• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Very curious how things will perform in practice. I guess if the game is as AMD-biased as the specs seem to imply, then my rig (7700x/7900XTX) shouldn't break a sweat, but we'll see.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
An RTX 3070 on 30 fps at 1440p, "Yeah, ok, this is something I do now."

In all seriousness, I'm hoping for the best. My laptop has a 3070 but I plug it into my 1440p monitor. Still no GeForce driver, either.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
This won't be pretty. I foresee bad general performance and shader compilation stutter on top. The console versions are too much of a mess to think they somehow aced it on PC. All I hope for is speedy load times via DirectStorage which would be nice to see.

Wanderish

Jan 5, 2019
Funny enough, I got the game for free with the AMD rewards program for buying an AMD Radeon RX 6600 8GB and I don't think this GPU will be able to run it at 30 fps.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This won't be pretty. I foresee bad general performance and shader compilation stutter on top. The console versions are too much of a mess to think they somehow aced it on PC. All I hope for is speedy load times via DirectStorage which would be nice to see.
It's not even using the GPU decompression features of DirectStorage so I wouldn't expect much.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
fingers crossed that it doesnt have stuttering issues at the very least

i remember when ff15's pc version was turned into a stuttery mess by a patch and it wasn't fixed for over a year

good times that

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Based on the PS5 performance where it can drop to 20fps at 1080p with RT disabled, you're potentially looking at a 4090 just to get a stable 60fps at 1080p with RT disabled if the PC performance is on par with PS5. I think this is going to be a rough one. Godspeed to whoever is the first to try it on Steam Deck.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
An RTX 3070 on 30 fps at 1440p, "Yeah, ok, this is something I do now."

In all seriousness, I'm hoping for the best. My laptop has a 3070 but I plug it into my 1440p monitor. Still no GeForce driver, either.

A laptop 3070 is weaker than a PS5 in raster workloads and that's hitting 20fps at 1080p without RT, so good luck getting a stable 30fps at 1440p without image reconstruction.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Oh yeah, I'm running on PC. Yeah okay, that is something I do now. I do raytracing, kill low end GPUs, I'll probably have a VR mod next.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
A laptop 3070 is weaker than a PS5 in raster workloads and that's hitting 20fps at 1080p without RT, so good luck getting a stable 30fps at 1440p without image reconstruction.

For real? Never knew. It slaps on most games. It maxes stuff like RDR2 and Witcher 3 Remastered. Does HDR impact performance? My monitor doesn't support it.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
For real? Never knew. It slaps on most games. It maxes stuff like RDR2 and Witcher 3 Remastered.

Based on the PS5 performance, this is the most GPU demanding game ever released for a raster workload. Don't feel bad about your hardware, I think everyone is in for a rough time with this one.

The PS5 drops to the 40s at 720p with RT disabled and it's GPU is no slouch in raster workloads. RDR2 isn't in the same ballpark in terms of GPU demands based on the PS5 version.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Based on the PS5 performance, this is the most GPU demanding game ever released for a raster workload. Don't feel bad about your hardware, I think everyone is in for a rough time with this one.

The PS5 drops to the 40s at 720p with RT disabled and it's GPU is no slouch in raster workloads. RDR2 isn't in the same ballpark in terms of GPU demands based on the PS5 version.

There are definitely gonna be some sacrifices, it seems. Raytracing might have to go.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
you are saying your laptop 3070 maxes TW3 remastered at 1440p? With RT?
at what fps, 10?

I'll have to boot it up and check.

Your laptop maxes out rdr2....? Word?

At what resolution and framerate?

I uninstalled it a few months ago but I installed it for the sole purpose of trying that out. It did great.

I have a Legion 5 Pro with a 3070m 16GB RAM for clarity.

I assumed DLSS was doing the heavy lifting.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Witcher 3 is hovering around 40 when I do RT Ultra, but I think I backed down a few settings to get it closer to 60 when I played last.

Edit: Yeah, shadow quality to High rather than Ultra+ gives me 50s (and dips into 40s).

