• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm still trying really hard to get better at this but I'm no where near as good as I am playing other BR games like PUBG or Apex I just can't figure out the building combat aspect any tips or video I should watch would really help..
First things first, you are using pro builder mode, right?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm using pro builder and controller not KBM I play on PS4 but seriously I really wanna get into the game I always end up top 3 or top 2 then someone does a crazy build battle and I'm like wtf do I do lol.
Well, general tips to building is kind of hard to give without seeing you play, but if you seem to have people always overbuilding you, you either need to just try to learn to be faster, more pro-active or just accept (for now) that you aren't going to overbuild the better players and adapt your playstyle to that until you can. Don't back down but be the one to rush and block your opponent getting above you. Your first instinct should become to just start running towards the enemy (fire) while building stairs (and floors/walls under/behind the stairs so you will be a bit harder to drop down). If you are constantly getting outbuild, figure out tactics that work from below. If the opponent just camps, you can try to break their structure and make them fall and use that to your advantage or if they are aggressive and rush you, build a "double-ceiling" (the triangle piece and a "floor") above you in multiple directions to block them from getting to you, while following their location and building walls to directions they seem like they might jump down to.

Learn to edit structures quickly (at least some basic stuff like a hole into a floor/ceiling) and shorten the edit time to as short a time as you are comfortable with/capable of using without lots of errors.

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
Well, general tips to building is kind of hard to give without seeing you play, but if you seem to have people always overbuilding you, you either need to just try to learn to be faster, more pro-active or just accept (for now) that you aren't going to overbuild the better players and adapt your playstyle to that until you can. Don't back down but be the one to rush and block your opponent getting above you. Your first instinct should become to just start running towards the enemy (fire) while building stairs (and floors/walls under/behind the stairs so you will be a bit harder to drop down). If you are constantly getting outbuild, figure out tactics that work from below. If the opponent just camps, you can try to break their structure and make them fall and use that to your advantage or if they are aggressive and rush you, build a "double-ceiling" (the triangle piece and a "floor") above you in multiple directions to block them from getting to you, while following their location and building walls to directions they seem like they might jump down to.

Learn to edit structures quickly (at least some basic stuff like a hole into a floor/ceiling) and shorten the edit time to as short a time as you are comfortable with/capable of using without lots of errors.
Sounds good bro I imagined what you were describing in my head and will try it next time I'm on and will report back its just that I hate to bring down my teammates or be deadweight I hate that feeling if they depend on me and I know I'm just not good yet xD.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I'm looking forward to another POI coming back this week. The map changes for S10 launch were so weak I end up just dropping Tilted Town like 50% of the time in solos because it feels new and different.

Seems the new POI is going to be at Mega Mall. Dropped there today and the device that showed up at Tilted before the change is there now. Will be cool to see what they do, but I was hoping for somewhere else first, Mega Mall and Tilted were already changed last season.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh the three-location prestige objective was fucking infuriating. I'd been trying to do it in solo since the way Team Rumble works makes it highly impractical there, and I've been trying to use a driftboard to get around quickly, but some asshole proceeds to go out of their way to ambush me on the way every fucking time even though it's flagrantly obvious I'm minding my own bloody business. I eventually got it (and the stop sign one), so that's out of the way-

Ten named locations in a single match. Are you fucking serious, Epic. I think I have an optimal strategy for that one (land at Junk Junction, grab a nearby board and just fucking try to skim every location possible on the west side), but oh dear lord there are so many ways trying to get that one could go wrong, since, again, other players can't mind their own fucking business.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh the three-location prestige objective was fucking infuriating. I'd been trying to do it in solo since the way Team Rumble works makes it highly impractical there, and I've been trying to use a driftboard to get around quickly, but some asshole proceeds to go out of their way to ambush me on the way every fucking time even though it's flagrantly obvious I'm minding my own bloody business. I eventually got it (and the stop sign one), so that's out of the way-

Ten named locations in a single match. Are you fucking serious, Epic. I think I have an optimal strategy for that one (land at Junk Junction, grab a nearby board and just fucking try to skim every location possible on the west side), but oh dear lord there are so many ways trying to get that one could go wrong, since, again, other players can't mind their own fucking business.

I did those in Rumble. Good thing to know is if you die you go where the circle is no matter how far you are, so you can drop on a corner and just hit a bunch of areas, knowing that you'll warp to the zone after the storm kills you to get more spots, and I ran into the storm if needed.

