• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These posters that are going after the MODS is completely uncalled for and makes no sense. I wonder if those two are signed up to Era Clear since they expect so much.
Are you reading my comment? I said the mod team has go to through a LOT of stuff everyday so they can't be everywhere. I'm not agreeing with the other poster.

?????

Are you okay bud?

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is both depressing and hilarious. Some of you are so blinded by your hatred for companies you got played by a 12 year old on deviantart instead of remaining calm and attempting minimal rationality by waiting for information. Not to mention the way some of you treated Razor Mom. Big yikes at some of these posters and some of you need to grow up and stop acting like fucking children.

This, and the worse thing about it is that they probably aren't gonna learn anything from this and soon they will do it again.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of any time someone removed and apologized for a youtube video that didn't have anything inappropriate in it. If it was a level headed and balanced examination of the events of the day there'd be absolutely no reason to remove it and apologize for your fuck up. Don't be dumb.
I watched the video. He was presenting it as an allegation that hadn't yet been proven/disproven and mentioned the stuff about DeviantArt letting you edit images without that edit showing up. He was leaning more towards believing the kid in the video but it was very clear that it was still a developing story. The main reason he took it down was probably what he said it was in his tweet: keeping the story in general from spreading further.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the video. He was presenting it as an allegation that hadn't yet been proven/disproven and mentioned the stuff about DeviantArt letting you edit images without that edit showing up. He was leaning more towards believing the kid in the video but it was very clear that it was still a developing story. The main reason he took it down was probably what he said it was in his tweet: keeping the story in general from spreading further.

I stand by my statement that he was spreading hate and suspicion. Have you read his comments sections?

He needs to post a retraction video.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Me reading through the thread as more info came out:
BothFabulousHarvestmen-small.gif

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of any time someone removed and apologized for a youtube video that didn't have anything inappropriate in it. If it was a level headed and balanced examination of the events of the day there'd be absolutely no reason to remove it and apologize for your fuck up. Don't be dumb.

You keep adding irrelevant shit to your posts after I've already quoted them so I'm gonna reply to this once more. The height of irony here is that you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing others of doing. That you can't see how you're just revealing your own hypocrisy by accusing Jim of spreading "hate and suspicion" based on the fact that he took the video down rather than its content, just shows how hollow your other posts in this thread were.

So again, did you watch the video or not? If you can't answer this simple question, don't bother replying.

Oct 25, 2017
Because an uploaded video is not the same as text and you can't just go back to it and add a few more seconds? This is obviously also a limitation of his platform so he took to Twitter where his followers also interact with him. At the time he put the video, that was the information he had access to and he, again, put out the possibility that it was simply a fake. There was more nuance to his take than the two possibilities you're suggesting here.
Honestly I would take less issue with the way he handled this if he prefaced in his video that he would take it down if the accusations were false. Why else would he upload it if he wasn't betting on the story being true? If he knew that editing a video title wouldn't stop misinformation from spreading? Like everyone else in this thread he should have waited.

I don't belive there to be any nuance but if there was, he eliminated it by taking down the video.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You can repeatedly say "there's no lesson" to be learned, there's nothing to see here, everyone go home. But people are learning. Slowly, yes, but they're learning. Principled pushback against mob justice will continue to grow. You'll lose this battle you're fighting, this advocating you're doing for such a rotten thing like mob justice. No matter how much you try to polish that turd and tell everyone it doesn't smell all that bad, people are learning, bit by bit, thread by thread, misfire by misfire; people are beginning to get whiffs of how bad mob justice and knee-jerk social media reactions really smell.
I guess we'll see, won't we? Wake me up when racists aren't being en-masse deservingly shamed on Twitter, and I'll rub my eyes to see your world. For every story where people got it wrong, there are two stories of bullshit rightfully being called out, so it's hard to imagine the world you want becoming a reality, and I hope it never does. It would say more about the individuals downplaying those incidents and the positive impact they have to want them to disappear.

I get where you're coming from, I get when you look at it from a certain angle, how could anyone say "mob justice" is a good thing? I'll give you one reason: accountability. The way things have always been is racists or Republicans or whoever is shit, they get away with it, they have their little moments and they spew their bullshit and everyone moves on. Usually there is no recourse for that, because everyone has the right to say what they want, so what can happen to them? nothing, really. Enter Twitter. Now, people have the tools to finally be able to converge and fight back against that stuff. People need to watch what they say, because there are millions who are ready to call them out if they trip up. People are finally *accountable* to a degree they were not before. That, to me, and to the people who historically haven't had as much of a voice, is a good thing.

