• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Full Details
Fortnite Battle Royale Chapter 4 is here! With the release of the new Chapter, Fortnite Battle Royale now makes use of Unreal Engine 5's newest, most innovative features, via Unreal Engine 5.1.

Unreal Engine 5 ushers in a generational leap in visual fidelity, bringing an unprecedented level of detail to game worlds like the Battle Royale Island. Next-gen Unreal Engine 5 features such as Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, and Temporal Super Resolution are now available in Fortnite Battle Royale on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and cloud gaming!

Tech Overview:

NANITE

Nanite provides highly-detailed architectural geometry. Specifically, buildings are rendered from millions of polygons in real time, and each brick, stone, wood plank, and wall trim is modeled.

Natural landscapes are highly-detailed too. Individual trees have around 300,000 polygons, and each stone, flower, and blade of grass is modeled.

LUMEN

Lumen reflections provide high-quality ray traced reflections on glossy materials and water.

Also, Lumen provides real-time global illumination at 60 FPS. You'll see beautiful interior spaces with bounce lighting, plus characters reacting to the lighting of their surroundings. (For example, red rugs may bounce red light onto your Outfit.) Also, Outfits that have emissive (a.k.a. glowing) qualities will scatter light on nearby objects and surfaces.

VIRTUAL SHADOW MAPS

Virtual Shadow Maps allow for highly detailed shadowing. Each brick, leaf, and modeled detail will cast a shadow, and character self-shadowing is extremely accurate. This means that things like hats and other small details on characters will also cast shadows.

TEMPORAL SUPER RESOLUTION (TSR)

Temporal Super Resolution is an upgrade over Temporal Anti-Aliasing in Fortnite, and allows for high-quality visuals at a high framerate.
Screenshots:
fortnite-unreal-engine-5-1-screenshot-2-1920x1080-4a60783b91fa.jpg

fortnite-unreal-engine-5-1-screenshot-3-1920x1080-e82bea6325ed.jpg

fortnite-unreal-engine-5-1-screenshot-4-1920x1080-8e223414c54c.jpg

fortnite-unreal-engine-5-1-screenshot-1-1920x1080-89e2d8f934ed.jpg

More screenshots from user The Benz:
The visual jump here is actually pretty astonishing. This is the most impressed I've ever been by a season update. I took some screenshots real quick on PS5.

Lo9FEZi.jpg

NL91rOy.jpg

mFvUlUK.jpg
zZjReJ1.jpg

hf5ef1N.jpg

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
One of my friends play it on a toaster, hope it doesn't makes it unplayable for him

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
One of my friends play it on a toaster, hope it doesn't makes it unplayable for him
We can turn all those features off on PC.

On their blog, Epic also recommends using Nvidia GeForce Now for people playing on "toasters", but still want these new graphical features.

Also, PS5/Series X users will have to disable the 120fps mode to see these features.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Very nice. Guess this makes it the first full featured UE5 game. I've always thought the prior switch to UE5 was kind of wasted with Fortnite. The RT effects were still the old UE4 ones which were so expensive they were pretty much unusable and the shader compilation stutter was insane. Will be interesting to see how this fares.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Is this their first move to UE5 or is it just a big deal because of all the goodies in the 5.1 version?

pikachuizgod

Apr 19, 2019
2080 is recommended for Nanite, for people wondering, don't think my 1070 TI will cut it unfortunately, but my PS5 should be good.

not sure if that's Lumen AND Nanite, or whether you even have the option to use Nanite without Lumen?

but still just thought I'd let people know

also those screens just look insane

that first one and the third one with the grass just wow

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OK, I'll download it for third time (after playing an hour on PS4 and an hour on XSX) to just see those features!

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gonna be hard to give up 120fps on PS5 but I'm definitely gonna check it out as those shots look fantastic.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
If those features are on console we'd have probably the first 60fps Nanite/Lumen game on consoles.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Probably been said a million times but damn do I wish this was on Unreal Tournament. Oh well, looks nice.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
At last, nanite and lumen are available outside of tech demos.

"Note: DLSS in Fortnite on PC is temporarily disabled as we test to ensure it works properly alongside the UE5 features."

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We can turn all those features off on PC.

On their blog, Epic also recommends using Nvidia GeForce Now for people playing on "toasters", but still want these new graphical features.

Also, PS5/Series X users will have to disable the 120fps mode to see these features.
Figured I think I'll switch to 60 fps cuz those screenshots look amazing.

Brawler1

Dec 4, 2022
Wow, I might have to finally try out this game, looks great. Interesting to see on how it will perform on PC.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I hope the grass is Nanite'd and there is an extreme settings where it's just rendered as far as the eye can see.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems I picked a good time to jump into Fortnite. Been impatiently waiting to play a game utilizing UE5 in a big way!

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
...and everyone that play the game competitively will turn every setting down like always :'D

Cool tech tho, I'm curious to see how it will look/run.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
might have to switch off the 120fps mode on the PS5 version if this is the case, unless they can improve that mode a little bit more - it already had very soft image quality and missing visual features but now the trade off might be too large to ignore. those screens look great.

i wonder if the DF team could look into this upgrade

Aug 31, 2019
I have never played fortnite, but this seems like a low cost way of checking this technology out.

Also, I watched the trailer from the other thread: it didn't look like it was enabled in any of that?

(also, wow I know nothing about this game: I knew their had skins but I didn't realise they had specific abilities)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this update out? Never played Fortnite but I'm interested in checking out just how poorly nanite and stuff runs on my PC lol.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Now available ?
Meaning if i download and boot this now on Series X this is what I'm getting? Right now ?

Oook, time to see what Fortnite is all about I guess.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
too bad every time you hit a wall, it'll just be like all jiggly and not satisfyingly destruct.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Game runs like booty cheeks with DX12

Stuttery mess, does this work on dx11 too?

I have a 3080/5800x3d so it's not my specs

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Nice. Iirc Epic wanted to wait with some of these features unless they could get it all running at 60fps, so it seems the time has arrived. I still think it will take a year or two before we see all of this as the "default" featureset for UE5 based games.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Haven't played Fortnite since the first hear. It's crazy hov much the graphics have evolved in that time. I remember the rivers just being a flat ground texture. Vehicles was an unthinkable concept.