But yeah, hitting 10 locations after removing most of the mobility is...dumb.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

I got these done in Team Rumble. What I did for these is land at 1. Pleasant Park then take a Rift towards 2. Haunted then glide over to 3. Junk and grab a hover board to 4. The Block, then go to 5, Loot Lake take the Rift to go to 6. Titled than go back to Loot, Rift over towards 7. Mega Mall then get in the Slip stream go to 8. Dusty Depot, walk my way over 9. Salty Springs and then lastly walk over to 10. Fatal Fields.

Was fairly easy and got it done in like 4 minutes. I also got lucky since the circle was over the mountain next to Salty/Dusty so I just killed myself and glided over to Fatal in like 10 seconds.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did those in Rumble. Good thing to know is if you die you go where the circle is no matter how far you are, so you can drop on a corner and just hit a bunch of areas, knowing that you'll warp to the zone after the storm kills you to get more spots, and I ran into the storm if needed.

But yeah, hitting 10 locations after removing most of the mobility is...dumb.
I got these done in Team Rumble. What I did for these is land at 1. Pleasant Park then take a Rift towards 2. Haunted then glide over to 3. Junk and grab a hover board to 4. The Block, then go to 5, Loot Lake take the Rift to go to 6. Titled than go back to Loot, Rift over towards 7. Mega Mall then get in the Slip stream go to 8. Dusty Depot, walk my way over 9. Salty Springs and then lastly walk over to 10. Fatal Fields.

Was fairly easy and got it done in like 4 minutes. I also got lucky since the circle was over the mountain next to Salty/Dusty so I just killed myself and glided over to Fatal in like 10 seconds.
Okay, thanks. I managed to get it done with the help of a mech I grabbed at Lucky Landing. Managed to make it back into the circle right before it killed me, too.

I think I'm basically done for today. Got basically nearly all the weekly objectives done (aside from the one that hasn't unlocked yet), wrapped up prestige team rumble and got quite a few other objectives done as well. Getting level 65 is gonna be a bit daunting, though, since I'll basically have to work at getting a level a day so I can get to that threshold before the season ends.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
No robot nerf and zombies in Retail ? This is so stupid.

At least vault some useless items or put some mobility back in I don't know, make an effort ffs.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Do Epic actually want to lose players? Let me guess this week's challenges: "Deal damage to Zombies" "Deal damage to big zombie" "Deal damage to Gold Zombie" "Destroy ugly spawn crystal thing". and fuck the robot. ruined so many games for me.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I swear, the Fortnite community are just never happy and over react to every change thats made.

Can Robots occasionally be annoying? Yes, but they are also not that hard to take out if you simply focus on shooting them from afar and don't let up.

Seriously, all i constantly see from 90% of the community is bitching and moaning about how the game is ruined when in reality its just that people arent willing to adapt or to see the good in whats happening.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
There's no good in any change they've made in season 10. Half our games are getting fucked by either the storm (mobiliy being gone) or a robot squad, sometimes both. It's not fun. At least the fucking ballers couldn't take you down.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There's no good in any change they've made in season 10. Half our games are getting fucked by either the storm (mobility being gone) or a robot squad, sometimes both. It's not fun. At least the fucking ballers couldn't take you down.
I wasnt happy with the removal the ballers but its really not that bad.

Storms I have had to adapt to actually being a threat again but keeping an eye on it and when to leave an area isnt that bad.

Robots again arent that bad,especially in squads. Just have your team all focus on shooting one and it will go down in seconds.

As for the changes made in X, i have enjoyed Tilted Town for the different way it forces you to play without building.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Robots again arent that bad,especially in squads. Just have your team all focus on shooting one and it will go down in seconds.
Good luck doing that while 2 guys on foot are shooting at you and you have to avoid the robot stomping you to death or shooting through your walls.
If pro players are complaining and dying to randoms in robots I'm gonna go with "it's actually not that easy".

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I swear, the Fortnite community are just never happy and over react to every change thats made.

Can Robots occasionally be annoying? Yes, but they are also not that hard to take out if you simply focus on shooting them from afar and don't let up.

Seriously, all i constantly see from 90% of the community is bitching and moaning about how the game is ruined when in reality its just that people arent willing to adapt or to see the good in whats happening.

