• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Anti material charge isn't in your abilities anymore, instead you have to use your pickaxe's heavy attack. For me (PC) it's right mouse button with the pick axe equipped. And it seems to share the same cool down as the ground pound.
Well that's super cool of them to tell about this anywhere. Is AMC available for every character now?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I skimmed through it but the patch-notes are so fucking long (especially this new one, since it had an insanely lengthy break-down of the new hero system) that a one-line remark is easily missed. Like, a one-time "hey, Anti-Material Charge now works with L2 and doesn't waste a skill slot, give it a try!" pop-up message at some poinit when using Outlander for the first time would have been appreciated.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I skimmed through it but the patch-notes are so fucking long (especially this new one, since it had an insanely lengthy break-down of the new hero system) that a one-line remark is easily missed. Like, a one-time "hey, Anti-Material Charge now works with L2 and doesn't waste a skill slot, give it a try!" pop-up message at some poinit when using Outlander for the first time would have been appreciated.
Or you just read the patch notes. You missing easily available information is not on Epic. It's the first change they mention for Outlanders and especially if you notice something changed in-game, your first thought isn't to check the patch notes? Or fora?

At least you know now, get punching~

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I played my first games this season yesterday and Friday night. I really, really love that there are no planes anymore. I had 4 13+ kill squad games yesterday, never had more than 12 kills before so that felt pretty unreal. The ability to change the inner deadzones of the stick really made a big difference for me, I feel I can finally aim. Really wish they would've made that option available earlier.

Are there any players here with an Elite controller that would be interested in my key binds? I use all 4 back paddles though, so that may be hard for most, but I think I've pretty much perfected the setup right now.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, while I lament the fact that Outlanders got a nerf, the class had it coming. I think my Teddy and shock towers did more work than I ever did. I was the top damage dealer in 90+% of my matches while I was letting my teddy/turrets do most of the work. Still, I do think that they nerfed them a little too hard.

I suppose you are right. I relied on that build for most missions and didn't play as anything else unless it was for a daily quest, but last night I played with soldiers and constructors and ended up having a decent time. I used outlanders mostly to prolong weapon life when shadowshard / obsidian ore was hard to come by but I don't have that problem now. Still, it was fun being a wrecking ball without firing many bullets. Good times

I also like that constructor's B.A.S.E. is now in the floor trap wheel rather than taking up an ability slot. And if you have 2 Steel Wool band heroes in your support slots, then the base is a large cluster of speakers blasting their music lol.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Week 1 done. Wasn't expecting to get the vehicle damage challenge already, but I ended up minigunning a enemy with a cannon who didn't let go ha ha. Actually had a pretty amusing 50s match with that weapon.

Speaking of cannons, it is quite fun blasting out to wherever with one

Anarkin

Oct 27, 2017
2 of my furthest sniper shots back to back. :)

xe1LiLF.png

6EatpDq.png

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The 'Fortnite is too hard now' thing that's been growing is one of the most interesting conversations happening in gaming right now that like no one outside of the community even knows it's happening.

It's been fascinating watching Epic try to respond to their game having a largely accidental insanely high skill ceiling while also trying to hold on to what they have.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even about difficulty. I encounter plenty of idiots who probably spent 50 hours learning how to turbo build but have no game sense and can't aim for shit so it's easy to just let them build and wait for a good opportunity or let them waste all theirs mats lol.
The encounters are just not very enjoyable. I kinda prefer team rumble for this reason, there's more variety and you can practice your actual shooting, still getting to build a bit.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
I think ridiculous build fights are fun, even if they do sometimes feel completely pointless

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even about difficulty. I encounter plenty of idiots who probably spent 50 hours learning how to turbo build but have no game sense and can't aim for shit so it's easy to just let them build and wait for a good opportunity or let them waste all theirs mats lol.
The encounters are just not very enjoyable. I kinda prefer team rumble for this reason, there's more variety and you can practice your actual shooting, still getting to build a bit.

It might not be about difficulty for you, but this has been a growing thing for like 6 months now and we are the point where almost every day there is a new top voted post on the subreddit about how the game is too hard now because of the skill discrepancy. I'm not saying it as a negative thing because I think the build battles are the defining feature of Fortnite, but it's just something that's real and happening is that casual players are being turned off the game because they can't get kills anymore and Wins are becoming a far off fantasy.

Here are some from just the last week: link and link

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a difficulty problem for newcomers. But skill isn't just building, you can be decent at building and win solo victories by using your brain instead.

