• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
GameInformer uploaded their final video on Forspoken. Below is ten minutes of gameplay with traversal and combat. First eight minutes is brand new gameplay. Last two minutes are of a mini boss fight we have seen previously.

JCmasta

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
This game looks like Infamous + FFXV + Horizon. I'm digging it a lot! Here's hoping the extra polish window is put to good use.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I won't lie, this footage looks a lot better than the last video we got but it's still not enough for me to be fully sold on it. The particles are still a bit much, the enemy designs in this video aren't that great and honestly, the gameplay doesn't even seem that fun to me. Plus, the world seems so massive (at least in this video), but I feel like there's barely anything going on in the world of Forspoken which gives the impression that there isn't much to do in Forspoken. If there was, I'd love to be proven wrong and shown more side content/side related stuff that isn't gameplay focused or story focused. At the end of the day, though, I don't think Forspoken is gonna be downright awful. It just seems like it's gonna be an okay game and nothing more, which is perfectly fine, I just wish it looked better lol.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Still looking great. Only thing I saw that I didn't love was the "VULNERABLE" and "FIRST STRIKE" text. There must be a more seamless way to convey that kind of info to the player during combat.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
jUF83CL.gif

Ironically this does a better job at the selling the 'fantasy based on reality" vibe than FFXV did because this shit looks way cooler than a boy band that can't sprint for more than 15 seconds in a desert.

Is there a time limit for bad takes?
I wish there was if only so it'd be apparent that someone actually watched the video.

I watched parts of the video, skipping through. Do you have to watch the full 10 minutes to have an opinion on the quality and type of game you're looking at?
I mean if someone watched ten minutes of a movie and was skipping through out I wouldn't take their opinion on that seriously either. 🤷‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing Ghostwire Tokyo proved to me it's that magic can be fun. They didn't do it perfectly in Ghostwire, and frankly, this doesn't look much different, but I do think I'm more sold on the concept that it can be done correctly and be persistently fun. My major fears are:

1) Performance -- the particle effects here are still wrecking the framerate, and frankly legibility is lessened because of how huge they are.
2) Open world -- this city on a slant looks dope, but it's really the only location I've seen in all they have shown that looks like a place I want to explore
3) Combat -- switching between spells looks laborious and slows down the pace of things considerably. I hope PC at least allows binds for every ability.
4) Price -- 70 dollars is a lot of money for any game. I really, really will not get this at full price unless we're looking at a 10/10, and that's probably not happening.

Also, what the fuck is up with that skybox? The clouds look awful.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just looks weird to me. The particles are weird, distracting, lines everywhere. Even the trail behind the character looks weird. Combat still doesn't look very fluid. I liked the little traversal section. I'm sure the game will be fine. Just looks odd.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I mean if someone watched ten minutes of a movie and was skipping through out I wouldn't take their opinion on that seriously either. 🤷‍♂️
That's fine. I'm not trying to sell or dissuade anybody from the game, just giving my opinion. It's not necessarily me saying its bad either, I just believe it'll be a grab Sony would make especially with it being Square Enix and all.

OP
OP
PshycoNinja

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I won't lie, this footage looks a lot better than the last video we got but it's still not enough for me to be fully sold on it. The particles are still a bit much, the enemy designs in this video aren't that great and honestly, the gameplay doesn't even seem that fun to me. Plus, the world seems so massive (at least in this video), but I feel like there's barely anything going on in the world of Forspoken which gives the impression that there isn't much to do in Forspoken. If there was, I'd love to be proven wrong and shown more side content/side related stuff that isn't gameplay focused or story focused. At the end of the day, though, I don't think Forspoken is gonna be downright awful. It just seems like it's gonna be an okay game and nothing more, which is perfectly fine, I just wish it looked better lol.

Its totally fair to feel that way. I made a thread the other day about the dungeons in the game.

GameInformer also made an article with some of the side activities Luminous Productions showed them while at the studio if you wanted to check out what some of the stuff looks like/is.

Oct 25, 2017
My god the time to kill on these enemies.

It's an action rpg where the regular battles take longer than a turn based rpg.