Last edited:

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
God the condescending contempt from the "I knew it was fake all along" crowd is going to be nauseating. Some of you can't say you came at it from a place of rationality. There isn't an action taken by a big name company you wouldn't automatically defend

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
I was wondering if Epic were to take legal action against him for ruining their image, is it possible to sue ?

I know it's not worth it but I'm just wondering. I'm not good with laws especially in US

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off, I'm close friends with the artist who concepted this Fortnite skin. This kind of thing has been his style for years, since the day I met him 6 years ago and almost certainly before. They might have both found the same reference, but it sure as fuck isn't copied. The very notion that a professional concept artist who's been in the industry years would go to deviantart to "steal" is just insane.

This is ridiculous.

Just wanted to say props to you for standing up for your friend's integrity in the face of Era's embarrassing mob mentality. Hopefully you've gotten some apologies from the folks who told you your friend was a thief.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I would take less issue with the way he handled this if he prefaced in his video that he would take it down if the accusations were false. Why else would he upload it if he wasn't betting on the story being true? If he knew that editing a video title wouldn't stop misinformation from spreading? Like everyone else in this thread he should have waited.

I don't belive there to be any nuance but if there was, he eliminated it by taking down the video.
Again, he was leaning towards it being true but he wasn't presenting it as fact and he did mention the DeviantArt edit situation. So yeah, there was definitely some nuance there but it's true that it would've been better for him to wait a bit longer for all the facts to come out.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Era less and less these past few weeks just because of the overwhelming negativity that can be found here. It's depressing man. It's easy to say "Well just ignore those threads" but when most of the threads are full of some sort of controversy then you have to ask yourself "is it even worth browsing through anymore".

I love this place but it's becoming hard to stick around for as long as I used to. It feels like the place becomes less and less about actual "games" as the weeks go on.

/rantover

Same. And this exact same situation will happen again. As it has happened like 5 times since the year started.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Retractions vs corrections are an ongoing discussion in journalism and since there are no universal legal or ethical standards it's really difficult to decide what to do. Even though I never had to do it for something on this scale, I've had colleagues around me having to deal with it. For someone like Jim who doesn't produce content in a traditional way, isn't working as a traditional journalist and doesn't really have a traditional platform but shares it between YouTube and Twitter, this is even more difficult. I don't know what I'd have done in his situation but ultimately, his video lost its journalistic value once it came out that it was all a hoax and he thought that keeping it up would only cause more damage. Especially once the (luckily still unknown?) freelance artist was starting to be pulled into the limelight, I tend to agree with him. Did he jump the gun? Yes. Sadly, you still produce content for your readership/audience and if they want to you to talk or write about a topic, you are more than often forced to heed the call. Seeing as many were out for blood, his take was extremely levelheaded.

My problem with this entire discussion around Jim Sterling's video is that a lot of people are accusing him of doing something he didn't do based on a video they didn't see. Which is an extremely idiotic thing to happen in this very thread.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Retractions vs corrections are an ongoing discussion in journalism and since there are no universal legal or ethical standards it's really difficult to decide what to do. Even though I never had to do it for something on this scale, I've had colleagues around me having to deal with it. For someone like Jim who doesn't produce content in a traditional way, isn't working as a traditional journalist and doesn't really have a traditional platform but shares it between YouTube and Twitter, this is even more difficult. I don't know what I'd have done in his situation but ultimately, his video lost its journalistic value once it came out that it was all a hoax and he thought that keeping it up would only cause more damage. Especially once the (luckily still unknown?) freelance artist was starting to be pulled into the limelight, I tend to agree with him.

My problem with this entire discussion around Jim Sterling's video is that a lot of people are accusing him of doing something he didn't do based on a video they didn't see. Which is an extremely idiotic thing to happen in this very thread.

Plus that just seems like an unfair standard standard for any kind of reporting? There have been many legal cases where all the facts don't come out for years. Are you just never supposed to talk about issues till then? How do you know when all the facts are presented? How do you know another twist won't come a week from now for a second time?

Oct 25, 2017
Again, he was leaning towards it being true but he wasn't presenting it as fact and he did mention the DeviantArt edit situation. So yeah, there was definitely some nuance there but it's true that it would've been better for him to wait a bit longer for all the facts to come out.
I understand that he wasn't presenting it as fact. I just don't understand, for precisely that reason, that he believed the accusations could also be false, to just delete the video later BECAUSE they were false.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even get the reactions on the first couple of pages and I saw the thread before the update yesterday. Had there actually been plagiarizing, it is likely more often going to happen because one worker finds a drawing to plagiarize off of and then pushes their finished products to their bosses who says "Oh wow you did some great work on this one, good job!" and approves it to be integrated into the game (in this case it was a freelancer and not an employee). This is a much different situation than a dance move, widely known because of pop-culture, being included in a game (before you even get to who the original creator of the move is, is the work actually capable of gaining defensible copyright, etc.).

