• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v7-01

Limited Time Mode: Close Encounters
Summary
Close quarters combat with Shotguns & Jetpacks!

Mode Details
  • The only weapons in this mode are Shotgun variants.
    • Jetpacks & Heavy Shotguns can be found in chests & Supply Drops.
    • Other Shotgun variants are spawned as floor loot.

• The Storm moves in more quickly than normal at mid to late game.
    • Typical match length is about 15 minutes.

• Stats are enabled for this mode.
Weapons + Items
  • Infinity Blade
    • This Mythic melee weapon can be found on Polar Peak.
    • Primary Fire delivers a powerful sword slash. It deals big damage to enemies and destroys structures in one blow (75 damage to players).
    • Alternate Fire allows the player to leap great distances, destroying objects in its path. Upon landing, it delivers damage and a knock-up to nearby players (25 damage).
    • The wielder of the sword is also granted additional abilities:
      • An increased pool of max Health and Shields (200 Health/200 Shields).
      • Regeneration of effective Health over time up to max Health and Shields (1 HP per second).
      • An instant burst of effective Health upon elimination of an enemy (50 HP).
      • Increased movement speed (130%).
    • The first player to pull the Infinity Blade from its pedestal will be instantly healed to full Health and Shields.
    • If a player picks up the Infinity Blade, all other inventory items aside from building materials will be dropped.\
    • When the wielder of the Infinity Blade picks up an item (aside from building materials), the Infinity Blade will be dropped.
    • The Infinity Blade will be dropped when the wielder is knocked out or eliminated.
    • Only one Infinity Blade will appear per match.
Gameplay
  • X-4 Stormwing
    • When a plane is shot down, the driver and all passengers of that plane will now take 25 damage from the explosion.
Bug Fixes
  • Speculative fix for players moving after being eliminated.

• Fixed players being ejected from vehicles if they lost the icy feet effect.

Missions + Systems
Bug Fixes
  • Storm Shield Defenses no longer grant reduced primary rewards if the 80% health bonus objective is failed.
Weapons + Items
  • Ralphie's Revenge is returning and will be available in the Weekly Store
    • Accurate and slow firing air rifle that has a massive headshot bonus. Remember to always wear your eye protection!
    • Available from December 12 at 7 PM ET until December 19th 7 PM ET.

Islands

• The Block
    • New 5th Island to build on. Provides the exact block that appears in Battle Royale where your creation could appear.

• Featured Islands
    • Added 4 featured island Rifts. Featured islands will be changed over time as we feature the communities creations. Featured maps can be played the rules are set by the creator. Also, use the featured rifts to enter codes from other creators.

• Island Codes system
    • Use codes to load creations that have been shared with the Island Code system.
    • Initially, only a limited number of players in the Support a Creator program will have access to this feature.
    • Over time we will expand the number of players that can publish islands as we polish this feature.
    • To use a code, go to a Feature Rift and select "Enter Code" and follow the instructions.
    • Post your creations to Reddit, Youtube, Twitch, or any of our other social channels! We may reach out and provide you the ability to publish your creation.

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where respawning on Creative Hub could cause your player to leave the Island.

• Fixed various problems with Island Rifts not functioning correctly.

• Fixed Island Rifts not showing the correct Island name and player count in some cases.

• Fixed an issue that prevented player inventory from being reset when returning to Creative Hub.

• Fixed players appearing to fall through the ground in Replays when teleporting between islands.

• Fixed bug where the same friend's server could appear multiple times in Creative server select.

• Fixed an issue that prevented players from placing building tiles on certain islands.

• Fixed an issue where players would not be able to spawn on your island when building tiles or props were in the way.
Prefabs

• 6 New Lucky Landing Prefabs

• Obstacle Course
    • The Obstacle Course gallery was split into four separate gallery Prefabs: Floors, Walls, Roofs & Stairs and Parts.
    • New props were added to the Parts gallery. Go check it out!

• Indestructible Gallery
    • This gallery contains props that cannot be destroyed by weapons.
    • New indestructible props and building tiles were added to this gallery Prefab.

• A few other Prefabs were updated with new building tiles and props.
Devices

• New: Item Spawner - Drop any item on this device to have it spawn one item at a time during games.

• New: Player Checkpoint Plate - Run across the checkpoint during a game and the next time you die you'll respawn there.

