• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I thought this was a screengrab from Zelda for a second.

Yeah, the beginner map is nice. I hope the second one is larger and does have more unique houses/structures.

I'd never thought of that but do you know what, they do share a flavour of sorts.

I've updated the images in the post if you want to see a couple more. There's also a bunch of these ruins that are quite cool:

ruins001kzkqs.jpg

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
I love how when I'm getting shot at the game just absolutely fucking refuses to let me build walls to protect my self. It's always fucking red, no matter the terrain.

This game is the very definition of frustrating and lost potential.

PUBG on my X can't come soon enough.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're fixing some of the terrain not letting you build where you should in the next patch anyways.

The most frustrating thing is when you try to throw down 4 walls but one of them is blocked by a random corner of a rock or tree. Last night I panicked and tried to smash the rocks blocking my last wall but it was too late. Someone was already running up. So I said fuck it and I killed us both with a rocket :)

Vote for fortnite for best multi!
It has my vote. Would have went to PUBG otherwise.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Stop playing it then, you've been saying the same since like the week it came out. I'm not sure how a game can be so fundamentally terrible as you've described repeatedly since then but still something you want to spend time in.

God forbid anyone has an opinion that doesn't align with yours.

It's called criticism, and the game needs it.

Deal with it. The game needs a ton of work.

Doesn't mean it isn't fun at times.

Oct 25, 2017
God forbid anyone has an opinion that doesn't align with yours.
It's called criticism, and the game needs it.
Deal with it. The game needs a ton of work.
Except that's not what I said at all. I'm probably responsible for the largest "this is a mess" post on here with regard to Fortnite BR so I'm far from a staunch defender of it. Every post I've noticed from you here and before is just whining about how bad the game is though, from release onward. You just always appear angry and crass and this seems to stem from the game, which is weird when you're still playing it, so I wondered why you were.
Doesn't mean it isn't fun at times.
Genuinely wouldn't have thought you felt that way from your posts, thus mine.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Except that's not what I said at all. I'm probably responsible for the largest "this is a mess" post on here with regard to Fortnite BR. Every post I've noticed from you here and before is just whining about how bad the game is though, from release onward, so I wondered why you were still playing it.

Genuinely wouldn't have thought you felt that way from your posts, thus mine.

The reason I find it so frustrating is because of the huge amount potential it has, but is held back by a shit ton of small issues that are never addressed.

I still really enjoy the fundamentals of it though, and winning is very rewarding. Like beating a boss in Dark Souls.

But still having no projectiles, and still relying on hitscan/rng based damage with ridiculous headshot multiplyers is insane.

On top of many many other issues.

Oct 25, 2017
The reason I find it so frustrating is because of the huge amount potential it has, but is held back by a shit ton of small issues that are never addressed.
I still really enjoy the fundamentals of it though, and winning is very rewarding. Like beating a boss in Dark Souls.
But still having no projectiles, and still relying on hitscan/rng based damage with ridiculous headshot multiplyers is insane.
On top of many many other issues.
They have addressed the issues you're pointing out though, haven't they?

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing more than "we are looking in to it."
PUBG is a month out on Xbox and they're running out of time on that platform to be taken seriously, Imo.

Like is I said, I enjoy it. It just needs work. First and foremost it needs to ditch hitscan/rng bullshit. Asap.
I'm with you on lusting for that change, but can appreciate that it is the kind of thing that takes time. If they do decide to implement projectiles a poor implementation of that wouldn't, imo, be more fun to play than this and would still feel off. I think there's sufficient reason to play one, the other or both as the experience between them is different but you're not wrong that PUBG will draw interest heavily from release onward because of it's anticipation and journey to date, deservedly so I might add.

Thank you as well, I appreciate you breaking it down and apologies if my initial response was too aggressive.

ballisticola

Nov 1, 2017
I love how when I'm getting shot at the game just absolutely fucking refuses to let me build walls to protect my self. It's always fucking red, no matter the terrain.

This game is the very definition of frustrating and lost potential.

PUBG on my X can't come soon enough.

You're acting like it's typical, when it is not.

