• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
I find it incredibly strange this game is sitting at a 68 on Metacritic. It's pretty uncommon for a game of this type to get below 70. I am enjoying it quite a bit right now. Even mediocre tier Tomb Raider or Far Cry games that most agree are tired at this point usually sit at about 74. I am not one to give a fuck about reviews. I never comment on them on here, really. But if you compare this to other games that got mediocre reviews, and were considered critical flops, this game is below those games in terms of Metacritic score. For a AAA game to get under 70, it usually has to be broken. This is not a broken game.

But it is what it is. Maybe I will feel the same way by hour 20.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The game flows so well, I must force myself from playing more. Did two 3 hour sessions today and I'm still in the "just another fight" mood.
Wanted to call it a day, then I unlocked the mine which I tought would be boring, but that thing wrecks so hard. Cast it between multiple enemies and it's christmas time. I'm far from having unlocked all moves/spells but even with my current repertoire I'm having a blast.
I'm also enjoying the open world. It's easy to read and with the way it's structured, I don't find it overwhelming. And although the game is focused heavily on action, there's a good amount of exploration and it's almost always rewarded (I don't use "detective mode" for picking up stuff), giving me that BOTW feel.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
The combat looks interesting, but a lot of reviews mention that you don't get the fun stuff until too late in the game

I definitely see this being the case based on the structure of the story alone sadly.
YES. Lol. What a nightmare. And new detours just keep popping up.

Yeah that quest and the general pacing of those hours after that boss were terrible. I was so glad for it to be over.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got time to play this after my copy arrived a day late and I'm having a blast.

Dialogue is so damn tame and inoffensive and the story itself is actually quite interesting. Really looking forward to playing more later. It's almost 1am and I need to sleep 😩

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Anyone have advice for the spell challenge on scatter shot level 2? It's just "build up power and strike enemies within 60 seconds" which I believe was the same as the first level, but I don't seem to be able to get any progress on it?

Edit: finally found shimmy I was getting worried I'd missed it in an earlier area lol

Last edited:

Smidig

Nov 13, 2017
General tip for everyone, turn on autopickup loot in the accessabilty option. You're gonna need loots of gathering materials if you wanna upgrade gear down the line, and you're gonna skip a lot of materials just by running through them. Save yourself a couple of thousand button presses!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
General tip for everyone, turn on autopickup loot in the accessabilty option. You're gonna need loots of gathering materials if you wanna upgrade gear down the line, and you're gonna skip a lot of materials just by running through them. Save yourself a couple of thousand button presses!

Did this, Gamechanger

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
The more I play, the more the game really feels like the bastard child of Genshin Impact and Soul Sacrifice. It's a really addictive combo.

P.S. Anyone know how best to make Charge knock enemies down? Seems kind of random and it's making ranking it up take forever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's interesting how wrong people were about her trying to commit suicide being how she was going to end up in Athia.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

I did this from the very beginning because I read about that. I'm almost tempted to turn on auto-evade too.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Anyone have advice for the spell challenge on scatter shot level 2? It's just "build up power and strike enemies within 60 seconds" which I believe was the same as the first level, but I don't seem to be able to get any progress on it?

Edit: finally found shimmy I was getting worried I'd missed it in an earlier area lol
You might have figured out already, but you basically need to do 1500 points of damage in the same 60 window. It's one of the harder ones I've seen to pull off since the spell is free aim.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
A little unclear about spellcraft challenges. It seems you can do one for each level of each spell. Is there a benefit to this?
E.g. if I already have scatter shot level 3 unlocked, does doing the challenge for scattershot level 1 help me? Outside of the "purple magic + 1" that it mentions on it, I mean.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
A little unclear about spellcraft challenges. It seems you can do one for each level of each spell. Is there a benefit to this?
E.g. if I already have scatter shot level 3 unlocked, does doing the challenge for scattershot level 1 help me? Outside of the "purple magic + 1" that it mentions on it, I mean.
Been googling this myself to no avail. My initial instinct is that it only powers up that stage of the charge rather than being a flat increase to the spell in general, but I'm guessing people are going to have to do proper testing to figure out.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska

I know for example there's a floating spell and it drains less stamina if it's upgraded.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
How is everyone feeling about performance on the PS5? I can't really get the performance and fidelity combination I would like on my PC setup based on the demo and am considering whether the PS5 version would be a better buy.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
How is everyone feeling about performance on the PS5? I can't really get the performance and fidelity combination I would like on my PC setup based on the demo and am considering whether the PS5 version would be a better buy.

