• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I am terrible at fortnite because I cant build. What should I do?
Play the respawn large team modes. It's less frustrating to learn while playing those since you usually get materials faster per tree/fence/whatever and you don't do collecting for nothing if/when you die at your first enemy in 5 seconds.

Learn to collect materials (hit the blue reticle that appears!) Don't worry too much about the kind of materials, just learn what are good, quick sources & locations of different materials and just try to have a combined number of at least 500-600 materials at all times (I try to have at least 500-600 wood + 200-300 bricks and metals each).

Trees, trucks and bigger rock formations give you a large(r) amount of materials per destructed thing but there are also some smaller things like fences that, while they might only give 10-15ish mats per piece, they are so quick to destroy that they accumulate pretty quickly. And then there are things (especially metal ones) you absolutely shouldn't waste your time on unless you are desperate for some mats (i.e. early game and you landed at a place you saw other players land to as well, it might be worth it to wreck pretty much everything within a house, just to have as many materials as possible to at least be able to put up a few walls and to get to the top of a building).

Once you've got mats, at first just focus on basics like getting a wall up quickly to the direction you are getting shot at from, and to build stairs quickly to get over steep slopes/high obstacles/on top of a house. Once those go well, learn to do things like a quick shelter box (walls in at least three directions and stairs within them to let you peek around a bit) and you can start maybe trying to push players and get into build battles.

When it comes to build battles, getting the upper hand and blocking the other player getting a higher ground is key. Easier to aim downwards than running with your aim up high. So if someone is rushing you, be aggressive rather than just backing away and being on the defensive. Once you've got higher ground, be patient. You're in the more advantageous position, don't give that up but peek & shoot strategically and block any tries from the enemy trying to get past you (good headsets help with this, you need to be able to hear where your enemy is).

And while getting to high ground, don't just rush forward while spamming stairs only. You'll be really easy to shoot down. At the very least do stairs -> wall (underneath the piece of stairs you just built) + maybe a floor piece as well if you've got mats to spare. Repeat that until you're up to the other player. It won't help you a whole lot but it can give you just those extra 2-3 seconds to connect to the other player's structures vs only having a single stair piece that can be destroyed easily & falling down and being at a disadvantage.

Don't build a full cube just to turtle up in it. It's ok for a quick, brief pause to gather your thoughts in intense moments, but good players will know how to fuck you up within one if you try to set up shop in one, so you're just delaying the inevitable and not learning to properly battle against good builders. If you find yourself accidentally in one, learn how to get out of one quick (if it's enemy's pieces or wood or other materials that were just placed & still building, you can just hit them once or twice, if they've been there longer or your own pieces, edit a hole). If an enemy pushes him-/herself into one, it might be time for a quick, well placed spike trap. Or if you know exactly where the enemy is coming from, it might be a good idea to line your shot, wait until they break your wall and then blast them to oblivion with a shotgun the nanosecond the wall breaks.

Once you got the hang of building basic stuff, start to learn editing those parts. Learn how to quickly make small holes into floors that you can shoot through or bigger holes you can move through. It can be quicker to break walls by just hitting them with the pickaxe but that makes a loud sound, which you might not always want, so editing a bigger hole to run through can occasionally be preferable..

Ultimately there is no other way to learn but by just learning by doing. You will suck at first but if you keep at it, you'll become better.

Ps. Make sure you have builder pro mode in your control settings. It ties different parts to different buttons instead of having to cycle through parts. Much more intuitive and faster.

OP
OP
antitrop

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
That challenge is all sorts of glitched in ways I don't think they really even know how yet.

I went into Disco last night and shot the same person with 5 different weapons and only got credit for 4/5.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Worked for me yesterday on PS4 in Disco. I even died a few times (that is: I didn't get all 5 in one life). The counter was all screwy, and sometimes it wouldn't register hits, but once I got all 5 it gave me credit. Note that I think it has to be 5 different types of weapons. So if you have a blue AR and then get a green AR those two wouldn't count as different. I did an AR, smg, shotgun, rocket launcher, and silenced pistol.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Play the respawn large team modes. It's less frustrating to learn while playing those since you usually get materials faster per tree/fence/whatever and you don't do collecting for nothing if/when you die at your first enemy in 5 seconds.

