• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It is about time they added match making. I blame the community for a huge lack of awareness that skill progression is a big part of multiplayer games and you do not magically become good by playing against people many tiers above your skill level.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Although I've almost completely stopped playing, I think it's a good sign that they may finally realize that they've made the wrong choices these last 4 seasons trying to balance the game towards new players and players that aren't that skilled.

The new map and changes next season would have to be really good for me to come back though.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More leaks today, apparently last week will have a hunt for audio recordings to expand the visitor/scientist stuff lore

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Matchmaking sounds like a good idea.
I'm probably above average when it comes to the gunplay etc., but it's always the building that holds me back.
I guess I'm in that awkward place were I'd probably destroy lobbies with people who can't build well, but I get destroyed by those who can.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So, will the next week have the secret skin or is it already available? Still miffed I missed last season's special helmets.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
qhkcs6itlko31.jpg

Fortnite support discontinued I guess 🤷‍♀️

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I've unlocked it, so there's nothing not listed you can achieve at the moment?
If you're at BP tier 100, the only thing you can get this season anymore is two different coloured versions of the tier 100 skin and the hammer skin for the pickaxe. Everything else you should have if you've done all the weekly challenges.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Were the different styles for Singularity ever announced in game? I totally would have missed them if not for checking random Fortnite stuff every once in a while.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My only regret from Season 9 was I didn't grind out 85 Fortbytes or however much it took to unlock the grey style for Vendetta. I was playing a little less than. Still though, I've completed every Battlepass that the game has put out so far. Currently I'm only like 2k exp away from level 65 as well, which I felt I had to reach for this season for completion sake due to owning the original Black Knight skin. I do love how this season kind of completed the original Black Knight's set too, with the glider and such. Think next week's mission reward is the Ultima Knight's pickaxe?

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Double XP Weekend!
  • Make this weekend double the fun. From Friday, September 27 at 9 AM ET to Monday, September 30 at 9 AM ET, you'll earn double the XP for the matches you play.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Damn, I'll be away camping all week. Still have hope to reach 65, though. Maxed out the BP and just got to level 63 so with the last week's challenges and a few matches I should get there. I'm loving the Ghost Rider Explorer skin in cerulean. His glider, axes, and back bling are cool, too. Probably my favorite complete "set" so far.

Challenge-wise this season had it's pros and cons. I liked that they got rid of Fortbytes, but I still prefer the old method of weekly challenges. With normal and prestige this season I found it taking longer to finish most weeklies. On the flipside, it was nice having the dailies packaged up so you don't have to log in every day. Will be interesting to see if they actually change the map next season.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Added more Ghost Town zones to the end of Canny Valley to offer a wider mission variety to players who are trying to complete the campaign.

it's about fucking time

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Seek this out in StW, as it is nicely done... (if you previously completed CV, then you can find the surprise in TP as well.)

Added a final quest to the end of the Stand and Fight Campaign.
  • Complete this new Canny Valley quest to witness a small surprise!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I have some zbucks left over from STW... I didn't play Season X of the BR mode AT ALL.

But I really liked what some of the skins looked like. I'm guessing that even if I bought the BP, I couldn't unlock the later stages of the skins on my own time?

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else having issues with bat signals? I haven't played in a little while but my little brother still plays, he can't see the signals for a challenge which involves lighting up a signal, using batclaws & batarangs, he's done the rest of the challenges which involved lighting up signals.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else having issues with bat signals? I haven't played in a little while but my little brother still plays, he can't see the signals for a challenge which involves lighting up a signal, using batclaws & batarangs, he's done the rest of the challenges which involved lighting up signals.

He can't find the bat signals or they don't register for the challenge? I had issues on that challenge too, but that was the batarangs part. I delt damage, but it didn't register. Tried a couple of games and suddenly it registered when I sniped someone with a heavy sniper (?) . That challenge seems buggy.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
The official Fortnite account tweeted about the bat signal challenges being bugged so I imagine they are working on it at the moment

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He can't find the bat signals or they don't register for the challenge? I had issues on that challenge too, but that was the batarangs part. I delt damage, but it didn't register. Tried a couple of games and suddenly it registered when I sniped someone with a heavy sniper (?) . That challenge seems buggy.

