• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a first? I have to double take every time I see it on the store, it feels wild. The game is coming to the Xbox store on Windows on day one (not on Game Pass) and it supports Xbox achievements, Xbox Cloud Saves etc but won't actually hit Xbox consoles until 2025.

Was trying to think of another PlayStation console exclusive with Xbox integration on day one via the Xbox store. Obviously it's just the PC version, same as Steam and EGS (if it's on EGS?) but just seems weird to be able to earn Xbox achievements in it this year when it's such a PlayStation tentpole exclusive thing!

Obviously most games that come to the Xbox Store on Windows are there simply because they're part of Game Pass. You don't really see much stuff come to the storefront as a purchase-only title.

adh780h.jpg

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
This is what happened with Death Stranding, except that was years after the fact obviously and published by 505 on PC.

Even Deathloop and Ghostwire weren't on the Windows Store at launch.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is what happened with Death Stranding, except that was years after the fact obviously and published by 505 on PC.

Yeah, that one came pretty late. Later than other PC storefronts, never mind the PS4 and PS5 releases. This one is obviously a little different being day one!

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Legally speaking I wonder what would happen if Microsoft released a wrapper that let Xbox consoles run Windows games? I'm guessing they would update the EULAs to say they can't run on Xbox hardware or something.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I strongly dislike these moneyhatted timed exclusives. Like so much money and effort put into making sure that people who bought a specific console or are thinking about buying a specific console are going to experience FOMO.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
does it support cross-saves? One day you'd hope the VM layer for series consoles might support W11 licenses and bypass this nonsense. Even better, GPU should come with cloud streaming PC titles.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
does it support cross-saves? One day you'd hope the VM layer for series consoles might support W11 license and bypass this nonsense.

It supports cloud saves. Obviously no Xbox Series X/S version for two years to know if they work on that version too.

Final Fantasy XV, for what it's worth, had a version on Xbox One and on the Windows Store and it supported cross-save between the two (but not cross-purchase, weirdy)

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Two years is really a stretch, especially given this is a new IP that needs to grow fans.

I'm not entirely sure Forspoken will be cross-save with the console. Cloud save tag on the store usually means savegames are stored on Microsoft servers IMO. "Play Anywhere" is 1 license for 2 games between console and PC with full cross-progression. For all other games, my usual go-to strategy is to see if the game has a shared store page between PC and console version. But that won't be possible in this case given the timed exclusivity. In the past, some Square games had joint store pages but other don't have it. This is what people told me in the Game Pass OT when I asked this exact question.

See Lightning Returns for example, it also says "cloud saves" but PC and console versions are different entries on the store:

Kaufen LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII | Xbox

LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII erscheint auf Windows! Genieße das große Finale der Trilogie, komplett mit neuer Welt, spannenden, actionreichen Kämpfen und uneingeschränkten Anpassungsmöglichkeiten. Der letzte Kampf der FINAL FANTASY XIII-Reihe erwartet dich. Wie wirst du deine letzten...

Buy LIGHTNING RETURNS FFXIII | Xbox

Der Vorhang für Lightnings letzte Schlacht fällt. Eine neue Welt, ein neues Kampfsystem und bahnbrechende Individualisierungsmöglichkeiten sorgen auch im Finale der FINAL FANTASY XIII-Trilogie für ein aufregendes Spielerlebnis.Dies sind die letzten 13 Tage. Das Schicksal der Welt liegt erneut in...

Haven't played the games but I'm not convinced you have cross-progression here and would earn achievements on two different lists.

I've been demanding a cross-save tag forever for this reason.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
does it support cross-saves? One day you'd hope the VM layer for series consoles might support W11 licenses and bypass this nonsense. Even better, GPU should come with cloud streaming PC titles.
Y'see, that takes effort, and Xbox loathe effort that might accidentally improve the Xbox App on Windows.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
2 years is such a drag on these moneyhats. One year? At a push I guess. 6 months or less I'm fine with - at that point it's not a long wait, and helps the devs make some money. Anything over a year though and I stop caring about the game entirely. May as well just make it a full exclusive at that point. Not that this game was something I was interested in regardless.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It's always felt like it was a forced package deal with FF16, lol
That's interesting take bc it could have been a deal Sony was forced to take. Lol.

Honestly the game has had shakey previews from the getgo.

I hate to say it but this game could bomb day1. I dont know if the Sony partnership will carry this game. Usually when a game has some Sony involvement, if feels like it's in safe territory as in "the likelihood of Sony fans getting it good to high". I do not have high confidence on this one.

It would have been better if it launched on all platforms tbf.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Well I tried the demo and certainly Xbox users aren't missing much, unless this reviews surprisingly well I can see it repeating Babylon's Fall trajectory

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The contract thing is something I never thought about. That if you were able to play PC games through xCloud it might cause problems with exclusivity deals that keep games off of Xbox consoles. Hm.

lol sad. They did improve it recently. but lol...
The new Xbox App came out in April 2020.
They added a "feature", for the apps window to remember what you resize it to after you close it, in November 2022. 'Nuff said.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It used to be 6 months for timed deals, then 1 year, now 2 years. Why not just fund the game at this point instead of paying to block it? Riidiculous.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
The contract thing is something I never thought about. That if you were able to play PC games through xCloud it might cause problems with exclusivity deals that keep games off of Xbox consoles. Hm.

The new Xbox App came out in April 2020.
They added a "feature", for the apps window to remember what you resize it to after you close it, in November 2022. 'Nuff said.
The app is miles better since April 2020 but ok, I guess.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
I'm absolutely fine with platform holders paying third parties to develop exclusive content, but paying to block releases on other platforms for 2 years is a major dick move. 6 months? Sure, whatever. 12 months? Well, I guess I can wait. 2 years? They're surely taking the piss.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm absolutely fine with platform holders paying third parties to develop exclusive content, but paying to block releases on other platforms for 2 years is a major dick move. 6 months? Sure, whatever. 12 months? Well, I guess I can wait. 2 years? They're surely taking the piss.

I wonder when FFVII Remake will come to Xbox, if ever? Or FFXVI?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
After playing the demo, Xbox only owners should thank Sony for blocking this game from launching on the console. I am extremely disappointed with what I played.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
It's so strange why Forspoken gets a Windows Store release but their other titles have been hit or miss. I wonder if there's some kind of backend deal to make it Play Anywhere in the future. I'm hoping for a Game Pass drop to coincide with the Xbox release once the exclusivity ends.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the demo is the worst game i have played this year or even years,sony wasted a lot of money on this

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed. That is an insane exclusivity agreent. Why even release after two years?

Aug 23, 2018
FTC needs to step in to save Sony from itself

the demo is fucking atrocious. this game has been shown off since the very first PS5 showcase as some tentpole exclusive, too

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Oof at the impressions on here. Probably not gonna bother with this one.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
in the fine print in the PlayStation video. Not to release on other platforms sooner than Jan 2025

Strange

Does that include Steam cause the Xbox page shows jan 2023 and so does Steam

Either ways I guess the price of the game is gonna drop faster than FFXV (I was able to get that for $35 a month after it's release)

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I don't think those listing is specifically for console but the PC. I think MS labels it all Xbox so the cloud save is for PC to PC not PC to Console specifically.