• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This game.

Needed 5 top 12 in Squads, so I queued with my friend so we duoed it. Didn't get any wins, but 3 of those 5 top 12 we were in 2nd position.

Was so bad at shooting in this game until I realized that right click aiming was really bad, especially in close encounters since it slows you down so much. Now I need to get good at building stuff.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Made some massive changes to my experience today. Went uncapped framerate on the Pro and combat pro control scheme. Felt pretty wonderful landing all three bullets with the burst rifle for once.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Made some massive changes to my experience today. Went uncapped framerate on the Pro and combat pro control scheme. Felt pretty wonderful landing all three bullets with the burst rifle for once.
I think you'll enjoy unlocked framerate even more tomorrow as the new patch reportedly gets consoles much closer to 60fps - https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/7q15ah/faster_loading_in_next_week/dsmvjq8/
I think combat pro is a must too, i switched over a week or two ago.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
California
Yes, and it probably doesn't make sense to buy the current battle pass now. There isn't enough time to unlock the good stuff without paying extra.

Catparty? Welcome to 5 months ago, I'm down with dog party now.

I bought it anyway and I like that it automatically unlocked all the tiers I've completed without buying the pass. Was at level 25 non battle pass and now at level 25 in the gold battle pass, even got 400 v coins, gotta grind my way until the end , let's do this

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Do I need to worry about a daily's progress with the server maintenance?
I don't believe its been an issue before with the one exception of when they made changes to a couple of the dailies, as that reset just the ones they made changes too. Though with the scope and size of this patch, it could be different this time.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't believe its been an issue before with the one exception of when they made changes to a couple of the dailies, as that reset just the ones they made changes too. Though with the scope and size of this patch, it could be different this time.
Well, I just went and got the few kills I was missing. This way I won't be worrying about it all day.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how this game is getting so popular.

I enjoyed it for a few days when it came out then was totally done. I try and play a few matches but there just isn't any magic there for me, it's pretty boring up until the very end and the gunplay isn't terrific, I really don't get it.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
It's popular because it's fun.

I'm sure it is I just don't see the appeal personally.

The biggest draw is that it's 100 people together but you don't ever see 95% of the other ones because everyone dies so fast which basically just makes it TDM with a lot of waiting and bunny hopping shotgunners.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just weird how popular it is.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

The biggest draw is that it's 100 people together but you don't ever see 95% of the other ones because everyone dies so fast which basically just makes it TDM with a lot of waiting and bunny hopping shotgunners.

I don't think the draw is the 100 player count, its how damn exciting the final 10 minutes of a match can be. Its really been a long time since i've played something that is so damn thrilling as the finale of a Battle Royale match, and Fortnite specifically with its relatively fast matches and more arcade like approach is just a joy to play, win or lose. I mean, landing, looting, fighting and building is all a blast, but that last 10 minutes is a fucking thrill like few other genres can offer of late.

Not every game is for everyone, but it did take a little while to grow on me and playing with friends really did help. If you're still open to trying it, perhaps give it another go. If you played it around launch its seen quite a bit of improvement with performance, features and content since and is getting a fairly massive patch in about 8 hours.

Nov 13, 2017

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017

Have you played squads or mainly solo? I find duos and squads way more appealing. People are more likely to want to fight in those modes.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
Have you played squads or mainly solo? I find duos and squads way more appealing. People are more likely to want to fight in those modes.

Been mostly playing solo or teams. 90% solo though, never played duo.

Yeah solo is usually me running to the center of the circle and getting top 10 every time without seeing anyone until the very end which is just super boring for me.

I did have more fun with friends because actual gunfights were happening.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you wanna find more action then you need to just roam through his traffic areas and go for the crate drops since other players will likely go for those as well.

Keep track of what big areas the bus flew over... this is where most people will land. Then what you wanna do is roam those areas and catch people moving into the circle as the storm closes in. If you like action then you just have to get better at determining those patterns of player movement. Know where they land, where they're likely to go, and when they're likely to be on the move. Running straight for the middle each time isn't gonna generate much action as you've obviously noticed.

But yea as a BR some down time and slow matches are gonna just happen by nature of the game... It is what it is.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there is an adjustment to shield drop rates coming soon. I feel like the game is too over saturated with them right now.

The over-saturation is intentional. The shields are supposed to be plentiful thanks to the mini shields, so that aggressive play styles are rewarded and there can be better shield diversity rather than the gaping imbalanced situations where some players had 200 HP and others had only 75 HP. The mini-shield update made the game much better because it resulted in enemies carrying shields, and dropping them as loot for opponents who would otherwise be stuck at low health.

----
Im so excited for this update!!