The actual bat signals weren't there i watched him go to the places on the eurogamer map.

The official Fortnite account tweeted about the bat signal challenges being bugged so I imagine they are working on it at the moment
Ah okay, that's great! Thanks for the info!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Always fun to have lag & RNG gods on your side and blasting 57 damage with golden tactical shotgun straight to the middle of his body from 2 meters away. Or headshots that do 37 damage.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Silver and red colors for the knight, nothing more to unlock.
It's the first time I got to tier 100 two weeks before the end of the season, they were handing out battle stars left and right.
Thet probably had issues getting people to play this season.

Has anyone noticed the SBMM? tried a couple of games but didn't notice much.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Really happy to see that this weekend is Double XP, will help me complete that last push to level 65. Does anyone know if it's actually double, or a 100% boost?

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
There's about to be 35,000 XP from the Overtime challenges. That should boost you a fair bit.

55 to 65 is 105,000 XP, so you'll only need 70,000 after OT. That's only like 70 Rumbles, less if you play with a friend or team up with yourself on an alternate account. Not even counting the coming 100% XP boost.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old enough to remember having to hit level 80 for max Omega from S4

That grind straight up burned me out on the game for two seasons after lol.

I'm about to hit 65, ALL I have left is the goddamn fall damage challenge lol. Except for one person everyone I play with has given up on the game over the course of this season so I've just been doing challenges in Rumble for the week then dipping until next week, I'll have to hop into a regular playlist to get this done probably. You can get fall damage in Rumble and I've done it before, but it's much harder obviously.

I have no idea what they do to keep me on for next season, especially with pretty much all of my friends gone. New map is kind of whatever to me since the map has changed so much over the last several seasons, and I don't really trust Epic with balance changes at this point. I'm curious to see what they do but I'll need to see something very impressive to consider buying the Pass next season, and I'm sitting on like 3k vbucks.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I think they got me back to playing this game. Friends were asking me to get back for Zonewars last night, and although I declined at first it really is fun! If they can get rid of the teamers and make this a more polished experience with better maps and settings, I could see this as the only mode I'll play, or at least when I want to play solo.

It also helped me to adjust really quick to my new controller sensitivity settings. I made the switch to the linear curve and even though it felt really weird at the start, after just 4 hours I think I'm more consistent with my flick shots than I've ever been. And that's after a month of not playing the game.

I'd recommend everybody to at least try it out for a day.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at, like, lvl 78 and I haven't even played that much. Was travelling for 2 weeks during which I barely got the weekly battle-star-giving limited challenges done and then have had several 5-6 day gaps between playing.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
It also helped me to adjust really quick to my new controller sensitivity settings. I made the switch to the linear curve and even though it felt really weird at the start, after just 4 hours I think I'm more consistent with my flick shots than I've ever been. And that's after a month of not playing the game.

I'd recommend everybody to at least try it out for a day.

What does linear curve mean? I made the built sensitivity x2. It's much faster and I'm still getting used to it, but I feel it's going to help me build better.
I can build decently enough, but I'm definetly not at the level I should be when you look at my playtime :P

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
What does linear curve mean? I made the built sensitivity x2. It's much faster and I'm still getting used to it, but I feel it's going to help me build better.
I can build decently enough, but I'm definetly not at the level I should be when you look at my playtime :P

If I understand it correctly, it makes it easier to build muscle memory for aiming and it seems to work like this:

Take the absolute center of the stick, so when you don't touch it, as a 0 raw input value on the horizontal axis, every move to the left becomes a negative (E.g. -0.1 to -10), every move to the right a positive (e.g.+0.1 to +10).

The game takes this raw input and applies a formula to it to calculate how much and in what direction it should move your view. For linear this could be something like outcome = sensitivity *input value. For exponential this could be outcome = (input value^2) * sensitivity.

The first thing this means is that 'exponential' allows you to make smaller moves when you only move the stick a little and it gradually becomes bigger the more you push it in one direction. If you move your stick to where the raw input value is 0.5, the formula translates it into 0.25, and thus a smaller movement than you have at the point where the raw input value is 2, as that becomes 4. The more you move the stick the bigger the differences in turn speed becomes between each input value (4 would become 16, etc.)