I generally agree with this with this sentiment, Fortnite is about adaptability, but this season I have been really annoyed. I play mostly duos and I think that might be the worst game mode against robots. In Solo you can try to sneak in and self destruct them, in Squads you have a lot of firepower to destroy them, but in Duos they are really hard to deal with. Last game there was a robot killing the 4 other final teams (including mine), really fun and really deserved.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good luck doing that while 2 guys on foot are shooting at you and you have to avoid the robot stomping you to death or shooting through your walls.
If pro players are complaining and dying to randoms in robots I'm gonna go with "it's actually not that easy".
But the whole point is there should be 4 v 4 and with 2 of them in the robot that means 2 of your team can provide cover cover for the ground enemies and the other 2 can focus on shooting the robot.

Also Pro players complain about tonnes of stuff. I'm a decent player but not great yet I have killed more robots then have killed me so they obviously aren't that bad if you play smart.
I generally agree with this with this sentiment, Fortnite is about adaptability, but this season I have been really annoyed. I play mostly duos and I think that might be the worst game mode against robots. In Solo you can try to sneak in and self destruct them, in Squads you have a lot of firepower to destroy them, but in Duos they are really hard to deal with. Last game there was a robot killing the 4 other final teams (including mine), really fun and really deserved.
Honestly the big problem is that for some reason, probably fear, most people don't attack the robots and thus focus more on defending which will 99% of the time get you killed.

Pick your moments and just lay into the robots and they will often jump away because they know their health is getting drained quickly. Also aim for the driver or pilot as you will either kill them or make them panic and leave to heal up.

I have killed a few drivers when they have been right in my face trying to stomp me.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the big problem is that for some reason, probably fear, most people don't attack the robots and thus focus more on defending which will 99% of the time get you killed.

Pick your moments and just lay into the robots and they will often jump away because they know their health is getting drained quickly. Also aim for the driver or pilot as you will either kill them or make them panic and leave to heal up.

I have killed a few drivers when they have been right in my face trying to stomp me.

Yes, when driving robots myself I did notice how bad people were at attacking me. See a robot -> build a 1x1.. You just have to keep moving.
Sometimes there's really nothing you can do though, it can be so random. The other day I was looting a house (in Mega Mall or something), no other team there, I tell my teammate I think I hear a robot nearby. Boom, dead, house destroyed. Also, I think a lot of the frustration comes from the loss of mobility.
How much more fun would it be if we had quads againt those robots?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, when driving robots myself I did notice how bad people were at attacking me. See a robot -> build a 1x1.. You just have to keep moving.
Sometimes there's really nothing you can do though, it can be so random. The other day I was looting a house (in Mega Mall or something), no other team there, I tell my teammate I think I hear a robot nearby. Boom, dead, house destroyed. Also, I think a lot of the frustration comes from the loss of mobility.
How much more fun would it be if we had quads againt those robots?
Yeah there are occasions where its really difficult to actually do anything, especially if you arent aware that they have already seen you and are getting ready to attack. Duos are the hardest mode though for Mechs since solo you can take over and self destruct, squads can kill them easy but duos means a fully functioning mech.

Another issue though is that Fortnite has taught people to third party constantly so if you do start taking out a mech you have a big chance that someone else will take you out instead of helping you.

Quads against mechs sounds like a lot of fun but would actually be OP against the mech. You would be way too fast and could escape any missiles and just have one person on the back shooting the mech and killing it quite quickly.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the game's horrifying performance issues than the mechs at this point. I'm still getting matches where I am getting regular, seconds-long freezing that has cost me fights, and I'm now finding myself waiting fucking minutes to respawn in Team Rumble.

Seriously, Epic, your ability to keep this game optimized is getting worse. I have an RTX 2060 and 16GB of RAM, for fuck's sake. Get your shit together.

Oct 25, 2017
I played BR for the first time in a long time. It was pretty fun. Still not fun getting shotgunned so often. But the map changes are pretty cool. Last I seriously played was before they started all the crazy stuff.

The mech in solo was pretty cool. Someone tried to self destruct it, I got out before they did and ended up killing them. But moving around the map in that was fun.

I can't say I am a fan of building mechanics still. I guess a lot of people use macros now? One guy kept building a box around him in like... instantly. I ended up dominating the fuck out of him... he wasn't even good. I barely believe someone can instantly build a box around him without some way to cheat the controls *WHILE* also having such bad aim and game sense.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I played BR for the first time in a long time. It was pretty fun. Still not fun getting shotgunned so often. But the map changes are pretty cool. Last I seriously played was before they started all the crazy stuff.