The problem isn't that the ceiling is growing higher, it's that the skill floor is getting higher too.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I feel like Epic really needs to think about skill levels now if they want to keep people playing. My own interest is starting to wane because I just dont have the time to practice.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
So, are those red vending machines just going to be a thing in Team Rumble now? Infinite gold guns for free.

Also, did they change the accuracy of assault rifles when ADS? They feel like fucking lasers now and I barely ever used them after my first few months in the game. The crosshairs barely expand at all, even at full auto.

______

You know, thinking about it, I don't really play Battle Royale in Fortnite anymore, for the most part. I play Team Rumble outside of the few dailies that require me to play in a different mode. You can still get wins though and the introduction of the moving circles makes that a lot easier. Of course, I do feel like you have to basic build knowledge now compared to a year ago. You don't have to build a stairway to heaven, but you should know your basic blocks and edits and be able to pull them off quickly, even on the ground.

I mean, I've won a few games already this season and, when thinking about them, I've actually had to play pretty creatively. A lot of balloon and jump pad escapes and blocking people into the storm to get that health damage near the end.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Finally got the vehicle damage challenge. Had to camp near a cannon in Team Rumble and waited damn near all match for someone to finally ride the damn thing

Deleted member 15848

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that you get 50hp for every elim the thirst killing has gotten crazy.

Epic needs to hurry up and bring in those respawn vans.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
My biggest issue with Fortnite is the amount of effort required in nearly every engagement. Seems like most people playing late-game are pretty good at the game and therefore it can create engagements that last for minutes, which is fun but then you will get immediately 3rd partied and killed which makes it not so fun.

They tried to fix this with changes to the mat cap and the health per kills but it can still be exhausting and honestly, I don't have the time nor patience to do that anymore.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silly suggestion but they could make low/medium/high speed building tiers. High speed being current build speed, medium speed has some delay between builds (half a sec ?) and low speed has like a second delay on building.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Silly suggestion but they could make low/medium/high speed building tiers. High speed being current build speed, medium speed has some delay between builds (half a sec ?) and low speed has like a second delay on building.
So with low speed you can't even build a ramp up a hill anymore? That sounds real dull.

Ziocyte

Oct 27, 2017
We need new / better tools to counter turtling. Everyone can build 1x1s with roofs now. Explosives aren't even that useful against it. The best solution is stink grenades, but those are relatively rare. I'm decent at editing but, honestly, that is a last resort. It leaves too much up to chance to open an edit with a person point blank with a shotgun on the other end (unless you are a .001% player like Tfue who is just on a whole other level).

Also, there is no change Epic could execute that would make the skill gap more tolerable for new players and either a) not piss of a ton of the player base and b) not fundamentally change the nature of building. The game's most unique asset is also a huge design problem.

Last edited:

Ziocyte

Oct 27, 2017
We need new / better tools to counter turtling. Everyone can build 1x1s with roofs now. Explosives aren't even that useful against it. The best solution is stink grenades, but those are relatively rare. I'm decent at editing but, honestly, that is a last resort. It leaves too much up to chance to open an edit with a person point blank with a shotgun on the other end (unless you are a .001% player like Tfue who is just on a whole other level).

Also, there is no change Epic could execute that would make the skill gap more tolerable for new players and either a) not piss off a ton of the player base and b) not fundamentally change the nature of building. The game's most unique asset is also a huge design problem.

Uhh... whoops. Meant to edit and quoted instead.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

Also, there is no change Epic could execute that would make the skill gap more tolerable for new players and either a) not piss of a ton of the player base and b) not fundamentally change the nature of building. The game's most unique asset is also a huge design problem.

I thought that SMGs being able to get some bullets through turbo building as well as stuff like the stink bomb was a good counter to turtling, but they ended up nerfing the SMGs and the 'spray meta'. It made sense to me because good builders would be able to get out and keep on the move, and once you've stopped and turtled it should be a disadvantage to winning that fight. However nothing beats the wall replace and edit but like you said it has it's own disadvantages too as people expect it now and just ready their shotgun.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I noticed that the game seems to default to "Fill" option when you launch the game. Bit annoying, and I ended up dealing with some annoying mics when I forgot to change it. Is there a way to mute someone's mic?

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too many try-hards in team rumble. You're a fucking loser if you go into that mode and actually use your mics to coordinate, it's a fun mode.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Can't. Somehow team rumble displays 20 players but some of your squad aren't included.
Open mic shouldn't be available in the game in the first place anyway
Right, I do remember certain times where a player's profile didn't show up in the start menu. Open mic really sucks. I can't recall how many times I've heard kids and their families making a ruckus in the background. At the very least you can disable voice chat completely but that's more of a half step than anything.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Fun rounds. One I died in because of insane lag (I peeked and got killed when I was already CLEARLY behind cover for a second or two and no shot should have been able to hit me) and the second because they can't fucking fix the sound system in this game and I didn't hear someone running 2 meters away from me. No footsteps.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/patch-notes/v8-01

BATTLE ROYALE
What's New?