• Player Spawn device can now be customized to spawn only players on a specific team number. The team number is displayed on the plate (except when in the game is in progress.)

• Player Spawn device can now be set to be an Island Start instead of a game start. This can be used to set where players arrive when they visit your island when not in Play mode.
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed issues with multiple devices able to be placed on top of one another.

• Fixed Damage Rails being able to be placed on top of themselves.

• Fixed vehicles not being removed when their Vehicle Spawner is deleted.

• Fixed a problem that could cause devices to malfunction after being saved and loaded.

• Fixed certain devices becoming indestructible after loading your Island on a new server.
Gameplay

• New settings in "My Island" menu:
    • "Starting Health" can now be set to "Invincible".
      • This prevents players from taking any damage on your island.
    • "Building Damage in Game"
      • This can be disabled to prevent island structures from being damaged in game.
      • Has no effect on structures built by players during the game.
    • "Block Building in Game"
      • When enabled, players will not be able to use

• When stopping a game, players are now returned to where they were before the game started.

Bug Fixes
  • Player inventory is now reset when a game is started and also after it finishes.

• Fixed games being called "Minigames" in the UI in some places.

• Fixed eliminated players respawning on the same spawn pad in some cases.

• Fixed the "Down But Not Out" game setting not functioning correctly.

• Fixed players not being able to damage structures in game after editing privileges were revoked by the island owner.

• Fixed a bug where disabling falling damage would not be remembered when loading your island.
Creative Tools + Phone

• Added Collision option
    • Collision can now be turned on and off when moving props.
    • Toggle collision using V (Hold) on a desktop, or D-Pad Left (Hold) on a controller.
    • When collision is off, props can be freely moved through any other object (but not under terrain!)

• Grid Snap
    • Snap now uses better settings for each individual prop. This allows props to align better to the Fortnite world grid.

• Renamed help text for certain actions to be more clear
    • "Pick up" is now "Cut"
    • While holding something, "Copy" is now "Paste"

• Your phone's settings are now remembered as you move between islands, respawn, or play games on islands.

• Vehicles can no longer be deleted while players are using them.

• Added some additional sound effects when toggling options on the phone.
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed props and building tiles being able to be placed outside of the island's saveable area.

• Fixed props sometimes not placing exactly where the hologram preview shows it will when the Drops option was enabled.

• Fixed an issue with grid snap where props would not actually align to the grid when placing them down quickly.

• Fixed various problems when interacting with mirrored building tiles.

• Fixed some issues with placement of props being denied unexpectedly.

• Fixed an issue where props could vanish after you pick them up.

• Fixed some props that were not able to be moved using the Phone.

• Fixed hologram animations not playing on certain props when you pick them up.
Fly

• You can now switch to Fly while your Glider is deployed by double-tapping the Jump button.

• Holding down the Jump button on will now consistently fly upwards, even on a keyboard.

• Improved Fly animations, especially when using items or interacting.

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed Bouncers being destroyed when flying on top of them.

• Fixed certain Devices not affecting respawned players who were eliminated while flying.
Teams

• Players will now be on the same team (and voice channel) when entering a server.

• Players who join a session in progress will now always be added to Team 1.

• Players are now spread evenly between available team spawns when possible.

• Players on the same team will now see team identifiers during a game.

• Removed redundant Team Spawn Pads option.

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed players not all starting on the same team when first entering an Island.

• Fixed players not being on correct teams when starting a game.

• Fixed players being able to switch teams while in the middle of a game.

• Fixed players not being able to switch to specific teams in some cases.
Weapons + Items
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed not being able to stack Port-a-Fortress grenades in Creative.
UI + Social

• Added a new tutorial pop-up to inform users about changing island permissions when another player joins the session.

• Players can no longer join your session in progress when your party is set to private.
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed wrong Creative server being selected in some cases when choosing a server using a controller.

• Interacting with chests and Supply Llamas now takes the intended amount of time.

• Fixed the Creative Inventory not being displayed while skydiving or gliding.

• Fixed issue where wrong elimination counts could be displayed on game-ending scoreboard.

• Fixed the wrong number of players showing next to names in the friend list.

• Fixed friends' servers showing on Creative server select after they become empty.

• Fixed the post-game scoreboard not being able to accommodate 16 separate teams.

