• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
That works both ways. No need to get an Xbox either.

I'm one of the only PS4 players in my friends/family group. Maybe I would have stayed on the PS4 version and spent my money there if cross pay was a thing. Instead, I started playing on the Xbox version of Fortnite and spent money on micro transactions there.

At worst, Sony don't lose OR gain anything by allowing cross play. But at least their third party partners gain. Maybe they could think of them?

Your situation is the minority.

It is probably more likely it's the other way round.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they did this I would be more inclined to play on the PS4 with this game. I have a good amount of stuff that I done and bought on the xbox. There is no reason for me to start over on the ps4 so I would love this. And sony could get money from me when I buy more stuff for this game on the ps4.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
How many people fall under this category anymore? Friends and where they play is a huge determining factor when it comes to where I choose to spend my money. When the 360 took off, I went with the PS3 because that's where all of my friends were going. If all of my friends went and built gaming PCs in the next 6 months, I'd be on PC.
You edited out the part of my quote where I said it's not that common. I pretty much agree with you.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Does Sony gain any money from having crossplay?

Nobody is boycotting Sony for not having crossplay nor is it affecting sales. You wonder why they won't allow it.

MS on the other hand sorely needs good publicity so they can have good rep next gen.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Why does it bother people that other people want it? So you're happy with the current player numbers, so what? How does this affect you negatively other than adding a few new threads you should probably just ignore?

It's a tired subject with multiple threads regurgitating the same thing with the same outcome.
What do you think you will accomplish crying about it in different threads?All these balls in whatever companies court threads amount to nothingness. The answer will always be Sony do not allow it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wow so this is confirmation that Sony is the problem here.
We already knew if we were honest. But Sony doesnt care and i cant blame them.
But this PR regarding crossplay the whole time and it showing Sony the whole time in bad light probably dont sit right with them also.

Last edited:

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I assume this thread will be like the others, with people defending anti-consumer practices.

Yep and also bringing out stupid analogies and basically just saying the console sales winner each gen can screw over who ever they want cause you get some magical anti consumer ass hat trophy when you sell more consoles. Like they are ok with and expect the console sales winner to just stop trying.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony are such assholes about crossplay, even preventing Nintendo Switch players to play with PS4 players on Phantasy Star Online 2 despite the fact it's the same servers LOL. What a joke from such an arrogant company right now.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Userbase and exclusivities is what make ppl choose one console or another.

I don't want Sony to share it's userbase with MS or nintendo tbh. If they all wan't to make a common playground let them be but I don't want sony to join in.

The more ppl that buy a PS4 the better 'cause it will have more 3rd party support.

And if MS+nintendo end having more market combined good for them. But since nintendo isn't on par with the current gen it won't really matter.
Once nintendo gets on par woth ms and sony maybe it will all change but right now sony shouldn't give a hand to the other two.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
People thought MS was holding Xbox back from cross-play and cross-progression with everyone but PS4, which they were, as after "talks with EPIC" they have the same deal. Don't think anyone thought MS would be blocking the cross-play part though.

No. Microsoft would never have been blocking it. The announcement for Xbox came less than 24 hours after the Sony one.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a tired subject with multiple threads regurgitating the same thing with the same outcome.
What do you think you will accomplish crying about it in different threads?All these balls in whatever companies court threads amount to nothingness. The answer will always be Sony do not allow it.

#nops4drm

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
It's not really shocking news. The shocking part is people here who're defending Sony for this.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
My problem is when I think about my boy who is 8.

He LOVES Fortnite (as well as Minecraft & ROBLOX).

He plays on Xbox and will 100% play this on mobile also when it's out.

I love it now his progression, stats and accounts will carry over across everything. They are important to him and he doesn't have to split them amongst platforms.

Now here is the really shit bit. All the kids at school also play, Xbox, PS, and some PC. They will play all on mobile at times too as will a huge amount of new kids who don't have a console.

So sometimes he'll be able to play with his friends, sometimes he won't. So if he wants to play on the his favourite platform he can't play with everyone so he will have to play on mobile or not play with one set of friends.

What will end up happening is friends who have ps and Xbox won't play on either to play together and will use their parents phones or iPads instead as it will be too complicated to work out who is on what and if they are on mobile and some on consoles they will have to decide one group on which platform to drop for the session.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think we've established that Sony don't give a shit about crossplay between direct console competitors. Similar to MS last gen when they were top dog in the west. Maybe if they start losing users on a massive scale and the market actually shows it cares about crossplay at large, Sony would respond to that

Until then? Not gonna happen.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I don't want Sony to share it's userbase with MS or nintendo tbh. If they all wan't to make a common playground let them be but I don't want sony to join in.

The more ppl that buy a PS4 the better 'cause it will have more 3rd party support.