I really hope this is just someone playing really inefficiently and there are systems that allow you to burn down enemies much faster using skill and knowledge.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Compared to the last video the enemies are dying way faster in this one because the hits are actually landing instead of random dash spam. And as a result things look a lot more fluid especially with the magic parkour.
yIDaepf.gif

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Combat looks really fun, My only issues still really comes down to visual clarity. There's a few moments in the game that seems way too busy even traversal with the bubble/blur effect It really could be just the video compression. Need a better source or something.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Your own AOE magic can stun or hinder you.

Tell me that this game was made by the FFXV team without telling me.

OP
OP
PshycoNinja

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
NGL enemies would be super boring if they went down in two or three magic hits. Them being a little challenging (especially since we don't know the players level in these sections yet and the spongier enemies seem to be further in the break like shown in a few videos) is nice. Especially for Luminous who made enemies somewhat quick to take down in XV. I love XV but its two drawbacks were unlimited item usage and enemies going down quick. It seems rectified here with a limited pool of healing items (you see the amount next to the health bar) and tougher enemies.

Idk I think these are all positives. Combine that with a normal development cycle for Luminous Productions, for once, with a finalized engine before starting full development and being given extra time to polish up the game and make the adjustments they feel they need to make...idk...I think this is on a really good track.

I mean that preview gameplay from December that was never meant to be shared wholesale and showed it still being optimized and what we see here is vastly improved in a very short amount of time. I am excited.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd be super into this game if not for era bein so down on it all the time.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in love with the enemies I've seen in this game so far, nothing looks particularly memorable, but the environments seem nice. The "reverse umbrella" spell for breaking your fall is also pretty neat.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks great visually, but man, sometimes those particle effects look like pure visual noise, and it's super distracting.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is a game I would have to actually try and play myself before passing judgement.

Right now, all the movement looks really fun, the combat however looks really boring, like just so boring.
But again LOOKS boring, it could just be a situation where its boring to watch, but fun to play.

If the spell system is balanced and all the spells have unique purposes and interplay with each other, so there is a reason to switch out spells and combo them together, that could be cool.
I don't have faith that the AI is going to be fun to fight against, so all my hope is for a fun system to style on the enemies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing Ghostwire Tokyo proved to me it's that magic can be fun. They didn't do it perfectly in Ghostwire, and frankly, this doesn't look much different, but I do think I'm more sold on the concept that it can be done correctly and be persistently fun. My major fears are:

1) Performance -- the particle effects here are still wrecking the framerate, and frankly legibility is lessened because of how huge they are.
2) Open world -- this city on a slant looks dope, but it's really the only location I've seen in all they have shown that looks like a place I want to explore
3) Combat -- switching between spells looks laborious and slows down the pace of things considerably. I hope PC at least allows binds for every ability.
4) Price -- 70 dollars is a lot of money for any game. I really, really will not get this at full price unless we're looking at a 10/10, and that's probably not happening.

Also, what the fuck is up with that skybox? The clouds look awful.
if I had to compare this with ghostwire, the magic in that game is readable. that's the big keyword that's lacking in the footage for Forspoken. there's a lot of shit going on. and worst yet is the damn camera whipping around. nauseating to say the least. the end of the video implied that all of this was supplied footage, so none of this really felt like "typical gameplay". it felt like they were trying to look cool with all the flips and switching magic. Sunhi Legend the players/editors are not.

I've said it before, but I think proper hands on footage will be a boon for this game, because the publisher supplied footage does this game zero favors

NGL enemies would be super boring if they went down in two or three magic hits. Them being a little challenging (especially since we don't know the players level in these sections yet and the spongier enemies seem to be further in the break like shown in a few videos) is nice. Especially for Luminous who made enemies somewhat quick to take down in XV. I love XV but its two drawbacks were unlimited item usage and enemies going down quick. It seems rectified here with a limited pool of healing items (you see the amount next to the health bar) and tougher enemies.

Idk I think these are all positives. Combine that with a normal development cycle for Luminous Productions, for once, with a finalized engine before starting full development and being given extra time to polish up the game and make the adjustments they feel they need to make...idk...I think this is on a really good track.

I mean that preview gameplay from December that was never meant to be shared wholesale and showed it still being optimized and what we see here is vastly improved in a very short amount of time. I am excited.
the TTK on the enemies, I think, is affected by the player here flipping around and quickly constantly to different spells (which slows down the game). "optimal" play would look more balanced than what's shown without making enemies look like a pushover

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
I expect it to be all style and little substance like FFXV but will wait to try it myself before passing final judgement. The game looks gorgeous (except for the movement particles, not sure why they went this direction) but I have so little faith in the studio. I'm skeptical based on all we've seen of the gameplay, but I hope it ends up being good!