Anyway, they've now introduced something far worse. FUCKING INSTA-KILLS. The new aim assist is utterly overblown. I've seen and have been kill by it more than enough times in just the last hour. It's almost auto aim now. I noticed it in the lobby when trying out the new sensitivity and it just takes over, turning a fast aim into a virtual lock-on. My two last games have ended where I had the drop, only for them to turn and one shot me. I hope to God it's some kind of server issue.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
I'm with you on lusting for that change, but can appreciate that it is the kind of thing that takes time. If they do decide to implement projectiles a poor implementation of that wouldn't, imo, be more fun to play than this and would still feel off. I think there's sufficient reason to play one, the other or both as the experience between them is different but you're not wrong that PUBG will draw interest heavily from release onward because of it's anticipation and journey to date, deservedly so I might add.

Thank you as well, I appreciate you breaking it down and apologies if my initial response was too aggressive.

It's all good. I probably shouldn't post so soon after dying from said frustrations. It never comes off but anything other than childish.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
You're acting like it's typical, when it is not.

Anyway, they've now introduced something far worse. FUCKING INSTA-KILLS. The new aim assist is utterly overblown. I've seen and have been kill by it more than enough times in just the last hour. It's almost auto aim now. I noticed it in the lobby when trying out the new sensitivity and it just takes over, turning a fast aim into a virtual lock-on. My two last games have ended where I had the drop, only for them to turn and one shot me. I hope to God it's some kind of server issue.

Auto-aim into headshot rng multiplyer damage.

You can be one shot killed with 200 health.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG is a month out on Xbox and they're running out of time on that platform to be taken seriously, Imo.
Being free to play will keep it relevant on all platforms, I think. It's doing fine on PC where PUBG already exists. It differentiates itself enough that someone can enjoy both games for what they offer.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love all the stuff they are adding to fortnite. Bring on more crazy, zany weapons and tools. Helps make it stand out from pubg. But they have got to fix the gunplay on the AR's.

I get the need to have bloom but it's implemented in such a dumb way. Most games that have a blooming mechanic ensure that your first shot is accurate but if you fire too fast it will start to spread out. They need to do that here. It's absolutely frustrating having perfect aim on someone, crouching, and shits not hitting. Meanwhile someone can turn around and spray their ar at you and melt you in 3 lucky bullets because they bloomed in such a way to hit your head for an INSANE crit multiplier.

It's even worse on the goddamn scoped AR's. You have a scope and the gun fires slower. But the bullets don't go where you are pointing.

Because of all this I will take a burst rifle above all others. I think the regular ar is better at close range than mid. I've passed up on the purple scoped ar for a white burst before.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
I love all the stuff they are adding to fortnite. Bring on more crazy, zany weapons and tools. Helps make it stand out from pubg. But they have got to fix the gunplay on the AR's.

I get the need to have bloom but it's implemented in such a dumb way. Most games that have a blooming mechanic ensure that your first shot is accurate but if you fire too fast it will start to spread out. They need to do that here. It's absolutely frustrating having perfect aim on someone, crouching, and shits not hitting. Meanwhile someone can turn around and spray their ar at you and melt you in 3 lucky bullets because they bloomed in such a way to hit your head for an INSANE crit multiplier.

It's even worse on the goddamn scoped AR's. You have a scope and the gun fires slower. But the bullets don't go where you are pointing.

Because of all this I will take a burst rifle above all others. I think the regular ar is better at close range than mid. I've passed up on the purple scoped ar for a white burst before.

There is no real "bloom" though. It's all hitscan and then RNG wether or not you actually hit and how much damage.

The only guns firing actual projectiles are snipers, grenade launder and rockets.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no real "bloom" though. It's all hitscan and then RNG wether or not you actually hit and how much damage.

The only guns firing actual projectiles are snipers, grenade launder and rockets.
Bloom I guess is the wrong word because it implies it gets bigger. You are right.

I don't mind hitscan, I just hate there's no way to control randomness.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't say there is no way to control the randomness. You can say the randomness is still too much, or the way you control it is not implemented well enough. But you can't say you cannot control the randomness because when you're crouched and not moving your first shot is pretty dang accurate, and regardless you can maximize accuracy by mastering the movement system.

