• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
So the Forspoken twitter account posted a mini trailer with Frey narrating.

View: https://twitter.com/Forspoken/status/1556679378892898306

And the narration has not been received warmly. Lots of people calling it out for being cringe, comparing it to the likes of Marvel and Joss Whedon's work. Others have taken to applying the same tone to other games.

View: https://twitter.com/FromHappyRock/status/1557099589190270989

View: https://twitter.com/Zari_Wari/status/1557116040726953985

View: https://twitter.com/funnywes/status/1557413280313901057

So where do you stand? Do you like this kind of humor? Or is it cringe? Why is this style of writing becoming so prevalent and what will it take for it to stop?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty cringe but the parodies are pretty funny. Seems harmless

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, it`s cringe. But it`s not surprising with this game.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this narration comes from an era before we were all as tired and jaded as we are now.

We just apply 'cringe' to everything, when I assume this is just trying to be earnest. Sure, it didn't resonate with me, but it feels like it might be targeted at a 16-25 audience? I dunno.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
maybe if enough games with this writing flop we'll be spared of marvel quips in gaming... someday

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The dialogue has been really off-putting so I'm not surprised it's getting memed on. I think the traversal and combat looks pretty fun but that's about it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'm still day 1 for this game, but this kind of writing is really really cheesy and tired at this point.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I fucking the bad Whedon dialogue here. I enjoyed the jokes and banter in XV cause it felt more sincere while this looks like a fun game but with dreadful writing

all this hollywood writing talent in the game trying to out-snark each other with their "witty" dialogue will never beat the simple joy of watching a guy fall on his ass:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_XITGVbpGk

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the big deal, the 30 second twitter trailer seemed fine to me. I mean, isn't the story a city girl gets transported to a fantasy world? What the hell is she supposed to sound like?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bet your wondering how I got here energy

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The original seems... fine? Isn't the whole basis of the story that she disappeared from Earth and ended up wherever she is? Doesn't really stick out positively or negatively to me. It just kind of is.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
That was super cringe. The game may end up being good but I really do not like the writing/humor I've seen so far. It's trying way too hard to be cool and failing miserably lol.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It's an ad, yo. A rather innocuous one at that. These memes are just as corny as the ad and it feels a bit like a bunch of white dudes piling on a game about a black woman, imo, but y'all have fun.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
So are all the memes forgetting its an Isekai? Cause I don't see the correlation to all the random games people are parodying with, none of them are Isekais.

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
I really want this to be good but goddamn if these things don't kill any confidence. Either the advertisers have no idea how to sell it, or this is exactly how the game is.

Either way, what a mess!

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Teenagers from the city absolutely do not sound like that lol

Sure, and if she was talking like an actual teenager from the city the game would be getting meme'd on harder. Pretty sure we don't want somebody in this game going "This is so mid. That's based" or whatever the fuck the lingo is this month

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It obviously wasn't intentional to take off in this way but almost 2 million views are on the ad so maybe it's worked out for them. I'm sure the game itself will be good but I have no expectations for the writing when one of the writers described Freys walk as being hip hoppy.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Was legit wondering why Joss Whedon was tweeting so clicked any prepared for the worst...

Some of the memes have been legit hilarious.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
The reaction to this game continues to be embarrassing. Like, I'm not about to hand out the Pulitzer for this stuff, but people are out here acting like this is some affront to God, meanwhile…*gestures at 99% of story based games*