• Fixed various issues with friend status in Creative and player counts.

• Fixed being able to access Creative Inventory when in the Creative Hub in certain cases.

• Fixed various problems with in-game tutorial pop-ups
Performance

• Improved the load times of island content when first starting a server.

• To improve server performance, the maximum number of Vehicle Spawners on an island has been limited to 32.

• Reduced memory usage when switching between Islands on the same server.

• Improved performance of particle systems with large numbers of placed traps.
Mobile

• Added a new button that toggles Collision on the Phone.

• Added new states to some creative buttons to make their actions more clear.

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed the "Memory Used" bar being covered up by other mobile UI.

Planes now deal small damage to players in them when destroyed (25 damage) and the Infinity Blade is basically Thanos' Gauntlet: no other weapons and items available when using it, but increased health / mobility. Spawns in the Winter area, only 1 per game.

For the new page.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even gonna log in yet lol. Watching a couple of streams and it's like a cloud of people swarming that sword. It's wonderful.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Planes now deal small damage to players in them when destroyed (25 damage) and the Infinity Blade is basically Thanos' Gauntlet: no other weapons and items available when using it, but increased health / mobility. Spawns in the Winter area, only 1 per game.
I use planes a lot, and welcome this change

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
damage should be higher.

200 shield/HP with regen and you're still able to build and farm up. lmaoo

awful season

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
A few more Wal-Mart Spray Codes:

QUCQA-EW5WF-TFBHK-RWNU5
MWPSW-SWCUG-LB8WL-HMG5X
3BHFN-KCV73-R7CDM-2KTF3
8F7HP-UDWNV-LGDG4-QP2GR
TZXUU-S6TLC-V3HJ3-8LGRH
Q8P94-M98CH-DL6YT-UD58A
SAV5A-WCDLH-UQAF9-LQSZ9
2YCW2-4G72X-TQFTG-J7E32
5KZC5-9LRCS-W9QRV-S8ED8
6KSKV-QQD9H-JEJDP-2C2H8

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I just got my second solo Victory Royale ever(and I've been playing since season 1).

WZDBfGn.jpg

Thanks, Infinity Blade! The final battle was hilarious, it was me jumping around with the sword while a guy was trying his best to counter me with a grappler + pump. Infinity Blade is the ULTIMATE building counter, so in a sense it is extremely overpowered for end-game.

Btw, took the spray code 8F7HP-UDWNV-LGDG4-QP2GR. Thanks!

Last edited:

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
The new sword weapon is pretty much killing Team Rumble for me, great.

People just leave when their bus path isn't on the snow side. Then when it is, if they don't get the sword they just leave the game.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
Pros are NOT happy about the sword being in the winter skirmish qualifiers. Can't say I blame them.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Pros are NOT happy about the sword being in the winter skirmish qualifiers. Can't say I blame them.
Yeah, it pretty much kills the end game build fest, it was hilarious watching the sword guy completely fuck up like half the players left in the final circles though. I think he got something like 7 kills in a minute. Another game the sword guy just destroyed all the building before someone finally killed him and then quickly ended the game.
Edit: found the clip, I was wrong, not a minute, 30 seconds, incredibly balanced.

Last edited:

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why is the sword not its separate mod again? To be honest, I would prefer to see planes have no death damage but with balloon deploy.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, just had some weird shit happen and I'm not sure why. Since the last patch, I've been having weird LoD issues where the map isn't loading in properly for me and it seems like using a plane makes the issue worse since they move much faster than you do on foot.

Anyway, I dropped in Team Rumble and got the sword. I was helping a friend do the challenges where you have to dance at the signs, so we hopped in a plane and got to it. My friend wanted to go for one that's near Fatal Fields, so I started descending into one of the corn fields. The whole time, hardly anything was loading in for me and the corn field was basically just a big yellowish block, but I figured it'd load in eventually. I land, we go THROUGH the ground and end up dying under the map. After wondering wtf happened for a second, we respawned and flew back towards Fatal. I figured I'd lost the sword because I didn't have anything in my inventory, so I pick up some weapons from a nearby open chest. I'd like to note here that upon viewing the replay, I somehow still had the sword even though I myself couldn't see it and it dropped when I picked up the weapons from the chest. Right after I do this, some enemies fly over and grab it. Anyway, for the rest of the match, my friend's and my own characters were tilted like, 45 degrees forward. It was so weird.

