• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
MOD EDIT2:

Alright, to make a few things clear

1) Keep your console warrior bullshit out of this thread. These multi-billion corporations do not need your defense in a thread on a video game forum and we do not need this topic to be derailed because of your insecurity.
2) "Only ResetEra cares about crossplay" is an incredibly naive take on this situation as we had multiple execs and major devs comment on what many warped minds perceive as a niche issue. Knock this shit off as well.
3) If your best argument against cross-play is "well I do not care about cross-play", then you may as well not make a post at all in this topic.

This thread has generated a fair amount of reports already and we are not interested in closing this thread just because of constant derails by people dismissing the topic at hand.

Future derails may be penalized harsher than before.

Back to the topic.

MOD EDIT: Stop threadwhining. If you aren't interested in the topic, you don't have to post. Members complaining that people care about this topic will receive warnings.

vnigZF2.png

Well ... That went into the other direction pretty fast.

After Epic and MS announced Xbox cross-platform play for Fortnite for all platforms excluding PS4, both try to push for a complete cross-platform pool.

I think this deserves its own thread. Both Epic and MS officially have no problem with cross-console-play.

Just like in Rocket League I don't expect Sony to have any interest in this though. For the players! Or children ... Or ... Ah I don't know actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Would you let Burger King sell their menu at your McDonald's?

Not going to happen.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Are we going to see this with every popular online game? First Minecraft, then Rocket League and now Fortnite..

Oct 25, 2017
at this point its pretty obvious it's not going to happen anytime soon until there is an announcement. We're still in the same position we were in last year. Nothing has changed.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It'll happen when PS5 and Xbox 2 release when the field is even. This generation is a lost cause, sadly; Sony is too invested in the PS4 hardware ($$$$$$) to focus on the reality of accessibility and unity.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has literally nothing to gain from doing so. It would be far more beneficial to their competitors then it would be for them.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People trying to catch up say a lot of things. If the shoe was on the other foot, the situation would be reversed. Actually, didn't Microsoft use the same excuse last generation, but stated 100% better?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Can we really trust the Fortnite Twitter though?

We've all seen the patch notes and those are as irrefutable a source as they come.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's pretty shitty that a lot of developers want crossplay for their games and Sony's holding it up

you can say a lot of things about MS vs. Sony but the fact that the actual developers of the games are being shafted as well sucks

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think it would've been better PR for Sony to just say outright that we don't want to due to business and competitive reasons. The children thing and whatever else just made the situation that much more worse and made it something people remember instead of simply saying, "We're a business and Xbox is a competitor". There would be a short uproar but people would understand and the issue would fade out. Instead of that, a meme is born that will probably last till PS5 and X2 come out.

I don't blame them at all. Who knows if MS would do this if the roles were reversed? Who knows if MS would be doing a bunch of the consumer-friendly stuff like the incredible Gamepass value if they were in first place? I prefer Xbox for what it's worth but tend to look at this stuff rationally with a business POV instead of with console war goggles.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
When I watch some of those Ali-A and iTemPlays Fortnite videos, I do think I can do better against PS4 players than XBox players lol.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
We knew this already. You can cross play on PS4. You just never will do so with Xbox players. How many threads are going to retread on this?

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I think it benifits all gamers equaly.

I'm a gamer not a business and it would be better for me but I don't see how it's a negative for anyone.

It's not like any system has any issues with audience as the game is HUGE!

People on their main system will probably still play and buy v bucks on their main system.

It just makes things so much easier for anyone to play how they want to play with who they want to play with in today's multi device world.

And not having to unlock or buy things again is just lovely.

I thought Rocket League, Minecraft the 6 Pc, Xbox, Switch Cross Play Games might have pushed stuff but I'm so glad Epic have a success here and are stubbornly pushing.

Just need one domino to set a precident.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I would guess part of the reason they're being a little more direct about the feelings behind the scenes is the way the original cross-play announcement got twisted to imply Xbox wasn't being supported in the new links between PC and mobile versions, which sounds like it's a day-and-date thing:

Fortnite Team news update said:
Contrary to what may have been implied, Microsoft has long been a leading voice in supporting cross-platform play, connecting players across PC, mobile and all consoles. We've been working together with them over the last several months to make this possible, and will bring this functionality to Fortnite players on Xbox right along with other platforms.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Cross-console Crossplay would probably save a whole lot of a dead shooters like Evolve and Battleborn. (save as in: keep then stable)

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Xbox and Switch owners "Hey can Sony come out and play today?"

Sony top guys "No Sony is busy with PC only sorry"

In all seriousness Sony need to change there stance on this situation. Well they don't need to but I would like it if they did.