be getting better again every year since their come back and with Danny Ric on board I have another reason to root for them. I don't expect them to improve their constructor place this year, but I hope they can close the gap to the front and increase their advantage over midfield teams. But who knows, if RBR / Honda don't get it right the first year, that 3rd place may not be out of question. And if Ferrari do what they usually do well ...

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile... Verstappen, getting in some pre-season training...

And again...

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Great E-prix, this season will be epic. Santiago in two weeks time

And I would like to be a fly on the wall at BMW debrief

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing F1 2018 and the first thing that annoyed me was no Kubica, Robert or Bobby K on the list of the names for Crofty to call my career driver (there are special ones or nicknames like Iceman). Had to settle with Roberts. ;p

OP
OP
BlackFyre

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing F1 2018 and the first thing that annoyed me was no Kubica, Robert or Bobby K on the list of the names for Crofty to call my career driver (there are special ones or nicknames like Iceman). Had to settle with Roberts. ;p

This game is kicking my ass. Even on amateur I can't even get pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.