• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many people that are calling out Jim for jumping to conclusions actually saw the video that they're criticizing him for. Truly ironic.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you fuckin kidding me? Did you really say it's not a good idea to hold off judgment until you have all facts? That's 100% the solution. Im really at a loss. Why does everyone want to jump to conclusions without facts. You dont feel bad for saying shame on a company when you didn't have all the facts and then looked like an ass for being wrong? Well then there's a problem with you and you'll just look like an idiot the rest of your life. So if that's what you want go ahead. But don't be shocked when people call you a moron from here on out
No, because saying "That's a bad thing Epic did" didn't make me look like an ass at all (I never actually said that in this thread, but I would not feel bad if I did). Having incorrect information to work with will happen sometimes. If you are open to new information that comes along then you're fine.

If we get even more new information about the design being stolen from a different artist we don't know about yet, will the early "Epic did a shitty thing" comments look good? Not really - they will still be replies that were dealing with the information that they had at the time. Will the replies that currently say "Ooooh I guess Epic actually didn't do anything wrong" suddenly be asshole replies? No - they will also be replies that were working with the information they had at the time.

The only asshole comments are those that try to paint Era as a vitriolic hive mind mob, when in fact it is a gathering of individuals who are individually responding to the available information as most people would. (I am not excusing the comments that genuinely were overly vitriolic or were hunting the Epic artist personally, those are never okay even if they had been working with correct information)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I propose behaving intellectually and like an adult (and if you literally aren't adult, I don't think you're supposed to have an Era account, right?) You don't hang people before knowing if they did anything wrong.

Plagiarism is an extremely serious, career ending crime. Most artists working in the industry -- Honestly, virtually all of them -- Are true professionals and take this shit *extremely* seriously. It would basically require you be a psychopath to achieve a station as an artist in the AAA industry and decide to plagiarize.

How about don't say "fuck you epic" (the internet equivalent of a hanging, especially when a whole crowd is doing it and seeding it) when there's no evidence or corroboration. Just don't do it at all.

It is crazy that this even needs to be said. Lay down the pitchforks, people.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Society these days, accusations apparently mean someones guilty... Whatever. In this instance it means nothing, I hope the person who created that character on Fortnite didn't receive too much hassle.

Shows how truly toxic he is in general really.
Also how toxic this community is. Glass houses and all that.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In his video he was spreading hate and negativity instantly, without even waiting for Epic's response? Very similar tone to most of his videos, if you've watched some over the past few years. Very witchhunty in my opinion :)

He stressed that it was an allegation and that nothing was confirmed. He even mentioned the DeviantArt stuff. How is that toxic?

Did you even watch the video? How is this different from accusing people of wanting their bias against Epic confirmed?

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim fucking Sterling Son jumped on the hate bandwagon as well? I didn't think this thread could deliver anymore than it already has, lol

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
There were people straigh up telling him/her to chill out and brace him/herself, and then acted offended when she/he replied back and went all: "You were being rude while we wrongly accused your friend of thief, so no apology for you"

It was just one person.. And they acted a prick to others in the thread too.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
No, because saying "That's a bad thing Epic did" didn't make me look like an ass at all (I never actually said that in this thread, but I would not feel bad if I did). Having incorrect information to work with will happen sometimes. If you are open to new information that comes along then you're fine.

If we get even more new information about the design being stolen from a different artist we don't know about yet, will the early "Epic did a shitty thing" comments look good? Not really - they will still be replies that were dealing with the information that they had at the time. Will the replies that currently say "Ooooh I guess Epic actually didn't do anything wrong" suddenly be asshole replies? No - they will also be replies that were working with the information they had at the time.

The only asshole comments are those that try to paint Era as a vitriolic hive mind mob, when in fact it is a gathering of individuals who are individually responding to the available information as most people would. (I am not excusing the comments that genuinely were overly vitriolic or were hunting the Epic artist personally, those are never okay even if they had been working with correct information)
No one has go paint era as anything. They do it all themselves. Saying epic did a shitty thing when you don't know if they did a shitty thing is stupid and does make said person look like an ass. If you don't have the information then how do you come to that conclusion? You assumed based on what you want to be factual. People want epic to be painted in a bad light cause they disagree with some things they do, so they jump to epic is shit. That does in fact make said person an ass

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Razor Mom apologies for my initial reaction to you, that was shitty. While many of us did switch our view when you began making your posts, too many of us gave you a hard time and we should have considered your posts more. I myself was a complete dick, and I'm very sorry for that. I won't make any excuse for it.

Already ate crow on the fact this was very likely a fake, but you deserve an apology for my reaction toward you too.

(ps this would have come sooner but I was asleep)
Good apology, kudos. It's nice to see people can take the time to self reflect.
I've been using Era less and less these past few weeks just because of the overwhelming negativity that can be found here. It's depressing man. It's easy to say "Well just ignore those threads" but when most of the threads are full of some sort of controversy then you have to ask yourself "is it even worth browsing through anymore".

I love this place but it's becoming hard to stick around for as long as I used to. It feels like the place becomes less and less about actual "games" as the weeks go on.

