• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But that's another issue itself that people keep glossing over: there's been a growing backlash against the writing and dialogue in the MCU for a few years now due to the shitty quips and one-liners. People are growing tired of that style.
im not even refrencing the movies, im referencing midnight suns. its full of them throwing out one liners, and unless I missed it, barly got mentioned.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So two parts to this -- I don't think anyone is saying that the reviewers who reviewed this game are card carrying racists or something, but the idea of unconscious bias is well established. Everyone has it, and it can mean the difference between how negative one's first impression is, which can turn into a sort of self validating lens through which to view the rest of a product. Not saying that this is the difference between "this dialogue is shit" and "this is GOTY", but perhaps the difference between a stance like "this is literally the worst dialogue ever written and it is literally torture" and "I didn't care for the dialogue all that much". Maybe in aggregate across all reviewers it's only a couple points difference, idk. That's not really the issue. If we have extensive studies on unconscious bias and how it can be found in almost any context, I don't doubt that it exists in....fucking video game reviewing -- a domain that combines the exorbitant privilege and imbalance of criticism with the structural and institutionalized baggage of a traditionally white and male hobby.

The broader point is that on social media or other channels this is much more of an outright factor, particularly vis-a-vis how excessively a lot of this game is scrutinized. Like there are plenty of games which are in this sort of 7 or so ballpark that don't get as piece by piece picked apart. A lot of stuff from social media channels gets posted here ITT so there's a sort of feedback loop there as well.

Re: criticism has been rising for this sort of writing style for a while (not a point you made but dotted throughout here), absolutely. But, I mean, multiple things can be true at once.

So overall do you think this game is being unfairly dog piled? Obviously I haven't played the full game, assuming you haven't either, but the reviews I've read all point to the game just being ok or not very good in some respects.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Yeah I think reviewers vs randos needs to be separated. Online is the unwashed masses, you're going to get outright racist hate, you're also going to get people with subtler prejudices that show their worst side when given small clips with minimal context, vs. the heavy exposure of playing the game possibly breaking through a little, and then you're going to get people just going along with the tide those others established. Also that the dialogue is one small part of the whole game and gameplay is something only reviewers can really comment on at the moment. There can totally be a lopsided online reaction even while the review scores are tracking pretty even with Strange of Paradise and High on Life.

For the record I don't recall a single professional review praising SoP's dialogue even ironically. What I heard made it sound like the memed funny absurd moments seem were the rare gem in a pile of drab garbage that did not get a pass from them at all.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think people keep trying to pull this card or hint at this being the reason why critics are going so heavy on the game, and I don't doubt that it's occurring in certain groups and with certain people, but this game seems to have been generally received poorly. It's bizarre to be like "you must like the game because of the main character's representation" and ignore everything that deserves criticism… like the fact Frey's dialogue is written by white people. Or Frey was created by non-black people. It feels more like pandering than a true attempt at representation.
I don't think it's a "card", I do think it's an unfortunate reality in society including the gaming sphere where the "default" main character is typically a white man. And nobody is saying people have to like the game, they are just saying the criticism of the game (particularly the dialogue) is more harsh and focused than it would be if it were a white man delivering the dialogue. There is plenty to criticize with the game, and for sure there are people who just don't like the writing because they just don't like it, but you add that on top of people that really focus in on it like it's just unthinkably bad and it becomes a whirlwind. I say this as a person who thinks the game looks like an Ubisoft style open world game with more style than substance that I wouldn't download if the game was free, it just doesn't appeal to me, but I'm not gonna make it out like the writing is an affront or anything.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
You think reviewers are being more harsh because the protagonist is a poc and female?
There are people that do yes. It is in general because of the Patriarchal Society people have grown up in. It is a valid concern to point out even if it doesn't apply to everyone. And it is unconscious, people don't think about it while making criticizing something in general. It is learnt behavior we have to actively unlearn. The reaction to this while I believe the dialogue is bad, is more aggressive then it would be for something like a DMC donte. And people are more likely because of that learnt behavior to defend something like DMC donte over Forspanken. I have seen this in many discussions on the internet over the years personally. Of course I don't think most people are being malicious. It is just something that we have to examine about ourselves as people and be better about.

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
im not even refrencing the movies, im referencing midnight suns. its full of them throwing out one liners, and unless I missed it, barly got mentioned.