I saved the replay just in case because I know they've banned people for using exploits to get under the map, but it was just so bizarre.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I think this update broke my game. Been sitting on the logging in screen for like 20 mins.

Yeah, along with the LoD issue I detailed above, I'm also getting a really stuttery frame rate and I sometimes hear really loud white noise for a split second. The load times seem to have increased, as well. I noticed that until I capped my frame rate to 144, Fortnite was spiking my CPU usage to 100%. Game's crashed twice since the update, too.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ok, so, in practice? The sword isn't so bad. It's not really like Thanos mode. The guy with the sword is completely killable and doesn't have the Thanos long-range laser beam. Losing all your inventory is also a pretty serious penalty in Rumble.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Competitive fortnite is such an abomination even without the sword now...the game has moved on from being a BR to being some sorta sandbox test bed for Unreal Engine. It really just feels like epic is just experimenting at this point.

My kids are even like "dad why are there so many things in this game now". Epic needs to start being careful to not totally screw this up.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so, in practice? The sword isn't so bad. It's not really like Thanos mode. The guy with the sword is completely killable and doesn't have the Thanos long-range laser beam. Losing all your inventory is also a pretty serious penalty in Rumble.
It's fine in respawn modes. It's the1 life modes where it's just not fun to play against and pretty much unbeatable in a 1 on 1 fight, unless you get lucky or 3rd party after someone just heavily damaged them. You can't out build, outrun or damaged as fast as full 400HP opponent can kill you.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the sword is dumb. There's nothing you can reasonably do when they dive on you, since building does nothing and for some dumb reason they can still build themselves if you attack from farther away. And the HP boost means you aren't realistically beating them without help.

This season has been a pretty big miss with me between that and how much I dislike planes...I really don't care much for the respawn modes but I might just start playing them more for now.

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
I may finally jump in and give Fortnite a go tonight. Just the whole building aspect is off putting to me, there is no way I will be able to keep up with experienced people.

Is there a mode without building?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Finally checked out Team Rumble, and meh, I am not really feeling it. I wish they would bring back 50v50. :/

That damn sword too, ugh. Definitely not fun to fight against.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I've been very bitter about the missing 50v50 but I finally gave Team Rumble a chance and it's kinda grown on me, it's not as abysmal as Disco Domination, I guess I'm back to playing Fortnite.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I may finally jump in and give Fortnite a go tonight. Just the whole building aspect is off putting to me, there is no way I will be able to keep up with experienced people.

If you're playing on consoles, be sure to turn on Builder Pro and Turbo Building from the game's settings. BP makes it so that each shoulder button corresponds to a different kind of piece (R2/RT is a wall, L2/LT is a slope, R1/RB is a floor and L1/RB is a ceiling) instead of having to cycle through to the right one and Turbo mode makes it so that you don't have to press a shoulder/building button separately for each piece of a structure, but can just hold it pressed down and it'll build a new piece when you aim at an "empty" space.

You might also want to shorten the time it takes to hold down the Edit button to enter editing mode, and make aiming more sensitive while in building mode as well.

Maybe first focus on gathering materials (wood is the easiest and fastest to get, big trees and wooden platforms net you the most wood). Be sure to try to hit he blue reticle that appears after one or two hits. It will double the damage you do to whatever you're hitting and thus how fast you get material. I try to have at least 700-800 wood and them 200-400 of other materials. I'd recommend landing to somewhere like Lonely lodge or Wailing Woods in your first few games (lots of tree to harvest for material) and just try to gather some material and learn to just do your basic walls and slopes. One useful basic structure to learn is an open box that has walls to your left, right and front and then a slope/stairs inside it. Learn to do one quickly. If you're gonna camp in one for a longer while and not just protecting yourself from an immediate attack from the front, do one behind your back as well to make it at least a little bit harder for people to surprise you from the back.