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Magic looks super flashy and cool, like it did in FFXV!

And I'm glad it looks like you'll be using it a lot. I never used magic in FFXV cause it was a chore to collect and "craft", and having it basically boiled down to a consumable potion I throw was super lame. I'm one of those paranoid hoarder gamers who never use my items and finish the game (or stop playing) with like 50+ of items because my brain is bad.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That looked really fun. Exploration looks like it'll be neat since you can use different abilities to traverse the world. I think I saw Frey riding waves to cross water in a different video, it looked cool.

Day one!

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I think I'd be super into this game if not for era bein so down on it all the time.
Seriously, the length of this thread is sad compared to the interest last year. The drumbeat of negativity about literally every small thing in this game really just sapped any joy out of discussing it.

Complaints about her voice, her quips, the fact that she said a swear word, her fucking shoes, the cover of the game looking like a music album, responding to the "hip-hoppy" comment (which was a shit comment, no question) by loudly expressing intentions to boycott maybe the first ever AAA game fronted by a black woman. I'm surprised there wasn't a mod response: a lot of that shit was extremely suspect.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
God, those 'wait for Game Pass/PS+' type posts are so annoying. Not only is it a passive aggressive way of shitting on a game most of the time, it's like some people are unable of just saying that aren't interested in a game without shilling a service. It's okay if you aren't interested in a game or think it looks okay but will wait to check it out later, you don't have to attach your favorite subscription to it arbitrarily.

Anyway, the more recent previews for this have looked better. I'm still not sure what to think of it, but have it preordered still for now. Always up for supporting new IPs. It also seems like they changed the NA box art, at least it's different on GameStop's website

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The world looks so empty. Is there anything to do outer than fight enemies? The combat looks okay, but lacks fluidity and looks like it's likely to get repetitive. Given that combat mostly takes place in the open though I can see it getting very repetitive as there isn't much variability that the level design is likely to induce.

I'll be keeping and eye on it because I think the gameplay is interesting, I like the spell aesthetics and combinations, plus perhaps the story is good, but for now I am just going to sit and observe. I'll pick it up later in the year if it gets good reviews.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm those regular mobs seem too tanky. The game does look gorgeous but it being a SE titles means I won't be touching it day one. I'll give it a month and see how reviews are before I even think about it.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's just me, but the image quality looks really bad? For most of time, looks like sub 1080p. ( but the hud looks pretty sharp.) Too much motion blur?

OP
OP
PshycoNinja

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
As I asked in the last thread where someone said this. What. Does. This. Mean? Literally what other game has a combat system like this? Let alone a group of games that this can be deemed "typical."

The post is extra weird considering some people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the game due to it being a mage focused game that is so new and different. For a game like that I would hardly consider that "typical". Unless its really as simple as them being like "Lots of polygons and vfx = AAA".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's just me, but the image quality looks really bad? For most of time, looks like sub 1080p. ( but the hud looks pretty sharp.) Too much motion blur?
particles and video compression are mortal enemies. you will never get a good video unless you have a multi gigabyte, minimally compressed recording

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The post is extra weird considering some people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the game due to it being a mage focused game that is so new and different. For a game like that I would hardly consider that "typical". Unless its really as simple as them being like "Lots of polygons and vfx = AAA".
Next question would be

Exactly how many AAA games star a black woman as the protagonist?

So we have a game where a woman is transported to a fantasy world from modern day new york, and all of the combat centers around magic, as well as the traversal which features you running or flying across landscapes at record speed. I am meant to believe that this is typical stuff as far as AAA games go???

particles and video compression are mortal enemies. you will never get a good video unless you have a multi gigabyte, minimally compressed recording
Gamersyde should be a way more popular site than it is.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
As I asked in the last thread where someone said this. What. Does. This. Mean? Literally what other game has a combat system like this? Let alone a group of games that this can be deemed "typical."

It's brought to you by the same people who call GhostWire: Tokyo generic. I think people just pick a criticism for something they don't like or think looks good out of a hat at this point. I don't know where people get this stuff otherwise.