Interesting take.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
At this point they should just do it to stem the outrage, even though the benefits for Playstation gamers are rather minuscule. Microsoft and Nintendo have everything to gain here, of course they promote the hell out of this message.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is well aware of MS's corporate modus operandi of "Embrace-Extend-Extinguish" and would be fools to allow MS near anything they operate.

The real question is why Nintendo is allowing it. Are they not aware of MS even though Nintendo of America and Microsoft are literally located in the same town?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
A better way of saying this is: "Would you let your customers and Burger King customers sit at the same tables outside built and owned by your common partner Heinz who provides ketsup to both you and your competitor."

PSN isn't gaining or losing sales by allowing cross play. It's only gaining an even larger player base to keep the partner product healthy. You can't justify this anti-consumer stuff unless you just straight up are cool with companies being anti consumer.

It is not anti consumer. You can still choose to play Fortnite on Xbox One and are not stopped or hindered for doing so.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Then please feel free not to participate, it's clearly raising your blood pressure being in here.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
So you saying its ok for companies to be anticonsumer as long as its protecting corporate interests?
I'm saying it's not anti-consumer if it benefits the consumer.

If Sony aren't doing this, there is a reason. They have decided the cost is higher than the benefit, and presuming they're correct, that is good for their consumers.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation players are though it would benefit those players.

It would, although not supporting Xbox to PS4 cross play isn't negatively impacting their experience either, save for on Minecraft.

I think that's the key here. I see the term anti-consumer thrown around a lot here, but I don't think this is. My inkling is that they see this as something that Microsoft stands to gain more from, so they're not budging

It's pretty shitty, but hopefully they'll come around in time. What will make the difference here is developers of the bigger AAA games demanding they open the gates en-masse. Until that happens there won't be any change.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Sony doesn't view anyone else but Xbox as competition so I don't think they are going to budge on this issue any time soon.

Think about it, if you are in a dominant position and your competitor is trying to access your player base why would you agree to that?

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
The same reasons for/against cross-play with any other platform apply just as much to other consoles. This isn't zero sum: Sony isn't losing anything by allowing it.
No it doesn't lol. Their direct competitors are the consoles they have excluded from crossplay. Typing that they're all the same doesn't make it any more true. That's like asking why Sony would pay to keep a game off XB1 but not PC when "the reasons apply just as much"

In consumer view it's anti-consumer, in business view it's anti-business. We all know which way "any" company will take.
Like, nobody is saying ppl are wrong for wanting it. Just saying be realistic about it. It's not a detriment to the PS4, as long as it doesn't hurt them to exclude it they will keep doing so.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Sony is well aware of MS's corporate modus operandi of "Embrace-Extend-Extinguish" and would be fools to allow MS near anything they operate.

The real question is why Nintendo is allowing it. Are they not aware of MS even though Nintendo of America and Microsoft are literally located in the same town?

Wait, so because Fortnite wants to do crossplay (Just like Psyonix) its some sort of evil plan by MS? You should get your tinfoil hat out.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I'm saying it's not anti-consumer if it benefits the consumer.

If Sony aren't doing this, there is a reason. They have decided the cost is higher than the benefit, and presuming they're correct, that is good for their consumers.
How's is it good for their consumers when they can't play with their friends on competing platforms. Just sounds like it would be good for their profits but not consumers in general.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Skux, that analogy doesn't work.

First, nobody is suggesting that Xbox games be sold on PS4 marketplace, and vice versa

If you have a meal from burger king, you are able to walk into a McDonald's with it and sit+eat at the table with a friend eating a McDonald's meal. THATS the analogy.

And that means using McDonald's facilities and space without paying for anything at McDonald's.

Restaurants are well within their rights to restrict their tables to customers only. It's baffling that people aren't getting this when it comes to console ecosystems.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

The difference here, though, is that that campaign actually caught on. It absolutely blew up across social media, forums, and within the games media.

If this campaign for cross-play captured even 10% of the interest that did, then I'm sure it would have Sony scrambling. The reality is that it hasn't. (Although, I'd be interested to see how things unfolded if it did.)

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

And if MS+nintendo end having more market combined good for them. But since nintendo isn't on par with the current gen it won't really matter.
Once nintendo gets on par woth ms and sony maybe it will all change but right now sony shouldn't give a hand to the other two.
Why would allowing cross gen hamper 3rd party support, you don't think 3rd parties would like cross gen as it helps them have a healthy playerbase more easily for their product? 3rd parties want a healthy playerbase, sure large numbers of consumers help that, but so would cross gen. They aren't mutually exclusive things, Sony could have the good exclusives to entice people to buy their consoles as well as use cross gen for the good PR, as well as make a larege life span for the 3rd party gens - wouldn't that be a good thing for both sony and it's players?