• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Punish skilled players so that casuals can compete is the typical trajectory of most competitive games, yes.
When there isn't really any other path against high skilled players, it's a problem.

I do agree with speed at which structures gain health from your other posts. I'm not saying capping how fast someone can build is the answer, but I don't see why it shouldn't be at least looked at.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I hope they don't mess with the importance of building, other than when it's used for turtling. I was watching a streamer for a couple of minutes and he had no C4 or Stink granades so he had to waste so much ammo (with a SCAR nonetheless) just to try to kill a clearly lower skilled player who was turtling.

A split second of a timeout between replacing walls would do it as some have mentioned here. Just enough to hit one or two shots between replacing walls every time if you aim correctly.

Other than that it's the building that I love about this game and it's the only reason I consider myself now to be a little above average on consoles.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
And Epic continues to cater to the causal audience. Yes, let's continue to nerf the most critical element in your game. Building is the primary reason Fortnite is as big as it is because the shooting mechanics are downright garbage. Take that away and you have a much less appealing PUBG. Have fun with that, Epic. They did the same shit with Paragon and they still haven't learned from it.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see what Epic is planning. One change that would help would be to make it so building pieces only absorb a percentage of damage as they are being built. That would balance ramp rushing.

Oct 25, 2017
Here is what I suggested they do, been my opinion for months now.

1. Buildings take additional damage while being built
2. Low the resource cap from 999 to something more reasonable, this was just carried over from STW and makes no sense to have at 999 for 3 different resources

-This is a 2 prong approach to reducing the effectiveness of building spam. If you're set up before hand then you have an advantage but rebuilding over and over and over becomes obnoxious. It doesn't invalidate building as a strategy at all, it just reduces your ability to sustain build spam.

3. More accurate weapons while moving (I'm also okay with them reducing damage per hit on players)
-This allows for more competition with shotguns and works with the whole building aspect of the game.

Also had an opinion on RPG/GL but I don't remember what it was or if it's still relevant.

edit:
Honestly, I think players put too much deference in the choices the developers made early on. They assume that is the best way things could be just because they already are. They don't consider what things COULD be. And a lot of those decisions weren't even really decisions so much they were just carried over from STW. 999 resource cap for example. Why is 999 where it should be at? I think they should be able to revisit these things (and really every decision since) without the community complaining before they even make a decision.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
If they nerf mats again or go as far to lower the cap for mats then I'm out. You already have to farm a great deal just to have enough mats for a couple of build fights. Lowering the cap for resources just makes it worse. It also encourages more camping.

If I wanted to play a game that's pure shooting then I'd go play PUBG. There's a reason games die off when you begin to punish skillful players in order to reward bad players.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok to not love double shotguns or camp building but at the moment it is viable as fuck. In other words:

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
999 is almost neccessary. You'll easily burn through 300-400 just trying to kill a decent player. Then youll usually get attacked from behind makijg you spend even more. Nerfing that just means you'll kill one team or person and just die to the next person rushing you

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
2. Low the resource cap from 999 to something more reasonable, this was just carried over from STW and makes no sense to have at 999 for 3 different resources
I fully disagree with this. 999 if anything, is too little. In a game I'm likely to spend 3k+ resources in build fights, and most of it in those last several fights of the game against good players. Losing a fight because I don't have enough materials is one of the most infuriating ways to die, especially if I had just spent a ton of materials on a build fight with another good player just before.

If you want to fight against turtling, there should be options to break through it rather than weakening building as a whole.

Personally I think they should give the C4 buff to other explosives -- but reduce their damage on players. If rockets/grenades were only 70ish on players but huge on destroying buildings, they'd see a lot more play. The grenade launcher should also be made less bouncy in that case, since its usefulness is severely limited by the fact that grenades basically bounce like super balls for their first bounce.

3. More accurate weapons while moving (I'm also okay with them reducing damage per hit on players)
-This allows for more competition with shotguns and works with the whole building aspect of the game.

I really wish they had gone through with the recoil model shooting test. But alas.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Looking forward to the changes.

People building an empire state building every time they meet up with each other just to get a shotgun shot to the head is getting really stale.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Looking forward to the changes.

People building an empire state building every time they meet up with each other just to get a shotgun shot to the head is getting really stale.