The mech in solo was pretty cool. Someone tried to self destruct it, I got out before they did and ended up killing them. But moving around the map in that was fun.

I can't say I am a fan of building mechanics still. I guess a lot of people use macros now? One guy kept building a box around him in like... instantly. I ended up dominating the fuck out of him... he wasn't even good. I barely believe someone can instantly build a box around him without some way to cheat the controls *WHILE* also having such bad aim and game sense.

Well, this is how my 10 and 12 year old niece and nephew play the game. Both amazing builders and can out build me all the time since all they do is practice builds in creative, however, when it comes to shooting and deciding when to engage they panic and over build rather than taking shots and trying to get damage. I find this is how a lot of people play the game now since building is easier (lol) when it becomes second nature but shooting still takes skill and precision (double LOL).

Oct 25, 2017

Macros? It's called turbo building.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I get that people get annoyed by a lot of the changes but the comp subreddit is such a goddamn mess.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They think having a no build zone is to appeal to casuals or bad players when in reality it's even harder for bad players to excel there where it's all about angles, positioning and gamesense which people basically have zero of in this game due to being able to just turtle up.

Zombies are lame to me but I really like tilted town.

Oct 25, 2017
A no build zone is to spice it up with some variety. Just like the zombies, low grav, air flow stuff, etc..

I think the way they've given the map variety is way better than their original approach, which was to just throw areas on the map. IMO pretty genius way to make one area of the map different from the others.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, the mech laser was already in a wall paper last week. It's not a nerf, just a planned feature.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, the zombies not spawning in team rumble is kinda unfortunate, now it's just a worse POI with a horrible screen filter applied while you're there.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Hey. Bought the Fortnite Dualshock 4 Neo Versa Bundle (comes with the epic Neo Versa Outfit, Epic Neo Phrenzy Back bling and 500 V Bucks). I don't play the game, so I post the code in a spoiler. Don't know if you can redeem the code outside of the german store.

Last edited:

crafton

Oct 28, 2017
Hey. Bought the Fortnite Dualshock 4 Neo Versa Bundle (comes with the epic Neo Versa Outfit, Epic Neo Phrenzy Back bling and 500 V Bucks). I don't play the game, so I post the code in a spoiler. Don't know if you can redeem the code outside of the german store.
F94B-A2NT-FFHR

Looks like someones already nabbed it. Thanks for sharing though!

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017

LMAO

Ignoring the fact that the're straight up admitting that they're leaving the mech in for bad players to feel good about themselves (hey let's just give random players in Modern Warfare AC-130 killstreaks to start the match so they don't feel bad!), they're completely ignoring how mechs change the entire game and how people play in ways that are so very conveniently not shown on a kill graph, such as:

-Players changing their starting drop location after jumping out either to avoid or go for mechs once they appear

-Players engaging or not engaging in rotations or fights they would have otherwise based on the mech location/fight

-Players carrying items they otherwise wouldn't normally carry (minigun or boogie bombs as examples) just to deal with a potential mech fight shorting them slots they would normally have more preferable items in

-People who like to immediately go for the mech on spawn and just detonate it immediately to get it out of play which me, my friends, and several streamers do

The fact that they had to try to resort to misleading graphs to try to justify their continued existence is actually pathetic. *I* am the trash player they are stating they want to appease and I think it's one of the worst game design decisions I've ever seen in a multiplayer game, and virtually everyone of all skill levels agrees. I'm not spending any more real money on the game (I get more than enough vbucks from StW daily logins plus the vbucks from the pass) and I may be done after hitting tier 100 this season for good. Even if they decided to vault it tomorrow, they've completely lost the plot on multiple occasions now and I can't frankly don't trust them long-term at this point. Like NO ONE is happy with the mechs across the entire gamut of playerskill and playerbase in a way I'm not sure I've seen offhand in a game like this before, and they still won't budge.

I'm almost buying into the theory at this point that this is going to wind up being revealed as some sort of cross promotional marketing thing and that's why they can't drop it. The straws they are grasping at are absurd at this point.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
Another rift beacon is right outside the soccer stadium ... wonder what they plan on doing with that area. It's one of my favorite spots to land :(

Status
Not open for further replies.