I agree with you 100% and that's a really good example that's not "but the MCU" and the real extreme "if they said this in God of War or Last of Us no one would care!!"

I can't argue with you on that one. The dialogue in that game is super fucking corny.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns of Racism
There are people that do yes. It is in general because of the Patriarchy most people have grown up in. It is a valid concern to point out even if it doesn't apply to everyone. And it is unconscious, people don't think about it while making the review. It is learnt behavior we have to actively unlearn.
I'd hope people, and the reviewers, are actively thinking about that and talking about the game without prejudice of who the main character is. I haven't read or watched any today that made me think they were biased and scoring the game lower because of it.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
So overall do you think this game is being unfairly dog piled? Obviously I haven't played the full game, assuming you haven't either, but the reviews I've read all point to the game just being ok or not very good in some respects.
They are referring to people outside critics when they say the game is getting dogpiled too harshly. It doesn't absolve it from criticism, but when any personality can put up a 10 second clip with the prompt "can you believe the cringe dialogue in this game", and it's just a harmless quip, it does feel a bit try hard. There are conversations about this game going on outside the reviews you watched. You're literally one.

That said, critics can also be guilty of these biases and tell on themselves in their writing with how they talk about black characters. This doesn't necessarily equate a lower score, but where do you think phrases like "exaggerated swagger of a black teen" come from.

Dec 3, 2022
You think reviewers are being more harsh because the protagonist is a poc and female?
mm, I think the point that quips coming from a black women would be read less favorably than the same lines coming from a white dude makes sense based on societal expectations for black women, and that could have something to do with the general sentiments around this game. but I also think all of the dialogue I've seen is pretty awful, lol.

on a related note, this tweet thread about the lack of black writers on the game, and the way those writers chose to portray Frey is worth considering, too

View: https://twitter.com/PikaChulita/status/1617616080616456193

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I can't speak for anyone else, but here's my deal: you generally won't find me in a Marvel thread discussing the dialogue because I think those movies are Product™ slurry, empty and disposable by design—substantially more so than most mass market media. I don't watch them because I don't like them, and I think the assembly line nature of their production is apparent in most facets.

On the other hand, if FFXVI and Forspoken were announced at the same time, and Forspoken's trailer was something to this effect:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ph8D4MkGiI

It might've been the more exciting of the two (for me, at least).

That's why it was jarring and frustrating to see Frey get on some extremely halfhearted "well that just happened" bullshit as we got closer to release and the game shed the Athia name. It's why I care enough to give it a second thought, and why I would still like to see a Forspoken 2, despite dragging it on more than one occasion.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I haven't read any of the reviews and just watched someone stream the first 30 minutes of this game which is mostly cutscenes and it looks genuinely bad. Like PS2-era video game storytelling compared to modern narrative-driven games.

Edit: I watched some of the clips on Twitter and those don't seem as bad to me. They were going for a young edgy personality and the dialogue from the clips fits that. But for real the game starts out badly and gives a bad first impression with the New York part.

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
mm, I think the point that quips coming from a black women would be read less favorably than the same lines coming from a white dude makes sense based on societal expectations for black women, and that could have something to do with the general sentiments around this game. but I also think all of the dialogue I've seen is pretty awful, lol.

on a related note, this tweet thread about the lack of black writers on the game, and the way those writers chose to portray Frey is worth considering, too

View: https://twitter.com/PikaChulita/status/1617616080616456193

Completely agree with this tweet. Like I said earlier, I don't doubt there are some circles and people who are against a black woman protagonist, but when it comes to the dialogue and characterization, it was a room full of white writers and majority non-black artists defining how they thought a black protagonist should look, act, talk, feel, etc. It's all disingenuous.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Fire Emblem Engage is a good comparison. It's also a middling game but the end result is vastly different numerically.

Engages story is bland and stereotypical of the series.
The Somniel home base is more like an annoying chore with little reward.
The support conversations are some of the worst I've seen.
The writing in general is also just kind of bad.

The combat is fun though. The weapon triangle is back , the break system on top of it and Emblems are fun. It's not groundbreaking for SRPGs but it's fun.

The same could be said about Forspoken.

People don't like some of the dialogue that seems very hit and miss, or the overall world design.