Buried Treasure

Follow the map to uncover hidden loot across the island! Find the X that marks the spot and get to digging.

Gameplay

• Increased the angle at which you can slide down terrain without taking damage from 65 degrees to 75 degrees.
Limited Time Mode: Slide Duos

Summary

Ice blocks on everyone's feet, infinite ammo Grapplers in everyone's inventory - a recipe for a slippery good time!

Mode Details

• Friction greatly lowered.
  • Max run speed greatly raised.
  • Falling damage removed.
  • Infinite ammo Grapplers added to everyone's inventory.
Weapons + Items

• Buried Treasure
    • It's a map that is used to track down buried chests on the map.
      • Chests contain a trove of legendary loot.
      • X marks the spot! The chest must be dug up using a pickaxe.
    • There is a limit of one map held at a time.
    • Legendary Rarity.
    • Can be found from Floor Loot and Chests.
  • Reduced Infantry Rifle availability
    • Reduced the chance of receiving an Infantry Rifle from Chests from 14.41% to 13.39%
    • Reduced the chance of receiving an Infantry Rifle from Floor Loot from 2.41% to 2.24%
  • Reduced Clinger availability
    • Reduced the chance of receiving Clinger's from Chests from 9.42% to 5.52%
    • Reduced the chance of receiving Clinger's from Floor Loot from 1.27% to 1.02%
  • Vaulted
    • Bottle Rockets
Events

• New Tournament: Gauntlet Solo Test Event & Gauntlet Duo Test Event
    • We are running a new type of tournament as a test of several format updates.
    • Extended Hours: This event consists of a single session which lasts until March 9th 00:00 GMT.
      • Due to the extended hours for this event, Duo players will each have their own score that remains when changing partners.
      • Note: Due to the playlist featuring matchmaking based on your score, the quality or availability of matches may differ at certain times of day.
    • Updated Scoring:
      • Match Limit: None
      • Bus Fare: -2 Points
        • Each match played will reduce your score by two points in the form of a 'Bus Fare' at the start of the match.
        • Tournament scores cannot go into the negatives - at the end of a match, if a player has a negative score for the tournament then their score will be reset to zero points.
      • Victory Royale: +3 Points (+10 Total)
      • 2nd - 5th: +2 Points (+7 Total)
      • 6th - 10th: +2 Points (+5 Total)
      • 11th - 25th: +3 Points (+3 Total)
      • Each Elimination: +1 Point
    • Matchmaking:
      • Players are still matchmade against opponents with similar point totals.
      • Matchmaking will wait for up to 8 minutes before creating a match with the closest players available.
      • Matchmaking will search in a considerably wider points range after 4 minutes of searching.
    • At the conclusion of the Gauntlet Test Event, the Top 5% of players based on their final score will unlock the 'Gauntlet Finals' tournament.
  • New Tournament: Gauntlet Solo Finals & Gauntlet Duo Finals
    • Scheduled 3-hour event, check tournament in-game for your local time.
      • Note: NA East and NA West are now separate for scheduled tournaments, and no longer share a leaderboard.
    • Scoring:
      • Match Limit: 10 Games
      • Victory Royale: +3 Points (+10 Total)
      • 2nd - 5th: +2 Points (+7 Total)
      • 6th - 10th: +2 Points (+5 Total)
      • 11th - 25th: +3 Points (+3 Total)
      • Each Elimination: +1 Point
    • Top 3000 players in each server region will advance to Round 2 on Sunday during same time block.
Audio

• Improvement to the standard AR sound so that it's not overbearing on the shooter.
  • The sound made when a player destroys a structure is now louder when instigated by enemies.
  • Footstep audio blends in the above/below layers, rather than binarily switching between them.
  • Footstep occlusion traces from the head of enemies when they're above or below.
  • Reduced the volume of the Season 8 Victory Umbrella.
  • The Season 8 Victory Umbrella now uses the correct sound on Mobile/Switch.
Mobile

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an issue when pressing the fire button with 2 fingers causes fire action to continuously loop.
Infantry should be vaulted.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
5ajpqrzhzfk21.png

Looks like most PoI's will get a Respawn point eventually. If they are indeed Respawn Vans of course and not just for some LTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.