So you'd rather us aim our AR's at each other and see who gets the right amount of bloom luck? Because that's what the shooting mechanics boil down to. Building is popular because of that.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People die on Switch because they spend more time fighting against the controls than they do other people.

I never was big on the joy cons but damn these things suck.

Deleted member 15848

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished up this weeks challenges in 20v20 and finally unlocked Omega...That mode is still trash BTW.

And Epic continues to cater to the causal audience. Yes, let's continue to nerf the most critical element in your game. Building is the primary reason Fortnite is as big as it is because the shooting mechanics are downright garbage. Take that away and you have a much less appealing PUBG. Have fun with that, Epic. They did the same shit with Paragon and they still haven't learned from it.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well. Epic is straight up gonna ruin the game, I can feel it.

Ziocyte

Oct 27, 2017
So you'd rather us aim our AR's at each other and see who gets the right amount of bloom luck? Because that's what the shooting mechanics boil down to. Building is popular because of that.

I know this post is meant to be reductive as an example, but come on. In exclusively ranged fights where rushing does not occur, the better player usually wins. Aim is a factor, timing is a factor, positioning is a factor. If bloom is seriously that much of a problem that you consider engagements a 50/50 dice roll, I'd argue that is a problem with player mechanics and strategy as opposed to the shooting model.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I know this post is meant to be reductive as an example, but come on. In exclusively ranged fights where rushing does not occur, the better player usually wins. Aim is a factor, timing is a factor, positioning is a factor. If bloom is seriously that much of a problem that you consider engagements a 50/50 dice roll, I'd argue that is a problem with player mechanics and strategy as opposed to the shooting model.

None of which I said weren't, but bloom is a big factor as well. Trying to say it isn't is flat out lying to yourself. Just ask yourself how many times you laser someone in a match. The only true skill gap in this game is the building mechanic because it isn't in anyway reliant on RNG unlike the shooting mechanics.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I hate what this game has become. Pump shotguns, bunny hopping, and insta building massive towers

I enjoyed the game when building was less about ramp rushing, and shotguns didnt dominate. I am hopeful for more variety but the community has become so used to it and the streamers who complain will have the most power, and it makes me think they wont commit to change.

One thing fans love is the fast speed of the game. I actually would enjoy something slower. Remember, variety means more options are viable, not that building or shotguns are not viable. My hope is that I can play the game carrying SMGs and countering building instead of being forced to carry shotguns and get into build battles

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Challenges are not that bad this week. Got the between these three spots and 7 chests in one match challenges done for now. Within a couple days, I should be able to get to Omega.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
i mean if they nerf building but make the gunplay actually not shit rng then it wont be so bad

but for some reasons I dont see em doing that, they gonna make farming even more annoying and keep the garbage rng as is

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
The main change I want to see is less buttons. There are 12 different things I can do while aiming. It makes the game rely to much on the player being able to quickly and correctly select what they want to do, when it should rely more on the ability to aim and strategic movement and building. I feel like they could easily knock it down to only 8 things-just remove the top piece (or make it edits only) and move healing items to their own separate row with a separate button that you can't accidentally scroll to in a firefight,.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017

f7FdEdG.jpg

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
ARs aren't the only other weapon in the game besides shotguns. It only seems that way because of how powerful the building+shotgun meta is.
I'd take anything else to shake that up at this point.

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
Sure better players are going to win, but only up to a certain point. Once both players are good enough at building and good enough at the mechanics to only peek when they have the advantage, AR fights basically become a stalemate.

But AR fights are crap to begin with. They're not fun at all; without building they basically boil down to whoever gets better bloom RNG. It's to the point where if I get 3-4 hits in a row while tracking someone I think "lol I lasered that guy thanks RNJesus" rather than "my aim is on point today". This game is slow enough that your aim is pretty much always on point at mid-range, but bloom makes it a dice roll.

ARs aren't the only other weapon in the game besides shotguns. It only seems that way because of how powerful the building+shotgun meta is.
I'd take anything else to shake that up at this point.

They're the only weapon viable at mid-range.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Pretty much all my kills have come from sneaking around, taking advantage of the terrain, and blowing up tower bases so the whole thing collapses whilst the builder is too busy sniping their opponents to notice.

