• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
So I needed one more elimination for the "Eliminate opponents at Pleasant Park or Happy Hamlet" challenge. I landed at Hamlet, grab a shield pot and a shotgun, and run into a guy upstairs. He lobs a sticky grenade on me, so I charge at him up the stairs to try to get a shot. The grenade goes off and I take damage, but the guy gets killed in the blast... completing the challenge for me. Heh.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Finally got my first Victory Royale for season 8, now that's one less thing to fret over.

In a related vein, is it just me or are treasure maps now super impossible to find? Makes the "Find two buried treasures" challenge seem impossible...

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my first Victory Royale for season 8, now that's one less thing to fret over.

In a related vein, is it just me or are treasure maps now super impossible to find? Makes the "Find two buried treasures" challenge seem impossible...

I seem to have the best luck with maps, I found two in one game and got the challenge done in three minutes.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get their storm king pin? I hot glued mine to the front of my PC case

mA047RL.jpg

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I still find it incredibly stupid that one of the trophies is "1000 play with others" which:
Doesn't count sometimes
Most of the time you end up getting matched in a non-quest related area
You end up doing a mission type you don't like
The bonus rewards can be shit
in general, 1000 missions is fucking stupid high

So I barely even touch the feature
Yeah, I like to save my mission alerts for v-buck rewards or transform schematics and the mega alerts for mythic or legendary survivors so i'll usually just leave if I notice it's one of those modes.

I hope they add filters for the play with the others option or just change it so they don't expend cooldowns and don't give you cooldown rewards.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v8-20?sessionInvalidated=true

In v7.40 we implemented a few Pop-up Cup settings as a test in core modes. After monitoring a combination of gameplay, data, and feedback, we've gathered necessary info to conclude this initial test. We feel it has resulted in an unhealthy level of aggressive play, diminishing other viable strategies. The following changes have been reverted in all core modes:
  • 50 Health (or Shield) based on your health when the Elimination occurs.
  • 50/50/50 materials dropped on Elimination.
  • 500/500/500 Cap on materials.
  • Harvest rate increased by 40%
  • That said, these mechanics have proven to be positive in our competitive playlists. All changes above remain enabled in the new Arena Game Mode.
Oh no. I don't like this.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I'm out for a while. That was the best goddamn change they had made in months, in particular the greater harvesting rate + mats on kill + mat caps. I felt like it really pushed people to build and fight and not turtle up. And it's not like everyone isn't still going to instathirst anyway. All they had to do was add in a team respawn function and it would have been perfect. Now it's going to be back to farming longer and people turtling. I'm honestly really bummed out, them adding all of that to the core game modes really got me back into the game.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody was complaining about any of those features they're removing. Epic, why? What feedback and data are they looking at?

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody was complaining about any of those features they're removing. Epic, why?
Not only was there little complaining, most people actually praised the new pacing and gameplay it enabled. It's really a dumbfounding move by Epic to revert this without iterating on it if they find it too strong currently.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
the changes are weird but they are there in arena still so idk... if regular modes go back to being less sweaty im fine with it. will miss the healing though.

wonder how well the ranked mode works

edit: sucks for squad players though

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I do not understand what kind of hard-on do people at Epic have for making gathering materials as boring and lengthy a process as possible. When they make it take so long, it's the worst part of the game, both Battle Royale and Save the World.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
  • We've increased the bandwidth cap for all game modes.
    • This should help with network performance issues across all platforms.

Anyone else noticing significant network performance improvements... for weeks and months right up until last night my ping was floating around 100, but now after the patch this morning my ping is consistently floating around 40, which I have previously never seen numbers like that before!! :D

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I just don't understand Epic's decision process for any changes made in this game.
Removing the health/mats for a kill and mat cap takes away one of the few positive additions they've made to the game over the past few months.
It constantly seems like they are listening to one specific crowd rather than the entirety of the player base.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Not sure how I feel about the reversion. I think at a minimum the material cap should stay to minimize insane build battles and turtling. But as a sneaky camper I don't mind losing the regen on kills.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
They are reverting all of that? Fuck that, I liked it!