Learn to collect materials (hit the blue reticle that appears!) Don't worry too much about the kind of materials, just learn what are good, quick sources & locations of different materials and just try to have a combined number of at least 500-600 materials at all times (I try to have at least 500-600 wood + 200-300 bricks and metals each).

Trees, trucks and bigger rock formations give you a large(r) amount of materials per destructed thing but there are also some smaller things like fences that, while they might only give 10-15ish mats per piece, they are so quick to destroy that they accumulate pretty quickly. And then there are things (especially metal ones) you absolutely shouldn't waste your time on unless you are desperate for some mats (i.e. early game and you landed at a place you saw other players land to as well, it might be worth it to wreck pretty much everything within a house, just to have as many materials as possible to at least be able to put up a few walls and to get to the top of a building).

Once you've got mats, at first just focus on basics like getting a wall up quickly to the direction you are getting shot at from, and to build stairs quickly to get over steep slopes/high obstacles/on top of a house. Once those go well, learn to do things like a quick shelter box (walls in at least three directions and stairs within them to let you peek around a bit) and you can start maybe trying to push players and get into build battles.

When it comes to build battles, getting the upper hand and blocking the other player getting a higher ground is key. Easier to aim downwards than running with your aim up high. So if someone is rushing you, be aggressive rather than just backing away and being on the defensive. Once you've got higher ground, be patient. You're in the more advantageous position, don't give that up but peek & shoot strategically and block any tries from the enemy trying to get past you (good headsets help with this, you need to be able to hear where your enemy is).

And while getting to high ground, don't just rush forward while spamming stairs only. You'll be really easy to shoot down. At the very least do stairs -> wall (underneath the piece of stairs you just built) + maybe a floor piece as well if you've got mats to spare. Repeat that until you're up to the other player. It won't help you a whole lot but it can give you just those extra 2-3 seconds to connect to the other player's structures vs only having a single stair piece that can be destroyed easily & falling down and being at a disadvantage.

Don't build a full cube just to turtle up in it. It's ok for a quick, brief pause to gather your thoughts in intense moments, but good players will know how to fuck you up within one if you try to set up shop in one, so you're just delaying the inevitable and not learning to properly battle against good builders. If you find yourself accidentally in one, learn how to get out of one quick (if it's enemy's pieces or wood or other materials that were just placed & still building, you can just hit them once or twice, if they've been there longer or your own pieces, edit a hole). If an enemy pushes him-/herself into one, it might be time for a quick, well placed spike trap. Or if you know exactly where the enemy is coming from, it might be a good idea to line your shot, wait until they break your wall and then blast them to oblivion with a shotgun the nanosecond the wall breaks.

Once you got the hang of building basic stuff, start to learn editing those parts. Learn how to quickly make small holes into floors that you can shoot through or bigger holes you can move through. It can be quicker to break walls by just hitting them with the pickaxe but that makes a loud sound, which you might not always want, so editing a bigger hole to run through can occasionally be preferable..

Ultimately there is no other way to learn but by just learning by doing. You will suck at first but if you keep at it, you'll become better.

Ps. Make sure you have builder pro mode in your control settings. It ties different parts to different buttons instead of having to cycle through parts. Much more intuitive and faster.

These are really good tips. Thanks. The funny thing is I know how to edit and stuff like that but when it comes to build fights I am too slow. Its like I am always one step behind.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
These are really good tips. Thanks. The funny thing is I know how to edit and stuff like that but when it comes to build fights I am too slow. Its like I am always one step behind.
Build fights are very advanced, I still avoid them mostly. Try to carry some balloons or grappling hook when someone goes ham building, let's you avoid the most if 8t oftentimes.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
Building fights are all well and good until someone truly gets on top of me, at which point I'm just stumped and kinda just sit underneath them until they get bored.

OP
OP
antitrop

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Building fights are all well and good until someone truly gets on top of me, at which point I'm just stumped and kinda just sit underneath them until they get bored.
I am all too happy to drop back to the ground and pickaxe their shit out and reset the fight.

At first I was intimidated by good builders, but the more I played, the more I realized a lot of people over-build to compensate for a lack of gun skills and if you just aggressively attack their build, they're harmless in a face-to-face 1v1. There are a lot of people that need to be spending half their Playgrounds practice time in Kovaak's Aim Trainer instead, if you know what I mean.

