• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Darknyss

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, has anymore been said about matching everyone against everyone? Like switch v PC and console v PC? When that change came in at the start of season 2 along with SBMM I bounced and haven't been back. So I'm completely out the loop
It's still in place. I play on PS4 and have been getting matched with more and more PC players. I don't know if it's a population thing or because of SBMM but it's noticeable. My stats have improved a little this season so maybe I'm getting into sweatier lobbies. I rarely run into AI bots anymore.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
Does anything carry over between StW and BR modes, like xp or cosmetics? I literally know zero about StW

edit: Google said no.

Last edited:

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
New physics engine huh. I doubt there will be anything noticeable from that in the new season, apart from maybe some new glitches. Another month of this season is unfortunate though, my playtime is at a all time low atm, not at all playing outside of completing the challenges. Let's hope the two week event is gonna have something fun to do.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Actually proud of my last win. Entire team got wiped in the beginning, but I managed to collect their cards and pick off the remains for the two groups who did it. Reboot them. Another group is coming in our direction. Held them off long enough for my squad to arrive and picked off 2. Rebooted the fall member. Got our route out and ready for the next circle close, bringing us behind the last few groups with the high group and build the main building for us to hide in. Went from the worst position in the pit to the best. No kills out of the last 12 or so people. But I managed to get my squad there, well equipped, shielded, and with the high ground.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
No wonder they haven't bothered fixing the multitude of annoying ass bugs that have been here since the start of the season

It's unfortunate, but Fortnite is pretty much unplayable now on base PS4 because of these bugs. Between hitches, entire areas failing to pop in, and horrible server related problems now, I can hardly play. Then, being forced to play against PC players with superior graphics, draw distances, less bugs, and mouse/keyboard makes playing so unfair. It's just not fun anymore even when I can play without bugs. It's frustrating because I really love the game, Season 2 has really ruined my experience entirely. I almost wish they'd just revert everything back to Season 1, at least the game worked for me.

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate, but Fortnite is pretty much unplayable now on base PS4 because of these bugs. Between hitches, entire areas failing to pop in, and horrible server related problems now, I can hardly play. Then, being forced to play against PC players with superior graphics, draw distances, less bugs, and mouse/keyboard makes playing so unfair. It's just not fun anymore even when I can play without bugs. It's frustrating because I really love the game, Season 2 has really ruined my experience entirely. I almost wish they'd just revert everything back to Season 1, at least the game worked for me.
Or build a pc and get a 144hz monitor.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So the update yesterday broke chests and drops. Every game I have at least 1-2 chests that don't give anything (the shine around them disappears but they don't open and there's no loot). Some chests give ammo, healing & other items but don't give any weapons. And drops leave emptiness behind fairly often. How do you break such a basic, fundamental, been-there-from-day-1 feature like treasure chests (to such a degree), I know not, but Epic has the incompetence to do just that, sigh.

This game is such a dumpster fire currently, especially for a console player (I'm sorry PC nerds but GTFO of our player pools). Not sure why I keep playing, probably because I need to keep my mind off of... stuff, it's the only time I interact much with my big brother, don't want to spend money on PS+ currently (so better premium multiplayers are out of the question) and I don't want to start learning a new F2P game like Apex Legend (or can't get my brother to start anything with me). I'm stuck with Fortnite if I want some free (competitive) multiplayer fun on PS4 with my brother.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
My lad who would play Fortnite 26 hours a day if he could has dropped it to go back to Overwatch.
Ya, BR and StW are both in doodoo positions right now. Console performance is terrible, no way to turn off cross play, an immense amount of death inducing bugs which have been here for like 5 months due to the engine switch, another boring shotgun meta, too long of a season, and more!

