• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I started in the later half of season 6. I've played like 1200 solo games on Xbox One X and have like 7 victories. Should that number be way higher? I feel I'm okay at building, but I mainly played with kb+m from 1991 to 2014, so my gamepad skills are not that godly.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Got every weekly challenge so far except the cannon one. Guess I need to keep playing Team Rumble and shooting cannonballs into crowds...

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
I never bothered with down crafting because I rely on abilities if I go to plankerton to cheese a daily mission.

Darknyss

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda annoyed that the challenges are unlocking later and later nowadays. With DST they dont unlock until 10:30 EST.

I used to like waking up back in S04 and them being live early AM. 😔

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
Just the basic RPG. I used them to push enemies back during my ability cooldowns because my traps were petty weak when i first started Twine.

You had me thinking we could craft explosives as in the throwable variety so I booted up the game and poked around the menu looking for them LOL

But that's not a bad Idea, I may try that next time I just want to cheese a daily quest as fast as possible

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That's BR my friend.

You can't say getting into a fight was a punishment. You pick a fight you deal with the consequences.
punishment was maybe the wrong word to use, but it does discourage getting/staying in a fight when all you often get out of them is wasted resources & damage suffered, which I don't personally think is a good thing in a battle royale shooter like this. And I'm not just talking about deliberately getting into fights but also running into enemies by chance and being forced to fight. And even then, +50 health after a kill isn't all that huge of an advantage after fights but it makes them a bit more sensible. It just helps that you aren't necessarily a one-shot to a distant stray bullet hitting you by accident.

When do starter packs get rotated out? I really want that rumoured Laguna pack, it's driving me mad.
Pretty sure they last quite awhile. Maybe the whole season or at least close to it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
punishment was maybe the wrong word to use, but it does discourage getting/staying in a fight when all you often get out of them is wasted resources & damage suffered, which I don't personally think is a good thing in a shooter. And I'm not just talking about deliberately getting into fights but also running into enemies by chance and being forced to fight. And even then, +50 health after a kill isn't all that huge of an advantage after fights but it makes them a bit more sensible. It just helps that you aren't necessarily a one-shot to a distant stray bullet hitting you by accident.

If they want that mechanic I think they should tone down the amounts awarded, maybe 25 or something.
Pretty sure they last quite awhile. Maybe the whole season or at least close to it.

Damn, so that Cobalt pack will still be around for a while I guess.

Last edited:

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I started in the later half of season 6. I've played like 1200 solo games on Xbox One X and have like 7 victories. Should that number be way higher? I feel I'm okay at building, but I mainly played with kb+m from 1991 to 2014, so my gamepad skills are not that godly.
Its perfectly fine, I know it doesn't give the same satisfaction but try to just play to get better, not to get the wins. You'll end up with more wins on the long term.

I made the mistake in my first +-100 games where I was trying to hide until top 5 and then dying once I got in a fight. Instead just practice by landing in the more active spots; if you die who cares, you've already died 1193 times before so what's one more ? ;)

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Thank you epic for making this week's challenge manageable. On another note, I managed to get the cannon challenge by simply dicking around with the cannon. Guess stuff just doesn't come to when you actually try to get it done.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Damn, so that Cobalt pack will still be around for a while I guess.
Nah, Epic has offered multiple starter packs in the shops before. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cobalt and Laguna both on sale by mid-season.

(And I agree, it's a great skin)
I made the mistake in my first +-100 games where I was trying to hide until top 5 and then dying once I got in a fight. Instead just practice by landing in the more active spots; if you die who cares, you've already died 1193 times before so what's one more ? ;)
I still play that way more than I should; I really ought to push myself to do more firefights and get better, but I don't like the long waits of "exiting the match, go to the home page, wait for matchmaking, wait in the lobby" over and over. A quick "quit and find new match" feature would be awesome.
On another note, I managed to get the cannon challenge by simply dicking around with the cannon.
I finished it last night by playing Disco Domination, landing at a pirate camp, then dragging a cannon to one of the enemy dance pads and firing like a hypercaffeinated monkey. Had to drag a cannon across Loot Lake one match, grrrr...

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I still play that way more than I should; I really ought to push myself to do more firefights and get better, but I don't like the long waits of "exiting the match, go to the home page, wait for matchmaking, wait in the lobby" over and over. A quick "quit and find new match" feature would be awesome

Yes that would be great, but it's designed this way to show you the store and your friends' skins and emotes in between games. My guess is that they'll keep it this way.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Trying to do Gateway with randoms has not been well, so I probably pass on the rewards then.

