• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Got it from Eurogamer.

Just one month later, Fortnite Battle Royale has now passed the 40 million players milestone, and last weekend recorded its highest ever peak of more than two million people playing concurrently.

"To put it in context," lead systems designer Eric Williamson told Eurogamer, "some of the folk around the office are saying hey, we could be the biggest Battle Royale game in the western world, which is crazy.

"Some people are saying we could be the biggest and best-played game [full stop] in the western world."

Epic doing a damn good job. The game isn't on Steam, so we don't get numbers, so its good to get some once in a while. I'm sure if they ever went to Steam, the numbers would be even bigger.

They are also adding some more points of interest to the current map, which was really needed.

jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-15-we-could-be-the-biggest-game-in-the-western-world

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Congrats to the team.

These are really impressive numbers, especially the concurrent players stat.

Battle Royale genre is really hotting up. PUBG and Fortnite have over 5m people playing the game concurrently at peak it seems.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, all my D2 buddies have switched to this. May need to get back into this before MHW consumes me lol

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good shit

game is really fun. I'm not a big fan of the building stuff which usually precludes me from ever actually winning but I can typically get to the final 5 consistently and I always have fun so I don't really care.

OT but, man, the first battle royale game on Switch (provided it's a solid game) is going to kill it

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
My friend who has played both Fortnite and PUBG prefers the former due to its building mixed with the shooting and scavenging. It is a good Battle Royale game and best part is that it is completely free.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
It's the most fun I've had playing a shooter online since COD 4, and the devs have set the bar with how much they communicate with the community and continuously improve the game. They deserve all the success in the world.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats. Insane. This game is so much fun. My only negative points are the lack of drivable vehicles, melee combat and the music, which becomes annoying to hear over time.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
My friend who has played both Fortnite and PUBG prefers the former due to its building mixed with the shooting and scavenging. It is a good Battle Royale game and best part is that it is completely free.

I think Fortnite can speak to a different kind of gamer, the same way someone would prefer Forza Horizon versus Forza 7.

Fortnite feels much more arcadey, more action, quickly get in and get out. Plus the aesthetics can appeal to other people as well.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On PSN the stream numbers are 6 times higher than number 2 which is either cod or gta5. So let that sink for a moment .haha

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
They really deserve all the success they find, especially considering how long it seemed Fortnite itself was in development for.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
I think Fortnite can speak to a different kind of gamer, the same way someone would prefer Forza Horizon versus Forza 7.

Fortnite feels much more arcadey, more action, quickly get in and get out. Plus the aesthetics can appeal to other people as well.

That's where I'm at because i love Forza Horizon 3 but i never can get into Forza 7.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, though PUBG has now took my attention away from Fortnite as it's far deeper and more tense.

It's funny though, they spend like 5 years making a zombie tower defense third person shooter thingy with all kinds of insane (probably too complex) currencies and unlocks, and while it sold pretty well, they needed to quick react to PUBG's success to get crazy numbers by copying that game mode. Nowadays nobody seems to care about the original Fortnite, lol.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Epic are doing fantastic work with this game, especially considering it's free. Had no problem dropping some money on cosmetics in support of what they're doing. It's supplied me with too many hours of fun.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to bet the bulk of players are on PS4 since it's free to play, requires no paid online, and no PUBG.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Ii really hope they rethink their gunplay. Make it more predictable and I'll start playing again. BR games <3<3<3

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
My kid just can't get enough of this game. Congrats team! it is a lot of fun and has us both screaming more than we should be...much to the dismay of the rest of the house!

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
It's fun, playing it with some friends over the last weeks. But I vastly prefer PUBG in terms of the actual tension it creates and I actively dislike the building in Fornite. Still, pretty enjoyable.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I feel bad for the team behind the original Fortnite. An experimental mod has overshadowed it so much that nobody knows that it even exist.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way of turning off the building mechanics? I'd play this on my PS4 if you could.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The visuals in this (and Fortnite in general) are totally up my alley. I still haven't played it, but every time I see some footage I'm drawn to it.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game would have died without BR mode. I actually purchased the Save the World mode and literally every achievement is Diamond on Xbox lol. BR in Fortnite is superior to PUBG in a fun factor and polish sense. Epic really nailed this one.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Now that I have both PUBG and Fornite. I can say that I prefer PUBG

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I could get the polish of Fortnite onto PUBG Id be happy. I much prefer PUBG but it runs like ass on my X.

I just cant get into the aesthetic or the building in Fortnite. Not for me.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep... This game is the most popular game on both consoles right now. Definitely surprised me as well when I first learned of that...

Game is extremely popular and it's well deserved... Epic have done a fantastic job with content updates, communication, and fixes.

I started playing the game on PC last month and have already put 60+ hours in with no sign of stopping anytime soon. Just an incredibly fun and unique shooter thanks to the building elements.