We've talked about this a bunch though. Just going to highlight my main concern which is inaccuracy caused by movement. And I think the baseline accuracy should be the blue weapon accuracy, buffing white weapons. I had a whole post on this, so don't take me for thinking the system is perfect. It's not. But I think it's inaccurate to say you cannot control the randomness.

edit: old post about what I'd do to weapon accuracy is prob on old site

Last edited:

ballisticola

Nov 1, 2017
So annoyed at myself. I watched someone build a stair with a jump pad. So I used it, only to find they'd built another. So I used that too, landing in their fort, where I shotgunned them. It was sweet...but I forgot to capture it! Ah well, I still have my solo rocket surfing :)

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Silenced SMG is everything I've been wanting lately. Hate making noise to check bushes.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, my bush check so far has been holding a burst or shotgun and "face checking" straight into the bush. Been able to nab the hiders 100% because I am already way too close for one shot when they choose to move, giving away their presence.

Stealth SMGs will still be appreciated, for ranged bush checks. As for attracting noise... eh, enemy will probably get a shot off considering TTK for SMG.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they finally nailed the performance in this patch. I haven't had a single game with rubber banding or stuttering at the beginning. This is really helping my shotgun game early on.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
So I just finished playing a round of Squads with 3 randoms half an hour ago. I like playing with randoms, since every now and then I'll find someone cool with a mic, and we can friend up and play duos later.

They placed markers at the prison and we all dropped in. Our team got a couple kills, then one of our teammates was killed. He was too far away for any of us to save. He stayed in the match watching the entire game after he died.

We then moved northwest from the prison to the large bridge. Myself and a teammate went across the bridge, the other guy went around it. We met up on the other side of the bridge.

And that's when they both shotgunned me to death.

They looted my stuff while I watched (I had a purple rifle among other things). None of them had mics. I hadn't taken chests or items in front of any of them. There was no warning at all.

So I was pissed. Reported them both. Figured nothing will come of it. And I was about to quit. I was so close to quitting.

But then it hit me.

I'm not out of this game yet.

They killed me with ~40 people left alive. I waited and watched, with my microphone on mute, as they moved toward the ever shrinking circle. And while I waited and watched, I grabbed my iPhone. Opened YouTube. Did a search. And it was there that I found a video.

I watched as my team racked up a few more kills. The timing wasn't right. They'd got the jump on multiple teams. They were good shots. And so I had to wait. Wait for the exact right time.

There were less than 20 teams left when the moment struck. My two remaining team killing teammates were up on a hill sniping. And I switched views between them, I noticed something. It was just for a second, but clear as day. Another team was sneaking up on them from below the hill, and I didn't think that my teammate spotted it.

So I readied my phone. Counted to ten. Held my phone up to my headset, turned the volume all the way up. Unmuted my mic. And then I hit play... on this video (warning: turn down sound):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDJGJ-_YBfA&t=63s

There's only one way to describe the mood of their character models jumping around in circles at the sudden noise: sheer and utter panic.

A few seconds later, the first shots rung out. I'm still not sure if my teammates were firing out of shock, or if the other team had reached the hilltop and opened fire. Either way, the fight was over in seconds. I don't think my team landed a single shot.

I let the YouTube video run as I laughed into my headset. Perhaps it's because I've been listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller every day since Halloween, but I think Vincent Price would've been proud of my laugh. And the best part was, it wasn't forced. It was the most genuine hearty laugh I've had in weeks.

So yeah, team killing sucks. And I hope team killers that get reported actually get punished in this game. I won't be sad at all when it's gone.

But it did have this one silver lining.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the M16 feels like it's actually landing shots now. Dunno what they did.

I thought a shield was supposed to STOP a one shot from bolt actions? Too many times I've been downed with full shield. I know good and well these dudes ain't clocking my head on the move...

Also, the pump has been wrecking me lately.