Then sometimes you get the soccer skins that can shoot just as well as they can build and you're screwed there.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's also important to just keep your composure. Having a pump shotgun means you can always win a fight, a lot of people just get impatient and drop down to you which plays right into that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably average 10 kills a game if I knew how to properly build and edit quickly. I was struggling last night to even do why set of 90's. I'm getting the hang of Ramp/floor/Wall. Editing is what separates you from the rest though.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of same, especially bad if they still stay fairly aggressive. Aiming up is such a shitty position to be in if the other player keeps darting around above you.

Though I try to not be too passive even then, unless I'm low in health and need healing.

the more I played, the more I realized a lot of people over-build to compensate for a lack of gun skills
*cough*
<_<
>_>

Yeah, in the end the only thing that helps with that is practice and putting yourself into positions where you have to Git Gud or die. I sucked for months after beginning and I'm still not a particularly good overall player. I have my moments but my shooting is very uneven. Sometimes I mnage perform a 180 in the air jumping down a tower and get a kill mid-air while falling down, sometimes I jump around and my aim is all over the place as if I'm holding a controller for the first time.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Started playing last season on Switch. Got around 50 Solo wins.
Switched to PS4 in December. So far, no wins. Feels bad, man.

To be fair I was unemployed and playing all day last season. Plus, I guess, player skill levels were lower on Switch.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Hey guys, I haven't played in a couple of seasons.

I want to get the battle pass just so I can get the Lynx skin (lvl 1 skin). But I doubt I'll be able to unlock all the levels of it before the season ends. Can I still unlock those skin levels after season ends? I think I heard they added this a few seasons back but I'm not sure.

(Not talking about battle pass tiers, specifically the level 1 skin's progression)

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I want to get the battle pass just so I can get the Lynx skin (lvl 1 skin). But I doubt I'll be able to unlock all the levels of it before the season ends. Can I still unlock those skin levels after season ends? I think I heard they added this a few seasons back but I'm not sure.
You should be able to -- I unlocked Dire (the werewolf skin) from last Season, and I'm still accumulating experience points and getting more of his skin levels in the current season.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, seems like everyone has streamer Mode turned on these days... streamer[xxx] killed so and so is all i see in the kill feed.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Bloody grenade damage challenge is the last I need this week and taking me longer than I care to admit. Basically doing team rumble and stocking up on stink bombs where possible but my last game I wasted 3 of them and never found anymore.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloody grenade damage challenge is the last I need this week and taking me longer than I care to admit. Basically doing team rumble and stocking up on stink bombs where possible but my last game I wasted 3 of them and never found anymore.

The struggle is real.

I lucked out and ended up with 9 grenades in disco Dom an came across a team of players and just lobbed grenades at them all and managed to luck it with hits.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Such a cheap win lol. Got shot at the beginning without heals, so rifted outta there and hid until I was top 3 (had to outlive opponents for daily). Managed to shoot the second to last player out of a plane and no-scoped the last one while he was aiming at me lol.

But, a win is a win!

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I used Dynamite for that challenge. You can charge it up in your hand so that they instantly explode when thrown and guarantee a hit. I think suicide runs also count.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Hand grenades are one of my favorite items, so that was an easy challenge to do just by playing normally. Only need to hit with one twice

OP
OP
antitrop

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
This glitched damage challenge is so annoying. I hit the same person with 5 different weapons and then it says 2/5. Fffuuuu

EDIT: I do love the One Shot mode, though

And a 7 kill dub, best game mode

lqr9SDW.png

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I consider myself lucky if I can even scratch someone stationary with a sniper rifle, and you people are doing 800-meter shots as easily as yawning. What madness is this?!

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
Do the event tickets carry over to the next event? I have over 7K snowflake tickets and can't be arsed to buy anymore Holiday llamas because I got everything I wanted out of them.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Do the event tickets carry over to the next event? I have over 7K snowflake tickets and can't be arsed to buy anymore Holiday llamas because I got everything I wanted out of them.
I think they get turned into gold.

Better use them and just turn everything you don't need into schematic & hero/survivor exp.

Status
Not open for further replies.