But the all magic and high movement based combat is fun, and something like this is new. It doesn't revolutionize ARPGs but it's still fun.

But the end result for both of these games with narrative flaws but have good gameplay are worlds apart.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lol I must be weird because the dialog and story content I've seen in clips looked fun to me and also different. Not a lot of huge RPG games with this sort of humor. Like it looks fresh to me. I'll pick up the game eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching more and more clips of the dialogue makes me even more sure that this game gets piled on so hard for other reasons than its quality of writing.

View: https://twitter.com/BlondeNerd/status/1617625898001526785?s=19

Like this is not that terrible at all. Actually it's quite funny and the delivery is good.

It's an usual writing style for an AAA game but it's not the worst thing ever.

Every dialogue clip I see of this game I like it more and more. Was gonna wait till the weekend but have to buy this shit tonight after all.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Engage is a good comparison. It's also a middling game but the end result is vastly different numerically.

The combat is fun though. The weapon triangle is back , the break system on top of it and Emblems are fun. It's not groundbreaking for SRPGs but it's fun.

People don't like some of the dialogue that seems very hit and miss, or the overall world design.

But the all magic and high movement based combat is fun, and something like this is new. It doesn't revolutionize ARPGs but it's still fun.

But the end result for both of these games with narrative flaws but have good gameplay are worlds apart.

I mean, based on the demo, there are also a good amount of people who don't like the combat here, so it's not surprising that a game that has divisive combat would score lower imo.

Engage's combat is pretty unanimously praised though.

Watching more and more clips of the dialogue makes me even more sure that this game gets piled on so hard for other reasons than its quality of writing.

Like this is not that terrible at all. Actually it's quite funny and the delivery is good.

This is cute. Again, I don't know if Frey was ever really the issue for me. She has some weak lines at times, but w/e. The cuff, or maybe her relationship with the cuff, really rubbed me the wrong way though.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018

You're seriously not comparing the latest entry in the KING of its genre to a game that has gotten mixed opinions on its feel and gameplay from the jump right?

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
These scores are making me more interested in this game, lol. And the fact that it can be finished in around 12 hours is music to my ears, gonna download the demo now.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
So I ended up finishing the game early this morning and put together a review.

"Overall, there is very little in Forspoken worth mentioning. Seemingly a product without any clear direction and with any and every idea allowed to be added, Forspoken is a muddled, boring, toneless mess. Even with a bit longer spent on development, I'm not sure this one could be saved. There's so much wrong with it that development would need to be restarted from the ground up before anything worth salvaging appeared."

https://powerup-gaming.com/2023/01/24/forspoken-review-ps5-final-blandtasy/ - 4.5/10

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
You're seriously not comparing the latest entry in the KING of its genre to a game that has gotten mixed opinions on its feel and gameplay from the jump right?
Engages story and writing are bad and it's combat while fun is nothing revolutionary.

Your very response is a prime example of "is better just because" bonus points applied to another game that honestly should also be a 7.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: sorry for the late reply, thought I had hit send earlier in the day with the post below:
chaosVSforspoken.jpg
LOL

For what it's worth as a dumbass SoP enjoyer, absolutely the game is genuine and sincere, with the memery being a "death of the author " situation that occurred from second zero when the first trailer was revealed for it (which itself is really funny)

Some of the more moving moments with Jack are either where he is catching himself being an ass or applying that lesson and letting someone else say their peace. That wouldn't be anywhere in the script (in my view) if it wasn't sincere from a writing standpoint, especially coupled with some of the Nojima interviews, it's definitely sincere.

As for Forspoken, I'm still hyped to play it, IRL imploded so probably won't have as much time tonight but I'm excited to jump into it (the cringe framing of the opening hours not withstanding, which while I didn't see it for myself I did read the impressions thread regarding that subject and that's the only part of the game that has me going oof/yikes), aside from how they assembled the writer's room and opted not to change it once they found their lead in Ella. I'm pretty sure by the time the game is done I'm going to want to see more Frey down the line and I hope we get that chance.