/rantover
When you start to feel like that on ERA, you should search for particular communities in Hangouts that could interest you. Like OT about game series, specific genres or developers you like. These threads are where the chill people... well, hang out, even when some madness engulfs the regular gaming side.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm out of the loop. I can't keep up with flavor of the month internet outrage.

Why is Epic the big bad again? For forcing us to use their garbage client? If so, where is the angry mob for Ubisoft also making us use their garbage client? Where is Bethesda's?

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been insane to read and just serves as a reminder why I find it frustrating how people are eager to jump the gun these days (maybe it's always been a problem and I never noticed, though), or just sprew inflammatory things to the point where it's less a talk/discussion as much as an echo chamber full of quips and negative remarks. It's become more prevalent on ERA as well and it's just... tiresome. I've also checked the thread and I can only find a single warning, which was handed out because it was "low effort drive-by" that antagonized other members... for posting a "take the l" gif directed towards the early thread pages. Out of all the hostility in this thread, that's it? THAT'S what gets the attention? I don't even get why that post in particular got it as there were plenty of others in the same vein, just without a gif.

There's been a lot of good things said in this thread, such as Jobbs which I'm quoting below because it bears repeating. I'm bloody glad the name of the accused artist didn't get out as it could've damaged their reputation. I sincerely hope this thread changes /something/ here. I realize it's been less than 24 hours, but considering there's been one warning and a thread title edit I feel disappointed by the moderation team as well. This thread is a good example that it's not a healthy climate.

Again, this is good:

I propose behaving intellectually and like an adult (and if you literally aren't adult, I don't think you're supposed to have an Era account, right?) You don't hang people before knowing if they did anything wrong.

Plagiarism is an extremely serious, career ending crime. Most artists working in the industry -- Honestly, virtually all of them -- Are true professionals and take this shit *extremely* seriously. It would basically require you be a psychopath to achieve a station as an artist in the AAA industry and decide to plagiarize.

How about don't say "fuck you epic" (the internet equivalent of a hanging, especially when a whole crowd is doing it and seeding it) when there's no evidence or corroboration. Just don't do it at all.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one has go paint era as anything. They do it all themselves. Saying epic did a shitty thing when you don't know if they did a shitty thing is stupid and does make said person look like an ass. If you don't have the information then how do you come to that conclusion? You assumed based on what you want to be factual. People want epic to be painted in a bad light cause they disagree with some things they do, so they jump to epic is shit. That does in fact make said person an ass
You didn't respond to anything I wrote.

There are some things you currently believe and one day you will gain new information that changes your thoughts on them. That doesn't mean you're currently an asshole or an idiot.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Why is Epic the big bad again? For forcing us to use their garbage client? If so, where is the angry mob for Ubisoft also making us use their garbage client? Where is Bethesda's?
Ubisoft and Bethesda are not paying third party exclusives to prevent other launchers from having them, that's the main difference.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
"I retract my statement but art theft really riles me up harumph harumph" .. Some of you need to get the fuck over yourselves.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017

They are competing with Valve.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
You didn't respond to anything I wrote.

There are some things you currently believe and one day you will gain new information that changes your thoughts on them. That doesn't mean you're currently an asshole or an idiot.
Of course there are. But no one even waited for epics response. People jumped to conclusions 10 minutes after an artist claimed it was stolen. You had one side of information. Listen if you want to jump to conclusions when you have one sided Info, then do what you please. But you still look like an ass if you do it. Maybe you should wait for the other side to come out and address the issue

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing he didn't spread "hate and suspicion" then?

Oh the video was harmless and that's why he left it up. Got it.

You'll probably never know what it's like to be an artist creating original work for a living and having someone use his major video platform to spread misinformation about you stealing someone else's work-- Misinformation that'll live on in many peoples' minds regardless of what later happens. But I'm betting if you do it won't exactly feel loving

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, what a twist...

Let me read all the nuanced and thoughtful posts made before and after the expose...

oXDIuoF.gif

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
People need to stop going all in on these sorts of things. Say it's shitty and the artist should be paid if true, but what's the point of putting all your eggs in one basket.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft and Bethesda are not paying third party exclusives to prevent other launchers from having them, that's the main difference.
Ubisoft and Bethesda can easily have all their games run on Steamworks just like the rest of the world, but they won't because they are trying to promote their client. They are as bad as Epic.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so you didn't see the video but you're making assumptions about its content. Got it.

I can't think of any time someone removed and apologized for a youtube video that didn't have anything inappropriate in it. If it was a level headed and balanced examination of the events of the day there'd be absolutely no reason to remove it and apologize for your fuck up. Don't be dumb.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
"I retract my statement but art theft really riles me up harumph harumph" .. Some of you need to get the fuck over yourselves.
Yep, shitheads who do shit like this make art theft a whole lot easier too. If you truly hate art theft you should be as riled up as the clown who tried to pull a fast one on you and gave the actual artist a fuck load of stress.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read it, which is why it doesn't make sense to me. It sounded like he had the foresight of possibly taking down his video if one outcome occurs so why even put it up?