For the linear the differences between the input values stay the same relative to eachother as they depend on the input, the sensitivity and possibly some other constant factor. This means that the speed of turning increases in a constant manner allowing you to be better able to predict to what point you have to push the stick. With a sensitivity of .50, pushing the stick to 0.5, becomes 0.25. When you push twice as far, the input becomes .5, and when you push still twice as far it becomes 1.

That alone would make it better, but I guess the biggest advantage is when you have to move from left to right (negative to positive) and have to 'cross' that slow part on the exponential curve. That slowing down and not knowing exactly where you are on an exponential curve while having to switch direction, in my opinion makes it harder to aim than on a linear curve.

To overcome not being able to make those smaller movements I lowered both my normal and ADS sensitivities and added a 50% boost to when I fully push my stick to one direction to still allow for quick turn arounds.

Just to be clear you can still build muscle memory with the exponential curve, I mean pro's have been doing that until now and I don't know anyone who has been willing to make the switch, but I suspect some will in the end if they try it for a longer time. I basically believe that the default exponential curve is the same as a PC player playing with mouse acceleration turned on; pro's don't do that for a reason as it's less predictable. Whether you decide to try and use it is up to you of course, but it's great they now offer these options.

BTW Sorry for the long story, some friends asked me yesterday why I tried it out, and then why it made me better in that short period of 4 hours, but I couldn't really explain them, so I tried to explain it here, I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This double XL is a fucking scam.

im only earning like 400 additional xp despite earning way more than that in matches.
Screw grinding to level 65 (currently level 57), I'm done with the season as I'm level 100.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
If I understand it correctly, it makes it easier to build muscle memory for aiming and it seems to work like this:

Take the absolute center of the stick, so when you don't touch it, as a 0 raw input value on the horizontal axis, every move to the left becomes a negative (E.g. -0.1 to -10), every move to the right a positive (e.g.+0.1 to +10).

The game takes this raw input and applies a formula to it to calculate how much and in what direction it should move your view. For linear this could be something like outcome = sensitivity *input value. For exponential this could be outcome = (input value^2) * sensitivity.

The first thing this means is that 'exponential' allows you to make smaller moves when you only move the stick a little and it gradually becomes bigger the more you push it in one direction. If you move your stick to where the raw input value is 0.5, the formula translates it into 0.25, and thus a smaller movement than you have at the point where the raw input value is 2, as that becomes 4. The more you move the stick the bigger the differences in turn speed becomes between each input value (4 would become 16, etc.)

For the linear the differences between the input values stay the same relative to eachother as they depend on the input, the sensitivity and possibly some other constant factor. This means that the speed of turning increases in a constant manner allowing you to be better able to predict to what point you have to push the stick. With a sensitivity of .50, pushing the stick to 0.5, becomes 0.25. When you push twice as far, the input becomes .5, and when you push still twice as far it becomes 1.

That alone would make it better, but I guess the biggest advantage is when you have to move from left to right (negative to positive) and have to 'cross' that slow part on the exponential curve. That slowing down and not knowing exactly where you are on an exponential curve while having to switch direction, in my opinion makes it harder to aim than on a linear curve.

To overcome not being able to make those smaller movements I lowered both my normal and ADS sensitivities and added a 50% boost to when I fully push my stick to one direction to still allow for quick turn arounds.

Just to be clear you can still build muscle memory with the exponential curve, I mean pro's have been doing that until now and I don't know anyone who has been willing to make the switch, but I suspect some will in the end if they try it for a longer time. I basically believe that the default exponential curve is the same as a PC player playing with mouse acceleration turned on; pro's don't do that for a reason as it's less predictable. Whether you decide to try and use it is up to you of course, but it's great they now offer these options.

BTW Sorry for the long story, some friends asked me yesterday why I tried it out, and then why it made me better in that short period of 4 hours, but I couldn't really explain them, so I tried to explain it here, I hope it makes sense.

Ok, I get it, thanks! It help me to visualize two different curves to understand it. I'll check it out, I'm pretty happy with my current aim though. We'll see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.