It's pretty smooth using the recommended mode that Digital Foundry says 120hz with ray tracing for a screen that supports VRR.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty smooth using the recommended mode that Digital Foundry says 120hz with ray tracing for a screen that supports VRR.
Yeah I have an LG CX so that's probably what I'd be playing in. Interesting that the RT 40fps mode sounds to be more stable than the standard Quality 40fps mode.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
I really wish there were better aiming tuning options. It's not a massive deal because of the aim assist and the AoE nature of most spells, but aiming in this game feels like shit. Deadzones and acceleration are way, way off.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The dialogue in this is horrible.the cutscenes are also jarring and the overall lightning just leaves a lot to be desired. Very meh so far

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's not great. All of the modes have issues with framerate and performance mode straight up looks like ass. I feel like regardless of the mode the image quality isn't that great. The dithering on the hair in performance mode is extremely noticable. I've experienced frame drops in both raytracing and performance modes using the 120hz setting. I'm loving the game but I would be lying if I didn't say it's both the worst looking and performing next gen exclusive I have played so far.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god .. the tour around the city was the worst part about the game so far lol.

The dialogue seems fine overall. The weird pauses after each person talks makes the delivery of the lines awkward sometimes though.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like when you hold down the button for the spells, they go through the different levels and you can see this reflected in the UI. So I just figured it was making each of those phases stronger.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
You might have figured out already, but you basically need to do 1500 points of damage in the same 60 window. It's one of the harder ones I've seen to pull off since the spell is free aim.
Yikes that one sounds pretty difficult just off the damage numbers! My little shots do like 3-5 damage and the big one like 40... I just unlocked Sila's magic so I'll just readjust to easier spellcraft challenges for now lol. That was a very fun boss fight, not super difficult even on hard which surprised me since I've still been getting destroyed by mutants (though I'm gonna try to start hunting them again with my fire magic).

Also, just to say, whoever put that ogre on top of the guild clear out is a swell Square Enix employee, that shit made me laugh so much for some reason. The dudes take several minutes for me to kill but because of the environment I just kept knocking him down again and again lmao.

Raf901.gif

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Yikes that one sounds pretty difficult just off the damage numbers! My little shots do like 3-5 damage and the big one like 40... I just unlocked Sila's magic so I'll just readjust to easier spellcraft challenges for now lol. That was a very fun boss fight, not super difficult even on hard which surprised me since I've still been getting destroyed by mutants (though I'm gonna try to start hunting them again with my fire magic).

Also, just to say, whoever put that ogre on top of the guild clear out is a swell Square Enix employee, that shit made me laugh so much for some reason. The dudes take several minutes for me to kill but because of the environment I just kept knocking him down again and again lmao.

Raf901.gif
Yeah, it's best to leave it for a while. I only just managed to pull it off myself against a miniboss in one of the Locked Labyrinths that was weak to Purple magic. Definitely the hardest I've seen for completing the challenge.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's not great. All of the modes have issues with framerate and performance mode straight up looks like ass. I feel like regardless of the mode the image quality isn't that great. The dithering on the hair in performance mode is extremely noticable. I've experienced frame drops in both raytracing and performance modes using the 120hz setting. I'm loving the game but I would be lying if I didn't say it's both the worst looking and performing next gen exclusive I have played so far.
Damn. Doesn't sound like there's a best way to play the game unless you have a pretty beefy PC setup. Going to go with PS5 I guess as the issue with textures not loading in was just way too frequent and distracting for me.

Honestly hope this is the last we see of Luminous Engine.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's interesting how wrong people were about her trying to commit suicide being how she was going to end up in Athia.
Yea, I did get a bit to the edge of my seat during that scene, like it definitely wasn't what they were going for but it easily could have been but they did a good job avoiding those vibes. For a second I thought they were gonna go there but more out of fear that they would. I'm glad they didn't though. As it would have been way out of sync with her lines/headspace but a moment prior.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Doesn't sound like there's a best way to play the game unless you have a pretty beefy PC setup. Going to go with PS5 I guess as the issue with textures not loading in was just way too frequent and distracting for me.

Honestly hope this is the last we see of Luminous Engine.

The devs made this open world game in like 3.5 years with a same size dev team as Callisto Protocol's studio, and co-developed both the console and PC port themselves for simultaneous release (Other recent SE big judget rpgs only have to focus on optimizing for Playstation for launch like VIIR and XVI).. I doubt other engines is going to help them make more graphically polished open world games in the same time with the same man-power. This game's had a shorter dev cycle than VII Remake even, and much shorter than XVI.

Probably could have used another couple years for real polish, or put a lot of people on the game like Ubisoft does with their titles. Guerilla has double the amount of devs compared to Luminous Pro when they made Horzion FW.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm also enjoying the banter a lot, Frey and Cuff are pretty funny together. The fade to black scenes happen too much though and feel awkward. As benzy said above, you can definitely feel how this game had a shorter cycle than some of the other big AAA games coming from SE :( I hope they stop doing this to this studio and Square gives the same amount of time as CBU1 and CBU3.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Surprised seeing people say this feels like it had a smaller dev cycle. I mean, maybe not as long as your usual modern AAAAAA game, but it definitely doesn't feel remotely as unfinished and blatantly compromised as FFXV did, aside from some technical polish issues, although I guess that could all fall apart when I get closer to the end.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
The devs made this open world game in like 3.5 years with a same size dev team as Callisto Protocol's studio, and co-developed both the console and PC port themselves for simultaneous release (Other recent SE big judget rpgs only have to focus on optimizing for Playstation for launch like VIIR and XVI).. I doubt other engines is going to help them make more graphically polished open world games in the same time with the same man-power. This game's had a shorter dev cycle than VII Remake even, and much shorter than XVI.