The vanilla map got very boring with how often people chose to go to the same usual spots. The map always felt too repetitive because of such few POIs, despite games still being enjoyable to play.

By first circle, youd end up seeing only like 30 people left. Granted, everybody is going to Tilted Towers, but once the update settles in, we're going to see a lot more diverse games thanks to people landing all around.

Funnily enough, I think the right side of the map would benefit from one new location, or at least some revamps to existing ones. Improvements to the dirt track, and Wailing Woods mostly because in squads, those areas suck hard. Im expecting Salty Springs, Retail Row, Prison, and Tomato Town to still be classic favourites to balance out the west coast POIs.

Tilted Tower is easily going to be the most popular spot, but Haunted Hills and the Shafts sound way too unique to not become favourites too. The new areas bring something the vanilla ones lacked.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with all you've said SecondNature, i can see them doing a smaller second pass on the East side of the map before moving onto a new one. I do really hope we start to hear about them working on new maps relatively soon though as map variety is really important to me. I'd love to see another two maps before the year ends, which sounds reasonable.

There are minor changes and updates to some of the old spots on the West side too (the doors at the back of Mom's in Retail Row is fixed for example), so i'm likely going to explore the old areas for the first few days until things quiet down a bit.

CrayToes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they mentioned whether they are going to address the bunny hopping? It's the worst thing about the game.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Have they mentioned whether they are going to address the bunny hopping? It's the worst thing about the game.
I don't believe they've ever commented on it, i don't think they really have issue with it. I don't enjoy it myself and tend to prioritize silenced pistols over shotguns and try not to let enemies close the gap, perhaps not ideal but i'm just trying to play to my strengths.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maintenance has started, update is 2.14gbs.

Whew, first run on the new version of the map, landed in Haunted Hills, went down to Pleasant then the soccer/football stadium to end in Twisted Towers at 6th place. Some of the areas are completely unrecognizable just by the biome changes. Really seems pretty fantastic, there is some new stuff on the East side, like a new building between the prison and Retail Row.

Last edited:

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Got in a quick game before work, dropped into tilted towers and WHEW is it LIVE

So, much loot SO spicy, SO VERTICAL.

Died in like 5 mins but in that five mins I had a silenced pistol tac shotgun m16 and gold scar with some small shield potions, so it's definitely dense

Can't wait to get home tonight

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
First impression is the west side of the map is a little bit too dark for my liking now...Had to increase my brightness. The steep terrain has also been a pain in the ass to navigate and fight in. I really wish Titled Towers was a little bit further west and the terrain flattened out a little bit in this area in particular.

Need more time with the game post-update though obviously. I barely spent any time in the west before this for obvious reasons sooo....

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Been mostly playing solo or teams. 90% solo though, never played duo.

Yeah solo is usually me running to the center of the circle and getting top 10 every time without seeing anyone until the very end which is just super boring for me.

I did have more fun with friends because actual gunfights were happening.
Drop in spicy spots. Go around the perimeter of the circles and try to fight stragglers. Find a sniper rifle. Get high ground. Make high ground. It's fast paced and very dynamic.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't think it's possible to drop into Tilted Towers without at least another 20 players also dropping there, it's insane. I'm just out here dropping all the way east for that free loot and high placing. In my first game on the updated map there were less than 30 people remaining by the time the circle started to move.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone notice any framerate improvements on PS4 Pro (or base PS4) so far? I'm at work and itching to hear framerate impressions!

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't get the hate against bunny hopping. You expect people to stand still when you shoot them? It's a defensive option just like building walls is.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone uncap their OG PS4 frame rate on the new patch yet? If so, how is it?

I had a flat tire and threw my back out two days ago (but I got to play FN all day at home)...why couldn't my tire and back granted me TODAY as a day of being stuck at home in searing pain (but playing FN) :)

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It is done...I did buy a few levels cause of that 10-6 bundle though(Thanks PvE).
KbM40Lg.png

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This has so little downtime, I love it.

Me leveling up - does it change anything or unlock cosmetic things?

The Battle Pass is where you unlock things, but it isn't a 1-to-1 with leveling up, there's challenges and things that also contribute to the battle pass "tiers." For what it's worth, don't buy into the Battle Pass at this point unless you really want the early loot (tiers 1-35) because it's impossible to unlock all 70 tiers now without paying extra.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone notice any framerate improvements on PS4 Pro (or base PS4) so far? I'm at work and itching to hear framerate impressions!

I'm normally quick to say "I don't see a difference" when it comes to 30v60 and generally tend to favour 30 because I generally find the difference so negligible that I'd rather have the resources spent elsewhere.

That said, when I uncapped the frame rate today for the first time after 110 hours of gameplay, it feels totally different. Pretty solid too.

Status
Not open for further replies.