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, since the lightsaber/snowstorm stuff ended I haven't booted up Fortnite single time 'just for fun'. I only played to at least complete the challenges for the skin variants, but the game is a serious snoozefest atm so I don't see myself play much more outside of unlocks until season 2 happens.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It also doesn't help that Fortnite BR follows the same idealogy as a lot of other free games with the FOMO/"you had to be there" events or updates. This causes people who miss out to just not bother coming back because why bother having to regrind or never have that cool skin others have. It's why I'm not playing anymore, alongside the game just being shit for me.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
For those who play on Switch, how are you doing generally? Do you constantly place in the top 5? I know the level is lower than on other consoles/PC, but I still can't say if I'm decent at the game or if just patronizes me. I got two wins this morning and both times, the other person didn't even bother shooting back. I'd assumed that at this stage of the match, the bots are long gone, but maybe not.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
It also doesn't help that Fortnite BR follows the same idealogy as a lot of other free games with the FOMO/"you had to be there" events or updates. This causes people who miss out to just not bother coming back because why bother having to regrind or never have that cool skin others have. It's why I'm not playing anymore, alongside the game just being shit for me.
They are pretty generous and forgiving when it comes to those types of events though right? I mean for this season you've had more than 3 months to unlock all the season stuff. For the Christmas event, you didn't have to open all the presents to get the skins and they gave you more than enough days to log in. The Star Wars event ended up just giving the glider to everyone.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They are pretty generous and forgiving when it comes to those types of events though right? I mean for this season you've had more than 3 months to unlock all the season stuff. For the Christmas event, you didn't have to open all the presents to get the skins and they gave you more than enough days to log in. The Star Wars event ended up just giving the glider to everyone.
Typically the "you should of been there" attitude is not necessarily the time to do the thing but that it isn't longer lasting/impactful to the game that it makes you feel like you lost out if you weren't there day one. It is silly but it definitely challenges quite a few people to play the game.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I've been hooked on this again. Truly think it's a great game still. Had my battle pass at level 20 when I came back to playing and am already past tier 100 feels great and generous with the leveling which has made me appreciate it more. I've played way more Modern Warfare this season and that Battle Pass I have only at level 41, with so much more playtime. It's crazy slow.

Anyway I've been working a lot on my mechanics in the game, doing practice in creative mode. A lot of people that bitch about this game hate on the building but really it is an amazing dynamic to the combat. In fact it likely takes more skill than many other shooters and I think people get butthurt about being bad at it when they hate on it.

I think the game still has an awesome graphics style with the skins blowing away anything in other battle royales. I'm looking forward to see what this new update tomorrow brings that is supposed to have a brand new physics system. Hopefully it is awesome and an exciting change for everyone that has been too bored with the simple gameplay this season. Also hopefully there is a few more additions to surprise with the update.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hooked on this again. Truly think it's a great game still. Had my battle pass at level 20 when I came back to playing and am already past tier 100 feels great and generous with the leveling which has made me appreciate it more. I've played way more Modern Warfare this season and that Battle Pass I have only at level 41, with so much more playtime. It's crazy slow.

Anyway I've been working a lot on my mechanics in the game, doing practice in creative mode. A lot of people that bitch about this game hate on the building but really it is an amazing dynamic to the combat. In fact it likely takes more skill than many other shooters and I think people get butthurt about being bad at it when they hate on it.

I think the game still has an awesome graphics style with the skins blowing away anything in other battle royales. I'm looking forward to see what this new update tomorrow brings that is supposed to have a brand new physics system. Hopefully it is awesome and an exciting change for everyone that has been too bored with the simple gameplay this season. Also hopefully there is a few more additions to surprise with the update.

The building and editing mechanic is so fun. Watching these pros like Bugah and these creative warriors build and edit on the fly is a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaand now they've broken farming materials. The weak spots don't seem to work most of the time.

What's the next fundamental thing they'll break, shooting?

Also SBMM was working on overdrive tonight and there were seemingly only PC superrnerds in the games we got thrown into. Filled with far too quick builders/editers and impossibly good aimers for most of those to be console players. Generally even in the sweatiest games I can get some 5-6 kills but in these games I was struggling to get 1 because every opponent was either building too well for me to be able to do much beyond some initial hit of 18 damage or they one-shotted me after I did 23 damage. The last game we played I only managed to do 156 damage altogether. -_-;

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand now they've broken farming materials. The weak spots don't seem to work most of the time.

What's the next fundamental thing they'll break, shooting?

Also SBMM was working on overdrive tonight and there were seemingly only PC superrnerds in the games we got thrown into. Filled with far too quick builders/editers and impossibly good aimers for most of those to be console players. Generally even in the sweatiest games I can get some 5-6 kills but in these games I was struggling to get 1 because every opponent was either building too well for me to be able to do much beyond some initial hit of 18 damage or they one-shotted me after I did 23 damage. The last game we played I only managed to do 156 damage altogether. -_-;
Almost lost a StW mission cause of that.

Lol, that already happens whenever you respawn from the reboot van.

So much jank for the past 6 months

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wasn't particularly feeling the new love and war mode at first but after some time getting used to the map I'm now absolutely loving it, as long as people don't drop out of course which happens if you start losing.

Had this amazing moment where it was round 7 of 7 and down to me vs 4 people and I managed to save it for the team.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Just played a round of squads and the 3 other players noped out at the beginning, but I thought I would keep playing to see where this would go. At the end, it was just me and a squad of 3 people on top of a hill. I don't know how, but I managed to defeat them all, one by one and win the game.

