• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

The descriptions mentions "in game purchases" which are likely just the digital deluxe upgrade that players can order from the basic version to get access to the prequel expansion.
Advice for consumers
This game has received a PEGI 18 which restricts availability to ADULTS ONLY and is not suitable for persons under 18 years of age. This rating has been given because it features strong suicide references and use of strong language.

Brief outline of the game
Action-adventure role-playing game in which a young woman who has lost everything is transported from New York to a magical realm. She must save the people of this beautiful but cruel land, find her true purpose and return home.

Content specific issues
In one scene, a despairing women stands on a ledge, while drinking alcohol, and considers whether the world would be better off without her. When she puts a foot over the ledge, she is saved by a mystical presence. Later in the game, the same character is goaded by a villainous character who tells her she should have taken her own life. However, she does not act upon this. This game also contains use of strong language ('f**k'), as well as milder terms.

Other issues
This game offers players the opportunity to purchase in-game items, in the form of downloadable content packs, which some parents or carers may want to be aware of. Parents, carers, or other responsible adults should check to see what is being offered before making any purchase on behalf of a child. It should be noted that the game can still be played without the need to purchase such items. The game also includes scenes of realistic violence, including a woman being set upon by a group of thugs who punch and kick her and hold a gun to her head. There is also violence against fantasy characters, who are knocked backwards by attacks and bleed yellow blood. The player's character can order alcoholic drinks at a bar. The drinks affect the player's statistics, but do so in a random manner with negative outcomes possible.

There were some discussions about the game getting potentially delayed but this might indicate otherwise

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That's a dark description, very down for this

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wow, this sounds David Cage levels of misguided!

Edit: Yeah, maybe I'm overreacting. See posts below.

Last edited:

ZakBlade

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
This is looking like a much darker game than I expected. I feel like no one is looking forward to this, but im actually kind of excited for it. The idea that the tone is going to places that we don't typically see for games like this is also interesting.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming she feels that way, and is then transported to the magical world and slowly begins to change how she feels?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I already had low expectations for the writing but seeing there's f-bombs makes me think its gonna be more cringe than I thought

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
A character being changed by the adventure they're on is an interesting character arc?
I mean the specific way on how she feels and why she does at the begining and how the adventure changes her to have a new outlook cuz of that specific feeling would be interesting given how heavy the subject is...providing its written well cuz media often isnt

I dont wanna talk aboht it more specific cuz of spoilers

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
While I can't say I'm super excited, some people really have a bone to pick with this game lmao.

We'll have to wait to see how this is executed, but there's nothing weird or insensitive about what's being described in a game intended for mature audiences. Especially with how narrow, dry and unnuanced PEGI descriptions can be.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Y'know what, disregard my above posts. Rereading the PEGI description, it could still be sensitively done and there might be a place for storytelling like this.

I just don't trust these writers is all.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Will the TWEEST be that she actually committed suicide and fucking got isekai'd?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This getting an AO seems like a huge mistake, approach-wise (like, isekai feels big with teen/anime audiences who now can't purchase this?). But then again, I've not liked anything I've seen and have extremely low expectations for anything the team makes, so I'm in full 'bitch eating crackers' mode.
Fuck!!

It's getting released this October then for real.. so this mean Q1 2023 for FFXVI.
And same :(

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Happy that SE isnt toning it down for a lower rating tbh. Was annoyed about some stuff in FF7R, which I can only assume was that way due to rating.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't think 'isekai villain tells you to kill yourself' sounds particularly sensitively handled is all.

It's perfectly fine to have reservations about how it'll be handled though, but saying it's "David Cage levels of misguided" based on a rating description isn't really a fair comment. The levels of hate this game gets has honestly been the weirdest thing I've seen with a new release in a while.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Every Forspoken thread is stranger than the last.
I still find peoples hostility toward this game to be the weirdest thing.

Yeah its pretty sad to see. Big japanese pub does new IP with black female lead and everyone shits on it like it killed their dog.

I always feel like new IP should be given a chance when they are out (no I am not saying to blindly buy it, but to atleast check how it is on release).

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah its pretty sad to see. Big japanese pub does new IP with black female lead and everyone shits on it like it killed their dog.

I always feel like new IP should be given a chance when they are out (no I am not saying to blindly buy it, but to atleast check how it is on release).
I feel the same. It's never made sense to me.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's perfectly fine to have reservations about how it'll be handled though, but saying it's "David Cage levels of misguided" based on a rating description isn't really a fair comment. The levels of hate this game gets has honestly been the weirdest thing I've seen with a new release in a while.
Yeah, I edited - it was a somewhat kneejerk reaction based on my impressions of the writing so far. Which is personally what my main gripe with the game is.

Whitta especially has a history of bad writing, so some of us bring some negative expectations to the table admittedly. I want to like the game, but yeah. (But he also wrote some of The Walking Dead's first season, so I'm being a little harsh on the guy)

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait, as long as it's ready, really like a lot of what they've shown for this game. Also the magic combat and traversal looks cool along with those awesome visual and particle effects for the spells.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yeah, I edited - it was a somewhat kneejerk reaction based on my impressions of the writing so far. Which is personally what my main gripe with the game is.

Whitta especially has a history of bad writing, so some of us bring some negative expectations to the table admittedly. I want to like the game, but yeah. (But he also wrote some of The Walking Dead's first season, so I'm being a little harsh on the guy)

I wonder who wrote what as there are multiple writers involved afaik. I definitly know Amy and Whitta.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017

Worth noting that he's not the sole writer on the project. There's a team of at least three others.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Dark theme? Inject this in my veins! Now I'm more hyped for the game
The descriptions mentions "in game purchases" which are likely just the digital deluxe upgrade that players can order from the basic version to get access to the prequel expansion.
I hope to god this is actually it

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I already had low expectations for the writing but seeing there's f-bombs makes me think its gonna be more cringe than I thought

As long as it's not Killzone 2 levels of sounding like it was written to impress teenagers I'm sure I can live with it, my reservations with this game are mostly with the open world looking bland. I won't buy at release most likely but I will keep an eye on it

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
No amount of cringing you do at Forspoken is going to be more than the amount of cringing I did over this post. My face is currently collapsing into a cringe-ularity.

Like, fuck, man.