• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The arguments in here trying to defend this are pretty funny.

"Sony denying access to their massive install base"

From the same scholars that brought us

"This doesn't affect enough people to change Sony's mind"

So which is it? Either Sony is scared of losing millions of sales or it's such a small number that they should just allow it because it's the right thing to do.

If you're legitimately defending this or finding excuses on behalf of Sony, you should probably question your love of this hobby.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't you guys think it can have to do with micros transactions ? Don't wants all the skins and stuff money .... no you can buy a skin on Xbox and use it on switch for exemple. Of course it sux but maybe ?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So.. can I unlink PS4 from my Epic account, and then play on Switch and Xbox?

Can someone verify this? I don't want to lose my progress.

Don't you guys think it can have to do with micros transactions ? Don't wants all the skins and stuff money .... no you can buy a skin on Xbox and use it on switch for exemple. Of course it sux but maybe ?

But I can share the same account between PS4, PC and IOS (I use all three). This shares my entire progress and inventory.

It is just PS4 -> XB and Switch that is the problem.
Once you play on PS4, you are locked to that console for all other consoles.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

No you can't. Linking your Epic account with your PS4 is like a permanent disease. Once it's been linked once, there's no way to undo the damage. Unlinking it won't fix the issue

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

But I can share the same account between PS4, PC and IOS (I use all three). This shares my entire progress and inventory.

It is just PS4 -> XB and Switch that is the problem.
Once you play on PS4, you are locked to that console for all other consoles.
No, unlinking will not unlock the other platforms for use thanks to Sony.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

That's actually a very consumer friendly policy. Don't force people to buy shit twice or repeat progress they've already made. Even if that means leaving a small cut of the share to your competitor.

Same as with micro transactions and loot boxes. Just because you can monetize every single fart im a maximal predatory fashion and rely on compulsive ess of people to make them. go along with it doesn't mean you should do it. In the long run, restraint is probably going to pay off more. See the shitstorm EA started with Battlefront 2.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No you can't. Linking your Epic account with your PS4 is like a permanent disease. Once it's been linked once, there's no way to undo the damage. Unlinking it won't fix the issue
No, unlinking will not unlock the other platforms for use thanks to Sony.

Thank you both. Damn. :/ I really want to play on Switch and XBX, but this is an old Epic account and certainly don't want to create a second one.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The best way to send a message would be to encourage a boycott of any purchases on PS4. If you were planning on making a purchase, make it on pc or mobile instead so Sony doesn't get a cent.
I've been doing this for a while now, not because of crossplay but because sony has yet to convince me any purchases I make this gen will play on the ps5. I have been buying all my games on pc or Xbox becsuse of this.

Sony...really needs to try harder right now. People will say the market lead and the buckets of money being made are enough but really, its not. Not if youre subtly frustrating your customer base more and more, forcing them to look for alternatives.
Eventually, people find them.

Mister Saturn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even though I don't like it, I can understand Sony's stance on refusing crossplay between the PlayStation and other consoles. I don't doubt that they believe ceding this aspect to their direct competition is dangerous when considering that Microsoft and (probably) Nintendo are much more financially stable and can afford some, "sharing of the ecosystem."

That said, this kind of behavior is absolutely bullshit, and it won't take many of these sorts of moves to poison their relationship with a fair bit of their customer base.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Oh Sony blow too, but this is on Epics stupid system too, if you delink your PSN account, it shouldn't keep you locked from the Switch or Xbox One.

I'm totally fine with unlinking my PSN and getting away from Sonys shitty isolation, but I can't even do that due to Epic's system.

You can't. Sony just isn't letting you keep any of your shit that you earned or bought. I say Sony, because it makes absolutely no sense for epic to wipe progress on disassociating accounts. And their little disclaimer says that they can't do anything about it.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
How come journalists aren't lighting a fire under Sony's feet? What the fuck is wrong with whoever is approving this decision over at Sony.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
You can, Sony just isn't letting you keep any of your shit that you earned or bought. I say Sony, because it makes absolutely no sense for epic to wipe progress on disassociating accounts. And their little disclaimer says that they can't do anything about it.
That isn't how it works. Even if you de-link your PSN account, you're still locked from ever playing on the Switch or Xbox with it.

I wish they just got rid of the PS+ skins from my account and let me play on Switch or Xbox over it. I'd GLADLY let them do that.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Goddammit sony... There's no real reason to have this barrier when everyone else is open to it.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't have the time to download it. How does it looks in comparison with other consoles? (l know wrong topic, was asking about Switch version)

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
HOLY SHIT THIS WORKED. As seen on reddit - I just unlinked my PSN account from my main EPIC account that was also linked with Xbox. I then linked my PSN it to a new EPIC account that i just made. Finally, i was then able to link my Switch account with my Xbox on the original EPIC account.

ALL PROGRESS AND SKINS ARE AVAILABLE ON BOTH SYSTEMS. I logged into both my Switch and Xbox and all of my stuff is there.

So yeah, its confirmed, if you unlink your PSN, then create a new EPIC account and link it with your PSN, you can go back to your original EPIC account and link your Switch.

SPREAD THE WORD. A WORK AROUND HAS BEEN FOUND.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People defending mega corporations.... I'll never understand. I can all but guarantee that the playerbase on pc/Xbox/switch/Mobile is much bigger than the playerbase just on ps4.
Fanboys will be fanboys. Look on the brightside, at least there's no way you'll ever encounter him in Fortnite unless you're playing the PS4 version. Sounds like a win to me.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT THIS WORKED. As seen on reddit - I just unlinked my PSN account from my main EPIC account that was also linked with Xbox. I then linked my PSN it to a new EPIC account that i just made. Finally, i was then able to link my Switch account with my Xbox on the original EPIC account.