Then right after, I decided to play a game of solos and I lost almost all my life taking out 3rd place and only had a few small potions. I think I had like 20hp or something ridiculous like that. Of course, the only player left is an Über builder, constructing 3 story towers in milliseconds. Slowly but surely, I managed to pump a few rounds into him/her at a time until they tried to jump on top of me, but a nicely aimed shotgun blast took them out nicely.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
For those who play on Switch, how are you doing generally? Do you constantly place in the top 5? I know the level is lower than on other consoles/PC, but I still can't say if I'm decent at the game or if just patronizes me. I got two wins this morning and both times, the other person didn't even bother shooting back. I'd assumed that at this stage of the match, the bots are long gone, but maybe not.

I tried playing Fortnite a few times on PS4. Gave up quickly, lots of wandering around places that had already been looted and then when I did bump into people they built super fast and killed me in no time. I think because I was against PC players which was a bit unfair.

So figured I'd try on Switch, four games, won twice. I may be the best player in the world. This while fumbling with the controls, once I've learned them I may be unbeatable. Just looked up why it's so easy and... I'm against mobile players? Damn I'm basically the PC players I once hated.

Edit: can only assume I was on some noob server because it's more like the PS4 experience now. Damn I suck at this game, once someone builds a protective tower I'm screwed.

Last edited:

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Anyone have any goals they're trying to reach before the new Season begins?

Even though purple Rippley is my favorite Battle Pass Outfit, I want to unlock Scratch before the new Season. Luckily, I'm very close. Just gotta get one elimination wearing the 8-Ball Outfit. Would've knocked that out last night, but I didn't have time.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any secret colors for skins this season outside of the green and gray styles for the Week 7 skin?

I ended up playing way more than I expected to this season. I came back just to grind out the level 350 Scratch skin, but I've just kept on playing doing Squad fills. I've had a lot of fun wins thanks to the unpredictable nature of randoms and having to go save their asses from some of the worst situations imaginable.

I'm at like 419 now or something and I straight up didn't play for a while after the first two weeks.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Are there any secret colors for skins this season outside of the green and gray styles for the Week 7 skin?

I ended up playing way more than I expected to this season. I came back just to grind out the level 350 Scratch skin, but I've just kept on playing doing Squad fills. I've had a lot of fun wins thanks to the unpredictable nature of randoms and having to go save their asses from some of the worst situations imaginable.

I'm at like 419 now or something and I straight up didn't play for a while after the first two weeks.
How the hell have you got that high? I'm at around 200 now and can't figure out how on Earth I'm going to get to 350 before season end :(

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell have you got that high? I'm at around 200 now and can't figure out how on Earth I'm going to get to 350 before season end :(
Honestly, outside of finishing any challenge you haven't already done, grinding Team Rumble is the best way to gain XP. Just get gold scavenger and Battle medals each game.

Now, with only a week left, it will be a struggle. Focusing on challenges is the number one priority though.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Honestly, outside of finishing any challenge you haven't already done, grinding Team Rumble is the best way to gain XP. Just get gold scavenger and Battle medals each game.

Now, with only a week left, it will be a struggle. Focusing on challenges is the number one priority though.
To be honest, all I have left are the stretch goals. I wonder if it'll be enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Save the World fun/worth buying? I feel sure as soon as I will buy it, it'll go free to play.

I really like STW more than BR even though I have not played it in a couple months. They have really polished and added onto that mode an insane amount. I actually participated in the alpha years ago, years before BR was even an idea. I gave them feedback they should add a pvp mode btw, you are all welcome BR players! ;)

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Is Save the World fun/worth buying? I feel sure as soon as I will buy it, it'll go free to play.
It has some fun-though-inconsequential/fairly superficial writing that's 100% just spoken dialogue/monologue during & in between missions that you just listen in the menus or during the initial minutes of missions (and maybe when achieving some mid mission goals). There are no cutscenes. Not the most engaging style of storytelling, even if most of the characters are fun, but it makes for an entertaining listen. Too bad you can't listen to anything ever again so if you miss something because you got distracted, tough luck (unless someone has saved all the dialogue to Youtube or something).

As a game... there's a good game under too much super-grindy, nearly endless "look-numbers-go-up" gacha/F2P leveling up & the mission types end up being fairly repetitive in the long run. The base building tower defense aspect is fun, especially the persistent base in each region, but the game gives way too little materials so gathering materials is a bit too prominent a part of the game when doing normal missions, especially if you end up being the one to do most of the building just because you don't want to waste your time with countless failed missions because no one else knows what the fuck they are doing or what kind of defenses you need at minimum to survive missions.