The rain drops are a cool feature.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought a shield was supposed to STOP a one shot from bolt actions? Too many times I've been downed with full shield. I know good and well these dudes ain't clocking my head on the move...
That's the only way a sniper can down you in 1 shot from full shield though. Has to be a headshot. If they can hit your body, they can hit your head. They just have to aim a little higher :P

Oct 25, 2017
I like how I perfectly timed a grenade for a guy running up the stairs but somehow he gets away unscathed. Pretty sure it bounced where you wouldn't expect it to. Third person camera, eh. Shotgun'd him and got a 70 damage blue marker. Should have been doneso.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I started playing a few days ago after I saw that my brother had downloaded it to my PS4 and now I cant stop. this game is so good! I really hope that it keeps getting updated regularly.

ps. Today I won Solo for the first time and it felt so good, I actually managed to win Solo twice!

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing a few days ago after I saw that my brother had downloaded it to my PS4 and now I cant stop. this game is so good! I really hope that it keeps getting updated regularly.

ps. Today I won Solo for the first time and it felt so good, I actually managed to win Solo twice!

I think it's been getting an update every Tuesday morning since it launched.

This update added a new jump pad that seems really neat. It also transformed some areas of the map.

Last week added the bush consumable which you can hide in and move around. +the Season shop.

Yeah, seems like pretty much every week gets some patch that ranks between a big update like the halloween update which added leaderboards + cosmetics and smaller updates but more than just minor bug fixes usually. Their pipeline for updating this game has been fantastic. A month ago I was having problems running the BR mode on my old pc and now I am getting smooth framerates after this last update.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I just had the most boring win last night in squads lol.
The final circle was a big open field with a couple of trees and a hill. Two teams were in forts at the top of the hill, one was in a little fort at the bottom, and we were just hanging around out of the way. Everyone killed each other until there was just one person on the hill fort left, and they just died to the storm, because I sniped the cover they were hiding behind, and they just decided to put a second wall back up and let the storm take them.

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait ... what? What's this second Battle Royale map you guys are speaking of?
Is there a new free map coming?

EDIT
Nevermind, misread some posts.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the support for the game.

Just add in those zany guns soon and keep tightening up the hitscan/RNG issues.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty excited for silenced SMGs. I hope they replace the crappy ordinary ones.

Game's core still sucks though.

Shields are too important, you cant loot shields (they need to ape the PUBG design here), RNG, insanely stupid headshot multipliers on ARs, and pistols that one shot players and make shields even more necessary, hitscan weapons....

Once they change to projectiles, Ill be incredibly happy, but the shields will always be my biggest design flaw with the game

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the shield issues but so many people seem to be fine with it. But the way they are implemented currently favors people that don't take fights.

That said, did anyone notice an increase in shield potion drops? Last night I had multiple games where I just couldn't carry all the shields I was finding. They were popping out of chests left and right.

ballisticola

Nov 1, 2017
Is it against the rules to post a video with a copyrighted song? If so, is it against the rules to post a link to my Twitter...which may or may not contain this video? :D Not posting it on YouTube, because I don't want to get a strike for my first video :p

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright - This right here, is some next level do nothing sit in a bush gameplay...The brief synopsis
  1. I went to the NW, avoided people, got nothing great out of my looting, first circle was the whole NW, next one is where this video picks up
  2. I run to a bush in the center of the circle to get my bearings, and plan something, but I keep hearing gun shots and can't find them, and I have the 'low ground' and know there are people on the 'high ground'...I can't move
  3. I see forts popping up on top of hills...I can't move
  4. out of nowhere a metal fort pops up in front me..now I really cannot move.
  5. BUT WAIT - the hill top fort guy snips the metal fort guy...still can't move, cause hill top guy will kill me
  6. BUT WAIT AGAIN - hill top guy must decide to move down (circle might have been forcing this) by using the fall but build technique - he's gonna take the fort...NO...I'll be pinned down again...
  7. I see weapons sliding down the hill - he didn't stick the landing somewhere...I move for his weapons, and become a squatter in the metal fort - gather rockets, grenades, orange shit...good time.
  8. 1 v 1 , he has a tree, and guns, I have explosives coming out my ears, and I just let loose and blew up his tree, shot out his walls, and grenaded what was left.

Status
Not open for further replies.