• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Deadline via Nielsen
he free-to-play title generated the most annual revenue of any game in history, raking in $2.4 billion in 2018, according to estimates from Nielsen's SuperData.

The firm said Fortnite's multi-platform release on PC, console and mobile allowed it to reach a massive audience. Publisher Epic Games kept the momentum going by regularly updated the game with new modes, weapons and environments.

Fortnite also revolutionized game monetization with battle pass, a limited-time, in-game purchase that rewards players with digital items they need to complete challenges.

"Games like Dota 2 have sold battle passes in the past, but Fortnite made them a core part of its monetization strategy, with 34% of U.S. Fortnite players buying them regularly," SuperData notes in its report on the state of the game industry.
Here's the rest of them.
screen-shot-2019-01-16-at-5.20.57-pm.png

These are the numbers for premium games:
2.png

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Awesome! Fortnite is an amazing game, deserves all of the success
Especially since its success seems to make a lot of people mad...

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
meanwhile, Call Of Duty Black Ops III Blackout has become free-to-play for this weekend.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
To me the real story is that Candy Crush is still making a billion in a year, I thought King would have burned people by releasing so many copies just themselves not too mention the other matching games.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Crazy.

Also, remember when Pokemon Go was a fad that was only going to last for four months in the Summer of 2016?

Michael Pachter said:
The game requires couch potatoes to get off the couch, and the novelty will wear off when they get tired or when their phone batteries die. I give this four months at the top of the charts, then it will fade.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Monster Hunter World in the top 10 premium games by revenue surprised me. Good shit.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Deserved success, I can't wait to see what they do with Creative mode and other modes.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
what a crazy success story fortnite is...
was developed for years as a PVE base building coop game and as that in early access it had a OK launch but nothing huge, they saw the opportunity for BR because of PUBG and... it's the biggest thing ever while PUBG continue to lose relevance.

and Epic, from UT being huge, to kind of becoming an Engine company to now this....

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it made more money than Infinity War? Is Fortnite the highest grossing entertainment product for a given year?

less

Oct 25, 2017
That's a ridiculous amount of money especially when compared to second place. Good for Epic.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it correct that this does not include december data?

There's no way Smash made less than $429 million in December, so either it's not included or their numbers are way off.

So it made more money than Infinity War? Is Fortnite the highest grossing entertainment product for a given year?

Possibly in a calendar year. Avatar did $2.7 billion at the box office, but that was a December release so the money was split over two years.