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Witcher 3 is hovering around 40 when I do RT Ultra, but I think I backed down a few settings to get it closer to 60 when I played last.
What about in central Novigrad? =P

My desktop 3080, 32GB RAM, Ryzen 5900X is between 25-35fps maxed out in Novigrad. EDIT: Though to be fair that's ultrawide 1440p, so higher res than you're running at.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
What about in central Novigrad? =P

My desktop 3080, 32GB RAM, Ryzen 5900X is between 25-35fps maxed out in Novigrad. EDIT: Though to be fair that's ultrawide 1440p, so higher res than you're running at.

I haven't made it there. I'm in a field right now - so you're probably foreshadowing my future disappointment.

"Max" may have been a poor choice of words. I definitely tuned it somewhat, but I kept the majority of settings Ultra+.

Well, now my Forspoken hype is even lower. Perhaps I'll play it on the native screen (which is beautiful and way better than my Acer Predator) to eek out some FPS.

Last edited:

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Hoping it runs on the steam deck even though it's well under the minimum requirements.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I haven't made it there. I'm in a field right now - so you're probably foreshadowing my future disappointment.

"Max" may have been a poor choice of words. I definitely tuned it somewhat, but I kept the majority of settings Ultra+.

Well, now my Forspoken hype is even lower. Perhaps I'll play it on the native screen (which is beautiful and way better than my Acer Predator) to eek out some FPS.
To be fair, it's mostly the fault of the devs that TW3 runs so damn poorly in cities with RT enabled. If I play in DX11 mode rather than DX12 I can maintain 60+fps, whereas in DX12 (required for RT) even if RT is disabled the game still runs like ass. It should run well.

The depression in here is that Square's track record for PC releases has been awful lately, and this game doesn't seem even remotely well optimized for console either. So everyone is looking into their magic 8 ball like
giphy.webp

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
So there is no footage or anything that shows the pc version? After watching the digital foundry video, i am more inclined to buy it on pc to see if the lighting qith raytracing is better but it seems like it will be just a console port am i right?

unknown_nut

Sep 12, 2022
So there is no footage or anything that shows the pc version? After watching the digital foundry video, i am more inclined to buy it on pc to see if the lighting qith raytracing is better but it seems like it will be just a console port am i right?
The raytracing is just shadows, the least visually impactful raytracing. Makes sense because it's an AMD sponsored title. Those usually have anemic raytracing.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
i hope they surprise me as this is their second luminous engine game on pc

Alexx

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the PS5 performance where it can drop to 20fps at 1080p with RT disabled, you're potentially looking at a 4090 just to get a stable 60fps at 1080p with RT disabled if the PC performance is on par with PS5. I think this is going to be a rough one. Godspeed to whoever is the first to try it on Steam Deck.

Nah, I don't think it will be that bad. IIRC, PS5 is around an RTX 2070 with worse ray tracing performance and scaling from the 3070 system requirement for 1440p/30, a 3070 should run around 1080p/50 fps accounting only for the resolution change. So a 3080 should easily get a locked 1080p/60.

Also, I think people are going to have to get used to seeing performance around this level for ports from next-gen only games. PS5 is now the reference, not PS4, so hardware requirements will need to scale appropriately. It will be interesting to see how Returnal performs next month on PC.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
A 4090 is 4x the PS5 in rasterisation performance in titles with like for like settings.
untitledyqdee.png

With ray tracing it is easily 7-10x, no joke. Your numbers are quite off in terms of realistic expectations.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
£41.99 on CD Keys (as opposed to £64.99 on PSN/Steam) so might take the plunge.

I'm on a 3070ti/5900X/64gb RAM so should be able to beat the PS5 version, assuming the PC version isn't dogshit.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently a PC demo is coming out today. From Luminous Productions' website:

Square Enix and Luminous Productions also released a free playable PC demo (via the STEAM®, Epic Games Store and Microsoft Store) today. In the PC demo, players will face-off with a variety of enemies and test their fighting abilities with an extensive arsenal of attack and support magic that will prepare them for the high-octane action they can expect to encounter in the full game.

Link: https://www.luminous-productions.com/news/find_your_fight_in_forspoken_available_now.html