ALL PROGRESS AND SKINS ARE AVAILABLE ON BOTH SYSTEMS. I logged into both my Switch and Xbox and all of my stuff is there.

So yeah, its confirmed, if you unlink your PSN, then create a new EPIC account and link it with your PSN, you can go back to your original EPIC account and link your Switch.
There's other people on reddit saying that didn't work?

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017

Whoa, really? Ok damn, well I unlinked my PSN account from my Epic account but obviously that didn't help me so I just had to create a new Epic account for Switch. So you're telling me I can link my PSN account to a new Epic account and then link my Nintendo account to my original Epic account and all my PS4 progress and shit will transfer over to Switch?!

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Even though I don't like it, I can understand Sony's stance on refusing crossplay between the PlayStation and other consoles. I don't doubt that they believe ceding this aspect to their direct competition is dangerous when considering that Microsoft and (probably) Nintendo are much more financially stable and can afford some, "sharing of the ecosystem."

That said, this kind of behavior is absolutely bullshit, and it won't take many of these sorts of moves to poison their relationship with a fair bit of their customer base.
You are talking about the lack of crossplay. That is not what people are so upset about here, The problem is that if (for example) you bought content on PC (NOT on PS4) and even once played with that account on PS4, the content you bought elsewhere is now locked to PS.

Deleted member 35446

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Even if the largest player base argument was relevant, Fortnite might have more players on PC alone than on PS4 judging by streaming numbers and third party applications that compare PUBG PC vs Fortnite PC numbers.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA

Link to the reddit thread?

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): History of Trolling
Sony built it's PS4 player base through being all about games, allowing switching HDDs, not forcing media player costs on the players, nor Kinect or whatever, which is why they are at 80+ consoles sold with about 50+ million online users; more than It's console competitors combined, and doubled.

The PS4 online player base is not what their competitors DESERVE, however, it's what their competors' players NEED right now.

As a PS4 player I want the best games, and the best online. I am in no need for more online people to play against, however: I feel sympathy for gamers of competing platforms. They deserve a big player base as well, even if the companies which they support did not build that this generation, all gamers in my mind are just that; gamers. And all gamers are created equal.

No matter if you prefer Halo over Zelda, or if you think Mario Kart is better than Forza or Wipeout, everyone should have a chance to play with eachother. So I think Sony should allow it.

However, Sony should get 1 dollar per user, per month from their competitors. This money should go into the PS Network, to have an even beter service. Or maybe put that money towards the development for a new indie title which would be created for PS+. Or maybe give it to charity. I don't know. MS or Nintendo should pay for the gesture, because that brings value to their platforms, and it inspires them to create a compelling ecosystem for their users to invest in, so that one day, all platforms have the same userbase, not needing to piggyback on the big generational winner for player, but all contributing to 1 big online pool.

My 2 cents.

TLDR:
-All gamers are created equal and deserve access to Sony PS4 online player base
-Their competitors should pay for this access as it brings value to their platforms
-It would be even better if all 3 platforms in the future are equally as strong as every company would benefit

wtf? I dont understand.
Because it makes owning their platform more attractive. And it brings more strain on the PSN possibly?

Last edited:

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

How could your epic account be tied to psn and xbox live ?

Oct 27, 2017
No matter if you prefer Halo over Zelda, or if you think Mario Kart is better than Forza or Wipeout, everyone should have a chance to play with eachother. So I think Sony should allow it.

However, Sony should get 1 dollar per user, per month from their competitors. This money should go into the PS Network, to have an even beter service. Or maybe put that money towards the development for a new indie title which would be created for PS+. Or maybe give it to charity. I don't know. MS or Nintendo should pay for the gesture, because that brings value to their platforms, and it inspires them to create a compelling ecosystem for their users to invest in, so that one day, all platforms have the same userbase, not needing to piggyback on the big generational winner for player, but all contributing to 1 big online pool.

My 2 cents.
wtf? I dont understand.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Be careful. Quite possible this is someone messing with people to get them to delink and lose all their stuff. I'd wait for a lot of verification of this before trying it yourself.
I didn't think it actually wiped progress on your account anyway, just on your PSN, which makes sense because you're removing it.

But yeah I wasn't going to bother trying it anyway.

Mister Saturn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You are talking about the lack of crossplay. That is not what people are so upset about here, The problem is that if (for example) you bought content on PC (NOT on PS4) and even once played with that account on PS4, the content you bought elsewhere is now locked to PS.
Right, that's what I was trying to say but I could've worded it better. Sony actively blocking a third-party user account from being useable elsewhere is 100% fucking despicable, especially when purchases were made with that third-party account.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sony built it's PS4 player base through being all about games, allowing switching HDDs, not forcing media player costs on the players, nor Kinect or whatever, which is why they are at 80+ consoles sold with about 50+ million online users; more than It's console competitors combined, and doubled.

The PS4 online player base is not what their competitors DESERVE, however, it's what their competors' players NEED right now.

As a PS4 player I want the best games, and the best online. I am in no need for more online people to play against, however: I feel sympathy for gamers of competing platforms. They deserve a big player base as well, even if the companies which they support did not build that this generation, all gamers in my mind are just that; gamers. And all gamers are created equal.

My 2 cents.
dude

I mean this post is genuinely on the same level as "Square just shot themselves in the foot" in terms of just how absolutely absurd it is, top to bottom.

Deleted member 2945

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility toward another user

My 2 cents.

TLDR:
-Their competitors should pay for this access as it brings value to their platforms
-It would be even better if all 3 platforms in the future are equally as strong as every company would benefit

Because it makes owning their platform more attractive. And it brings more strain on the PSN possibly?

I don't say this to be funny, you sound like a fucking idiot.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

My 2 cents.

TLDR:

LOL!