Any chance that promotes a wider variety of strategies and play styles is a good change.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah bloom sucks and all but it's not the reason we have the ramp rush meta. The power of ramp rushing is the reason we have the ramp rush meta.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was too busy being enraged about the Sony account lock and observing how futile it is to reach level 100. What's the new outrage about?

Ziocyte

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah bloom sucks and all but it's not the reason we have the ramp rush meta. The power of ramp rushing is the reason we have the ramp rush meta.

It's more economical to spend 60 wood and a few shotgun shells on a ramp rush than an indeterminate amount of resources spent in a mid range fort war. Not to mention your distance from kill means you aren't getting mat/ammo replenished if a 3rd party swoops in and engages you mid fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Was too busy being enraged about the Sony account lock and observing how futile it is to reach level 100. What's the new outrage about?

Speculation on what epic will do to encourage more strategies other than build spam and shotguns. They haven't even announced anything solid yet but they're looking into lowering the resource cap from 999 in each resource and they've hinted at making non-shotguns better.

I fully disagree with this. 999 if anything, is too little. In a game I'm likely to spend 3k+ resources in build fights, and most of it in those last several fights of the game against good players. Losing a fight because I don't have enough materials is one of the most infuriating ways to die, especially if I had just spent a ton of materials on a build fight with another good player just before.

You don't use 3k resources in a single fight, there is no need to hold 999x3 resources. How rare is it to even hit the resource cap when it's 999 for each resource... let alone need 3k all at once. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong, but I don't even think the resource cap has played even the slightest influence on how I play the game. I think I hit the cap a few times because the llamas dropped an insane amount. And maybe because I am not a pro player or anything... but really... you need to hold over 3k resources? Because that is the cap right now.

Last edited:

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
Speculation on what epic will do to encourage more strategies other than build spam and shotguns. They haven't even announced anything solid yet but they're looking into lowering the resource cap from 999 in each resource and they've hinted at making non-shotguns better.

You don't use 3k resources in a single fight, there is no need to hold 999x3 resources. How rare is it to even hit the resource cap when it's 999 for each resource... let alone need 3k all at once. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong, but I don't even think the resource cap has played even the slightest influence on how I play the game. I think I hit the cap a few times because the llamas dropped an insane amount. And maybe because I am not a pro player or anything... but really... you need to hold over 3k resources? Because that is the cap right now.

You don't need 3k in a single fight, but might use 1k. And if you and your opponent both use 1k, and you kill your opponent, you're not going to have anything left to fight the next guy with.

I don't need to hold more than 3k resources. I'd just like to be able to hold more than 1k of wood. In fact, get rid of stone and metal altogether -- they're used mostly when you don't have wood. Just make it 3k "resources" and mix them altogether with the same stats.

If solo is all you play, sure.

What else do you use at mid-range in duos/squads? The AR is more powerful in team games because of the increased opportunity to flank, but I'm not about to pull out the LMG at mid-range to deal with someone. If anything, duos/squads makes LMG/Minigun more viable, but at close range. At mid-range you're still going to get sprayed with an AR/sniped using either of those.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, the superiority of shotguns, rockets, and uncapped building are such a dominant play style in the final circle that most other strategies are being drowned out.

as a new player that's supremely casual.... I don't see what the problem with shotgun/rocket/uncapped buildings is... .or rather, I don't see how their could be an alternative... Like the game by design is going to come down to a small circle... which means close combat... which means shotguns are going to be good... why would you not want this to be the case? How are you going to make shotguns NOT the best weapon when you're in a tiny space? It's so weird to read "shotguns in tight quarters" as a meta... like it's not a meta, it's what shotguns are.

same thing goes for rockets and towers... in a small ass circle of course explosions are gonna be good as fuck and what else are you going to do with your building materials in a tiny circle except build upwards?

again, i'm super noob, not good, don't really care much... but from what I've seen the stuff that seems super OP to me is being able to quickly switch between weapons to avoid reload/fire rate limitations and being able to deploy and retract your glider multiple times after using a launch pad or just needing a launch pad to glide at all.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need 3k in a single fight, but might use 1k. And if you and your opponent both use 1k, and you kill your opponent, you're not going to have anything left to fight the next guy with.