I did end up getting the cannon challenge in Disco through. Sloppy, but I got it done. XD

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
Awful performance with the recent patch on (base) PlayStation 4.

The framerate was dreadful playing Disco Domination, there were several points where I could see through the map, I got stuck free falling at the top of a pirate camp and I had to reload the game a couple of times for the textures to load properly.

XZB7M4P.jpg

M5kbXdb.jpg

NKrayzR.jpg

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well then, I actually found Getaway group that stuck together, and we ended up getting out of there. The jewel back bling is nice.

Last edited:

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Disco dom was great before team rumble, but now i don't know why you would ever want to go back. Everyone plays Dom like TR anywa.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
DIsco was so horrible yesterday as new challenges became available. People were clearly just trying to get challenges done instead of doing anything even remotely game mode object based. Like, in one game, within the first 3-4 minutes, only ONE dance floor had been conquered (by me) while the rest were doing who knows what the fuck they were doing. There were even, like, 5 people from my side right around one dance floor location (on top of the letter) and no one was conquering it before the storm started expanding again.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
They should let you stack perks in StW or add in a sub-commander team slot or something. Builds would be infinitely more varied.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
DIsco was so horrible yesterday as new challenges became available. People were clearly just trying to get challenges done instead of doing anything even remotely game mode object based. Like, in one game, within the first 3-4 minutes, only ONE dance floor had been conquered (by me) while the rest were doing who knows what the fuck they were doing. There were even, like, 5 people from my side right around one dance floor location (on top of the letter) and no one was conquering it before the storm started expanding again.
Team based objective modes are always like this it seems. I have had more then one game of disco where it was basically soley down to me that my team won because i was pretty much the only person working to capture a dance floor. All you would used to see is the majority of people fighting in the centre zone, unable to capture the floor while the surrounding floors are left empty.

In fact playing any mode with randoms is 99% of the time terrible because everyone just wants to do what they want to do and ignore everything else. If i try squads i will quickly suggest a landing place where you can get good loot without much hassle yet the others will either mark tilted/retail/salty or just jump out without any marking at all.

I appreciate its probably mostly kids but FFS, why bother playing squads if your gonna just go rogue and go for the worst places to start where you are gonna die 99% of the time?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Team based objective modes are always like this it seems. I have had more then one game of disco where it was basically soley down to me that my team won because i was pretty much the only person working to capture a dance floor. All you would used to see is the majority of people fighting in the centre zone, unable to capture the floor while the surrounding floors are left empty.

In fact playing any mode with randoms is 99% of the time terrible because everyone just wants to do what they want to do and ignore everything else. If i try squads i will quickly suggest a landing place where you can get good loot without much hassle yet the others will either mark tilted/retail/salty or just jump out without any marking at all.

I appreciate its probably mostly kids but FFS, why bother playing squads if your gonna just go rogue and go for the worst places to start where you are gonna die 99% of the time?
They are but I felt like this go-around it's been especially bad. Though I'm not sure if I've ever played Disco this early in the new challenge-week, so maybe it evens out a bit later on as people get challenges done and a bit more people start focusing on the game mode instead of challenges. Like, yeah, there are some who goof around but there's been at least half of the team who try to actively go for the goal and the dance floors are actively conquered, defended and lost. Now people were just in an all-out war at Dusty's mountain, Salted etc. and a combined number of maybe 5-8 people from both sides were trying to conquer dance floors & shit.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They are but I felt like this go-around it's been especially bad. Though I'm not sure if I've ever played Disco this early in the new challenge-week, so maybe it evens out a bit later on as people get challenges done and a bit more people start focusing on the game mode instead of challenges. Like, yeah, there are some who goof around but there's been at least half of the team who try to actively go for the goal and the dance floors are actively conquered, defended and lost. Now people were just in an all-out war at Dusty's mountain, Salted etc. and a combined number of maybe 5-8 people from both sides were trying to conquer dance floors & shit.
I just dont understand why they bother to go into these modes if they arent farming challenges. I suppose its probably down to having respawns in that mode but even squads can be bad for this stuff.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Getaway with balloons is way too easy, they should've made it so you can only escape from solid ground IMO.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
After a bunch of crappy getaway matches I had a quite fun one where my team went to tilted, got wiped and I was just near lonely fighting off another team, got the llama and then had to run around trying to get to a van but getting stuck between two that got used when I got near. Ended up winning which was nice.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Got a win finally, shot the dude running up floor out from beneath him. Won it. Honestly, the mode isn't very good.