EDIT2: And yes SoP still gets hate, I saw people hating on the Gilgamesh DLC trailer when it dropped calling it dumb and stupid, heck people complained about the music (which is insane to me but w/e). I don't say this to minmize what I see as an outsized disdain for Forspoken though (because in my view it very much feels like Forspoken is under a microscope), but rather because despite my dumbass enthusiasm for SoP it absolutely didn't sell well because if it had SE would have crowed about it. Even FF fans absolutely hate it.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
There are people that do yes. It is in general because of the Patriarchal Society people have grown up in. It is a valid concern to point out even if it doesn't apply to everyone. And it is unconscious, people don't think about it while making criticizing something in general. It is learnt behavior we have to actively unlearn. The reaction to this while I believe the dialogue is bad, is more aggressive then it would be for something like a DMC donte. And people are more likely because of that learnt behavior to defend something like DMC donte over Forspanken. I have seen this in many discussions on the internet over the years personally. Of course I don't think most people are being malicious. It is just something that we have to examine about ourselves as people and be better about.
I agree with your point and it's not easy to be self aware when you start using prejudiced impulses to judge something. In case of Forespoken I think the criticism for the writing has been valid though. There is definitely a lot worse out there.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Since I did it for Sonic Frontiers, I figured I would do it for Forspoken as well. It was done fairly quickly with me rounding out reviews to the closest 0 or 5 instead of doing it properly like I did with Frontiers, but it's good enough imo. Here's the Forspoken Review Distribution (taken from MC).

UlmhcHa.png

A couple of interesting stats:

• The most common score was 70.
  • The average is 69.
  • The median is 70 (half the scores are 70 or above).
Here's Sonic Frontiers for comparison that I did a while back(after one day of reviews):

2aJCtXB.png

Some fun facts:
  • The most common score was 80.
  • The median is 78 (meaning half the scores are 78 or above).
  • The average is 73.
  • 80% of scores are 70 or above.
It's really interesting to look at reviews this way instead of a simple aggregate. It gives you a better range of opinions.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I think the comedic timing could have been a bit better like a slightly longer pause, but yeah that line wasn't bad at all.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dislike the dialogue and not because the protagonist is a black female it's just that it felt out of place in the type of game I was expecting Forsaken to be. I've only played the demo and beyond the reveal trailer have watched nothing else about that game so it came as a shock when Frey started dropping F bombs, not what I was expecting in a fantasy RPG game and of course the demo provided no real context to Frey's character. I would have disliked it equally if not more if the protagonist was a white male, I disliked that kind of language in GOW.

Seriously? This is the type of dialogue people are losing thier shit over? Jesus. Christ. And yeah, I agree. The pile on isn't just about writing quality, it's something else. and after watching Willow (a show that also got piled on fir its writing.), I'm seeing some similarities...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Since I did it for Sonic Frontiers, I figured I would do it for Forspoken as well. It was done fairly quickly with me rounding out reviews to the closest 0 or 5 instead of doing it properly like I did with Frontiers, but it's good enough imo. Here's the Forspoken Review Distribution (taken from MC).

UlmhcHa.png

• The average is 69.
Here's Sonic Frontiers for comparison that I did a while back(after one day of reviews):

2aJCtXB.png

Some fun facts:
  • The average is 73.
It's really interesting to look at reviews this way instead of a simple aggregate. It gives you a better range of opinions.
Yeah seeing the distribution says a lot more than just aggregate scores. Seems to me the game is pretty decent but lacking some execution leading to lower scores. And pretty much it's an average game.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I don't understand people comparing this game with something that is like, completely unrelated, such as Fire Emblem Engage.

Different game, different team, different circumstances, different history, *ENTIRELY* different genre altogether, etc etc. Like, what? Why would you make a comparison to another thing that is so vastly different in all aspects? Seems like a *massive* reach.

Last edited:

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The hate this game is getting is really dumb, there's cringy dialogue yes but it's really not as horrible as most say it is , at the end of the day , Forspoken is just a mediocre game, nothing more, nothing less. It really doesn't deserve the super hate since it's not really horrible.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

UlmhcHa.png

• The average is 69.

2aJCtXB.png

Some fun facts:
  • The average is 73.
this is a great way of looking at reviews. thanks

something I've seen reviews touch on was the lack of variety in the environment design. 4 areas that are the same aside from the color grading is a mess. sounds like FF15 part 2. like they didn't have time to make proper themes and just cobbled together the assets they had. a snow area, desert, and tropical area in addition to what we got would have gone a long way in making the world more memorable

Dec 3, 2022
Really thoughtful take on the dialogue from Austin Walker: https://www.clockworkworlds.com/post-cringe/?ref=clockwork-worlds-newsletter

I don't think this one is for me.

ha, great piece. was not expecting something from austin walker of all people about this game

You do not need to hit your finishing move in the middle of the ring, get the three count, and then look at the camera and say "you know this is fake, right?"