If you're alone, I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. The random team mates can be such a shitshow (they don't build, they leave the game mid mission after you've already spent thousands of materials, they are shitty players who don't know how to play the game, they don't help you), especially later on when solo-ing basic missions starts not being feasible (it's possible but you'd need an insane amount of materials and gathering those will take forever). Early missions are more soloable or at least not as much of a disaster with shitty team mates, especially with some leveling, so you might find yourself thinking you can get all the way through but the last region in particular stops being fun. It just ramps up the difficulty way too much and no amount of leveling seemed to make them more tolerable.

If you can find 2-3 people to play STW with, then it might be worth all the downsides but alone it's just a huge slog of a grind because you can't rely on having 2-3 decent team mates 80% of the time.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I played with randoms all the way through late Twine and never had any huge issues. Also, you can repay dialogue in the completed quests section of the quest tab.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mobius and Pet Octopus ,Famassu False Witness thanks so much for the informative replies!

For some reason I thought the game was supposed to be PvE with completely optional co-op.. I don't really like the pressure of feeling like I have to be on my game with randos or people I don't know irl.

I didn't used to enjoy fornite all that much when I first started playing it in 2018 so I dropped it. But for some reason I started playing it again and it just clicked and I'm having a blast. Can come top 3 way more regularly than I I used to be able to.

I think I just care less if I die as a fair amount of luck can be involved, but it often gets my heart going when I get to the last 10.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Mobius and Pet Octopus ,Famassu False Witness thanks so much for the informative replies!

For some reason I thought the game was supposed to be PvE with completely optional co-op.. I don't really like the pressure of feeling like I have to be on my game with randos or people I don't know irl.

I didn't used to enjoy fornite all that much when I first started playing it in 2018 so I dropped it. But for some reason I started playing it again and it just clicked and I'm having a blast. Can come top 3 way more regularly than I I used to be able to.

I think I just care less if I die as a fair amount of luck can be involved, but it often gets my heart going when I get to the last 10.
With some extra grinding you can solo most of the first 3 regions (some mission types better than others), but I'm not sure if you'll have much fun doing so (the base defenses are fun challenges alone because of the persistent nature of them but the resetting basic missions... Those are less so). The final, fourth region is not realistically soloable outside of maybe a couple of mission types, at least not without extremely excessive material gathering.

You're probably doing better because the game has skill based matchmaking and bots nowadays. So if you haven't played since 2018, that probably affects what level of players your games have. Before you often had some of the sweatiest nerds against you no matter how much of a n00b you were.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Eh, I think i'm finally done with the game now. I tried to get back into things but the game is just too sweaty and try-hard for me to have a good time. I went from winning maybe every 5-7 games to every 13-15 games. This game has definitely been one of the highlights on this gen for me so i'm thankful for all the fun that it has given but I just can't do the grind anymore.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you don't have to try nearly as hard in squads, which makes it more fun at this point where everyone is a certified sweat.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

If nothing else, whatever you pay for StW the game will more than pay for itself in free V-buck rewards soon enough. While I agree with a lot of what Famassu said, especially about the grind, from my experience I've found StW can be solo'd quite well, and that's how I continue to play even after reaching the end of the final region. Sure there are team missions that you don't bother with, I mean most can be solo'd, but they are not worth the time or effort simply because they are designed for a team. If you want a safe experience playing with rando's, then stick with the V-buck reward missions as most that go into those are in it for the money just as much as you. Learning how to strategically deploy traps and defenders will greatly enhance your experience as a solo player. I also like how customisable and tweakable the game is to suit your play style.

Also, Epic has taken a few baby steps forward to help prevent people from trying to leach off the efforts of everyone else on the team. Before some would join the team and then sit there and literally do nothing the entire time, but still get the rewards at the end. Now if your character is idle for too long you get booted from the mission, or if you don't help out then you don't get an equal slice from the reward pie. Stuff like that helps, but obviously there are still going to be asshats, just as there are asshats in every game.

Oct 25, 2017
STW does have a grind component to it. I am in the third region. I played the first region solo, I think twice. Once in alpha and once after release. But, in a weird way the grind in this type of game is not an issue. Yeah, you may eventually burn out or move on to another game at some point, but that is okay. OTOH, you can always come back and progress or do one of the seasonal events which there always seems to be one rotating. I do not play a lot of STW these days, mostly cause I do not want to have a huge game installed that I do not play regularly. But I remember it fondly and would not mind jumping in for a game here and there.

There is always more to progress. It is just that type of game. You either like it or... maybe you do not 🤷. I think if the gameplay is fun, anyone can enjoy the progression model though. It is not overly demanding at least. It is not like if you miss playing for a week or couple months, you fall behind a sort of power curve, like in a MMORPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.