Because he thought that even though he presented all possibilities, which he mostly did, because of the way it was presented ("too churlish in my approach to Epic's side") it wouldn't have been enough to update the headline so he took it down to prevent it from spreading further.

I can't think of any time someone removed and apologized for a youtube video that didn't have anything inappropriate in it.

Thanks for the confirmation. This shit honestly writes itself.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is both depressing and hilarious. Some of you are so blinded by your hatred for companies you got played by a 12 year old on deviantart instead of remaining calm and attempting minimal rationality by waiting for information. Not to mention the way some of you treated Razor Mom. Big yikes at some of these posters and some of you need to grow up and stop acting like fucking children.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft and Bethesda can easily have all their games run on Steamworks just like the rest of the world, but they won't because they are trying to promote their client. They are as bad as Epic.
Nobody would give a damn if Epic was doing the same because even if that sucks, it's understandable, but Epic is going a (big) step further.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Era less and less these past few weeks just because of the overwhelming negativity that can be found here. It's depressing man. It's easy to say "Well just ignore those threads" but when most of the threads are full of some sort of controversy then you have to ask yourself "is it even worth browsing through anymore".

I love this place but it's becoming hard to stick around for as long as I used to. It feels like the place becomes less and less about actual "games" as the weeks go on.

/rantover
Yep

I hardly browse on weekends and only time I be on here unfortunately is when I'm at work and have nothing to do.

This place done turned into Entertainment Tonight or something lol

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe actually consider the accusation and who or what is being accused rather than jump to "big company did bad thing".

It was a plagiarism of art claim, meaning an individual professional artist within Epic (who we found out later was temporarily contracted) risked their reputation and livelihood by copying another artist's work.

You were, intentionally or not, asking for Epic to sack one of its employees for something you admit you didn't know all the facts of.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Because he thought that even though he presented all possibilities, which he mostly did, because of the way it was presented ("too churlish in my approach to Epic's side") it wouldn't have been enough to update the headline so he took it down to prevent it from spreading further.

You can't just spread whatever information you can find and shield yourself from criticism by going "Well, I'm just a messenger". I expect better from someone like Jim. At least do the minimal investigative work and verify its credibility by yourself--if you can't do that it's probably better to hold off.

These things have consequences.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem! Why even try to present all the facts if your only going to keep your video up if the story goes one specific way? Why upload it at all? Why is it okay that he took the video down if the only way that the video would still be up is if the story were true?

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are competing with Valve.
Take a look at EA and Ubisoft clients. You can't honestly say they aren't competing with Valve as well. They definitely want a piece of the pie.

Though EA would rather buy small studios to make games for them only to chew them out a few years later, than moneyhat exclusives. Big yikes.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You were, intentionally or not, asking for Epic to sack one of its employees for something you admit you didn't know all the facts of.
No I wasn't. I didn't post at all, but if I had I would have said Epic needs to review the situation and fire the artist if it was true that they had stolen. They did review the situation and found that the artist did nothing wrong.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Razor Mom apologies for my initial reaction to you, that was shitty. While many of us did switch our view when you began making your posts, too many of us gave you a hard time and we should have considered your posts more. I myself was a complete dick, and I'm very sorry for that. I won't make any excuse for it.

Already ate crow on the fact this was very likely a fake, but you deserve an apology for my reaction toward you too.

(ps this would have come sooner but I was asleep)

I respect someone that can admit an error and set things right. Good on you.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I just have a little difficulty understanding the thought process of putting a video out of this story if you're going to take it down depending on the outcome, especially if you frame it as going either way.

Like it's weird that it both went up in first place and that it was taken down.
In the video, he said that the main reason he put it up so quickly was because his inbox was overflowing with mails from people asking him to cover it and he didn't want those people to spam the comment section of today's Jimquisition going "why isn't this about the Epic thing!?" It's debatable whether that's a good enough reason but it's the one he gave. And he explained why he took it down in the tweet. He doesn't want to contribute to the story spreading further than it already has. Again, I can see arguments for or against taking it down but I can see where he was coming from.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't just spread whatever information you can find and shield yourself from criticism by going "Well, I'm just a messenger". I expect better from someone like Jim. At least do the minimal investigative work and verify its credibility by yourself--if you can't do that it's better to hold off.

These things have consequences.

He made a video on the allegation, which is something that happened, and presented various possibilities (same es Forbes contributor Erik Kain). When it came out that it was a hoax, he acknowledged that he jumped the gun and that's that. The fact that someone accused Epic of stealing art doesn't change with the new information, even though the allegations were false. But he felt that his video wouldn't represent the situation properly even with an updated headline and took it down.

That's the problem! Why even try to present all the facts if your only going to keep your video up if the story goes one specific way? Why upload it at all? Why is it okay that he took the video down if the only way that the video would still be up is if the story were true?

Because an uploaded video is not the same as text and you can't just go back to it and add a few more seconds? This is obviously also a limitation of his platform so he took to Twitter where his followers also interact with him. At the time he put the video, that was the information he had access to and he, again, put out the possibility that it was simply a fake. There was more nuance to his take than the two possibilities you're suggesting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.