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Engages story and writing are bad and it's combat while fun is nothing revolutionary.

Your very response is a prime example of "is better just because" bonus points applied to another game that honestly should also be a 7.

Again, a solid amount of people don't like the combat in Forspoken (at least as far as what we've played of the demo), that's a pretty huge difference from engage right there.

Aug 12, 2019
I don't think criticizing the plot or the characters is bad per se. It's valid criticism if the plot or characters didn't work for you because they have no chemistry or their line delivery is monotone, you name it.

Where I draw the line is in this very deliberated practice of taking every small detail, every minuscule thing, every single line cut it up in a tweet and overanalyze it to call it the worst most cringiest thing ever imagined.

The last time I saw this kind of behavior was from Chuds with She-Hulk and Turning Red. That's the level of discourse we're looking at right now.

I think this is ignoring the fact that we've created a standardization of hyper-criticism of things across ALL media and that's how people are increasingly interacting with their entertainment. The long-form hour long YouTube videos that have gotten so popular are built on these incredibly intricate criticisms and they show up for just about everything popular these days. People have made an entire hobby, or hell even careers, out of hyper-analyzing things and speaking in increasing degrees of hyperbole. Chuds do this too in order to "oppose the woke" or whatever the fuck their dumb grievances with a diverse character is, but this also exists well outside of the implicit biases that people are bringing up here as a problem. Yes, those unreasonable expectations for people of color are more often a thing than not too and get thrown on lots of things.

BUT, when people are just sort of talking about this game outside of the obvious chuds being obvious chuds, I don't know how you begin to meaningfully separate an implicit negative racial bias criticism from a criticism that is developed from hyper analyses as a new standard and expected way to engage with media and entertainment. And while it's reasonable to bring that implicit bias up as a source of some criticism, I think some people dive to that particular gut response when these criticisms come up in a way that isn't helpful either. Not to mention this is also a situation where yes, the main character is a Black woman, but written by white people in ways that are more problematic and are going to inspire more intense criticisms as well.

Again, it's fair to bring up implicit biases as a discussion point, but I don't it achieves much for people to assume everyone on ERA or in most corners of criticism that are clearly not the right wing, misogynistic, and racist corners that most people know are doing so from that perspective and not from the other implicit reality of how to engage with media in the modern era.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

This isn't bad TBH. Yeah, some of it is cheesy, but overall it's not as terrible as I thought.

Oct 25, 2017
This game seems to be fairly middle of the road according to reviews. I don't see the exorbitant amount of hate or overanalyzing you seem to see.
I think it's very important you reread the post quoted below again. Secondly, remove the critics out of the discussion, a lot of the points answering you were never talking about them specifically.

Just because people aren't spouting racial slurs, doesn't mean they aren't exhibiting racism in more subtle, unconscious ways, ie; unconscious biases. Embedded within our social structures that allow racism to perforate even without people being aware of it.

This thread on this very site is a perfect example of it:

www.resetera.com

What emotion do you think this character is expressing?

It’s such an oddly blank and soulless stare. The eyes almost seem furrowed enough to express something, but the lower half of the face is just doing nothing. I don’t understand how a company could release key art like this and think that it’s good enough. It’s like they just took the in game...

The sheer volume of games with male/white protagonists that come out with even blanker or more vacant expressions on their promotional material on a AAA scale are endless. But why is it that this poster takes issue with this particular game? It isn't rocket science as to what makes Frey different from most protagonists.

Similarly, how many games are released with similarly bad/middling dialogue, yet the amount of outrage from gamers and online discourse against this game has been extremely out of proportion.

Yes the game can actually be middling and disappointing, but these kinds of games come out all of the time without a fraction of the vitriol. Yet the first female black protagonist's AAA game comes out and there are Captain Marvel/She Hulk/Rey levels of outrage against this game, even on this very forum.
they're talking about how structural racism and sexism influences the way people react to portrayals of women and people of color. unconscious biases.