Anyway, "The floor is lava" is insane, I love it.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Kinda bummed that the new steampunk pistol is a projectile weapon as it's pretty strong. I play on EU servers because Asian servers are pretty dead or they're all low leveled.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Every now and then i'll hop back on and do something like this. lol

But then i'll get killed in a build battle by a soccer skin and be humbled real quick.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand Epic's decision process for any changes made in this game.
Removing the health/mats for a kill and mat cap takes away one of the few positive additions they've made to the game over the past few months.
It constantly seems like they are listening to one specific crowd rather than the entirety of the player base.
Yeah, they are listening to the "building sucks, engaging in fights in a shooter sucks, why can't I just camp my way to victory?" crowd. ;<

Like, I don't even see how these material limits & health/shield & mat refresh prevent multiple styles of play. Yes, it makes more aggressive play more viable & pushes some people to engage in fights more on average, but you can still cowardly hide on top of trees or in bushes for the whole game if that's your jam.
Every now and then i'll hop back on and do something like this. lol

But then i'll get killed in a build battle by a soccer skin and be humbled real quick.

Soccer skins are the fucking worst, lol.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone else noticing significant network performance improvements... for weeks and months right up until last night my ping was floating around 100, but now after the patch this morning my ping is consistently floating around 40, which I have previously never seen numbers like that before!! :D
I'm the opposite, since last week's patch been getting packet losses and ping spikes.

Even worse after today's patch.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
The pirate themed map in StW looks really good. I got a Sea of Thieves vibe from it, and as usual the voice banter from the new event is top notch.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm the opposite, since last week's patch been getting packet losses and ping spikes.

Even worse after today's patch.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I was playing again this evening thinking maybe this morning was a fluke or something, but no, my ping is now a consistent upper 30's to low 40's, which are just insane numbers from my previous experience.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the lag in this game is getting ridiculous. Several times me or team members have had, like, 2 second lag between trying to build something and shit appearing. Or nothing builds at all.

And fuck this reverse of the kill heals & mats and mats gathering. So shitty having to waste a longer time gathering materials and get less. And people have gone back to camping more since engaging in fights is not a good strategy unless you are Tfue level player.

Man can they just vault the fucking AK already? That gun is pure fucking shite.
It's good for people who have RNGesus and/or Lag-o-freeness on their side. The rest can't hit shit with it.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they should've reduced the farm rate, but I can understand why they've removed health on kills. For a good player it became way to easy to kill duo's and entire squads as you got matts and health along the way, which means that in solo's it became way to easy for good players to move from player to player with almost no risk.

I've seen it with the people around me that went from just above average players that won 1 out of 50 games and were motivated to play, to become players that feel like they have no chance at all since the change happened because the good players will always have material and health. As a result they have been playing less and less or only the LTM's for challenges and this is the data Epic is looking at.

So how does this change possibly help? First it reintroduces some risk for those players (you may get no health back from a fight) and the reduction of farm rate makes the mode a lot less fun for them as it forces a slower pace. Now those players can go to Arena if they want that play style. It will hopefully lead to less good people in normal solo's and increased win chances for everybody else. There'll still be people that like pub stomping, but my guess is there will be less.

Personally I hope they increase farm rate, but most of all I hope the people that stopped playing solos will try it out and feel like they have a chance at winning again.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I was playing again this evening thinking maybe this morning was a fluke or something, but no, my ping is now a consistent upper 30's to low 40's, which are just insane numbers from my previous experience.
Funnily enough after posting that, when i came back to it after having it turned off its been much better with only one instance of getting packet loss.

Maybe my PS4 just needed restarting after the update or something but hopefully it stays running well.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they should've reduced the farm rate, but I can understand why they've removed health on kills. For a good player it became way to easy to kill duo's and entire squads as you got matts and health along the way, which means that in solo's it became way to easy for good players to move from player to player with almost no risk.

