• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Ferrari always go for the headline times. Always.
Dzyh2sKXcAA2JzH

Fastest today. Mission complete.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Day 2 done and dusted!

1) Charles Leclerc, Ferrari, 1:18.247, 144 laps
2) Lando Norris, McLaren, 1:18.553, 102 laps
3) Kevin Magnussen, Haas, 1:19.206, 59 laps
4) Alex Albon, Toro Rosso, 1:19.301, 131 laps
5) Antonio Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo, 1:19.312, 99 laps
6) Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 1:19.535, 89 laps
7) Pierre Gasly, Red Bull, 1:19.814, 92 laps
8) Nico Hulkenberg, Renault, 1:19.837, 95 laps
9) Daniel Ricciardo, Renault, 1:19.886, 28 laps
10) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:19.928, 74 laps
11) Lance Stroll, Racing Point, 1:20.382, 79 laps
12) Pietro Fittipaldi, Haas, 1:21.849, 13 laps
Likelyhood Renault is going to a delta given how close the times are between Hulkardo? I panicked this morning when they said on the radio (admittedly, non-sports station) that Ricciardo was near the bottom of the timesheet, but failed to mention that it was ABOVE A FUCKING MERCEDES, YOU TWATS.

I'm slightly more relieved now.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Likelyhood Renault is going to a delta given how close the times are between Hulkardo? I panicked this morning when they said on the radio (admittedly, non-sports station) that Ricciardo was near the bottom of the timesheet, but failed to mention that it was ABOVE A FUCKING MERCEDES, YOU TWATS.

I'm slightly more relieved now.

Danny Ric seemed super chilled when he was being interviewed today. I don't think theres any major issues except maybe the rear wing with the DRS failure today. The engine certainly seems fine.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It amazes me that anyone bothers looking at the lap times at all.

This is really where you start to get an idea of reliability more than anything.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Might we finally have a season with 4 different engines that can run continually?

Oct 25, 2017

This is really where you start to get an idea of reliability more than anything.
All it seems to do is tell you where you are reliability wise and even after running like clockwork some random gremlin could still fuck you like with a 10 cent rubber part fucking Hamilton out of a win in Australia 2014.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

Truth, really. We'll only see the real situation at the end of Qualifying at Albert Park. But it's still fun to see the new cars, their liveries, their new drivers and to speculate at their programs.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018

Single lap pace is obviously meaningless however, stint timings do give one at least some information on tyre wear and consistency. When stint times are metronomic one can then extrapolate and gain some insight based on the number of laps completed, the tyre compound utilised and the mean laptime. Of course one still has to speculate based on the fuel load, fuel dropoff and engine power mode however, the speculation is then, at least, not completely baseless. It's basically an easy indicator of a poor car but not so much, or not an accurate indicator, of a good/great one as the team then has the luxury of being able to mask their ultimate pace better.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I truly don't understand how they do it. Like, someone buy them a fucking dyno.

He insinuated that these are a carry over from last season. Was TR struggling with vibrations last season? I know they had issues with running the higher engine modes for longer periods but I thought the vibration issues were left behind with the mclaren days

Oct 25, 2017
He insinuated that these are a carry over from last season. Was TR struggling with vibrations last season?

The Honda spec 3s new combustion caused vibrations in Russia on the gear upshift, you could hear it. For Japan Honda brought a fix for the race with new software but the FIA banned them from using it citing a high increase in torque between qualifying and the race setting, this after giving them the ok. There was an interview with an Honda engineer on as.web.jp going into more detail. This vibration issue was finally eradicated when they ran the new software in Mexico FP1.

Then we come to now with Autobild saying Honda's 2019 devolopment is plagued by Vibration issues followed by this Priestley chap.

I.e, it's a load of shit.

Honda are testing two different specced PUs in this test and still in neutral mode, like last year they won't power up until the second test. I'm surprised we haven't had any Ted Kravitz bullshit yet.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So. Which teams drivers are going to be the first to fall out? I'm thinking either Ferrari or Red Bull are the likely candidates.

There are others that may well end up rubbing each other the wrong way but I think it'd only be an issue if they were further up the field.

Out of the top teams I think Mercedes will be fine. Hamilton will dominate Bottas who'll keep silent in public and then be gently pushed out to a Mercedes B-team (if he's lucky) to make room for Ocon.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
so Claire Williams being interviewed by Sky F1 all but confirmed all the Williams drama..

OP
OP
BlackFyre

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Williams fall from their 90s form has been epic. They used to be the class of the field. That 92 car may yet be the greatest f1 car ever put on track.

Even in up to 2004 they went head to head with Ferrari. Now they have to make up sponsors no one has heard of and can't even deliver a car on time.

Absolute disgrace. Maybe it's time the Williams family sit back and let someone with talent take the reigns.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Just to hammer home the Testing Times Don't Matter mantra, our new Testing Timesheet Topper is Kimi Raikkonen's Sauber Alfa Romeo with a 1:17.762

Mandrion

Oct 28, 2017
Tobi Grüner
@tgruener
GPS data shows Ferrari clearly ahead of Mercedes & Red Bull atm. Christian Horner confident the new rearwing introduced on Wednesday will reduce gap. Frontwing concept will not be changed. Numbers looking good.

AMuS link

Mercedes are also telling AMuS that they are behind.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Mercedes has started the last two seasons behind, why would this year be any different?
Wrong. Last year GPS data provided by Amus showed that Mercedes was faster than Ferrari. Specifically Mercedes was able to carry more speed in the corners and didn't have any fuel management issues but was a bit hard on the tyres. Ferrari was a bit gentle on the tyres and faster on the straight but much slower in the corners. In fact Ferrari fans on Reddit and other forums had a massive meltdowns and thought the car was worse than RB.

Ferrari was fastest on the test because Mercedes didn't use the softest tyres due to extremely low temeperatures of the track ( they simply thought that it was useless to try them ) .

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt Ferrari starts out with the best car again. They did last year too, and they still lost both championships.

We still have yet to see if Vettel has improved under pressure, and also what effect Leclerc will have and what kind of dynamic will develop between the two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.