When you've got that down, learn some basic editing. Like, you can do a hole by pressing the editing button and then pointing at one of the squares in the middle row, turning it grey and them confirming the edit by exiting the edit mode. Only one square. Also learn to do doors (turn off two blue squares, one from the bottom and one middle row) and bigger holes (make it so that the blue squares make an L that is upside down) that you can run through.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

If you have a compatible device, I think players are more casual on mobile than other platforms. I've rarely come across super-duper builders like you see on PC.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
The sword single handedly took away any fun I had watching the Winter Royale. I think that Epic sees the competitive scene only as a marketing tool, but even when you see it as that, the sword took away any incentive to watch. I think people watching these competitive tournaments, even if they're mostly kids/very young, want to see the best players compete on somewhat even grounds, not to see one player destroy 12 others just because he got the sword.

I also think that they had already made significant steps moving away from 70 people sitting in 1x1 in the final circle, but I guess they though it wasn't enough.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If you're playing on consoles, be sure to turn on Builder Pro and Turbo Building from the game's settings. BP makes it so that each shoulder button corresponds to a different kind of piece (R2/RT is a wall, L2/LT is a slope, R1/RB is a floor and L1/RB is a ceiling) instead of having to cycle through to the right one and Turbo mode makes it so that you don't have to press a shoulder/building button separately for each piece of a structure, but can just hold it pressed down and it'll build a new piece when you aim at an "empty" space.

You might also want to shorten the time it takes to hold down the Edit button to enter editing mode, and make aiming more sensitive while in building mode as well.

Maybe first focus on gathering materials (wood is the easiest and fastest to get, big trees and wooden platforms net you the most wood). Be sure to try to hit he blue reticle that appears after one or two hits. It will double the damage you do to whatever you're hitting and thus how fast you get material. I try to have at least 700-800 wood and them 200-400 of other materials. I'd recommend landing to somewhere like Lonely lodge or Wailing Woods in your first few games (lots of tree to harvest for material) and just try to gather some material and learn to just do your basic walls and slopes. One useful basic structure to learn is an open box that has walls to your left, right and front and then a slope/stairs inside it. Learn to do one quickly. If you're gonna camp in one for a longer while and not just protecting yourself from an immediate attack from the front, do one behind your back as well to make it at least a little bit harder for people to surprise you from the back.

When you've got that down, learn some basic editing. Like, you can do a hole by pressing the editing button and then pointing at one of the squares in the middle row, turning it grey and them confirming the edit by exiting the edit mode. Only one square. Also learn to do doors (turn off two blue squares, one from the bottom and one middle row) and bigger holes (make it so that the blue squares make an L that is upside down) that you can run through.
This is possibly the most disencouraging post I've seen even though you are right.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The sword single handedly took away any fun I had watching the Winter Royale. I think that Epic sees the competitive scene only as a marketing tool, but even when you see it as that, the sword took away any incentive to watch. I think people watching these competitive tournaments, even if they're mostly kids/very young, want to see the best players compete on somewhat even grounds, not to see one player destroy 12 others just because he got the sword.

I also think that they had already made significant steps moving away from 70 people sitting in 1x1 in the final circle, but I guess they though it wasn't enough.
I think the planes did more damaged honestly, they were literally pretending to fight each other and just flying in circles. The Sword was just the cherry on top, but at least they were actually competing against that.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Guy asks if there is a mode without construction, gets a wall of text on how to construct faster/better as an answer.
I got the impression that the person just felt a bit overwhelmed by the idea of building so I just wanted to offer some simple tips in how to get going with that. It wasn't THAT much text, considering I covered some essential setting changes, material gathering, basic box structure building, and a couple of useful editing tips... >_>;

Ono

Nov 6, 2017

Imagine grinding for hours in scrims practicing for a tournament that has game changing weapon be introduced on the same day lol that must be infuriating. The planes were also funny watching people just fly around so they could survive till the end.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I got the impression that the person just felt a bit overwhelmed by the idea of building so I just wanted to offer some simple tips in how to get going with that. It wasn't THAT much text, considering I covered some essential setting changes, material gathering, basic box structure building, and a couple of useful editing tips... >_>;

I know, it was actually helpful for me that dont really play Fortnite because of all the building. Someday I will try your tips.

OP
OP
antitrop

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Is there somesort of auto aim in TR on console? or in console in general? My aim seemed a little too good from distance..
Ya, it has aim-assist that will sort of magnetize the reticle to an enemy if you get it close enough. That's standard now, though. I can't even remember the last time I played a console shooter that didn't have aim assist (like... maybe back in the PS2 days).

Status
Not open for further replies.