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even get the reactions on the first couple of pages and I saw the thread before the update yesterday. Had there actually been plagiarizing, it is likely more often going to happen because one worker finds a drawing to plagiarize off of and then pushes their finished products to their bosses who says "Oh wow you did some great work on this one, good job!" and approves it to be integrated into the game (in this case it was a freelancer and not an employee). This is a much different situation than a dance move, widely known because of pop-culture, being included in a game (before you even get to who the original creator of the move is, is the work actually capable of gaining defensible copyright, etc.).
It's Fortnite. People have their knives out for this game, and anything their creators do currently.

It's a shame.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Driving thread derailment, modwhining, and backseat moderating over a series of posts
People should get a week ban just to learn something, people have a whole different type of hate when it comes to epic

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plus that just seems like an unfair standard standard for any kind of reporting? There have been many legal cases where all the facts don't come out for years. Are you just never supposed to talk about issues till then? How do you know when all the facts are presented? How do you know another twist won't come a week from now for a second time?

Precisely. I get the feeling that more people are concerned with Jim having to see consequences for making a video rather than setting the record straight. It was a minor fuckup on his part because of his style and tone, not the content.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So apparently this person uploaded this to devainarts and they can sell your images. So I think this whole fuck epic thing is a little premature until all the facts come out. But this is ResetEra so go ahead and skip the facts and go straight to trashing people.
If this person got banned because of this thread, unban this man

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'm not saying people shouldn't be skeptical if something seems fishy. However, online art theft is already taken with plenty of skepticism and apathy. If you want an example of how bad it is: see the popularity of the bot Archillect, which scours art blogs (mostly Tumblr) for images that matches its aesthetic, takes those images without permission, and posts them without credit. There's a separate Twitter bot that gives the source of those images, but it doesn't get nearly as much attention. The creator knows a lot of artists have a problem with this, but doesn't give a shit. As an example of how little people care about that this happens, here's a thread on this forum of people getting hyped because they thought Archillect might be teasing a Death Stranding reveal. This was brought up in the thread by a couple of people (including me), nobody gave a shit because oh shit oh fuck Kojima the god the genius might reveal another Death Stranding teaser that shows nothing. Getting hyped cause the art stealing bot with aesthetic with no connection to the game might be teasing a thing for the game.
Yes, it's a legitimate problem when it actually is a case of plagiarism and theft. I agree with you, and it does suck when there's apathy for when it happens with a company that people generally like--though the exact opposite happened in this thread and should be condemned as well. Defamation holds the same weight as plagiarism for me. They both fuck someone over pretty hard so I always approach things with skepticism until everything is on the table and I can make a decision on how I feel about the situation based on the truth.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Razor Mom - Not familiar with your name, and I only read first 3 pages then jumped to here.

You did come in with teeth showing, but at the same time, while not entirely justified, we're all human and I can understand your fierce loyalty prompting your reaction so no judgement here.

That being said, going by the thread-title change, you were fully redeemed, and fuck ya when you see something like "fierce loyalty" paying off as often times people are let down. I'm glad you were not. Way to vouch for your friend. I wasn't going to post in this thread, but ya, wanted to pass on my props to you.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Driving thread derailment and modwhining; making a hostile report
Recommend sites where people would not have had an initial reaction?
The issue is not "having an initial reaction". And all I'm saying is that Era is not going to change in this respects. Not without drastic moderation changes.

Oct 30, 2017
Are you fuckin kidding me? Did you really say it's not a good idea to hold off judgment until you have all facts? That's 100% the solution. Im really at a loss. Why does everyone want to jump to conclusions without facts. You dont feel bad for saying shame on a company when you didn't have all the facts and then looked like an ass for being wrong? Well then there's a problem with you and you'll just look like an idiot the rest of your life. So if that's what you want go ahead. But don't be shocked when people call you a moron from here on out

If this person got banned because of this thread, unban this man

You can look at the poster history. Looks like the user was banned for the above comment.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not much wrong with that either.
Gonna agree there. Especially since the people who used that same kind of language towards Epic were not even handed a warning. (And sure, there's a difference between referring to another member directly or referring to a bigger, faceless entity but it still strikes me as odd.)

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Driving thread derailment and modwhining
I've reported far more antagonizing posts that were ignored by the mods, but whatever. If you feel strongly about it you can contact a mod captain and ask them to look into it.
All I can think of is calling him a moron, but going by that a few others in the last couple of pages should be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.