Probably could have used another couple years for real polish, or put a lot of people on the game like Ubisoft does with their titles. Guerilla has double the amount of devs compared to Luminous Pro when they made Horzion FW.
Honestly I've seen two games come out of the Luminous Engine and both of them share very similar performance and fidelity issues. I haven't seen anything out of Luminous Engine that inspires confidence and don't imagine I ever will.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised seeing people say this feels like it had a smaller dev cycle. I mean, maybe not as long as your usual modern AAAAAA game, but it definitely doesn't feel remotely as unfinished and blatantly compromised as FFXV did, aside from some technical polish issues, although I guess that could all fall apart when I get closer to the end.
It's been implied from journalist and insiders that Forspoken is basically almost another Versus situation for them and was changed multiple times - the only difference being the public didn't see whatever it happened to be early on before Tabata. So yeah, I don't see how the game could really have a normal dev cycle and the game not come out with issues as a result of that.

Like I do think there's very questionable choices that are just on them but it also feels bigger than that. I think the studio has a leadership problem too but that's another conversation.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah I'm also enjoying the banter a lot, Frey and Cuff are pretty funny together. The fade to black scenes happen too much though and feel awkward. As benzy said above, you can definitely feel how this game had a shorter cycle than some of the other big AAA games coming from SE :( I hope they stop doing this to this studio and Square gives the same amount of time as CBU1 and CBU3.

Agreed on the fades to black, it's even worse than in Pokémon Violet and that's an achievement

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The combination of dialogue and delivery makes this game a bit tough to swallow. Whether it's Ella Belinska's voice acting or the voice director's capabilities directing voice actors, I'm struggling to enjoy the story so far.

The audio mixing is probably my biggest complaint in the chunk I've played (with headphones). I checked for some audio settings but they're lacking. Everything from her voice to her foot steps on a ladder sound like it's inside an empty, unpadded 5'x5' room.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I've seen two games come out of the Luminous Engine and both of them share very similar performance and fidelity issues. I haven't seen anything out of Luminous Engine that inspires confidence and don't imagine I ever will.

It's weird to make those assumptions though without taking into account what I mentioned regarding dev time and man-power compared to any other recent open world title. Ghost of Tsushima took 6 years to make with a similar size dev team. And even engines known to be a massive headache from devs anonymously talking to reporters can put out good and polished games (Frostbite titles, Destiny's Tiger engine). FFXIII was also a very polished title that looked great graphically when it launched exclusively on PS3 and the devs even came out and blamed the long development time due to its engine. In an era where games are taking longer to make, including indie titles, I think people should realize a lot more factors affect a game's development than just the engine.

View: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1609928279523315713

I think what Luminous pulled off with Forspoken is pretty impressive given the conditions, and the PC port doesn't have shader compile stutter issues that's been plaguing a lot of recent PC games.

arx4f5G.gif
[

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Is the side content worth doing in your opinion ?

Great tip!
Another tip is to turn on Auto change support spell.

Maybe it's only great for early game but it's definitely nice throwing down a trap, grasp, vine whip in seconds.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
The combination of dialogue and delivery makes this game a bit tough to swallow. Whether it's Ella Belinska's voice acting or the voice director's capabilities directing voice actors, I'm struggling to enjoy the story so far.

The audio mixing is probably my biggest complaint in the chunk I've played (with headphones). I checked for some audio settings but they're lacking. Everything from her voice to her foot steps on a ladder sound like it's inside an empty, unpadded 5'x5' room.

I love Frey,
She's one of the most fully realized human characters I've had a chance to play

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Game might go off the rails or stop throwing new enemy types in the frey but 12 hours in and loving the game. Combat is exhilarating and between the enemy counts seen in the gif above and the incredible effects it feels pretty next gen there.

Plus zooming around the open world collecting mana is fun and the game looks pretty good there.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Do I just ignore the spikes coming out from the side of mountains in the beginning? I want to climb dammit :0

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I could get this game for about 46-ish dollar and I am swaying left and right whether to buy it or not, lol. For ps5.

The whole thing looks so weird in an interesting kind of way and you rarely get a magic-focused game like this and I do love me some magic but I must admit all the reviews game me pause.

Well, I did get the platinum for FFXV so this coming from the same team might make that a good indicator as whether in the end I would like the game or not... but man, some of the reviews are pretty brutal.

Man, decisions, decisions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could get this game for about 46-ish dollar and I am swaying left and right whether to buy it or not, lol. For ps5.

The whole thing looks so weird in an interesting kind of way and you rarely get a magic-focused game like this and I do love me some magic but I must admit all the reviews game me pause.

Well, I did get the platinum for FFXV so this coming from the same team might make that a good indicator as whether in the end I would like the game or not... but man, some of the reviews are pretty brutal.

Man, decisions, decisions.
Do it for Noctis.