I don't need to hold more than 3k resources. I'd just like to be able to hold more than 1k of wood. In fact, get rid of stone and metal altogether -- they're used mostly when you don't have wood. Just make it 3k "resources" and mix them altogether with the same stats.

Here is a big difference between you and me. I don't want to use 1k resources in a single fight. I can't imagine why that should be desirable. Having less resources may force you to play different. That's a good thing to me. Yeah you can blow all your resources on a single fight and if you run out, that is the risk you took. That is far more preferable than being able to spend resources like they're infinite, at least to me. People might think well, why don't you just go all out in a single fight because if you lose you definitely lose. The answer to that I think is simple, do you want to win a single fight or do you want to win the match. And if spending all your resources to take down a single person is a bad move, approach that fight different. And different is really what people want I think.

Anyway, I was curious as to why you want the cap higher, I just disagree.

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
Here is a big difference between you and me. I don't want to use 1k resources in a single fight. I can't imagine why that should be desirable. Having less resources may force you to play different. That's a good thing to me. Yeah you can blow all your resources on a single fight and if you run out, that is the risk you took. That is far more preferable than being able to spend resources like they're infinite, at least to me. People might think well, why don't you just go all out in a single fight because if you lose you definitely lose. The answer to that I think is simple, do you want to win a single fight or do you want to win the match. And if spending all your resources to take down a single person is a bad move, approach that fight different. And different is really what people want I think.

Anyway, I was curious as to why you want the cap higher, I just disagree.
And what if, by using less materials, you're definitely going to lose this fight?

Also, I'm not saying that I think it's good that we potentially spend 1k materials in a fight. I'm saying that that's just kind of how it is right now, and if you want that to change, limiting materials isn't the right way to go about it. Instead, there should be options that are better than spending 1k materials in a fight if your opponent is also willing to spend. You're attacking the problem from the wrong angle: you're pulling out the weed but leaving the roots to the benefit of no one.

Which is why I think they should just buff the hell out of explosives vs. structures and nerf their damage against players. Also more slots. I think we'd have a lot more play variety if we had a couple more slots.

Oct 25, 2017
And what if, by using less materials, you're definitely going to lose this fight?

Also, I'm not saying that I think it's good that we potentially spend 1k materials in a fight. I'm saying that that's just kind of how it is right now, and if you want that to change, limiting materials isn't the right way to go about it. Instead, there should be options that are better than spending 1k materials in a fight if your opponent is also willing to spend. You're attacking the problem from the wrong angle: you're pulling out the weed but leaving the roots to the benefit of no one.

Which is why I think they should just buff the hell out of explosives vs. structures and nerf their damage against players. Also more slots. I think we'd have a lot more play variety if we had a couple more slots.

Resource cap is just one piece of my suggestion pie and I am sure epic is considering more than just a resource cap as well.

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
Resource cap is just one piece of my suggestion pie and I am sure epic is considering more than just a resource cap as well.
I think a short (0.25 seconds maybe, tops) "breaking" animation where you can't place a new piece might be neat. Would really force you to think about moving so you can place more pieces between you and your opponent, and will allow for sure a couple of AR shots through or allow an enemy player to walk through.

Lowering resource caps just seem to artificially limit the top end of being able to build more than anything else. I think if there's a reason not to build it should be because of something your opponent might do to counter it, rather than something as tedious as worrying about running out of mats.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, so much FUD. You'd think Epic was shutting down the servers.

I want to see a new meta and new strategies. I want more things to happen in duels than ramp rushing. I want counters to building that aren't just 'more building'.

Looking forward to it.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep I'm also looking forward to changes. They already did well with the shotguns and rockets.

I like the idea of a single generic material also like someone mentioned. They can and should simplify as much as possible when it comes to stuff like that.

They could even do custom walls. So people could earn different colors or styles of building material.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A battle star away from Tier 96. Almost there. Won't hit level 80 though. Oh well

edit: Week 8 challenges done. Tier 96 reached. Currently at 4/10 battle stars so I should hit Tier 100 when Week 9 challenges unlock

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Saw someone with fully upgraded Omega lol.

At Tier 99 now, ugh so close! Just a couple more dailies or the Suppressed Weapon eliminations challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.