I've seen it with the people around me that went from just above average players that won 1 out of 50 games and were motivated to play, to become players that feel like they have no chance at all since the change happened because the good players will always have material and health. As a result they have been playing less and less or only the LTM's for challenges and this is the data Epic is looking at.

So how does this change possibly help? First it reintroduces some risk for those players (you may get no health back from a fight) and the reduction of farm rate makes the mode a lot less fun for them as it forces a slower pace. Now those players can go to Arena if they want that play style. It will hopefully lead to less good people in normal solo's and increased win chances for everybody else. There'll still be people that like pub stomping, but my guess is there will be less.

Personally I hope they increase farm rate, but most of all I hope the people that stopped playing solos will try it out and feel like they have a chance at winning again.
They could adjust it for solo. Like, only getting 25-30 health and 30 of each material back per kill. But 50 really isn't much in duo or squads, since it's not always guaranteed the ones taking damage in a team are the ones getting the kills, so it's still easily possible that one or two team members will be left with fairly low health. Or they could make it so that kill-heals only get you up to 150 total health + shield.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
For fuck's sake Epic. Is it so hard to make mission activation switches work in Save The World? I can't progress in the pirate event beyond the second quest because this shit is so broken it doesn't work at all. We go to the pirate ship and nothing happens. This has happened 5/5 times now. I had a similar problem in one of the Valentine's day quests where you had to build that huge catapult. Had to do it three times because it didn't create the outline of the structure to build on the first couple of times.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Team Rumble is so much less enjoyable without the health regen on kill. I get why they took it out of BR, but Team Rumble is exactly all about being aggressive, the heals on kills turned Team Rumble from a mediocre gamemode to a great one. I honestly don't really feel like playing the game anymore because of the change.

Perhaps making the heal on kill a heal over time like the slurp would've been a better way to address the aggressiveness Epic seems to have a problem with. Whatever the case may be, heal on kills needs to return to at least Team Rumble, there's just no way defending it not being there in that mode.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Team Rumble is so much less enjoyable without the health regen on kill. I get why they took it out of BR, but Team Rumble is exactly all about being aggressive, the heals on kills turned Team Rumble from a mediocre gamemode to a great one. I honestly don't really feel like playing the game anymore because of the change.

Perhaps making the heal on kill a heal over time like the slurp would've been a better way to address the aggressiveness Epic seems to have a problem with. Whatever the case may be, heal on kills needs to return to at least Team Rumble, there's just no way defending it not being there in that mode.
My wife is causal as fuck and hates fighting most of the time, but she's only been playing the arena mode the last few days due to the changes. We both want the healing back in Team Rumble.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I played last night for the first time since the update and I forgot all about it and wondered why my aggressive play style wasn't as rewarding, now I remember the shield change lol

why does it take a billion years to update games on the epic launcher. wtf is it doing?

I know right, it takes ages....it never maxes my connection(220Mbps) unlike steam and pauses for what seems like hours

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me..what have they done to shotguns?

I'm now getting one shot killed every fucking time, they are so powerful

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just annoyed because everyone else is always one-shotting me or getting these 150+ hits from 50 meters away with a shotgun while I shoot someone straight in the middle of their body or upper body/head from 2 meters away and do 37 damage with a legendary pump. It'd be nice to have the same shotguns as everyone else does (as in, lag sucks ass). -_-

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, they've been buffed to where any pump aside from green can kill you with or without full shields

Wait, really?

That's fucking insane

I'm just annoyed because everyone else is always one-shotting me or getting these 150+ hits from 50 meters away with a shotgun while I shoot someone straight in the middle of their body or upper body/head from 2 meters away and do 37 damage with a legendary pump. It'd be nice to have the same shotguns as everyone else does (as in, lag sucks ass). -_-

You too huh? Glad it's not just me that's happening too.

Status
Not open for further replies.