Disco is shit. Rumble or 50v50 are the only two worthwhile. They need hoverboard + rocket only match again

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Got my first no kill solo win on switch. Just dicked around with the hamster ball until 6 left then floated with the balloons.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Trying to do Gateway with randoms has not been well, so I probably pass on the rewards then.
Agree for the most part. All of my attempts to do Getaway with randoms were spectacular failures, though admittedly much of that was probably due to my inexperience with it. I did get one good game with a random squad, it boiled down to me and one surviving teammate, and we supported each other to the point where we ended up with the last two jewels. Unfortunately we couldn't get away, I failed to reach the van and we got pinned down by a guy with an SMG.
Disco dom was great before team rumble, but now i don't know why you would ever want to go back. Everyone plays Dom like TR anywa.
The problem is that there's no good incentive to dance in Disco -- you make yourself a target, you can't get any eliminations or challenges done, so it's seen as a loser job by most players. Epic should reactor it so the "Best Dancer" gets a bunch of Battle Stars or XP, give people an incentive to actually dance instead of just shooting each other. Team Rumble works because the victory goal is something everyone wants to do anyway...

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Any tips on how to to easily get snipe kills? The only challenge left for this week, and it's annoying me.
As mentioned above, Disco Domination. Grab a sniper rifle, find a dance floor on the dividing line, then perch nearby and wait for someone to start dancing. If you can get a heavy sniper rifle from a vending machine that makes it easier, those are almost guaranteed one-hit kills.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I've played almost 280 hours on Switch since the game launched, and I'm quite glad to not play it much nowadays. I felt like the last 3 seasons were still great, but Epic is still doing it more and more difficult to get to the Tier 100 without playing ton of hours.

First, they started giving only 5 Tiers instead of 10 if you made all the challenges. Now, next season, you won't even start with 5 tiers done, but with extra XP bonus, which mean you will need to grind even more to get to Tiers 100.

I still love the game, I got the Free Battle Pass this season, but I guess it will be my last one if Epic continue on this path to ask us to play more and more to get their to the top of their Battle Pass.

I have plenty of games I wasn't able to play since I was always on Fortnite. Not a bad thing btw, I enjoyed almost every minute I played on Fortnite, but the way Epic handled the evolution of the grind required to achieve is season has been worst and worst, and now, it as burned me out to the point I'm not even playing when I get a Free Battle Pass.

I'm curious to see at which Tiers I'll be at the end of the season tbh, to see if disconnecting from the game still allows me to get to Tiers 100, but I doubt it haha.

On the other hand, I guess I've to thanks Epic for that, since I got now time to play other games on my Switch, and still booting Fortnite from time to time. ^^

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
For fuck's sake. STW SSDs just like fucking with me. First, I tried to get some help but because I didn't seemingly get any, I bailed to switch my character. Only to get a couple of "*username X has left the game/party" messages after I left the session. So apparently I did have people coming to help me but I just didn't see them on my screen yet.

On my second try, I decided to do/try it solo. First wave went without issue. Second wave was nearly a disaster as there was an obvious easy route to the shield expansion from the North I had completely missed because apparently I'm blind. Even worse, some enemies didn't use that easy route that had SOME defenses, but came from above, just to drop on top of my building which had absolutely no traps. Luckily it wasn't too steady a stream of enemies from that direction, so I could handle the few that did come from the skies. Still annoying.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the cannon controls whack for anyone else?

One minute they seem to work fine then the next minute the controls seem inverted and it's a pain In the ass to move around.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
For fuck's sake. STW SSDs just like fucking with me. First, I tried to get some help but because I didn't seemingly get any, I bailed to switch my character. Only to get a couple of "*username X has left the game/party" messages after I left the session. So apparently I did have people coming to help me but I just didn't see them on my screen yet.

On my second try, I decided to do/try it solo. First wave went without issue. Second wave was nearly a disaster as there was an obvious easy route to the shield expansion from the North I had completely missed because apparently I'm blind. Even worse, some enemies didn't use that easy route that had SOME defenses, but came from above, just to drop on top of my building which had absolutely no traps. Luckily it wasn't too steady a stream of enemies from that direction, so I could handle the few that did come from the skies. Still annoying.
If you're having trouble, you can try the SSD helper discord. Make sure you read the rules if you do intend to ask for help.
https://discord.gg/RRnCzMn

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
^^ Yeah, I've been trying to complete that "deal 100 damage to enemies with the pirate canon" challenge, but it's hard enough hitting someone jumping around with a shotgun much less a giant canon!

Status
Not open for further replies.